PDA

View Full Version : New Uganda Airline

AirTanzania
13th Nov 2008, 02:00
hi there!!!!!

Anybody here from Uganda.

Just read- a new Start up Airline with a B737 that is on its way to Kampala. The company name is Skyjet and part of Alok Group.

My source- New Ugandan Airline "steals" Logo — Civil Aviation Forum | Airliners.net (http://www.airliners.net/aviation-forums/general_aviation/read.main/4209321/)

Does anybody have details on this,, like phone number, office location, when they are starting operations, what routes planned or who is behind this company?

Pls adv/

Thanks

Capt Megathrust
13th Nov 2008, 10:32
Keen to know who is behind this, as previously any attempt to form an airline based in Uganda has not lasted. Hope this one does better - anyone got any news about crewing for the 737-200 they are flying?

ugflyer
14th Nov 2008, 02:45
I am honestly tired of people coming up with these half-assed, half-baked start ups in Uganda. Whoever is behind skyjet and all the failures that came before it ala AfricaOne, East African, Victoria and those that I seem to have forgotten better get a grip. How they plan to come in and hope to be profitable flying 737-200's is beyond my reasoning. Kenya Airways, Ethiopian, South African are all flying the latest more fuel effiecient NG 737's. Besides that, they have all the market share to themselves.....so for the brains behind SkyJet, I am just dumbfounded. I may be wrong, but someone PLEASE quote me when SkyJet goes under. Until we get some serious minded individuals that do their homework, aviation in Uganda is DOOMED.:ok:

RICCARDOVOLANTE
25th Nov 2008, 16:45
Skyjet Uganda , a new start up company in Uganda tomorrow looks like is going to lose their Director of Operation, already, for not paying the salary .
I do not know looks like strange that those companies they just started and already they lose before getting airborne.

Hogger60
2nd Dec 2008, 14:51
First proving flight for Skyjet is scheduled for Friday.

chrislikesblue
2nd Dec 2008, 15:13
Anyone has their contacts,i couldnt find any website.

RICCARDOVOLANTE
2nd Dec 2008, 16:16
for further info and contact you must look on the NGO Airline operation and than on the Carree site you have to look Voluntary pilot job

By the way if they schedule their flight as they schedule their salary payment
well I feel sorry for those passengers

Hogger60
3rd Dec 2008, 14:14
The Website is www.fly-skyjet.com (http://www.fly-skyjet.com).

Hogger60
3rd Dec 2008, 14:16
The Website for Skyjet is wwwfly-skyjet dot com.

kalooli
4th Dec 2008, 12:51
:eek:Their website is truly frightening

RICCARDOVOLANTE
6th Dec 2008, 12:16
It i more frightening to know that I lost almost 5000 Euro in proficiency check on the B737 200 plus 4500 USD as Salary for the month of November because that s the salary for a D/O .
And if you guys are thinking to do better than I did ...well let me tell you they already are citing on you immediately after you send your application.
Do not the believe to the promises of this manager or his deputy manager .They are try to get free pilots has much as they can.
They should be ashamed of what they have done to me , mainly because they knew that I was without a job for long time and I needed money for me and my family and instead they make me pay for my own P/C on the B737 knowing that they were not going even to pay the miserable 4500USD per month salary.
To all of you that are starving to go to the Jet , do not start in this way ,stubbing others pilots .
Thank you to all of you
Maybe this is the right time to start to make the thinks going right in our category do not believe in false promises.
Regards
Riccardo Volante
P.S.
Stay away from them

ugflyer
6th Dec 2008, 16:41
RICCARDOVOLANTE, I truly sympathise with you in this unfortunate turn of events. I hope they get a reality check and do things the way they need to be done.
The way I see things, if there is a start up anywhere that is only hoping to get things started with one airplane and an old gas-guzzler. That is a red flag from the get go. IT is plain and clear they do not have sufficeint capital to fund the operation as it's getting off the ground and are hoping to merely get along till things turn for the better.
I smelled a rat right from the start. And besides, the public at large will not take such investments seriously. Why get on board an airplane that is owned by a company that is not established when I can get back on KQ, SAA, Ethiopian or the other companies that have reputations. Shame on Sly-Jet! And once again, someone PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE quote me when this "scraped together" airline goes under!

I'm out.

RICCARDOVOLANTE
6th Dec 2008, 16:57
ugflyer
Thank your support.
If all we say "no" someday we will all have better life
Riccardo Volante

helldog
7th Dec 2008, 10:20
Thats right Riccardo we should all say no. You should have said no to paying for your pc mate. By you agreeing to pay for that you would have jumped ahead of the line of guys that said no to paying for their pc, you know that. Next time say 'no'. You are a professional pilot with hard earned qualifications and experience if they want your services they should pay to get you current. I do feel for you mate, I know what its like to be out of work and have to find a way to provide for a family. Its a harsh lesson but I hope you never pay for a pc or a type rating out of your own pcket again.

gallo
7th Dec 2008, 11:59
Hi folks,
this colourscheme looks exactly like the US carrier National Airlines' paintjob.
Its a shame.

RICCARDOVOLANTE
9th Dec 2008, 13:48
Helldog
thanks for your support but I do not accept any MORAL lesson from you because I remind you that for you was all right the fact that I have to accept to pay 5000 $USD for a training bond for the 208 in Tanzania .Ooops but that was all right for you because you did want any enemy in the Tanzania environment even if that would be stubbing other pilots.
Do am I wrong?Do not look the little toothpick in the of your brother pilot but look in the big pole you have in you eye.Do I have to remind you how much did you care about my case in Tanzania?Where even there for the arrogance and the willing of many pilots to stubbs others pilots I lost time , money and son on?
I hope that now you got a good job you will never have to pass over the body of another colleague.
By the way I have more 750 tt hours on B737 as PIC and FO and the only one to apply for that job in Uganda where pilot without experience ready to fly for free .I have been the only one that never the less I am without a job I did not make any deal for my salary .When the time came and I did see my salary on my account I resigned someone else instead went down to Uganda to fly for free.
So I guess do not give me moral lesson

rowboat737
9th Dec 2008, 22:43
Ricardo,

I ferried N326DL to Entebbe last month! After what I saw there, I wonder if they will make it off the ground!

Sorry to hear of your situation with Skyjet!

RICCARDOVOLANTE
10th Dec 2008, 08:17
Thanks for you support.
I asked to fly the airplane with you guys ,but they did not even care about it.
For me it was going to be a very good refreshment training at no extra cost but those guys in Skyjet they were more worry about the cost of the extra bed in the hotel than getting on back in shape for me.
Safety it seems like is not a big deal for them.

helldog
10th Dec 2008, 10:09
Well Riccardo, I think that you should look back at the advice I took the time to give you, I met up with you at Arusha Airport and I gave you details of operators in Tanzania and gave you an honest opinion of the operator you were looking to work for. I see nothing wrong with signing a bond, if you were asked to pay for a rating then you did the right thing turning it down. Lets get one thing straight mate, I have ever and will never pay for a rating in out of my own pocket but I will sign a bond to show my commitment to the job. I never payed for the Caravan rating mate, I started on the 206 and was required to move to the van and I was bonded for the cost of the rating. Now back to your job in Arusha, you turned down the job for what ever reason you saw fit, dont blame me and every other pilot in Tanzania at the time for your problems.

Anyway this is quite pointless, if you are in Uganda I might see you around sometime maybe we can talk face to face next time I am there.

Remember mate you came to me for advice, now that I know more about you and your experience......my advice to you is to get out of Africa, go back to your European home and get a job on a 737 with a reputable operator that will pay you good money on time. Why are you in Africa man?

RICCARDOVOLANTE
10th Dec 2008, 11:34
Helldog
I will for sure will met you in Uganda face to face ,
Another advice to you take your advice for your self because you are talking to a person that know Tanzania and their operators before even you where born
As far paying for a bond you know more than I do that the guy asked me 5000$USD in Cash pay out from my pocket for training Bond that he was giving back to me to after 2 years of work.
Now get you out Africa and go back to your homeland where are looking for pilots and pay more and on time so you can learn what means WORK and not voluntary pilot job

helldog
10th Dec 2008, 11:53
Riccardo why are you so angry mate? You seem to think the world is against you man. No one is out to get you, I am simply asking why you are persisting with these dodgy African operators when you seem well qualified.

Fair enough, next time I am in Entebbe I will let you know and we can have a beer and you can tell me exactly why your misfortune has caused so much anger towards myself and other pilots I know.

Until we meet, best of luck.

chrislikesblue
10th Dec 2008, 23:13
Hi guys i saw the website of this company,it looks like they are already operating and expanding if everything they show its true!
Ricardo im sorry about ur loss.Just a few questions because im thinking to take the risk and apply to them!
How is living conditions,comfortable?Accomodation is covered by them?
Whats the salary and how many years commitment?Work schedule is hard?
Captains are competent?How many aircrafts they have,its not very clear from the website.
Thanks and wish u best of luck with the next job if u already left.

rowboat737
11th Dec 2008, 02:03
Hi Air Tanzania...

I ferried N326DL to Entebbe, Uganda last month.....Skyjet's first 737 delivery.

Alok Group from Sudan is financing the start-up, but from what I saw, I wish them LUCK!!

rowboat737
11th Dec 2008, 02:14
Ricardo..

When the "Big Chief" is driving around in a BMW, and the ops has no reliable Internet, no fax, and the top floor of their "ops building" is going to be used as "crew quarters"....that's telling you something, my friend!

And if they do get their AOC and get the routes going, if they don't adopt Western procedures as far as crew CRM, progressive maintenance, etc, they will be targeting for disaster!

Need to Know Basis
11th Dec 2008, 12:30
From what I here there are bigger plans. Alok Group is Sudanese. I assume long term aim is to have a carrier but based in South Sudan. The Skyjet B732 is just a stop gap and I agree a very expensive one and they are bound to loose money on it. Not a good start, poor choice in acft.

Just my 10 cents worth.

RICCARDOVOLANTE
11th Dec 2008, 14:09
Well
It is a big group Alok Group.
They have big plans.
"Big Chief" is driving around in a BMW.
and.................than ??????
They can not afford to pay a miserable 4500USD$ for one month salary????
But what kind of big group is this?????Does sound like an international corporation.Look like a down town west side bar............
If was one of the board director or the president of this big group I would be ashamed of such attitude.

four engine jock
12th Dec 2008, 08:01
Need to Know
In your vast aviation experience, what aircraft would you have chosen.
The B737-200 is the bast for the price. But then what do I know.

Need to Know Basis
12th Dec 2008, 11:32
Nope, never claim to have vast knowledge. Although what I do know is that the B732 initial outlay is not much. The operating costs, spares and fuel and is huge and has no long term benefit for a new start up airline to grow. Me - the RJ100 on the cheaper side but then preferred a EMB170/190 if you really want a solid base.....but this is expensive.

Again, just my 10 cents worth.

RICCARDOVOLANTE
15th Dec 2008, 15:14
do you know the meaning of contract?
you are loosing the face with your friends and future clients .
I received the answer from the Italian embassy . Shame , but what kind of people are you? You do not even know the meaning of contract? start and end?
credential to obtain AOC? You need a crew. Future ? yea right and that is nothing. I just finished talking with another person that know you from the old job .
He says that you do not even know to run a company .

helldog
20th Dec 2008, 08:55
Hey Riccardo, a company in SA is looking for 737-200 captains through the agency Touch Aviation captains (http://www.aviationjobsearch.com/employer.asp?employerid=2845&vacID=145451) see if that link works.:ok:

RICCARDOVOLANTE
20th Dec 2008, 10:38
Thank you Helldog.
I already apply to them long time ago and again few days back.
I sure appreciate your info anyway. You got a drink on me for the next time we see each other.
Thank you
Riccardo Volante

helldog
21st Dec 2008, 12:01
No worries mate. See you around sometime, good luck with the job.

Pos Rate
20th Jan 2009, 04:10
So did the SkyJet operation ever make it off the ground?

WDaron
22nd Jan 2009, 03:57
I'm passing through there AGAIN this week, I'll try to find out. I know many of the pilots there.

Nightfire
24th Jan 2009, 15:26
Another shady operator, managed by some thugs.
A new startup company, operating a single 737-200: What t.f. do you expect??? I wouldn't even waste my time trying to find out any further details.

Any new airline starting to operate and deserving attention (other than that of the tax-office), would have to come up with something more respectful than that. Experienced management, proper maintenance, new airplanes and certainly a fleet of more than one plane; present a business-plan, decent website, and transparent organisation. Stuff like that.

However, any no-goodnick manager can come up with $50.000,- and lease some kind of junky old airplane. Then he either finds some naive investors, or partners who want to wash some money. After half a year or so, the "airline" is declared bankrupt, the money is gone, and so is the CEO. :}

Wake up: There is no pilot-job, there never was one.

Hogger60
25th Jan 2009, 23:06
Skyjet for Juba passenger route
Tom Magumba & Justus Lyatuu
Kampala

Passengers plying the Entebbe-Juba route have another option of boarding Skyjet- a local cargo airline that has upgraded to carrying passengers.

The aircraft is scheduled to ply the Entebbe-Juba-Khartoum and Khartoum-Juba-Entebbe daily starting February 1. This is not only likely to break the monopoly of Eagle Air and Air Uganda - the only passenger planes that have been operating from Entebbe airport to Juba - it could spark a new wave of competition on the route.

Skyjet Aviation Uganda Ltd Chairman Hamad Tamale Musoke said this was a joint venture with Sudan-based Alok Group of Companies who also own a local airline operating in Southern Sudan.

Alok Group owns a 30 per cent stake while the 70 per cent is for Mr Mosoke and Captain Ahmed - all Ugandan businessmen.
“We want to feel the transport gap to Southern Sudan and we hope the passengers will benefit from our services,” he said at a function to launch the airline’s passenger operations last week.

Skyjet has been operating at Entebbe Airport since 2003 as a cargo plane. Its B737-232 has already been registered in Uganda and the second plane a B767 - planned to serve the long-haul routes - is expected by end of May 2009.

Mr Musoke said the airline is designated to fly to North Sudan, Egypt, United Arab Emirates, South Africa, Kenya and Tanzania. Some of these regional and international routes will be used immediately and others in the medium term to mark the first phase before venturing into Europe. He said they were already formalising issues of accreditation in these countries through the respective embassies and ministries of foreign affairs.

Mr Musoke said their first passenger flight with capacity of 110 passengers is scheduled for February 1 offering a baggage allowance of 30kg and 40kg for those travelling in the “economy” and “first” class respectively. “We are launching at a time when there so many challenges like fluctuating fuel prices and competition but we are prepared for all this,” Mr Musoke said adding that will employ 350 Ugandans both directly and indirectly through forward and backward linkages.

Skyjet Commercial Manager Emmanuel Okware declined to comment on the rates however, they are not expected to beat the existing ones.

Hogger60
28th Jan 2009, 01:26
Uganda’s Skyjet taking to the skies again

http://www.eturbonews.com/files/imagecache/fullpage/files/clouds-grass032s.jpg Image via artistsagainstwindfarms.com

By Wolfgang H. Thome | Jan 26, 2009
KAMPALA, Uganda (eTN) - After an anxious wait, when bureaucrats and politicians dragged their feet to grant the final permissions to Uganda’s latest airline to at last take to the skies, all systems are now go for Skyjet.
The airline’s aircraft sat on the ground for weeks after getting its Air Operator Certificate (AOC), costing investors much loss. However, the long wait has now ended.
Commercial director Emmanuel Okware briefed this correspondent on the airline’s plans and confirmed that they would operate daily early morning flights from Entebbe to Juba and then on to Khartoum, before returning in the afternoon via Juba again to Entebbe. It remains to be seen if Air Uganda will make any changes to their Juba flights so that a morning and afternoon departure from Entebbe will offer better choices to travelers.
Skyjet has been given designated carrier‚ status by the Ugandan Civil Aviation Authority to fly to Southern Sudan, Sudan, Egypt, United Arab Emirates, Djibouti, South Africa, Kenya and Tanzania.
Flights will commence with a Boeing 737-200 previously operated in the US. A second aircraft is expected to join their fleet by May this year, also from the US, before by end 2009 a B767 is due to join the fleet for the longer routes, also coming from the same previous owners. The airline will eventually commence a three times a week flight to Cairo, via Khartoum, probably when their second aircraft is operational.
Skyjet’s two letter code is UQ‚ or Uniform Quebec‚ in airline lexicon, assigned a few weeks ago by the International Air Transport Association.
Bookings can be made through the leading global reservation systems like Galileo and Amadeus to facilitate business through travel agents, although Skyjet, of course, accepts direct bookings.
The airline will be e-ticket compliant and launch fares for the Juba and Khartoum routes are a bargain.
The baggage allowance is 30 and 40 KG, respectively in Y and C Class.

Hogger60
28th Jan 2009, 01:34
News from ‘Uganda – Gifted by Nature’ and the East
African region
By Prof. Dr. Wolfgang H. Thome
Third edition January 2009
SKYJET DELAYS START UP
Indication is that a lack of ‘approvals’ from the
political oversight and the powers that be has delayed
the operations start of Skyjet, which was generally
expected by early January, after the airline had passed
all regulatory hurdles and secured their AOC. Murmurs
at the airport in Entebbe are that this may be a
‘play’ similar to what has often been seen when new
airlines in the region wanted to start flights into Nairobi, to keep the
airline’s B737 off the profitable Juba route for a while longer.
However, with Royal Daisy Airlines apparently no longer on the
route – they halted operations months ago when their 30 seater
Embraer 120 went into heavy maintenance – there is definitely an
opening for a second regular operator, now that Eagle Air only flies
three times a week via the Southern Sudanese town of Yei to Juba,
making the journey with them substantially longer and hence less
attractive for Juba travellers from and to Entebbe.
Said one senior aviation expert in Kampala to this correspondent,
preferring anonymity for fear of repercussions: ‘Uganda can do with
more activities in the aviation field, but how does one attract more
investment into the sector in Uganda, when officials first promise
you the lot and after your money is spent and all prerequisite steps
have been taken they then let you wait with an aircraft sitting on the
ground and a lot of salaries to be paid against no income. They are
simply not serious and word has gotten out to potential investors
what to really expect. When the first helicopter service started from
the International Hospital, they could not get medivac flight permissions
late in the afternoon or at night; even so that heli was properly
equipped for night operations, citing obscure ‘security reasons’.
The owners lost a lot of revenue and although they are now back,
they sent the aircraft to South Sudan at the time so they could pay
their bills. Even our own Ugandan cargo airline with about 8 DC10
and other cargo aircraft, DAS Air, was allowed to collapse and now
foreign cargo carriers completely dominate that market in Entebbe.
It is a disgrace really, but comes as no surprise, that is how our fellows
operate and behave. As a Ugandan I am sad about this, and as
an aviator I am madly angry with those responsible’.
Going by conventional wisdom, once the airline has finally received
the ‘nod’ it will still take between 2 and 4 weeks to get their marketing
and sales activities into gear to ensure a decent load on their
flights, so February presently seems the best bet if anyone would
want to put money down. However, the busy pre and post holiday
season, when first flights from Juba were fully booked and now
flights to Juba are equally full again, is lost for Skyjet to their financial
detriment.

austra1998
29th Jan 2009, 12:16
mhuaa.................

WDaron
30th Jan 2009, 09:45
I was in Uganda when ViaUganda was operating. They had a 737 200 and did not last long.

From what I hear, SkyJet will not last long either. Spoke with an oke I know in Entebbe earlier who knows the guz there and he tells me they do have good financing from some group in Sudan (money laundering) so how long they want to support it is a big question. Once the bills really start coming due I think not long. They have some management that is full of lies, fancy promises, and hot air. The 767, if it ever were to come, is an old model that has been retired from the west, similar to the 737. Odds are it will not come.

Daron

Gaius Westman
31st Jan 2009, 12:26
what was that line, there's a sucker born every minute?

Nightfire
1st Feb 2009, 14:19
Yeah, well... A new startup, operating a single 737-200, out of Uganda, financed out of Sudan. :}
It's either mafia, or some kind of joke. Since nobody's laughing, that leaves...

What is there to discuss about? :ugh:

Gaius Westman
1st Feb 2009, 19:28
If you look at the website, they have some Ugandan with a bunch of qualifications as most of the top management types. I am not sure how valid their qualifications are, as TIA. There is another guy from North America somewhere involved, presumably he is the brains behind it all. Then again he can,t have much as he,s involved in a fly by night B732 operation in Uganda.

Hogger60
3rd Feb 2009, 23:16
From New Vision03Feb09

http://www.newvision.co.ug/NP/1233685776skyjetjuba041.jpg
A man slaughters a white bull at the launch of the Skyjet

By Ayiga Ondoga
in Juba

SKYJET, a new airline company, has launched fights on the Entebbe - Juba route.

A return air ticket will cost $390 (about sh764,400) inclusive of taxes.

The service is expected to easy transport and promote business between Uganda and South Sudan.

A white bull was on Sunday slaughtered at Juba Airport to commemorate the inaugural flight witnessed by Garang Deng Aguer, the proprietor, and Musoke Tamale, the Kampala operations manager.

“We used to fly from Entebbe to Juba via Addis Ababa (Ethiopia), which is a long route. But this is now a shorter route,” Edward Yak, a social worker on board, stated. “We want Africa to develop like the outside world,” he added.

Maj. Gen. Elias Waya, who was also on the inaugural flight said: “The service is okay and it’s the first good service to South Sudan because previously, we used to book one week earlier to travel to Uganda.”

“It has not been an easy venture but we have a long-term development plan. Our programme is big. We are not here for quick money but to give service to the travelling public because we are an indigenous aircraft,” Tamale explained.

Deng said the new service would ease transport for the 12 million population of South Sudan.

Nightfire
4th Feb 2009, 09:56
Actually, looking at that picture... some wild men walking around on the apron, hacking an animal to death infront of their matatu-plane... what happened, did they forget also some kind of human sacrifice? Aren't they supposed to slaughter a virgin, or something? (Or maybe this is yet to come, when it will be 120 human sacrifices, all sitting inside).

Those guys should stick to riding bicycles or donkeys. All I can say is it's a primitive airline for the primitive operations of superstitious voodoo-tribes. :yuk:

“We want Africa to develop like the outside world,”

Wait and see for a few months, until they crash that thing somewhere between Entebbe and Juba. :mad:

Arca di noe
6th Feb 2009, 09:42
Ricardo, please send more info about ALOK Group, I don't find nothing
Tel, mail, address. Please regards marco

RICCARDOVOLANTE
17th Jun 2009, 06:56
Monitor Daily

Skyjet Airlines restructures management

Dorothy Nakaweesi
http://www.monitor.co.ug/artman/uploads/1/buspower2.jpg
Kampala

Skyjet Airlines has restructured its management, ending leadership struggles that saw the company halting flights on the lucrative Entebbe-Juba route, a month ago.
Established as a cargo airline in 2003, Skyjet Airlines started passenger services on February 1, 2009 with their Boeing 737-200, breaking the monopoly created by Eagle Air and Air Uganda.
buspower2.jpg
Passengers disembarking a Skyjet plane. FILE PHOTO

The restructuring exercise saw Captain Ahmed Shawgi, who has been a shareholder in this company relieved of his duties and phased-out of the company. Captain Shawgi had a 95 per cent stake in Skyjet and Mr Musoke 5 per cent.

The company is now owned by Southern Sudan’s billionaire Mr Geng Garang of Alok Group who is the majority shareholder with 95 per cent and Mr Hamad Musoke Tamale, a Ugandan Businessman with a 5 per cent stake. Initially Alok Group had a 70 per cent stake in the aircraft and the 30 per cent was owned by Mr Musoke and Captain Shawgi.

In an interview with Daily Monitor, Mr Musoke said; “We have successfully restructured the company and brought a new manager with a wealth of expertise and experience. We have relieved Captain Shawgi of his duties which were full of inefficiencies”.

According to Mr Musoke, Captain Shawgi lacked ethics. He was not honest in regard to how the accounts of the company.
Musoke further adds that, because of this, he (Captian Shawgi) committed unnecessary liabilities leading the company into over costs, which is a sign of poor management skills.

“Secondly, Captain Shawgi lied about his academic credentials; he told us that he was trained from Russia and a holder of a Russian License to handle Single Engine Air crafts. This means he was not a qualified pilot to handle a Boeing 737-200,” Musoke said.
Now, Captain John Manak, a veteran retired Commercial Pilot from Southern Sudan becomes the new Executive Director of the company.

Musoke said; “Captain Manak has been in the industry since 1969. He once worked for Forker 27-Airbuses and Saudi Airlines for several years where he was operating aircrafts in the range of Boeing 707 and 737-200”.

Other changes in the company saw, the switching of leadership, Mr Garang who bought out Captain Shawgi, becomes the chairman while Mr Musoke who has been the Chairman, becomes the Vice Chairman of the company.

Mr Musoke explains that he got to know Captain Shawgi from his Egyptian friend who once owned Air Memphis an airline company licensed to do business in Uganda. But later in 2006, Air Memphis was re-branded as Skyjet.

However Musoke is not sure of the exact time as to when they will resume their flights but assured the business community and their customers on this route that this is going to be very soon.

He said now that they have sorted out this mess, they will be flying airbus 737-200 which is currently parked at the Old-Airport in Entebbe, to Nairobi-Kenya for servicing and maintenance and thereafter resume services as soon as possible.

The Aircraft had reached regular loads of double-digit passenger figures plus generous quantities of loose cargo adding to the revenue. On a daily basis, they would get 80-90 on a return route.

The Boeing has a seating capacity of up to 100 passengers, first class and economy combined. A first class return ticket to Juba is $658 while a one-way is $404; for economy premium, a return ticket is $485 with $289 for a one way while economy class clients will part with $393 for a return ticket and $225 for one way.

The Juba route remains the most profitable for airlines like Air Uganda. Trade volumes from Uganda to Southern Sudan have increased since relative peace returned to one of Africa’s biggest countries.

The company is also in preparations to bring in their second aircraft a Boeing 737-300 with 164-seater, into the country.
Mr Garang in his remarks at the launching of their maiden flight said; “The airline is expected in the next few weeks to commence flights routes from Juba to Khartoum, before launching flights to Cairo later on”.

The aircraft received an Airlines Operator Certificate (AOC), from Civil Aviation Authority (CAA) the regulators.
Skyjet was given designated carrier status by the Ugandan Civil Aviation Authority to fly to Southern Sudan, Sudan, Egypt, Djibouti, Kenya and Tanzania among others.

In an interview with Daily Monitor CAA’s Public Relations Manager, Mr Ignie Igundura said; “We had information that the company had halted flights and we have been seeing the aircraft parked. But we have not received communication from the company as to when it will resume flights”.

Igundura said for an airline company to be granted flying rights, CAA looks at its shareholding, financial muscle, the state of the aircraft and the routes to be served.
The authority usually gives licenses ranging from one to five years depending on the nature and size of company.

RICCARDOVOLANTE
17th Jun 2009, 12:33
Skyjet Airlines has restructured its management in his own way.
Basically we are again at the beginning once more.
The never ending story comes with the news of today that one of the pilots is still waiting for his own salary after more than six months from SkyJet Uganda , now according from my internal sources the actual management is not even showing the willingness to pay the debts toward their own ex employ, that is sad because how they can build up an airline and even worse how they reconstruct the internal issue when the mayor problem such lack of solvency has not been solved?
An airplane need a pilot and a pilot need to be paid in order to work and most certainly no one will fly for free. So how they can get the route approval from the Uganda CAA if every months they have to find pilots to work for them?
No stability at all.
Beside the strangest idea of an B737 300 which surely is an EFIS equipped , but if SkyJet is unable to maintain the proper routine on B737 200 how they can think to do n the latest 300 version which require special technician for the flight instruments that are all computerize?
Those above other issue are to be consider from the CAA of Uganda before to approach for a new AOC.
R.V.

ugflyer
18th Jun 2009, 05:05
Oh boy, barely six months in and the problems arrive. I saw this coming from a thousand miles away. Anyone can look at my posts at the beginning of this thread and my views are aired well. And to think that they had a captain that had no 737 type. Men that takes the cake. What makes it even better is the fact that one of the owners blatantly talks about it in public.
And by the way Riccardo, the 737-300 originally came with conventional steam gauges. It wasn't till later on that that some airlines began to retrofit their 737-300's with EFIS. I doubt this sham of an airline will try to obtain an EFIS quipped 737. But then again, crazier things have happened! Just out of curiosity, where does skyjet send it's crew for recurrent training? If they ever do such a thing!

Nightfire
18th Jun 2009, 15:26
how they can think to do n the latest 300 version

Well, there are plenty of old derelict 737s parked in the desert somewhere. They can be obtained through various leasing companies. So no problem about that, if you come up with some money.
There are also many desperate pilots around who are ready to fly for food.
Apart from that you just need a mobile phone, a few friendly politicians, an offshore-bankaccount, and some cleverness.

This joke here is not an airline, it's a matatu-operation. I would't reccomend anybody to actually ride that thing. But even just the fact that such a project is actually permitted to operate, is just proof of (yet another) example of corruption and mafia-business.
Nobody who is right in their mind would otherwise grant them an AOC. :ugh:

Companies like that exist throughout all the third-world countries. Usually they start up by operating one or two old junky planes, transporting whatever brings money, being flown by mercenaries/cowboys, and always involved in some shady financial games.
Business goes on for a few years or less, making some local businessman rich.
They finally cease to operate again, once they either crash their flagship, run out of excuses for not paying fuel bills, or simply fail to adequately bribe the local politicians. :hmm:

RICCARDOVOLANTE
18th Jun 2009, 17:59
Well as far as I know no such thing like crew re currency exist in their mind.
The think that most worry me is the fact that they did not even know where to bring the airplane to do the routine check. how in the world the CAA of Uganda can issue an AOC, with all do respect for the CAA of Uganda, to such company that would not even provide the address of a services maintenance center for the B737.,
That is one of the many requirement for an AOC.
R.V.

Nightfire
18th Jun 2009, 19:55
How they got an AOC... really, you wonder?
I would say "just the normal way."

Hogger60
19th Jun 2009, 01:46
Anyone even contemplating working for this outfit, think again. They make promises that they don't keep and sign contracts that they have no intention of honoring. If you do decide to do this as you have nothing else remotely available, make sure you have enough money to get by when they ground the aircraft or don't decide to pay you, and enough to buy the ticket back home while they are ironing out money problems with the aircraft sitting on the ramp for months at a time.

As far as the 300 is concerned, I am sure they will be able to pick one up from the hundreds that sit in the desert in Arizona and California (United is parking over 90 as I write) for a song and put it into service.

And Ricardo, they probably won't do any maintenance on the EFIS system and I would not be surprised to see this outfit flying with standby instruments as a normal operation. If the AC gets caught in a situation where they need parts that are not being maintained, no big thing for the investors as it is the pilots caught in the dangerous situations.

And everyone always remember, an AOC can be obtained for any airline as long as the investors have enough contacts, influence, and money.

mtogw
7th Jul 2009, 09:00
Only just came on this thread,, very interesting, and my suspicions were aroused when I saw the name of Capt Ahmed, then rest of his name didn't match, but then looking at his picture on their website, i'm pretty certain it was a guy we came across in the UAE with another second name. Have a look at the picture on their website and memorise it, and then have nothing, zero to do with the guy.