PDA

View Full Version : How was it getting FI jobs during bad times? (~1991. ~2001)

eikido
13th Nov 2008, 19:09
Was it difficult getting a FI job during the worse times?

Eikido

Heli-Ice
13th Nov 2008, 21:30
Were the times bad back in 1991 and 2001?

eikido
14th Nov 2008, 06:18
I don't know mate.
I'm just wondering how it was finding FI jobs during the worst times in aviation.

Mickey Kaye
14th Nov 2008, 06:43
I don't think are as bad as they were in the early ninties. I was the only person I knew who got a FI job (out of about 10 who sis the FI course with me) and I was only managing 10 hours a month. By 96 pretty well everyone who wanted an airline job had got one.

At present there are one or tow instructor post around if you are prepaired to move. Back then there was simply nothing.

flightlevel1985
14th Nov 2008, 07:05
But if this situation deepens, as one may be lead to believe it may, will the FI jobs be the next to go? I also want to complete an FI course, and would move anywhere to get a job, but already having the debt of a CPL/IR course to worry about, I am just not sure if this is the right time.

Heli-Ice
14th Nov 2008, 07:25
eikido

I think you will be able to find a FI job but you may have to move house and look at other countries. There seem to be a lot of jobs out there, it all depends on your experience and sometimes luck.

I saw an ad on Flightglobal.co.uk from a company looking for both FW and RW instructors. Its sunny down there and all but they require relatively experienced instructors. It shouldn't hurt to apply though.

Browse throught the job websites and try and get a feeling for the market.

Good luck on your job hunt, it may take a while but it pays off in the end if you are determined and seek your goals. :ok:

FlyingOfficerKite
14th Nov 2008, 18:59
It was bad in 1991.

I got my BCPL and AFI rating - and luckily got a job by the skin of my teeth at the end of the course!

Five years of nothing in commercial aviation then the jobs came.

Be prepared for a long wait if the recession hits the industry as forecast.

Times were very hard - but all those (in my experience) who weathered the storm are Captains on jets now. Plan medium to long-term.

But that's life - a roller coaster of a ride in all respects.

FOK :)

George Semel
19th Nov 2008, 16:45
Well try 1977 to 1985 That was a tough time for new pilots. You didn't get a shot at any kind of twin with less that 2500 hours in the logbook and 500 hours Multi. Its where you look from. Now I know times are tough, but its now where near the economic problems that existed in the 1976-81 where inflation and intrest rates were double digets. At one point they were getting 21 % for a car note, and CD's were paying 15% and the oil shocks were deeper then then now. It going to take bit of work to find a job, nothing new. You should be looking and making a list while in flight school, you need to think about it way before, you have that Certificate or Lic. in your pocket.

lady in red
20th Nov 2008, 06:30
I did my CPL and AFI course in 1991 to 1992 and did not get a full-time job till spring 1994 - only did about 130 hours in the first 18 months as a part-timer most of which I did not get paid for. After 18 months full-time instructing I went back to my previous profession and continued part-time instructing for the next four years. I went full-time again in 1999 and have been busy ever since.
Since then we had the 2001 slump after 11th Sept which coincided with all the heavy flooding in the south east - three months of awful weather - some schools went bust. But it always seems to turn around.
Here we are in the middle of the recession and I have never been so busy and booked up, as everyone wants to do instructor courses! As someone else has said, you have to be flexible in where you are prepared to go and then you will get a job as there are still plenty out there, but if you hold out for working down the road you may have a long wait.

chongololo
4th Dec 2008, 19:38
Post 9/11 was really bad for CFI's. I freelanced for years before I got a break with a full-time instructor job at a good school.
More than 4 years instructing before I got my first Commercial flying job.
Looks bleak for the near future.
Good luck and hang in there.