PDA

View Full Version : 41% of Cabair students go straight to BA?!

Afraz
14th Nov 2008, 04:22
I was just looking at the cabair employment stats and they say 41% of thier intergrated students gained employment via BA? Now I have heard that BA accept very few low houred pilots (Captain Colin Dobney said only 10 low houred pilots gained employment with BA last year). But by the looks of it they have taken nearly the majority of Cabair students. If this is really the case, then it really does like intergrated students have a better chance of employment than modular students.

But I think out of all thier students only 62% gained employment. I think that anyway, I may have interpreted the statistics wrong, not my fault because they dont lay them out very well!

TopBunk
14th Nov 2008, 05:22
There are statistics, damned statistics and lies. While I am not saying that Cabair are lying with their 41% number, what is true is that what happened in the past is no guarantee of what happens in the future! That is to say that BA are not recruiting anyone at the present time, so take the statistical figure as an indication of what could happen not what will happen.

PS Maybe they still include me in the figures from the 1980's:ooh:

Afraz
14th Nov 2008, 06:37
When you trained at cabair back in the 1980's did you find it relativly easy to gain employment, or did you have to work damn hard to get your foot on the ladder. I know that these big FTO's make claims that they will help you gain employment because they have all the right contacts - is this really the case and do they leave the students to fend for themselves?

ford cortina
14th Nov 2008, 07:24
A word starting with B and ending in T comes to mind:eek:

TopBunk
14th Nov 2008, 07:28
It wasn't Cabair in those days, it was Trent Air Services who went bust and were bought out/taken over by Cabair in the early 90's.

I graduated at a time of expansion in the industry and was one of several lucky enough to pass selection for BA and be offered a job before finishing the course:ok:

In this industry it is all about timing, and being in the right place at the right time. Difficult to predict what will happen, but to my way of thinking, he next couple of years will be tough enough for those already with licences and relevant type ratings, let alone those with minimal hours and no type rating. Just look at the economy and the inferences are there for all to see.

Good luck

one post only!
14th Nov 2008, 08:19
Afraz, its definitely not your fault you can't interpret that statistics well!! They do it on purpose so that you can draw a conclusion they want you to. What is great so see is someone question it rather than believe it and be drawn in by the hype!!!
41% of all cadets?? Is it 41% out of the 61% who got employment got into BA?? Who knows!

Good to see someone doing lots of research though!

P.S how is Gary Glitter???? ;)

student88
15th Nov 2008, 01:09
How can you believe what "Captain Colin Dobney" is saying when the success list on SFC's website states students names who apparently have jobs with easyJet when they only went there for their Type Rating and 300 hours(ATP Scheme) and are now looking for a real employment!

PosClimb
15th Nov 2008, 08:25
How can you believe what "Captain Colin Dobney" is saying when the success list on SFC's website states students names who apparently have jobs with easyJet when they only went there for their Type Rating and 300 hours(ATP Scheme) and are now looking for a real employment!

I'm sorry, but if your'e a flying school sales manager, please don't include in your "success stories" newletter people who are paying to work for free...

I know you have to generate positive hype to sell your wares... but... you know...

preduk
15th Nov 2008, 08:48
Afraz,

Ok... When these sort of people who run the schools go to University or learn the marketing techniques they learn a skill called "Lying with Statistics" it's a very easy technique used by pretty much every industry including the FTOs.

As said on numerous posts, speak to ex-students/current students and get their opinion your not going to get exact figures on employment because they make them look better.

Flaperon75
15th Nov 2008, 10:22
That Cabair statistic is HILARIOUS!!

A handful of folk have passsed the BA assessment over the past 12 months. The number that are actually in employment with BA (as opposed to waiting in a hold pool) - low single figures!

captain_rossco
15th Nov 2008, 15:57
Ron Bergundy said it best,

'They've done studies, you know. 60% of the time it works, every time'.

Bloody statistics, perhaps 41% get jobs of the 20% that get interviews of 25% that the school put forward.

You can make it sound how you like, hey did you hear John McCain finished in the top two in the 2008/9 presidential campaign?

Regards

CR

preduk
15th Nov 2008, 16:10
90% of our student pilots got a job within 1month of qualifiying....

In McDonalds.

ChrisLKKB
15th Nov 2008, 16:56
Perhaps it means 41% of Cabair students go straight on to bugger-all, the rest do slightly worse :}