PDA

View Full Version : Problems replying to forum posts

The Flying Pram
13th Nov 2008, 22:42
Been having problems today with another forum I frequent, when I reply to a post with the "Post A Quick Reply" button it doesn't seem to send, yet if I refresh the page it's there. If I use their "Go Advanced" option I have no trouble. I've also found that I can't edit my previous posts. In both cases ZoneAlarm shows traffic passing when I click on send, but I get a little rotating symbol next to the button, and also the "Egg Timer" displayed.

I found that I could post if using IE Tab within FF2, so it looks like a browser problem. Yet I can get the "Edit" function to work on here.

To make matters worse, yesterday there were 4 MS updates, and today FF and Avast! also had programme updates. I normally do these one step at a time and test things, but this is not like finding all my internet access has suddenly been blocked.

Various replies and posts on Mozilla, ZA, and Avast forums all tend to pin the blame on each other, and so far I've tried temporarily shutting down ZA, and also changing Avast's Web Shield to only scan potentially infected files, as per some suggestions, but to no avail.

Any suggestions anybody?

The Flying Pram
13th Nov 2008, 22:44
And a quick second post just to see what happens here!

Added this line to try the edit function.

Saab Dastard
13th Nov 2008, 23:07
Given that your preferred and normal browser works fine here, it would seem possible that the problem lies with the other forum - particularly as you can access it via the IE tab in FF.

I assume that you have done the normal clearing of cache and deletion of relevant cookies?

SD

Background Noise
14th Nov 2008, 06:39
Sounds like the forum? I have a similar problem on another forum too - it appears not to send, and I then get a blank page, clicking refresh appears to send again and I end up with double posts. It's them not me as there are plenty of double posts from other users, The BB however does not let users delete their posts so they hang around.

Does your BB have a help section, or a problems section full of similar questions?

The Flying Pram
14th Nov 2008, 09:36
Given that your preferred and normal browser works fine here, it would seem possible that the problem lies with the other forum - particularly as you can access it via the IE tab in FF.

That's exactly what I was thinking. I have FF set to clear cookies at the end of each session, and the cache is cleared regularly when I run CCleaner. I'm typing this on my parents 'puter and when I logged on to the problem site just now I find that the "Edit" button is missing from all my posts! I'm actually a Mod on the site and posted in their section, but all I got was suggestions that I should change my firewall, A/V etc. There are regular complaints about forum problems but I'm beginning to think they don't want to admit things may be less than perfect...

I'm not going to pull my (few remaining) hairs out by embarking on a session of system restore and uninstalling/reinstalling various software - computers are supposed to help us not be a source of endless frustration.

Thanks anyway.

Saab Dastard
14th Nov 2008, 10:33
I'm actually a Mod on the site and posted in their section, but all I got was suggestions that I should change my firewall, A/V etc. There are regular complaints about forum problems but I'm beginning to think they don't want to admit things may be less than perfect...

I know exactly what you mean! ;)

SD

Tarq57
14th Nov 2008, 10:45
Not using the Noscript extension, are you? I've found that unless some elements on a page are set to "allow" that button can be deactivated.
Quite surprising how (some) forums find a need to run large numbers of scripts from outside agencies...

The Flying Pram
14th Nov 2008, 12:22
No, not using NoScript. I have Adblock which is excellent. I'm wondering now if it's a problem with Firefox since updating to v2.0.0.18. I can post and get the edit button to work (in the sections I moderate) perfectly with IE7, or IE tab in FF, but not with FF itself. I've done a reset with ZA, as it can get corrupted, but that hasn't made any difference. Parents computer has the previous version of Avast! - I haven't updated it yet - and the same version of ZA which I haven't done anything to, so I'm struggling to see how they can cause this. I've also changed the routers DNS from Tiscali to "Open DNS" - this was one suggestion on the Mozilla Zine. I fully realise that I could end up going round in circles here, although I am tempted to revert to FF v2.0.0.17 which I've downloaded from FileHippo. I have backed up my bookmarks but I don't want to bugger things up just for the sake of one site. If need be I will use IE to do any editing.

Oh for a simple life.....

green granite
14th Nov 2008, 12:46
wondering now if it's a problem with Firefox since updating to v2.0.0.18.

I think most of us are running Ver 3.0.3 of FireFox nowadays.

The Flying Pram
14th Nov 2008, 13:08
I haven't switched yet because the Real Player download plug-in doesn't work with it, or at least it didn't when I last did some searching. I find it helpful as it will often work on pages that Download Helper won't.

I remember when the only "conflict" the average punter knew about was between VHS & Betamax!

The Flying Pram
14th Nov 2008, 14:43
Well guess what - after some more searching it turns out that Real Player have finally updated the product to work with FF3, so I've taken the plunge and installed it to a separate directory so that I can try it out. The RP downloader works fine, and as far as I can tell the other add-ons do as well.

So I thought I would see how the "other" forum behaved, and lo & behold I can now make a Quick Reply. My Edit button works now as well.