PDA

View Full Version : September Airprox 08

on21
13th Nov 2008, 17:13
I don't know if this has already been posted but a couple of incidents of note.

Page 46 037/08 EC 120 and A319 Inadvertent IMC Liverpool.

Page 64 080/08 R44 and PA 18 conflict North Wales.

http://www.airproxboard.org.uk/docs/423/September%20Reports.pdf

jemax
13th Nov 2008, 19:34
Christ, The inadvertant IMC entry (Page 46) of the EC120 makes for chilling reading, shame they got into that position, but did very, very well to keep a cool head and make a safe recovery back to terra firma.

Shows how the UK PPL theory of making an instrument turn 180 back in the direction is most definately best ignored if you want to have any chance of staying alive under thiose circumstances.

Non-PC Plod
14th Nov 2008, 09:12
I wouldnt say the 180 deg turn is best ignored - it depends on the circumstances and the pilot's ability & experience.
If for example there is severe icing, you dont want to go climbing a helicopter with no icing clearance into it. Likewise if there is known traffic above you. But, if the pilot has little or no recent IMC experience, it may be more risky to try anything more than the simplest manoeuvres on instruments.
If you have had a chance to read CAP 780 aviation safety review 2008, and look at the helicopter statistics, you will see how prevalent are the words "poor weather" and "inadvertently entering cloud". It just goes to show how important it is for pilots, especially those without IR to be trained to recognise and respond appropriately to deteriorating weather conditions.

OffshoreHeli
14th Nov 2008, 11:48
There is np excuse for going inadvertent IMC during the day in a helicopter. I spent years flying single pilot in all sorts of weather and locations around the world and never once ended up IMC. You are in a helicopter for God's sake, if it all starts to go to rats LAND!

ThomasTheTankEngine
14th Nov 2008, 14:57
I aggree with offshoreheli, there is no excuse for inadvertant IMC by day.

If you can't reach your destination by taking another route to it, divert, return to where you came from or land. If you end up flying lower due to cloud base, slow down obviously there are limits (Pilot experiance, area, terrain, noise complaints etc)

I think the pilot of the 120 was very very lucky not to of became the next CFIT.