PDA

View Full Version : NEWCASTLE - 8

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37

andrewmcharlton
13th Nov 2008, 06:54
OK, so here we go. With the gracious consent of the mods we have an officially "permitted" new NCL thread.

I know as a supporter of NCL we all want to keep our ear to the ground as to what is going on, however, due to the inappropriate rantings of a few who know who you are, you managed to scupper it for everyone.

Can we please make sure when posting that no accusations, libelous remarks and anything detrimental to the good name of pprune is posted.

The press have covered the recent goings on upstairs at NCL and confidentiality clauses and agreements have prevented them from publishing various stories and that should be your benchmark.

Back to the purpose. NCL like everywhere else is going through tough times rumours abound on routes and facilities alike, can we stick to that and for Gods sake lets try to find some good news somewhere !

Travel Agent
13th Nov 2008, 10:07
Looks like Krakow and Prague will not return next summer, unless routes are being introduced gradually....

fl dutchman
13th Nov 2008, 10:43
andrewmcharlton

Totally agree!

Easyjet Summer 2009

Looks like 5 aircraft base, all 319?? instead of 6 x 737 this year, Prague and Krakow gone as in some other airports I think. STN just 2x daily as per winter.
The first BRS and STN flights swap with a based aircraft from those two bases that departs about the same time as the outbound NCL departure. So allowing an earlier departures to Alicante and Malaga than if the based aircraft was used and had to come back to NCL! (does that make sense).

When are Flybe announcing Summer 2009. What is the situation re charters ie Tom and TCX. Anyone going to replace XLA.

Keyvon
13th Nov 2008, 11:45
I opened a thread about Newcastle and easyJet cancellations, but now has totally disappeared. Why ? No explanations given to me, not even by PMs by the Mods.

I think it's not a fair treatment. I am pretty disappointed about this.

Edit: Get over it. We decide what threads are acceptable. Yours was not - but you can add to the new approved one.

PPP

Kev 1
13th Nov 2008, 11:57
Easyjet for Summer 2009 is a 6 A/C base, guess they will all be 319's by then?

Example of departures on a Monday morning:

0600 PMI
0620 FAO
0700 STN
0710 BFS
0730 BRS
0830 AGP

0835 ALC (A319 arrives from STN 0805)
0840 NCE (A319 arrives from BRS 0810)

Kev

fl dutchman
13th Nov 2008, 12:12
kev1
Yes you could be right, forgot about Nice. But at the other end of the day there are only 5 arrivals, unless I have missed something again.
Dare I say it--new routes to come ???

Kev 1
13th Nov 2008, 13:22
fl dutchman

I agree, seems to be some large gaps in the programme (one A/C on a Monday appears to arrive from PMI at 12:15 then do nothing else all day), maybe there are a couple of new routes in the offing. Certainly seems to be room for a couple of routes running 3/4 times a week possibly. Could we see Krakow & Prague being released a little later down the line and filling this gap instead of new routes?

There only appears to be 5 A/C arriving in the evening as the STN returns at 20:55 (rather early) and then night stops instead of the usual 22:30 arrival or later.

FlyBE

Anyone else seem the Flybe timetable for S09 for LGW, the 2nd arrival of the day is at 13:50 with the A/C immediately departing back to LGW at 14:05, this seems a bit tight to me, could we be seeing another A/C here for the summer which could swap with the LGW run at lunch time? Or are the timings just slightly out?

Kev

apaul
13th Nov 2008, 14:21
I wanted to book for Krakow and am disappointed that it and Prague have not been brought back for the Summer. The range of lowcost destinations from Newcastle is incredibly dull compared to Edinburgh. It's a bit like the Monty Python sketch except swap Spain for spam.

Keyvon
13th Nov 2008, 15:33
At least, EZY's service to Rome Ciampino will be resumed for the coming summer...whilst Ryanair has permanently ceased its quite successful route to Milan Bergamo.

Jamesair
13th Nov 2008, 15:44
Mahon has also gone for summer 09....strange situation with Malaga with 3 return flights on Mondays but only 2 out?

DOOBIE
13th Nov 2008, 15:58
Jamesair

The 0035 dep from Malaga on Monday arrives at 2355 on Sunday.

and there does appear to be a Mahon on Saturday.

Keyvon
13th Nov 2008, 16:04
Mahon is confirmed for S09, will be flown once a week on Saturdays only between July 11 and September 12.

PPRuNe Pop
13th Nov 2008, 19:32
We had hoped that the starter of this thread had said enough. Clearly the arty smarty's, who think they can say just what they want, thought otherwise about how we mods conduct this and other threads. Not any more, and two posts have already gone! Great start eh!

No one is asking you for your prescence on this thread. If you don't like it you can go and play someplace else.

Some of the previous posters caused PPRuNe and its owners a lot of grief - a lot! Now if any of you think you can now take up where you left off, you can forget it.

This thread will be under tight control because some idiots thought they could act the way they did.

Enjoy it of course, but do not expect us to again play along with the same rubbish that occured on the previous thread.

Down to you guys now.

paarmo
13th Nov 2008, 22:35
Roger .

Flyit Pointit Sortit
13th Nov 2008, 23:20
Guess I missed the fun and games concerning the previous thread although I can probably guess what the fuss was about.

As far as EZY is concerned, we are initially planning on 2 Airbus and 4 Boeing for next year. Although this could all change by the time I have finished posting this. Interesting that you have noticed that BRS and STN aircraft are operating some of our longer routes. seems our "pairing optimiser" is working to good effect.

It will also mean that business travellers can travel both ways earlier

Hipennine
14th Nov 2008, 08:04
Unfortunately, the 19.50 return timing from Stansted makes for an excessively long business day.

Delta 8
14th Nov 2008, 11:10
Under the current economic climate are we likely to see any development from the current airlines operating in and out of NCL for next summer? :sad:

transwede
14th Nov 2008, 16:07
I very much doubt it - just about every airline is making cutbacks to flying schedules, route networks etc and it is bound to hit every airport. We have already seen cutbacks from Easy and Jet2 and in the charters we have lost the whole XL group programme and TOM have scaled back the number of weekly flights. Aer Arann is gone too.

On a positive note, we have gained a new route from FR, but I doubt there will be much else unless BE surprises?!

Jamesair
14th Nov 2008, 16:13
I tend to agree with that and as you say, we will see what Flybe comes up with. We are now left with no service to Poland from the North East as a whole, that may interest somebody.

Has anyone heard how the Routes Conference went in relation to NCL?

Tflyer
14th Nov 2008, 16:44
I dont think TOM have scaled back too much, still operating a similar amount of flights offered this Summer, albeit with some changes to time and day from this season, only flight to be dropped is the PUJ. Still have x2 757, x1 738, and 763 Sat, Sun, Mon. There are 5 W patterns on the programme.

Jamesair
14th Nov 2008, 17:10
AER LINGUS

Dublin is scheduled to run in Summer 09 from March to October...5weekly M/W/T/F/Su.

Another plus for the airport next year.

transwede
14th Nov 2008, 18:01
TOM have indeed got 5 W patterns, which results in less flights from NCL. Frequency on their so called 'high frequency' routes to PMI and AGP has been scaled back too. Though agreeable, not much of a change - it is a drop for NCL. Shame they dropped PUJ - Dominican Republic, a favourite long haul destination for UK package holiday makers is no longer accessible from NCL.
Good news on EI staying for the summer!

The EZY programme, is relying alot on other aircraft coming in from another base and operating NCL based flights - good luck to their new handling agent and hope all goes well for Servisair. Tough times :(

The Flying Stool
14th Nov 2008, 19:38
Changing the subject slightly, I see that the King of Norway visited Newcastle yesterday. Does anyone know if he flew in on anything interesting?

nclops
15th Nov 2008, 07:47
He flew in on the BA1336 on Wed night.

spaceman18
18th Nov 2008, 22:42
Distinct chance of a 3rd based TCX a/c for next summer, and a 2nd for the winter, both 09. Certainly not 100% confirmed, but not far off.

deltahotel9
19th Nov 2008, 09:51
Isn't there already a 2nd TCX for the winter, I thought we had TOM 1x757 1x738 and TCX 2x757, or was that last winter?

Jamesair
19th Nov 2008, 16:48
The Easyjet Annual Report makes interesting reading with Gatwick and Newcastle singled out as having seen a significantly strong performance over the summer period.

This should ensure Newcastle's place as an important part of the Easyjet network.

mmeteesside
19th Nov 2008, 17:48
Hmm yes that would seem to cement NCL's place/base in their network! :ok:
Doesn't match up with the rumours we've been hearing here down the road at DTVA tho :}

transwede
19th Nov 2008, 18:35
Doesn't match up with the rumours we've been hearing here down the road at DTVA tho

What have you been hearing down there then?

On many of the routes operated by EZY from NCL, they are the only low cost choice for passengers, and for a region the size of our catchment area I do not see any reason why they wouldn't be doing well. 149 capacity is ideal for these routes, and even though they may have dropped KRK and PRG - I suspect another loco operator will pick them up soon, both were frequently well utilised.

Distinct chance of a 3rd based TCX a/c for next summer

Possible, however the tour operators programme for next summer is well on sale, so at this point it would be a major change for tour operators to sell the capacity of an extra aircraft, which would operate roughly 13 or so flights per week. A 3rd aircraft would be good news for Servisair though and indeed for the airport.

GrahamK
19th Nov 2008, 20:41
I see Plovdiv has been replaced by Sofia for winter 09/10

mmeteesside
19th Nov 2008, 20:47
What have you been hearing down there then?

We have heard from Hertz at MME that they are about do a deal with EZY for 'when they start flights from MME' - whether thats true or not who knows, might never move here, or it might just be a single W from Geneva or something like Birmingham and Bournemouth got. :confused:

paarmo
19th Nov 2008, 22:59
Can't see easy flying from MME. It would be a departure from their strategy and with Stelios back almost in command it would be a miracle.

Ph1l1pncl
20th Nov 2008, 23:44
On the airports website it says that they have listened to the public and have reduced parking charges. Its now £1 for up to 20 minutes parking though it is still just 5 minutes free for the drop off zone.

SWBKCB
23rd Nov 2008, 16:40
Some good news in these dreary times?

South Derbyshire District Council leader Heather Wheeler calling for compensation to local residents for extra noise which might be created by proposed runway extension at EMA.

"It is extremely useful to be able to travel to our airport instead of having to catch a flight from Manchester or Newcastle. However, they have to acknowledge the damage they are doing day in and day out and they should pay up and look after our residents."

Glad she's not in charge of spending my council tax!

Ops Guy
23rd Nov 2008, 22:22
Things may be really quiet at newcastle at the moment but on a more positive note at least they are investing for the future.

Changes being made to the International check in belts on level 0.

A new cat 3 hold to be installed on Delta (Delta 3) which coincides with the upgrading of both ILS's 25 and 07.

Oh and don't forget the new runway which starts sometime in the new year. So millions being invested for the future. Its not all doom and gloom

;)

lukeylad
23rd Nov 2008, 22:25
Domestic belts are getting a tune up aswell once the International belts are done.

Looks Like KLC are going to start Sending in the E190 from next month on either the Mid Morning flight and early afternoon AMS flights.

Ops Guy
24th Nov 2008, 21:46
fozzyflyer
Yes 25 will become cat 3. I believe they are renewing both ILS's 25 and 07. Delta 2 is also to have AGL installed. ;)

Kev 1
25th Nov 2008, 07:34
Flybe have requested slots for a daily Frankfurt service, from March 2009, details are as follows:

1435 A BE 861 29MAR 24OCT 1234567 DH4 NCL NCL J W1
1505 D BE 862 29MAR 24OCT 1234567 DH4 NCL NCL J W1

So looks like we are getting a Flybe base for the summer after all!

Kev

airhumberside
25th Nov 2008, 17:47
Dont forget there is a big difference between applying for slots, and getting them. Especially at busy airports like FRA. And then slots can be handed back. Applying for slots just indicates something is being proposed and considered

Channex101
26th Nov 2008, 13:17
Kev_1
There is already a flybe base at NCL and has been since ealier this year, they have 2x Dash 8's based there and a small crew base of under 20

mad_rich
26th Nov 2008, 13:45
NCL's been crying out for a FRA service, just a shame it won't be a Star Alliance flight - presumably connections won't be possible.

I've never understood why we get a DUS but no FRA from Lufty.

Wellington Bomber
26th Nov 2008, 16:43
Channex 101

I know one Flybe a/c goes to LGW where does the other one go to all day?

airhumberside
26th Nov 2008, 17:14
2nd aircraft does a 2nd morning LGW then NCL-EXT-???-EXT-NCL

The Flying Stool
26th Nov 2008, 20:17
I have operated into NCL several times in the last few weeks and each time, the Jet2 757 (I think it's G-LSAD) has been parked on the exact same stand as have the two 737s on the south apron. How many flights per day do they operate from NCL? I have noticed a similar situation when operating into LBA. I know the current climate and the time of year will be a big factor but can't help but feel they are missing a trick here, especially with the collapse of XL ealier in the year, they could be expanding into XL's former position in the market.

Delta 8
26th Nov 2008, 20:42
Jet2- How do they make any money?

Probably from the mail. :)

lukeylad
26th Nov 2008, 21:36
Jet2 fly pax services out of NCL Friday, Saturday and Sunday at the moment.

The 737QCS fly mail Monday to Friday nights to EMA and i think STN.

I think the mail flights are moving down to MME soon as the runway is going to be getting some work done to it.

Channex101
26th Nov 2008, 22:59
like airhumberside says, the 2nd dash 8 does a early LGW (will change to mid morning in 2009) and then it goes to EXT and either sits around or flies out of EXT before returning to NCL on the evening.

RE Jet2 and its idle fleet, the royal mail contract alone has always paid for the base at NCL, but this winter is quieter than normal, just ask the poor crew, temp crew laid off, a handfull of crew relocated to EDI and LBA and the ones in NCL have either manged to keep full time or have been made to job share and go part time.
The aircraft will prob operate charters later on after christmas but we'll see. every time i pass AD is always sat on remote and the 2x QCs hardly leave the cargo area.

757 Speedbrakes
27th Nov 2008, 09:33
Doesn't Jet2 start Murcia flights again in Feb??

Channex101
27th Nov 2008, 21:04
u shud know 757 speedbrakes u work there ! lol

Yeah according to Jet2.com the MJV starts again in Feb, prob 737 though I would imagine?

757 Speedbrakes
28th Nov 2008, 10:31
u shud know 757 speedbrakes u work there !

Really? You wouldn't of thought so!! I'm averaging about 1 flight in 22 days!! :zzz:

There are a few 'Santa' charters booked up for next month at least.... :D

lukeylad
28th Nov 2008, 14:38
Behold! AD moved today quite odd to see!

Aye MJV starts up again in March 737 at first then moving to the 757 i think come the summer!

Are Easyjet Doing MJV next year?

757 Speedbrakes
28th Nov 2008, 15:56
Apprently not??

Just trying to work out if there will be two Jet2 757's for S09 like there was for S07??

One more route ought to do it - somewhere like Sharm for instance.........

lukeylad
28th Nov 2008, 20:03
757flyer,

The Reason for AD's diversion was a faulty Windsheild apparently.

GeorgEGNT
30th Nov 2008, 19:17
The job was opened on the 28th but I've heard nothing about it all, speaking to a friend who flies for Thomsonfly who knows the Gate boss very well, and from what hes said, I can only guess easyJet will be the first of many to move to Gate.
Anyone know whats going to happen to Servisair now? Surely easyJet was the biggest contract they had? I'm sure Gate have Eastern Airways as well. Not sure mind.
Applied for the Gate positions like, but noticed the 'full driving license' essential. Shame, never mind.

CentreFix25
30th Nov 2008, 19:42
The EZY base changeover Boeing to Airbus seems to start tonight with the arrival of 2 A319s (Credit: North-East-Aviation-Enthusiasts).

EGNT
30th Nov 2008, 19:45
G-EZIH arrived at 19:00, along with a welcome from the tower.

GeorgEGNT
30th Nov 2008, 20:00
Fantastic news, does anybody know which 737's have departed to make way for our new friends? And where to?
The change over has been hugely anticipated for agees now, but I still cant help feeling abit sad about the departure of the 73's. Shame.

DL93
1st Dec 2008, 11:10
Two 737's left this morning as the EZY8001 & the EZY8002 To LTN around 10:00,

fl dutchman
2nd Dec 2008, 10:22
Summer 2009 released today. From NCL nothing new as yet. French services gone. Jersey slight increase from 4x weekly to 5x weekly. Two based aircraft, one does 4 rotations to LGW and the other does Southhampton then Jersey then 2 further rotations to Southampton. Thats Mon to Fri only not sure what happens at weekends. Belfast, Exeter and Cardiff opperated as W flights from those bases. Frequency looks about the same as 2008.

BombardierCR7
2nd Dec 2008, 10:31
The French routes are still there, Limoges and Rennes 1x weekly each on a Sat.

fl dutchman
2nd Dec 2008, 10:38
French routes ---Yes! they have just appeared not there a few minutes ago! must be still loading flights. Good news.

claireybaby
2nd Dec 2008, 11:35
Anyone know from what date EZY contract goes over to Gate - Aviation?

GeorgEGNT
2nd Dec 2008, 16:10
claireybaby: 21st January 2009 (AviationNE mentioned it), I think your first post asking this was moved.

Seen the EZY monthly timetable (NIA NOV 08 Issue) and the A319s have now been included.
Main routes for the new buses seem to be BRS, GVA and STN (Doesnt STN timetable also include STN sending one of their A319s up here?)
Also CDG, PMI, MJV, KRK, BFS and BCN timetables included the A319s.

No airbuses timetabled on the CIA, PRG, NCE, AGP, FAO routes as of yet.

Can anyone confirm that the two aircraft are G-EZIH and G-EZAM?
GeorgEGNT

Delta 8
2nd Dec 2008, 16:47
Errrr AMS??? :=

GeorgEGNT
2nd Dec 2008, 17:43
What the?! My apologies. What a hurrendous mistake.

Any Gate people on here with any idea of the Gate shift patterns for PSA's?

KNIEVEL77
2nd Dec 2008, 19:22
Sorry if this is a repost but what has happened to the GA Hangar at the Southside of the Airport, I was up there today visiting Northumbria Helicopters and its vanished?

What is that area designated for now?

I noticed a couple of JET 2 aircraft parked down there too, any idea why?

lukeylad
2nd Dec 2008, 19:40
Do you mean the Gill hanger?

Got Demolished earlyer this year and is now an avation college soon to have a Ex European BAC 1-11 inside its mini hanger area.

The two Jet2.com 737's were parked on the cargo ramp! They haven't flown any passengers today so they will have been left there since there mail runs last night ready for tonights mail flights.

KNIEVEL77
2nd Dec 2008, 19:46
Lukelad,

Not sure if it was the Gill Hanger, but it used to house Northumbria Helicopters aircraft and some small GA stuff, its the one directly outside the front of the Police Helicopter 'office'!

Do you know why it has been removed, there is no sign of anything being built in its place?

SWBKCB
2nd Dec 2008, 19:56
FlyBe - according to the e-mail I've just received Jersey, Rennes and Limoge are all new for 2009(sic). No Frankfurt...

Hangar - this is the Bellman hangar, demolished before it fell down and because it made the place look untidy...

lukeylad
2nd Dec 2008, 21:08
Ah i know which one you mean! could be do to with the airport development plans for the GA side.

KNIEVEL77
2nd Dec 2008, 21:11
Really, I read somewhere that the airport weren't happy to support the GA operation?

lukeylad
2nd Dec 2008, 21:15
The Airport now own samson Avation. There going to redevelop the whole area into some sort of Private Jet Base. Aswell as renovate the old terminal and to Keep the spotters happy a viewing deck! Thats what was proposed when they bought it any way.

KNIEVEL77
2nd Dec 2008, 21:19
Brilliant, it's about time there was somewhere again for the spotters........shame they charged so much rent for the Aero Club, it would be nice to see that re-open too!

GraemeEUK
2nd Dec 2008, 22:48
GeorgEGNT - yes, G-EZIH and G-EZAM seem to be the 2 new based 319s, I was on them both today on the early to STN and late back from STN. Cheers Graeme

KNIEVEL77
2nd Dec 2008, 22:53
Is the flying club going to move or is it staying where it is?

GeorgEGNT
2nd Dec 2008, 23:48
Gill Aviation hanger was demolished earlier this year and a new building is being built which will be used by Newcastle College for their aviation engineering courses.
Flying school isn't going anywhere for a while, havent heard any plans from them to be moving, I doubt they will, because although Newcastle are re-generating the southside I don't think that includes new approns being built (Correct me if I'm wrong someone)
Also I'm sure that I read that as part of the re-generation the old terminal/wings bar is being turned into a visitors/enthusiasts centre? Good news if that is the case.

KNIEVEL77: I don't think any major international airport particularly likes general aviation getting in the way, but I'm quite annoyed Newcastle always seem to hold a grudge against the flying school. To be honest there isn't much choice in the north east for flying schools, apart from Durham Tees Valley. The school is doing well in terms of members numbers and lessons booked. Takes about 2 weeks to get a lesson in the diary now. So I think they'll be alright.

stereo1960
3rd Dec 2008, 15:50
Have it on good authority that FlyBe have not applied for FRA..

KNIEVEL77
3rd Dec 2008, 17:30
GeorgEGNT,

I hope you are right about the flying school, it would be sad to see it go......especially as i'm just about to start flying helicopters with them!!!!

GeorgEGNT
3rd Dec 2008, 22:42
It won't be going anywhere in a hurry. Thats my personal opinion anyway, I'm going up to see them tomorrow so I'll poke about the notice board etc.
Anyone know if the MNG Kargo aircraft are still operating out of the cargo ramp and rough times of departures?

AviationNE
4th Dec 2008, 07:28
I Believe MNG had their Uk operating licence revoked and so have left the airport all together. A Italian Fokker is now operating the Bristol Mail route.

mmeteesside
4th Dec 2008, 09:14
I see the NOTAM has appeared for the runway closures for resurfacing, closed Mon-Fri 2330-0545 between 5th January and 9th April.

andrewmcharlton
4th Dec 2008, 11:22
Does anyone know if the FR form DUB got in this morning ?

Cheers

GeorgEGNT
8th Dec 2008, 17:17
Saw a Beechcraft aircraft in the circuit for 25 today, was navy blue so I'm assuming it was a Flight Precision craft. Could anyone confirm this/what it was doing?

Evileyes
15th Dec 2008, 00:31
There is a thread regarding NCL handling in the Flight/Ground Ops, Crewing and Dispatch (http://www.pprune.org/flight-ground-ops-crewing-dispatch-39/) forum. Numerous posts have been moved to it.

http://www.pprune.org/flight-ground-ops-crewing-dispatch/350608-ncl-ground-handling.html

757 Speedbrakes
17th Dec 2008, 21:27
Sorry it's time for my annual Car Park rant..................

Is it me or has anyone else noticed that all the perfectly useable car parks that are NEAR to the airport terminal are all closed ,forcing everyone to use the ones that back onto Ponteland??!! :ugh:

I suppose this encourages everone to use the busses which justifies their existance!!

Whatever the reply, lets try and avoid mentioning Airport Management before this thread gets closed by the Mr Mods too!! :oh:

skhwoody
18th Dec 2008, 11:10
HAs anybody has any involvement with the new policing team in the airport, seems to me to be a good idea to have them there 24hrs.

skhwoody
19th Dec 2008, 11:59
RUmour is that Thomas Cook are adding a new route summer 09.... will post when i find out more

Saral
19th Dec 2008, 12:49
According to the Chronicle

"They include the addition of three brand new routes to the Greek Islands of Kefalonia and mainland resorts of Santorini and Skiathos, where hit movie Mamma Mia was set."

deltahotel9
19th Dec 2008, 13:01
The chronicle article states that a third 757-200 will be based at the airport and will be relocated from Canada. The destinations quoted above maybe new to TCX but are not new to NCL. Good news anyway and more holidays available as the aircraft has a full 7 programme.

NCL1
19th Dec 2008, 13:33
When does the Summer timetable get published?

eu01
19th Dec 2008, 17:43
According to the Maltese government, Easyjet has confirmed its interest to operate a twice-weekly flight from Newcastle to MLA.

Spotted on: Times of Malta (http://www.timesofmalta.com/articles/view/20081219/local/easyjet-ryanair-interested-in-new-routes) website

transwede
19th Dec 2008, 18:25
First edition of the summer timetable generally becomes available on the website around now, but I suspect lots of changes therefore could be a while. The winter one was never updated!!

Does anyone know when the new TCX flights will go on sale?

GeorgEGNT
19th Dec 2008, 20:40
Airport website is now also reporting Thomas Cooks decision to add an extra 757-200 to its base fleet. The report also shows the aircrafts daily schedule.

Monday
Dalaman

Tuesday
Reus and Santorini

Wednesday
Sharm el Sheikh

Thursday
Zante and Crete

Friday
Skiathos and Tenerife

Saturday
Paphos and Bodrum

Sunday
Kefalonia and Larnaca

It is said that the addition will make another 70,000 seats available for Summer 09 at Newcastle, definitley good news for the airport.

sunshine79
19th Dec 2008, 22:13
At least I won't have to trek to MAN to go to Santorini and Skiathos this coming summer. I think TC had a good share of the XL flights last summer, so they should be able to fill them this summer.

Ops Guy
20th Dec 2008, 17:19
Excellant news about a 3rd based TCX. However I always remember previous operators getting big slot delays down in to the smaller airfields of the greek Isles.

Fingers crossed for EZY expansion - its about time. Hopefully more route development in the near future.

Good luck 10 DME :ok:

transwede
20th Dec 2008, 18:41
If you scan through the TCX programme, it is indeed fairly busy, using the 3 aircraft most of the time - with little down time. Some of the smaller greek islands do suffer from ATC delays, but I'd say no more than anywhere else. I always thought JSI couldn't accept a 75, learned something new there, but does anyone know if it is returning via another airport?

Anyone have an idea of the schedule on a monday for all 3 aircraft - appears to be a gap?!

I do think, EZY may be very gradual in introducing additional routes, MLA though I am not convinced on. Air Malta operate a service, some seats sold as scheduled and some sold onto tour operators and still the flight is rarely full. NCL has been crying out for a low cost service to Cyprus - could that be possible with EZY?

HH6702
21st Dec 2008, 08:02
This is good news. Keeping those routes we all thought we had lost from ncl after xl went.

hope the malta route comes from easyjet also

:ok::ok::ok:

KNIEVEL77
21st Dec 2008, 19:18
Chaps,

I'd like to take my young nephew away for the day as he loves flying but can anyone tell me of any day return flights from Newcastle to foreign climes where you can get a few hours in at the destination city before flying back?

Many thanks.

Ops Guy
21st Dec 2008, 19:25
Depending on the age of your nephew ..... Amsterdam :O

KNIEVEL77
21st Dec 2008, 19:29
Ops Guy,

Good suggestion, maybe in another 10 years.......I was really thinking of budget airline destinations, oh and maybe with a bit of sun!!!!

mmeteesside
21st Dec 2008, 19:45
Dusseldorf? May not be that cheap though!
Otherwise try any of the Spanish destinations in the summer season as most of the really popular ones can be had for day returns some days. Places like Palma and Malaga. :ok:

KNIEVEL77
21st Dec 2008, 19:53
mmeteesside,

I used to work for Easyjet/LWT filming the 'Airline' programme and quite often would fly outwards and return on the same aircraft but found that usually there was no more than half an hour, usually less inbetween flights and usually just one a day to any of the given destinations.!

Dusseldorf? Lufthansa? Megabucks!!!!!

en2r
21st Dec 2008, 21:17
Chaps,

I'd like to take my young nephew away for the day as he loves flying but can anyone tell me of any day return flights from Newcastle to foreign climes where you can get a few hours in at the destination city before flying back?

Many thanks.
You could try Dublin, its usually fairly cheap with Ryanair, but you probably won't get very much sun!

N707ZS
21st Dec 2008, 22:17
Possibley a Spanish destination out with Jet 2 back with Easyjet.

apaul
22nd Dec 2008, 07:29
If you and your nephew can manage a Tuesday or Wednesday in January or most of February you can fly to Dublin for a couple of pence providing you've got a Visa Electron card and book today or tomorrow. Ryanair are so desperate to keep load figures up I expect they'll keep bringing back these offers even though the company is effectively donating money to the government for you to fly.

SWBKCB
22nd Dec 2008, 08:06
For a foreign trip AMS and DUB look the most likely candidates (DUB especially if price is important!), with CDG about the only other possible candidate (and last time I looked AF were cheaper than EZY). Domestically BRS (EZY), BFS/BHD (EZY/BE), SOU(BE) and LHR(BA)/STN(EZY)/LGW(BE) worth a look

757 Speedbrakes
22nd Dec 2008, 10:06
Possibley a Spanish destination out with Jet 2 back with Easyjet.

That would be a good idea, make sure you've got plenty of time between flights as check in will close around 30 mins before STD.

If you mention to the crew your reason for travelling I'm sure if they had the time, the flight deck crew would grant a visit and a look around of the flightg deck - on the ground only now-a-days though :(

Alternatively, Jet2 operate 'Fear of Flying' flights on behalf of Virgin at Newcastle. I'm not saying your Nephew is afriad of flying but it could be an easier and cheaper option. :ok:

A Captain from Virgin will do a Theory of Flight talk for about an hour before the flight and is constantly making PA's thoughout the flight about what the aeroplane and crew are doing (whilst being flown by the Jet2 flight deck). There are also Virgin cabin crew on board to give advice and help to passengers, and to wind the Jet2 girls up about their up coming trip to St. Lucia!!

HH6702
22nd Dec 2008, 14:28
Looks like BMI have a A320 base as well as TCX 3rd aircraft

Summer 2009 timetable now on website

:ok::ok::):):)

HH6702
22nd Dec 2008, 14:41
looks like based from monday teatime until thursday morning

EI adds second daily flight to dublin on sunday late nights during feb.
:):)

airhumberside
22nd Dec 2008, 15:37
bmi is School Summer Holidays only, all flights seem to be for Olympic

CentreFix25
22nd Dec 2008, 18:15
Not getting too carried away here, but it only looks like 3 flights a week for 8 weeks to me! all with long 'W' patterns away.

transwede
22nd Dec 2008, 19:07
Olympic Holidays will be chartering BMI for some extra high season flights, but overall the programme looks fairly healthy, considering the loss of XL. I would still presume that Thomas Cook will not be the only tour company using the JSI/JTR flights - Olympic and Libra are big operators to Greece, so I would imagine they will shre the new TCX flights. Teleticket seem to be using the LS scheduled loco services alot too. Turkey seems popular again with a mix of TOM/TCX/FHY/OHY and XQ services.

One thing that I am curious about, is the TCX charter to SFB - does it really only for 2 weeks?

fl dutchman
22nd Dec 2008, 22:12
Thomas Cook/ Airtours Florida programme is now departing Sundays and I think they are using the TOM flight.
So it looks like the Monarch has gone !

EDIT could I be wrong?. They are also booking for Sats as well as Sun !

Yes I am wrong Monarch and Thomson flights still bookable all season.

transwede
24th Dec 2008, 13:00
So the TCX A330 SFB flight in the summer programme on the airports website only operates for 2 weeks with TCX sharing the TOM charter the rest of the season? Big reduction in capacity from operators to SFB this year then, as the MON operated weekly with 350+ seats! Strange that TCX holidays are still selling the saturday departure!

KNIEVEL77
24th Dec 2008, 14:20
apaul,

Thanks for the tip off regarding the Ryanair Dublin flights but how on earth can they offer flights at just 1p each way with no tax????

K77.

fl dutchman
24th Dec 2008, 20:39
Airport website updated already and shows Monarch Sats, TOM Suns ALL SEASON. With an ADDITIONAL 2 x TCX departures on a couple of Fridays in August. So slight increase in capacity

10 DME ARC
29th Dec 2008, 08:00
Well those of you who know me will already realise that I am about to leave Newcastle after 18 years in ATC. I am off for an adventure in the sand, in fact any one travelling Emirates over the next few months may be un-lucky enough to end their flight with me training so beware!
I will still be returning to the North East and checking prune so not totally gone. Thanks to all the contributors over the years keep up the news/gossip and have a happy new year.

10D

crewmeal
29th Dec 2008, 08:49
Good luck in your your position - hope you enjoy it - you have served us well -

Birmex & Bluestar

Ops Guy
29th Dec 2008, 12:15
It's been a pleasure working with you 10 D.

Good luck :ok:

postcard
29th Dec 2008, 14:26
10 DME ARC who?

Get the BBQ lit for March!!

Good luck and Bon voyage its been your great pleasure working with me!!!!

P.

Jamesair
30th Dec 2008, 10:41
According to the Airport Timetable for January 09.... Eastern will be reducing frequency on ABZ from 6 to 5 daily and on SOU from 4 to 3 daily.
Not shown on the Eastern timetables yet.

Kev 1
30th Dec 2008, 11:02
Jamesair, you are correct with regards to Eastern. The lunchtime ABZ-NCL-SOU-NCL-ABZ (Saab 2000) has been withdrawn for the Summer, this seems to coincide with the launch of ABZ-OSL (Saab 2000), as the flight times are very similar, so guess its more a case of aircraft put to better use elsewhere.

Kev

maxtoon
1st Jan 2009, 21:39
Just to start off the new year thread ..

HAPPY NEW YEAR TO ALL !!!!

:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

jamier
2nd Jan 2009, 12:19
Been tod my by girlfriend that the klm flight her dad was supposed to go out on was escorted in by airport emergency services this morning?

Does anyone have anymore information on this?

Thanks

Jamie R

_ShIfTy_
2nd Jan 2009, 14:26
The KLM fokker 100 had a hydraulic failure. It held for a while before making a quality landing. Hats off to the crew.

jamier
2nd Jan 2009, 16:14
Thank you (Y):ok:

sunshine79
2nd Jan 2009, 16:50
easyJet have confirmed the twice weekly flight between NCL and MLA. Booking system not showing flights available yet but should be live within the next week. There is an article on the Times of Malta website. Nothing on the EZY or NCL website though.

Jamesair
2nd Jan 2009, 23:08
Just read the Times of Malta article....good news indeed..2x weekly from April

Ops Guy
2nd Jan 2009, 23:31
EZY MLA

I would imagine there will be a press announcement this week sometime :ok:.

Will there be more????????????????? :suspect:

ash666
3rd Jan 2009, 14:13
Jamier
I know someone who was supposed to be on that flight and missed an onward connection(China Airlines) and, as usual, KLM were less than helpful. They sent her to AMS on the next flight but wouldn't put her on the evening KLM flight to BKK, just talk to the hand. I thought they were obliged to use the quickest route in these cases. She had to find accommodation in Amsterdam.
They put her on today's flight with China and when she checked in they said you don't have a booking for today either, just on the reserve list and no guarantee of getting on. I was doing the reverse trip and was going to meet her briefly at AMS as it is her first long haul but when I phoned to see what was happening she hadn't a clue what part of the airport she was in and, again, trying to talk to KLM was just talk to the hand.
Yet another person whose first trip with KLM is their last. I'm still not sure if she got on.
And as for the NCL to AMS, can they not use all planes that can take standard cabin luggage. What's with all this "you must leave trolley luggage at the bottom of the stairs". What are we supposed to do with laptops, fragile presents we have carefully packed to take to relatives etc??? Pull them all out and have loads of seperate bags bashing all over the lockers???
Definitely the worst airline in the world.

Travel Agent
3rd Jan 2009, 17:01
Just flew in this morning from Palma after a three night break, we stood for 39 minutes waiting for our cases, our flight arrived followed by EZY Malaga and KLM Amsterdam - all on the same carousel (number 2), or so we thought, the bags for our Palma flight were actually on number 3, but no informaton was given I just happened to spot mine, and told others I reckonised from the flight!

Newcastle has to be the worst airport for customer service and please get rid of those damn doors in the terminal, I have lost count at how many times have I been stuck there because of impaitent pax, why can't we have normal doors like normal airports?

Rant over!

PS. Good news about Malta.....hopefully see some more expansion to new destinations from EZY.

Delta 8
3rd Jan 2009, 17:26
Baggage handlers probably put the bags up the wrong belt down stairs :D

Not that they care as they have lost jobs through the loss of the contract :E

Travel Agent
3rd Jan 2009, 17:50
I don't blame the baggage handlers, it's the fact there is never anyone to be seen from the airline/handling agents at the airport which annoys me lol

Cloud1
3rd Jan 2009, 20:05
The airline have done their job - they have delivered your bags to the airport. If the airport fail to put them on the correct carousel it should be Airport personnel that inform passengers, not the airlines.

Similar story at BRS - although our flight landed at 3am, the only flight there and it took about an hour for our bags.

Channex101
3rd Jan 2009, 21:35
I agree!! why cant we have normal doors? Domestic arrivals is a NIGHTMARE!!!! 2 trolleys nd a few pax and the doors are full and if u dont keep the pace up the doors stop and its a night mare, ive seen Q's half way down the baggage hall waiting for the doors to open, its stupid! what the matter with normal automatic doors?

aeulad
3rd Jan 2009, 22:53
Was the NCL-AMS KL booked sperately to the AMS-BKK CI? KLM and CI do not have a partnership, KLM are not obliged to arrange onward transportation from AMS. You take a risk not going KL all the way. I don't see what the problem is here.

Regards

Mike

HH6702
3rd Jan 2009, 23:51
Heard that there is other new routes also so malta is one
Heard that these flights will be on one of there A320 to be based at ncl
anybody else heard this???

ash666
4th Jan 2009, 07:08
AEULAD

No, all ticketed together so KLM did have responsibility for onward connections. And their attitude!!! I hope they have to fork out serious compensation.
My equivalent outward flight was late coming in and NCL staff said not to worry as they were going to do a quick turnaround. That took them at least 45mins! Is that the quickest NCL can turn around those dinky little planes? Maybe all the staff should be sent abroad on a fact finding mission to learn how other countries can do it in 20mins.

And same old moan about only 2 out of 5 xray machines in use for long queues.

At least passport control has improved.

My thoughts now are ditching NCL totally for long haul and look at train to LHR and a direct flight. Just not prepared to risk KLM any more.

SWBKCB
4th Jan 2009, 08:11
The airline have done their job - they have delivered your bags to the airport. If the airport fail to put them on the correct carousel it should be Airport personnel that inform passengers, not the airlines.

Don't think the average SLF would agree (and they'd be right not to) - they've paid the airline to deliver them and their baggage, not the airport. It's the airlines responsibility to ensure anybody they've got acting for them is doing their job properly.

N707ZS
4th Jan 2009, 08:30
ash666 bite the bullet and use KLM at DTVA. If we are expected to come up to NCL I am sure you could come down here.

postcard
4th Jan 2009, 08:50
I know there will be a lot of guys on the forum who will be aware that Ian had been fighting a long battle with illness.
I'm sorry to say he lost that fight on Friday evening.

Ian will always be remembered as one of the pioneers of aviation photography at Newcastle Airport since the early 1950's.

He was also one of the founder members of TGAE and Air North,producing the monthly magazines North East Air News and Air North.

His airport career included employment with BKS ,Northeast,British Air Services and British Airways and latterly helping Samson Aviation to establish themselves as the primary executive and light aviation handling agent at the airport.
After leaving Samson he worked for Direct Flight at Prestwick until retirement caught up with him!!

A truly total aviation person.

Ian was one of a kind and will be a sad loss to the aviation world and his many friends.

ash666
4th Jan 2009, 09:08
n707zs

It would be cost prohibitive with petrol and parking to add on. I can get to NCL for not much more than £4 during the day. Ok to get train to LHR as the flights from there are much cheaper. And I would still be left sweating on the KLM connection.

highwideandugly
4th Jan 2009, 10:26
Depending on your destination..try flying Emirates a little more expensive but superior service.Or even BA?

all just as easy from Teesside area.

fl dutchman
4th Jan 2009, 11:11
ash666

Sounds like the ticket was China Airlines issued?. If booked via KL the onward flight would have almost certainly been on a KL code.
However I think it is usual on a through ticket (not seperate bookings) for the first carrier in this case KL, in the event of a missed connection caused by them to re book you on an alternative service. Perhaps the KL to BKK on that day was fully booked and the only option was the China Airlines service the next day,( must have been a busy period if that flight was waitlisted). Or perhaps there was a booking condition/endorsement limiting the onward to China Airlines only. However its dissapointing to hear that the passenger was unhappy with attitudes of KL staff. Was it KL staff at AMS that were the problem?

KNIEVEL77
4th Jan 2009, 11:48
I never forget turning up at Newcastle Airport for a flight on BA to Heathrow to join a BA Partner Airline (Royal Jordanian) to Jordan.

Due to bad weather in London all domestic flights were cancelled and although they could still get me to Jordan that day via either Paris or Amsterdam they refused saying that fare was more expensive than my current one.

They quite simply said 'get the train to London' knowing fine well i'd still miss my connecting flight or travel the next day.........and that was it!!!!!

Thankyou BA!!!!! NOT!!!!

ash666
4th Jan 2009, 11:52
If you fly NCL to BKK it is China Airlines(CI) that ticket it all, they say they give you a "free" connecting flight to AMS though I am sure it is built into the price as CI is now a lot more expensive than Emirates. I haven't had a chance to have a long conversation with the person(not on a mobile abroad!) but I don't think the was happy with KLM staff at NCL but at AMS they were a lot worse. I have had this myself when I was in transit at BKK in the days when I used KLM all the time and got to the transit desk and got told that the plane(which I had re-confirmed) was full and I wasn't on it. I got stuck on a reserve list. When I complained at AMS they just laughed in my face! They said,"off course we overbook otherwise we would have empty seats". I would think that an empty plane would be a good thing if the seats had been paid for. Imagine getting home one night and finding an estate agent had sold your house(that wasn't on the market) and you now had no house and nowhere to live. I've never flown long haul with KLM again.

highwideandugly
I tried Emirates from NCL in August and didn't enjoy it(long post on the closed thread), mostly with having to wander around Dubai airport for 3 hrs when it should be sleep time and arriving like a zombie.

fl dutchman
4th Jan 2009, 13:42
"if you book NCL-BKK it is China Airlines that ticket it all" Yes if you book with China Airlines.

If you book NCL- BKK via BA(LHR) they issue the tickets, just as KL issue the tickets if you book with KL.

Always best to book the same carrier for the entire journey. Less risk of problems.

Most airlines except the LOCOS I think overbook flights. Its normal practice.

BALLSOUT
4th Jan 2009, 15:03
Postcard, Thanks for your post. I have not seen Ian for a couple of years and didn't know he was unwell. I am sure there will be others like me.
A sad loss of another man who lived for aviation. RIP Ian.

Cloud1
4th Jan 2009, 18:13
Don't think the average SLF would agree (and they'd be right not to) - they've paid the airline to deliver them and their baggage, not the airport. It's the airlines responsibility to ensure anybody they've got acting for them is doing their job properly.

I think you will find the airline will deliver the passenger and the baggage to the destination shown on the ticket, in this case Newcastle Airport. Therefore, it is not the airlines responsibility if the airport fails to deliver the bags on to the belt on time (or correct belt)

I agree that SLF would probably not agree with the above but this is where it comes down to the point that passengers know very little as they do not read the terms and conditions :ok:

Regardless of who was at fault, it is a situation experienced at many airports and I am quite confident not unique to NCL

DL93
5th Jan 2009, 16:04
Its offical- Easyjet have Newcastle - Malta on thier booking system twice weekly

Jamesair
5th Jan 2009, 17:18
EZY Malta route flies on Mon and Fri from 22nd May 2009 ...Mon dep NCL 1300 arr NCL 2115.........Fri dep NCL 1735 arr NCL 0150 (sat)

757 Speedbrakes
5th Jan 2009, 17:33
I agree!! why cant we have normal doors? Domestic arrivals is a NIGHTMARE!!!!

I know hun, I've missed the bus twice now as no one can be bothered to fix the door by closest to the stop........ and yes I did run!

It just adds to all the small 'little pains in the a**e' that make your job just a little more tiring , especially when your on min rest!

For example:

*Car park 5,000 miles away, when there are others closer unused!

*Doors that revolve at the same speed as the Earth, if they work at all!

*Lifts slower than an old Skoda

*Secruity measures that are now tighter then anywhere else, including Manchester!! Why do we have to remove belts, shoes, seperate liquids etc etc when no other airport does this and still no seperate staff channel??

Sorry I'm still ranting, there's a pint in it for whoever can get the above sorted!! :ok:

ash666
5th Jan 2009, 21:27
*Secruity measures that are now tighter then anywhere else, including Manchester!! Why do we have to remove belts, shoes, seperate liquids etc etc when no other airport does this and still no seperate staff channel??

And what annoys me is having done all this at NCL and still airside in transit, we have to do it all again at foreign gates. Surely 1 lot of xrays per flight is enough.

Jamesair
5th Jan 2009, 21:53
Security measures......I have to do all of the above everytime I fly from LHR and GTW...these are Govt regulations.

nclops
6th Jan 2009, 10:29
And what annoys me is having done all this at NCL and still airside in transit, we have to do it all again at foreign gates. Surely 1 lot of xrays per flight is enough.

The only time you have to do it twice at NCL is if your traveling to SFB. On no other foreign flights do you get searched twice.

ash666
6th Jan 2009, 11:44
NO, I meant foreign gates, as in abroad. IE I get checked at ncl and then again at the gate at AMS(or wherever), never having gone landside.
Some airports are worse, you have to go through xrays getting into the airport, then to go airside, then at the gate, all the time my laptop is having to be taken out and put back in my hand luggage.
Last time I got a bottle of water at ncl(airside) and took it on the plane quite happily. It was taken off me at AMS. It all drives me crackers, and in all honesty most of it is for show. If a terrorist wants to blow up a plane he will and there is very little we can do about it. They know all the rules and searches as well as we do.

KNIEVEL77
6th Jan 2009, 11:51
I was searched 3 times at Glasgow Airport before boarding the plane and undoubtedly left my car keys in the tray at one of the security checks..........so after having to get a hire car back to Newcastle, waiting for Alfa to deliver a set of keys and paying for them, another hire car back to Glasgow and then a 10 day NCP Airport parking charge there was very little change out of £1000........i'm sure there is a moral to the story somewhere!!!!:ugh:

Delta 8
6th Jan 2009, 12:46
EZY MLA officially announced today on the news :D

757 Speedbrakes
6th Jan 2009, 17:22
ASH

It all drives me crackers, and in all honesty most of it is for show

For heavens sake don't say that to a security agent!! :oh:

Unfortunately, until the government issue a firm set of guidelines and don't allow other airports to make up their own additional rules it will remain a mess.

In a que for security at LGW the other week I heard the passengers in front discussing if they had to remove shoes, or remove belts and that in Germany they did one system and in Spain they do nothing at all etc etc.

Why can't have a common system in all EU countries and a common airside pass or at least, a common UK airside pass for staff?? :ugh:

I'm sure this has been discussed at lenth on other forums and is a common topic in publications by BALPA and CHIRP etc.

ash666
6th Jan 2009, 17:52
No, I just smile sweetly(usually, tho' when they took water off me at AMS that had already been ok'd I passed a comment about them getting a nice stock of Xmas presents!). I don't want to give the jobsworths any reason to mess up my much loved holidays.

DL93
9th Jan 2009, 11:48
It was a tragic loss of life, I feel asking questions about it on a rumour network is highly inappropriate,

KNIEVEL77
9th Jan 2009, 11:52
DL93,

The post concerned has been removed however TV and Radio news programmes have been running the story all morning.

K77.

andrewmcharlton
9th Jan 2009, 11:57
Given that it is an aviation forum and sadly loss of life is regularly discussed it's not inappropriate as long as no sensitive or personal details are disclosed. It will be on Look North before long and in the public domain if not already so not exactly classified data. Just be careful not to include names or details not appropriate thats all, common sense.

BALLSOUT
9th Jan 2009, 12:41
What has happened then?

andrewmcharlton
9th Jan 2009, 13:07
As per BBC:

BBC NEWS | England | Tyne | Worker dies at Newcastle airport (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/tyne/7819742.stm)

A worker has died following an accident at Newcastle Airport.
The 50-year-old, who has not been named, was working on the apron - the area where aircraft is refuelled or boarded - when the accident happened.
An investigation is being carried out by Northumbria Police and the Health and Safety Executive.
A spokesperson for Newcastle International Airport said flights were operating as normal following the incident early on Friday.
The airport has said it will cooperate fully with the investigation.

urdy gurdy
11th Jan 2009, 11:17
i disagree its totally inapropriate, its just people spreading rumours, which, when you hear as many as i do everyday, are blown out of proportion. The only the thing that should be said is paying respect, and sending thoughts to the family.
God bless
Thinking of all who were affected by this tragedy.

andrewmcharlton
11th Jan 2009, 11:30
Urdy,

Nobody has spread any rumours or posted anything which is not in the public domain.

It is a tragic accident and I am sure everyone sends their condolences to those affected by this.

Regrettably, these things are newsworthy and not even mentioning it is an over reaction. Fatal accidents are discussed on PPRUNE every signle day and it's about retaining tact and decency and not disclosing private, personal or confidential information.

TUGNBAR
11th Jan 2009, 13:35
Just to quote part of the PPRUNE' statement - "Reporting Points that may affect our jobs or lives"

Speculation is happening at airports and it will only be a matter of time before someone posts " A RUMOUR", so if it is left for a rumour monger, this thread will be blown all out of proportion should that rumour be inaccurate.

A tragic loss of life has happened and my sincere condolences along with every other airport worker Im sure go out to this gentlemans family and loved ones.

urdy gurdy
14th Jan 2009, 14:59
point taken Mr Charlton. As long as it all stays decent

Tom the Tenor
14th Jan 2009, 15:22
Happy New Year to all the folk in the Newcastle area.

How is the Emirates flight doing to Dubai these times and are there any long haul charter series to Florida or Mexico, or the Caribean areas for next summer ex Newcastle?

Has Newcastle always been at 2,333 metres or was there an extension at some point?

Thanks. Long live the LS535/6 to Cork!

transwede
14th Jan 2009, 18:12
2009 greetings TOM

From recent press releases and airport chit chat the EK service is doing well, can't rember the exact load factors!! Cargo is showing good growth and many services during weekends are fully booked, business class is very promising. Many pax are using the service for connecting flights.

In terms of long haul charters the following will operate this summer:

Thomson Airways 767-300ER to SFB and CUN (via MAN for fuel)
Monarch Airlines A330 to SFB
Air Transat A310 to YYZ

This totals 4 weekly flights, less than last summer as we have lost the MON charters to POP and CUN and also Thomson dropped their PUJ service :*

In terms of runway length, no extension made (I think) and the likes of EK and MON have no problem in lifting off with fully laiden A330 aircraft. Not entirely sure why TOM and their 767 stop off for fuel - thought it had the range?!

GrahamK
15th Jan 2009, 07:40
Hi, the MON A332 had no problems getting to SFB and POP, but when doing CUN had to stop off at POP.
The TOM 763 does have the range to do CUn nonstop, but the problem is NCL's runway - it just isn't long enough. The 787, when it comes, should change all this though (apparently) :ok:

DL93
15th Jan 2009, 12:01
flybe mayday this morning..... any more info?

nclops
15th Jan 2009, 13:17
BE7291 ABZ-LGW E195 GFBEH smoke in galley. A/C landed ok and towed to stand after inspection by fire service. New A/C positioned in to take pax to LGW.

AAIB arrived this afternoon to inspect the aircraft.

Ops Guy
15th Jan 2009, 15:31
Still remains at 2329 x 46 despite the current work in progress. :ok:

DL93
15th Jan 2009, 15:53
ncl ops- thanks for the info :)

do you know any think about the runway lights this morning

HH6702
15th Jan 2009, 19:25
after the sucess of leeds to new york jet2 are looking at expanding there range of long haul flights from uk airports for summer 2009

wonder if ncl will get the new york link now!! sorry to bring it up again

source: airlinerworld

CentreFix25
15th Jan 2009, 20:07
The economy doing whats it's doing, I wouldn't have thought so.

757 Speedbrakes
15th Jan 2009, 20:15
wonder if ncl will get the new york link now!! sorry to bring it up again

I mentioned on a Jet2 thread today that thay have just announced Tel Aviv from Manchester :ok:

Don't think we'll see any new routes from Jet2 at NCL to Summer 2010.

Still waiting to hear if there will be 2 x 757's for S'09 but don't think there will be enough capacity at MAN and LBA to free up an extra one. :(

Tom the Tenor
16th Jan 2009, 00:00
Thanks for the update, Transwede. Good to know what the summer plans are like. Hope the EK continues to do well. As for Jet2 & New York it sounds like a good idea to me - well established airline with the right aeroplane for the job. Should easily work on about three or four days a week given the right circumstances if there is any lift at all in our economies. Send two out via Cork! ;)

No harm in dreaming.

What a feat by the U S Airways crew in New York! Wow!

Jamesair
16th Jan 2009, 17:01
Looking at the Eastern timetable, I see that ABZ has reduced to 5 daily as forecast but SOU continues at 4 daily. (not reduced to 3 as expected).

Emirates pax fell 2% in December at 11,129 which is still very good.

macuser
17th Jan 2009, 08:10
Just booked for a Dubai flight in Feb. On selecting seats - not many spaces left.

ash666
19th Jan 2009, 15:47
Nothing out of the ordinary there.
Welcome to NCL!

Delta 8
19th Jan 2009, 17:18
I would expect this would have been down to staff shortage due to Gate taking over the handling of Easy from Wed. Still not acceptable to be waiting over an hour for baggage, the flight time was probably shorter. :(

CentreFix25
19th Jan 2009, 18:23
I assume Servisair staff have jumped ship to Gate and not been replaced, and since they have lost the contract Servisair probably dont give a toss.

apaul
19th Jan 2009, 18:43
In my experience the baggage handling at NCL is often much worse in the evening. Presumably they don't employ enough handlers for this shift plus they've no pressure to turn the aircraft round as it's the last flight of the day. The airport management seem happy to let their passengers stew while raking in extra parking charges from the cars waiting in the pick-up area. Last May I was about 40 minutes early coming back from Verona but it took longer than that to unload a half-full B737. Earlier in the day they are often much better. Last Sunday afternoon I was 20mins early coming back from Bristol and the bags came through after about 10 minutes even though the aircraft was parked out in the countryside. Bristol Airport is also pretty efficient, but you have wait in an elongated bus-shelter before boarding. Also some of their charges are worse than elsewhere - £1 non-returnable for a luggage trolley and £1.90 extra to pay for parking with a credit card.

HH6702
20th Jan 2009, 13:33
4th ed on website a few changes

Robert William
20th Jan 2009, 23:05
Again Servisair didnt loose the contract, notice was given to EasyJet,

GayFriendly
21st Jan 2009, 05:22
Just booked for a Dubai flight in Feb. On selecting seats - not many spaces left

I was told that EK don't release all seats on a flight for selection on their website, they hold back quite a few for those who check in on the day and other 'special' pax so the fact there are not many seats to select doesn't really tell you how full the flight will be - I booked BHX-DXB-MCT last Feb for travel in Aug, very few seats available for selection when I booked, flight from BHX was only just over half full on the day I travelled! :)

urdy gurdy
22nd Jan 2009, 09:19
Jet2 long haul? it wasn't that long ago they were offering very reduced holidays on longhaul to staff to fill the aircraft.
long wait for bags - i know pax who have flew in from europe and waited longer for there bags than they spent on the aircraft.
:oh:

ash666
22nd Jan 2009, 11:21
my ears are burning.

maxtoon
28th Jan 2009, 15:45
The new airport hotel certainly seems to be coming along nicely ..

does anyone know which hotel chain it's gonna be ??

chris1001
28th Jan 2009, 20:42
I hear it was going to be Ramada.

Can the airport do anything about the Britannia Hotel - very poor image at the gateway to the airport. Would have thought a Radisson SAS would be interested in the Ramada plot.

northumberlandairway
31st Jan 2009, 11:28
Before Malta was announced as the newest Easyjet route there was a definite feeling that there would be more than one new destination. Now that we know that Malta is to be served twice a week, has anyone done an analysis of the planes' scheduled movements to see if there is room for any more development?

As we were expecting more and it seems that the East European flights are being taken off the schedule I assume that easyjet are not leaving planes lying around doing nothing.

Jamesair
31st Jan 2009, 17:34
Eastern have dropped two flights a week from the middle rotation to Cardiff.

fl dutchman
1st Feb 2009, 10:48
There does seems to be a lot of Easyjet planes "lying around " this winter, but that tends to happen in the winter, but not as much as is happening now. Is there still 5 aircraft based? as the schedule looks like 3 could cope at the moment on most days.
Would be surprised if it continues during the summer though. Is it not to be 6 based aircraft this summer, with increased frequency to the sunshine routes, compensating for the lack of PRG and KRK, and reduced frequncy to STN. Would be surprised to see more new routes at this time but you never know.
Strange that several "tour operators" (Readers holidays as recent as today) are advertising deals to both Prague and Krakow using Easyjet from NCL this coming summer??

Noticed that Flybe has dropped some flights recently. For example most weekdays down to 3 x daily to LGW and on some weekdays just 2 have opperated instead of the normal 4.
Although I understand 4x daily is to be restored with better timings in the next few weeks.
Also noticed Exeter just once daily, thought it was planned for 2?, and Belfast City once daily.

SWBKCB
1st Feb 2009, 11:03
Definetly 5 EZY based at the moment (2 319 and 3 737) - at least they do more flying than LS!

Cloud1
1st Feb 2009, 11:54
NCL-EXT has been once daily for sometime now (winter anyway) and some days not operating at all. Returns to twice daily (for 2 days of the week) in the summer rest is only once daily.......not enough people or just poor timings for business passengers? My theory - the latter.

NCL-LGW is 4 times a daily but only 3 days a week. The rest is a combination of 2 or 3 daily. (summer)

NCL-BHD twice daily (2 days a week) the rest only once daily (summer)

I assume a lot of these changes are a combination of low pax demand and to allow for additional services to summer routes JER and the weekly LIG

fl dutchman
1st Feb 2009, 16:50
Looking at FlyBe again (weekdays only). The 4x daily LGW resumes soon(within the next few weeks with much better timings) and continues throught the summer except from mid July to the end of August when the 9.30 ish departure does not operate on Tue and Wed only. So its only during the School hols its reduced on two days a week presumably fewer business pax during this period.

They must have 2 A/c based at NCL from April as the Southampton originates from NCL from then. Although was there not 2 based until recently before they finished the 2 early deps to LGW.

Shame about Exeter, the pax nos on this route have been good but have dropped off significantly since the schedules changed. Although its still daily with 2 daily on Mons and Fri from April ( as per Cloud 1). I think.

sunshine79
2nd Feb 2009, 07:58
I noticed the LS ACE flight is stuck downroute, has it gone tech?

djkenrob
2nd Feb 2009, 09:23
Think it went to LPA as could not land at ACE due to weather. Same for the GSM from Edinburgh, due to land yesterday at 1.30pm, finally landed at ACE 9am this morning after two attempts to land at ACE yesterday. Pax spent the night in hotels on FUE. LS pax probably stayed in LPA. All down to wind and rain.

transwede
2nd Feb 2009, 13:15
BBC local news reporting a few 'exotic' diversions landed at NCL this morning due WX down south - PHL, GCM and DAC flights diverted into NCL.

GrahamK
2nd Feb 2009, 13:47
Yup, 2 x BA 763s and 1 x 772. All in at the same time as the EK A330.

How will NCL have coped? :E

FFC
2nd Feb 2009, 16:58
American flights at last :D. Were all the passengers and crew bussed back to LHR ??
I bet they were happy.

skhwoody
3rd Feb 2009, 15:48
maxtoon (http://www.pprune.org/members/191009-maxtoon)

The new airport hotel certainly seems to be coming along nicely ..

does anyone know which hotel chain it's gonna be ??

The new Hotel at the front of the terminal has been confirmed as a Hilton.

Jamesair
3rd Feb 2009, 16:45
Eastern have now cut BHX from 4 daily to 3 daily.

fl dutchman
3rd Feb 2009, 18:44
Has it not been 3 x daily for months now?

maxtoon
3rd Feb 2009, 19:33

when was this confirmed and by who ???

no mention of it on the new 'hotel' website :hmm:

skhwoody
4th Feb 2009, 22:58
its not been released publically as yet but most staff aware, been known since just before xmas.

Jamesair
5th Feb 2009, 16:49
Looks like NCL has fallen victim to the cuts at Shannon announced by Ryanair today....no flights after March 09.

Dublin seems to have lost the third frequency on certain days this summer, now twice daily.

fl dutchman
5th Feb 2009, 17:00
Not surprised about RYR Shannon.

Are EI doing Dublin in the summer as well as RYR?

Jamesair
5th Feb 2009, 22:40
Yes, I think EI are doing 5 x weekly

skhwoody
8th Feb 2009, 11:24
Quote:
Originally Posted by skhwoody

when was this confirmed and by who ???

no mention of it on the new 'hotel' website http://static.pprune.org/images/smilies/yeees.gif

Although you will notice the work has stopped on the hotel, rumour is the money has run out so tools have been downed

sunshine79
8th Feb 2009, 14:31
When you go onto the Hilton website and type in Newcastle for destination, 'airport' shows as a Newcastle option although it dosen't show on the availability page.

Jamesair
8th Feb 2009, 16:43
Actually, the main Newcastle/Gateshead Hilton shows as the "airport" hotel.

richardhall99
9th Feb 2009, 16:17
Wasn't it announced a while back it was going to be a Ramada??

Jamesair
9th Feb 2009, 16:48
I think it was announced on the airport website as a news item. Hotel companies rarely build their own properties now so it would probably be a Management Contract and these change frequently.

maxtoon
9th Feb 2009, 18:48
Although you will notice the work has stopped on the hotel, rumour is the money has run out so tools have been downed

work is still continuing on the hotel although it seems some comprimises have been made with the original design. One of the ends will remain unglazed and unfortunately it's a huge area so it looks pretty bad !!

I've also noticed that initial ground prep work has begun for the new petrol station at the airport entrance.

Delta 8
9th Feb 2009, 18:51
Petrol station

It's about time :ok:

bluepilot
9th Feb 2009, 19:28
quote: Petrol station

It's about time

At airport prices?? i doubt if i will be filling up there on my way home :rolleyes:

groundhand
10th Feb 2009, 10:52
petrol station?

It is like turning the clock back.
How long ago was when the last one (Avis) closed? 15 years?

GH

CentreFix25
10th Feb 2009, 18:48
Didn't think Avis did petrol stations, where was it? I don't recall ever seeing one.

maxtoon
10th Feb 2009, 20:42
Was just thinking that ..

Can't remember the airport ever having a petrol station !!

fl dutchman
10th Feb 2009, 20:44
If my memory is correct it was just outside the terminal building. If you exit the current door opposite the international arrivals next to the parking ticket machines, cross the road and you would be on the land where the filling station was. It was also an Avis car rental station.

Could you imagine a public petrol station so close to an airport terminal now!.

If you looked back to the terminal you would probably see a BKS Britania or Viscount. Not to mention a Dan Air DC3 or Airspeed Ambasador billowing smoke in the air on start up, and possibly a BUA Visc used on the Ams route in those happy days.

Sorry about that. Fond memories (poor old soul!!).

Think it closed as a petrol station over 30yrs ago but continued to be used by Avis for some time afterwards.

maxtoon
10th Feb 2009, 20:59
thanks for that dutchman ..

now you mention it i do remember something being in that location for hire cars but didn't realise it was ever a public petrol station, especially being so close to the terminal as you say.

well remembered :ok:

fl dutchman
12th Feb 2009, 14:52
Reduced to once daily from end of March as part of the Dublin cutbacks. Still twice daily on Fri and Sun.

So thats the day return facility gone, although EI still doing a mid afternoon flight I think

Jamesair
12th Feb 2009, 23:15
That comes as a bit of shock......probably be re-instated when they get their own way with the Airport Authority/Govt

transwede
13th Feb 2009, 09:14
When EI operated twice daily (am and pm) they did pretty well on the route, in fact alot of passengers used it for connections, particularly to Irish domestic destinations and across the pond. Maybe they should give it another go - certainly transiting through DUB to US/Europe/Eire is alot easier than many other hubs from NCL??

Jamesair
14th Feb 2009, 16:53
Does anyone know what the weekly (Sat) Flybe operation to Bergen is Dep 1825 Arr 2230? Is it a winter sports charter or.......?

transwede
15th Feb 2009, 09:09
Is it not a school ski charter of some kind?

nclops
15th Feb 2009, 10:15
Its definitely a ski charter, don't know who for though. Only runs until the 28th Feb.

transwede
19th Feb 2009, 18:36
Could BE ever restart PRG/KRK routes from NCL, now EZY have dropped them...no Eastern European routes left at NCL??? Could a Q400 make it?

Waveman
19th Feb 2009, 18:54
Q400 used to do NCL-SZG so PRG no problem. KRK stretching it a little with a full load.

CentreFix25
19th Feb 2009, 19:40
I think the best bet for those routes will be for EZY to reinstate them, but I cant see any new routes or reinstated routes before Summer 2010.

Jamesair
20th Feb 2009, 17:23
Very sad to see MME/LBA lose their LHR routes, someone on another thread even suggested that BE makes their LGW route....NCL - LBA - LGW

NCL is lucky to have three routes to London and the MME closure must strengthen these operations.

maxtoon
20th Feb 2009, 20:55
Can just see how popular NCL - LBA - LGW would be for northeast commuters

How dare they suggest such a thing :=

agreed on the MME issue which will surely expand the NCL catchment area for Capital travellers who may now make the journey 45 miles north before heading south.

northumberlandairway
21st Feb 2009, 16:09
If EZY have indeed abandoned PRG and KRK then that is yet another one of their short sighted mistakes. If it isn't hot, sunny or in Spain the Geordies won't want to go there despite all the evidence to the contrary.

As far as I can tell from the schedules currently published planes are going to be lying around doing nothing at certain times of the week. Heaven forbid but can we dare to expect more route announcements. There were great expectations before Malta was announced but they all came to nought.

Now that Wizzair have abandoned MME then there is absolutely no link from the North East to Poland. EZY simply don't want to get involved any more. Surely there is a gap in the market for Wizzair that is crying out to be filled. Apparently they are expanding their fleet. Perhaps the airport managers should ring up the people with the purple planes as those with the orange ones have a very cliched view of what the North East wants.

CentreFix25
21st Feb 2009, 20:35
GTW = Gottwaldov (Holesov), it's in the Czech Republic.

Suzeman
21st Feb 2009, 20:41
Can just see how popular NCL - LBA - GTW would be for northeast commuters

GTW = Gottwaldov (Holesov), it's in the Czech Republic.

Not very popular then?

Suzeman

GayFriendly
22nd Feb 2009, 05:55
GTW - At least that would give NCL an Eastern European route ;)

BIG E
24th Feb 2009, 16:57
Northumberlandairway

The point is, easjet have tried the likes of PRG,SXF,BUD etc but the fact is once the novelty of these destinations wears off they become inefficient routes to operate and therefore unprofitable so they have justifiably dumped them. Maybe the purple headed warriors may have more success bringing poles to sunderland but at the end of the day people of the north east do like their beach holidays...

northumberlandairway
24th Feb 2009, 18:36
Who at this time of the year does not crave sun and warmth? Whilst I can accept that some non-sunshine routes may have a limited shelf-life from NCL (such as BUD), I cannot believe that the good people of the North East ONLY want to fry on the Costas. Don't forget that apprixmately 40,000 new 18 year olds join the NE economy every year.

The economy may be in depression but economic life still exists; KRK had it continued would have been the only route to Poland from between South or West Yorkshire and Edinburgh and I still cannot believe to this day that SXF was an unprofitable route, (nor was BGY for Ryanair). Most people despite the economic doom and gloom are still eating, being clothed, use essential services and travel a bit.

My criticism is that, it seems that the route planning management of EZY have a very south centred and somewhat archaic view of the North East. They seem to think we still keep coal in the bath, race whippets and only want Newcy Broon in Alicante.

Although I have nothing against anyone craving a bit of sun, sand and sangria. It's something I like myself every now and then. I just wish the route planners would look at demographics and be a bit more imaginative. NCL is apparently one of EZY best performing bases and I think this should be acknowledged with a wider range of destinations.

ric180880
25th Feb 2009, 04:18
The airlines will only operate routes that make money and for the north east that is the traditional bucket and spade routes. If there was money to be made in the likes of BUD or SXF then i'm sure they would be operating these routes.

northumberlandairway
25th Feb 2009, 09:45
But were KRK and SXF actually losing money for EZY? I suspect they weren't. BUD probably was and I was surprised that that route lasted as long as it did. Ryanair was probably doing OK with BGY as well before they messed around with the timings.

Bucket and spade fine. But the point I was trying to make is that the route planners seem to be very superficial and unimaginative in their planning. I find it hard to believe that a region like the North East cannot justify several low cost flights a week to the German capital, northern Italy or anywhere in Poland.

andrewmcharlton
25th Feb 2009, 20:26
Route planners follow the money, period.

They don't put a route on for any other purpose whatsoever. It was either not profitable to be axed or not as profitable as others. End of story.

skhwoody
26th Feb 2009, 05:52
But the Krakow flight for example was always full in and out everyday..... that route has gone now and i cannot fathom what prompted the removal of that route as a full plane must be profitable...?

andrewmcharlton
26th Feb 2009, 06:20
skhwoody

Read my post again....

It was either not profitable to be axed or not as profitable as others.

ric180880
26th Feb 2009, 08:35
Flights can still be full but not profitable. Its all down to the yeild that they get for the seats. If they are selling the seats cheap then it will be a low yeild so they will put the aircraft onto routes where they can get a high yeild. Also has to do with airport costs, land fees etc.

Airlines are a business and the primary principle of a business is that it is there to make money for its shareholders so therefore bucket and spade routes are most profitable out of the north east so thats what is done.

GrahamK
26th Feb 2009, 09:29
Looking at the pax figures for January, it seems that virtually every route from NCL is losing pax big style. EK is down by nearly 1,000. Even TFS, ALC and AGP are down :eek:

How long before NCL becomes a sub 5 million pax airport again?

apaul
26th Feb 2009, 09:35
I agree you can't tell just form numbers, but the three or four flights I took to Berlin were always much fuller than the flights I've taken to Bristol this year. Newcatle maintains several charter flights a week to Austria and North Italy and HLX/Tuifly which has less marketing and presumably higher costs has kept the Hanover route going. I'm sure there's a demand for routes other than the bucket and spade if Easyjet would show a bit more imagination.