PDA

View Full Version : Outlook email defaults

jimtherev
12th Nov 2008, 14:35
Does anyone know where the default setting for Outlook emails is hidden please?

Irritatingly, since my little bit of trouble last month, all the new emails I write are in violet and underlined.

People are beginning to talk! (I'm not that sort of girl, and, honestly, I don't like SHOUTING.) So, any ideas, please, folks?

Jim

Saab Dastard
12th Nov 2008, 15:51
Outlook Express - Tools, Options, Compose tab.

Outlook 2002 - Tools, Options, Mail Format tab, Stationery and Fonts.

SD

jimtherev
12th Nov 2008, 16:04
Thanks, SD, but...

Bin there, dun that (lots!)... there's obviously something going on that I don't understand. I even deleted Office (it's '03, by the way, but I don't think that's significantly different from '02) and reinstalled. But of course, I saved the docs and templates, and the problem was still there. No prob with anything else in the Office suite: use everything except Access, and good as gold.

I'll keep looking.
Jim

BOAC
12th Nov 2008, 16:26
'Format/'Styles and formatting' and deselect the 'poncey' typing:) (We DO believe you, honestly.......................)

Saab Dastard
12th Nov 2008, 16:35
Ah, if you are using Word as your Outlook message editor, then the settings for Outlook will be different - haven't got that set up so can't advise further.

SD

dazdaz
12th Nov 2008, 17:53
It really piss$$es me of why one is using outlook????????????

jimtherev
12th Nov 2008, 19:21
Well, BOAC, good hint. Thanks.

1. Trouble is my default is plain text, having found that some people (AOL customers I've discovered) can't see attachments if I attach to HTML docs. And Styles and Formatting is greyed out with plain text, innit?

2. Anyhoo, I changed to HTML to see if I could change formatting and make it stick with the next message (it didn't) and discovered that my idiotic violet underlined text - the default - is followed hyperlink formatting and, no, I don't know how that happened, either.

More head-scratching.

& Daz, Outlook 'cos it links to my iPAQ and my Nokia, so, wherever I am and whatever toy I have with me, I've still got diary, contacts etc., & always updated, too. I'm sure that other fancy packages *could* be persuaded to talk to 'em, but I'm in enough trouble as it is. Sorry to p. you off (well, I'm not really...)

Jim

Keef
12th Nov 2008, 20:22
I got round that a different way, Jim.

I use Outlook for diary (it does that quite well), and my address book is on it. That syncs to my batphone (and used to sync to the iPaq when I had one). The laptop has the same setup, and the batphone is the common updater device. In fact, 99% of all diary and adress updates go via the phone anyway.

But for e-mail I use Thunderbird. It's so much better (honest!).

jimtherev
12th Nov 2008, 22:20
<smiles sweetly and simultaneously grinds teeth>

I think I'll have to think it out again. But not until after Christmas - too much buzzing around 'till then!

Thanks everyone,
Jim