PDA

View Full Version : Flight Training Europe Assessment Day

pilot joshua 1
14th Nov 2008, 01:12
The assessment day at FTE.

Hey all,

I have browsed this website quite a lot in search of any help regarding assessment days. I have just returned back from FTE, and thought i should let you know exactly what its like. There is already some great advice on this forum concerning FTE, but after experiencing the assessment myself, I’ll point out the really important points. Hopefully this will be useful for anyone wanting a thorough breakdown of what happens.

I arrived at Jerez at about 9:00PM, to be met by a friendly man dressed in a suit, holding a sign reading “Flight Training Europe”. The mini bus ride to the campus takes about 5 minutes, as it really is based just outside of the airport.

Upon arrival, we were dropped off at our rooms, waiting for us was a letter welcoming me to FTE, and a packed lunch. Not the great packed lunch its made out to be, but there was nothing wrong with it. consisting of a cheese sandwich, Ham and cheese, yoghurt, and some sort of cake, with a can of lemon flavoured pop.

Now for the important bits, We were to report at the administration building at 9:15 in the morning. We were met by Mary Jo, who was extremely friendly and showed a group of 6 of us around the campus. This took an hour, and included everything from the simulators, engineering department, and classrooms.

It was then time for the written tests. First of all was numeracy 1. I dont think this has been given enough mention on previous posts. Numeracy 1 is a test of basic arithmetic and lasts for about 20 minutes. The questions include fractions, percentages, algebra (Solving Equations). Make sure you are familiar with Triangle and circle properties, Pythagorus theorem, and trigonometry. This test is classified as one of the easiest. But you need to be aware that this test carries a lot of weight. They use this test and the other maths test to predict how well you will do in ground school. There are 25 questions and you are expected to achieve approximately 95% or above on this test. So it does need revision

The second test was Mathematical Reasoning, which was based on aviation related problems. Such as working out correct reciprocal headings, speed, distance and time calculations, and also things like fuel calculations. This test does not have to be that difficult, but you do need to be confident on your formula’s. This test again carries weight, the pass mark is 75%, and is very achievable as long as revision is done. This test lasts for approximately 25 minutes.

The third test was Verbal Reasoning. This is dubbed the hardest test by everyone at FTE, but it really isn’t greatly difficult if you pay close attention to the text. You will be presented with a paragraph of text, It is not necessarily aviation related. You will then be presented with 3 statements about the text. You are required to state which one’s are true or false. It sounds very easy, but lots of people have struggled on this test as the do not pay enough attention to the text. The idea is to look at the fine details, and read exactly what it is telling you, and not to build your own assumptions about what you read. This test lasts 25 minutes

The Final Written Test was both maths and physics. This includes much of the maths from numeracy 1, but in more depth. The physics include things like F=ma, and other related formula’s. It also included things like working out the size of designated area’s of a circle. More trigonometry, and more maths formula’s. The time allowed for this test is 35 minutes. And with 22 questions to do there is plenty of time.
Like I said, the tests need not be difficult, but I have heard from people previously that the maths tests do not matter a great deal. This is incorrect from my personal experience over the last few days. As the Chief Ground School instructor explained to me. You need Solid marks in these maths tests to form a base to the ATPL ground school. They all need as much revision as each other, And they are all multiple choice.

Following that was a half an hour break for dinner, With the PILAPT testing beginning at 1:25. Here’s a breakdown of them.

First test: A Cartoon Man appears in 3 boxes on the screen. In each box he will have a different orientation. For example, In the left box he may be facing you, the centre box facing away, and the right hand box facing away and upside down.
With headphones on, you hear a voice say “Positive Left square” for example. That means to enter how many men have got square’s in their left hand. Other requests will be things such as “Negative Right Circle”. How many of them haven’t got a circle in their right hand. You start of with 8 seconds, but this decreases in stages until eventually you get to 4 seconds. This test is quite tricky and can be frustrating, especially if you press the wrong button. But they take all of this into account, and i didn’t do half as bad as i thought i did. If you get the chance to practice on PILAPT software, then do it!

Second test: A shape will appear at the bottom of the screen, with two boxes above it. the boxes will have many layers of lines and shapes, and you have to see if the shape at the bottom of the screen appears in any of the boxes. For most of the time the shape doesn’t appear in any of the boxes, but it can be quite tricky. This test is apparently designed to test situational awareness. I am not a fan at all to be honest and do not think it represents a person’s situational awareness. I was told it was developed by a group of psychologist's and computer programmers. I would love to take one of the developers into a very busy uncontrolled circuit at a G/A Airfield.... Perhaps we could then re-define good situational awareness... anyway enough of my rant!

Third Test: Using a joystick, A Cross-hare appears on the screen, and you have to keep a horizontal and vertical line centered on the cross hare. It is very similar to an ILS Indication. The lines will move all over the screen in unpredictable patterns. There is a trick to this test which i didn’t know before hand. You are not assessed on how smooth you are getting the lines back to centre. Its testing reaction times and how long it takes you to put the bars back to centre. I thought it may have been testing smoothness, but it is reaction time. So dont be afraid to yank the stick to the centre!

Fourth Test: Again using a joystick. This test is the easiest of them all. On the screen will appear a yellow cross representing an aircraft. You have to “fly” this cross through the upcoming boxes, as smoothly and close to the centre as you can. This isn’t too difficult at all as it doesn’t move very fast and you can see all the boxes approaching. One not to worry about at all

Thats the PILAPT done, And after a break of about 20 minutes it was time for the interview. There are lots of things said about interviews, where interviewer’s are said to ask all sort of trick questions. But this one isn’t like that. My interview was with the Chief Ground School Instructor. The very best advice i can give you is just to be yourself. To be honest, I felt that relaxed at the time i didn’t realise just how much he was assessing me. They makes note on dress and grooming, and anything else you have to say. The questions are mostly based on your background, Then why you want to be a pilot, followed by your ambitions within aviation. A point worthy of note, They are very interested about things outside aviation, such as any team sports you play, things like that. So make sure you have something to say.

Im sorry if that went on a bit, But i hope that gives you a greater insight into exactly what goes on a FTE.

A few closing comments, All of the staff at FTE were really really friendly. With the owner frequently asking if i was being looked after. The debrief at the end was extremely comprehensive, with them explaining thoroughly why they did everything they did. It was a long day without much break but a fantastic experience. Starting at 9:15, i didn’t make it back to my room until 17:45.

I hope this helps, And the best of luck with your assessment!

Boeing100
18th Nov 2008, 08:27
I cannot believe no one has posted at least a thank you for your post, but I will. I've read many different posts about FTE assessments, but this one is probably the most extensive, and interesting. So thanks Joshua :ok:

Aerospace101
11th Dec 2008, 23:01
Looking at the pound vs euro. The course now costs 90K sterling. So for the brits thats 50% more than other INT. courses. Not to mention now being the worse time to enter training. Great school, but....

boquera
12th Dec 2008, 08:56
my sentiments exactly aerospace. i passed the tests for fte back in july but cant afford it, gutted!!!

corsair
13th Dec 2008, 17:58
I'd love to have a go at those tests. I imagine I would fail and be told I have no future as a pilot. Disappointed I would return to my job..........as a pilot:eek:

Now in fact, years ago when Aer Lingus sponsored cadets. I applied, did the psycho tests and was later told I wasn't what they wanted. Equally on the other hand I applied for a low paid factory assembly job using a similar test and failed again or so they said. I suspected it was a filter mechanism to reject people without having to interview them.

Yes, I am a bit cynical about these tests. But they can use whatever criteria they like to assess potential students. I suppose it would eliminate the real no hopers. But I can't help wondering. Does anyone actually fail these tests? Or is it window dressing to give prospective students the impression that they are actually being selected by the school rather than the other way around? It seems to me that they actually want to eliminate anyone who might potentially struggle a bit but pass eventually. As this would drag down their record.

Does anyone know of someone who was told to seek another career after one of these tests?

bgreenboxb
14th Dec 2008, 21:15
Hi
You do have a point on what you say.
But I guess the tests have to be a certain level like you said, otherwise candidates might bring down test scores and thus less of a chance being picked up by an employer during/after training, and as most of us know, FTE does have a fantastic reputation all round.

I guess it is in everyones interest that this reputation stays high, with the school itself (as a business), the students (as airlines look at the school for having excellent standards.)

I agree, it would be interesting to speak to anyone who was told to go back and improve on things, but I guess not many people would go on here and admit to that.

I know the cost is more for integrated, but all I hear is good things about FTE.

I always view FTO's like Unis, you can study Law at a uni no one has heard of, or you could go to Oxford.

Many employers may not care, but if you want to try and give you self the best shot, you would go to Oxford.

Maybe the wrong way to look at it, may not be, just the way I do :)

Merry Christmas everyone!

corsair
15th Dec 2008, 15:21
Ah, bgreenboxb, that's what they want you think. That's the whole marketing thing. Except it doesn't quite work like that. Going to Oxford or Cambridge universities will give you an advantage particularly as there is a long standing tradition there of Oxbridge graduates being favoured by many institutions.

FTOs would have you believe they are the equivalent of these universities. You would do well to bear in mind that that OAA only has Oxford in their title because they were set up at Oxford airport. They are not an offshoot of Oxford university. They are a good school and have a good name. But you pay for that good name. It might give you an advantage when you apply for a job. But it probably counts for less than you might think.

Aerospace101
15th Dec 2008, 16:17
bgreenboxb, corsair is completely correct. Oxford or FTE are not the 'university elite' of FTOs as is with Oxbridge regards universities. Its all down to their marketing that you have that impression.

I would suggest that the 'oxbridge' of the flight training world would be the RAF's central flying school at cranwell.

ad_louis
28th Jan 2009, 17:19
It's Louis! I applied for FTE and my exam is gonna be next month! my email is: [email protected]... i have facebook my name is Louis AD ... i would really like to contact you before my exam and have some advices from you because i really need it... i have another email which is [email protected]... i would like to know more about the physics exams , trigonometry and circle properties, what kind of questions im worried about it :)
thank you very much and if you have please lets keep in touch thanks!

seaperson03
3rd Apr 2012, 13:58
pilot joshua 1 -

Just a quick question, I have done the PILAPT Tests and Written tests and now I have an interview later this month.
When I spoke to Mary-Jo to arrange the interview I was told that there would be a further test in the interview where they would be assessing your information processing? was there any further test that you did or any questions relating to this kind of thing in your interview?

Many thanks, and your post was really useful, thanks

Gear Up Landing
3rd Apr 2012, 14:10
I would suggest that the 'oxbridge' of the flight training world would be the RAF's central flying school at cranwell.

Looking at the RAF's central flying school website they say

"To train flying instructors, test individual aircrew, audit the Flying Training System, give advice on flying training, and provide the RAF Aerobatic Team."

Not sure 'oxbridge' really do this kind of thing, well maybe the instructor training but this would be way off someone looking to start out! :}

paulslats
16th Apr 2012, 19:27
Thanks to everyone so far that has messaged me about the fte assessment day,really appreciate all the help.

If anyone else has been over recently, could you please drop me a message, have my assessment coming up and am getting fairly nervous.
Any help no matter how small you think it might be will be very much appreciated. Thanks all

Danny212
16th Apr 2012, 21:59
Excellent insight into your visit to FTE.
The tests don't seem to hard or challenging by the sound of this.
I'm guessing A-level maths/physics?

What was your overall opinion of the FTO? The student accommodation? The aircraft? The sims? The instructors?

Cheers!

FlyerJoe
28th Jul 2012, 21:58
Can anyone tell me how the FTE assessment compares to oxford or PTC? It seems to be considerably harder, especially in regards to maths.

Any advice would be great