PDA

View Full Version : Ground school or Distance learning?

tigermagicjohn
12th Nov 2008, 10:59
Having completed my PPL 20 years ago, and let it expire for 15 years, I just finish all my PPL exams in less than 2 months, useing the OAT media, books and CD Rom, which in my opinion was easy to use and learn. And yes I did need to relearn most of the stuff again as my brain had been in temporary lockdown the last 10 years.
The self study route is something I have managed fine on both occasions, now and 20 years ago. On PPL exams had 100% on all subjects except Navigation, because I had not read those last chapters of the 5 extra questions after the Nav Plan, and I just wanted to get it over and done ASP so I could get my PPL back again.

Now starts the challenge for the ATPL studies, I have considerd 2 options, Bristol Groundschool distance learning or London Met. Having browsed trough some of the ATPL books they do look a bit daunting at first, and I do fear self study on some of the subjects, however maybe when gets going it is better.
I have also considerd London Met, as this is closest to where I live, but 9 to 5 structured study time could be bad for my business, as I also run an online business where I get income for living, studies etc., altough sure there could be a way around this if I have to.
How long would one expect to complete the ground studies at London Met? And how long at Bristol Ground School? Working from home makes me have much time for studies etc., does the instruction from classroom help the learning curve faster?
I am a bit insecure which is the best option to choose, having been told by my instructor if possible attending the classroom would be the best option if you can, but like many he could not, and I am not sure if I can either, as my business is very good and will give me the money to get hours, ratings all what I need, in that way it makes more sense to do the distance learning for me, however how good is the bristol GS?

Any thoughts or ideas would be much appreciated. Thanks.

helibob
12th Nov 2008, 15:33
As someone that has fairly recently done ATPL's who is not a good self-motivator I would recommend going to a school if possible. I tried distance learning for6 months getting virtually nowhere. My teachers at Cabair were pretty good and I got through the course with reasonable 1st time passes in all subjects, some being completely irrelevent to a helicopter pilot like me. I found it invaluable to have certain subjects thoroughly taught and i very much doubt that I could have passed the Nav papers without having an expert explain them to me. The course lasted 6 months with roughly 5 modules learnt at a time with 3 exam sittings. I would guess, however that if you are very motivated and able to self study, you will do equally well at home although knowing someone that could give you 1 to 1 tuition on topics that you find hard would be a great help. Databases are also helpful and are available but they are not a substitute for knowledge of a subject and there will always be new questions added to trip you up.

flightlevel1985
12th Nov 2008, 15:47
I finished a DL course with OAT earlier this year, and as the previous post points out, you will need a lot of self motivation and determination. I was working full time along side evening studying, and it took me 15 months to complete the course. On the other hand, it was fun and in the end it was worth it, I got first time passes in all 14. Suppose it depends on your circumstances, the time frame which you want to complete them in and also your ability to motivate yourself. Have fun :)

fadedfootpaths
12th Nov 2008, 16:22
Distance Learning if you are responsible and can give up your social life for 6 months, Ground School if you are the opposite.

Good Luck:ok:

tigermagicjohn
13th Nov 2008, 07:56
Social life? What social life?
When I started to dig in to retake all my PPL's around 2 months ago - and now flying again, don't see the prospect of any social life anyway the next 12 - 18 months. :}

Bit uncertain yet of the level difference from the Oxford PPL to ATPL at Bristol, as I understood the Oxford PPL books where beyond the PPL scope, (size of books was 3 times the ones of AFE) - Will spend not until christmas anyway refreshing my maths and physics skills, and than decide later.
However anyone who has taken the Bristol Distance learning, was it somebody who would assist if you had some problems with some stuff? I noticed during my PPL, sometimes it would help just to google the topic, to get a different perspective and different explaniation of the topic, which would be better than the original books, and this would help me immensly.

I don't think I can really afford to sit 9 to 5 in a classroom for 6 or more months, need to bite the bullet instead in front of books, computers and lonely hours at home drenched in ATPL stuff. :ugh:
Will be fun though:p

DaveD
13th Nov 2008, 08:25
You don't need to lose your social life, you just need to be able to structure your work. I'm currently working on my PPL and i plan on doing Distance learning with Bristol ground school, i've heard many good things about them, and since i work in the business at the moment, i've spoke to quite a few people who have done it distance learning.

Most of the people who i've spoken to have said they did about 6 hours a week, but it's obviously all in relation as to how well you take things in and work...

I've heard very good things about Bristol ground school though.

Leezyjet
13th Nov 2008, 16:11
I started of DL with Bristol, but after 18 months and only being 1/2 way through Mod 1, I gave up and went full time at London Met (this was in no way a reflection on Bristol GS, merely my own personal circumstances as explained below). It was the best decision I ever made. I'm now just about to finish the IR.

I had always wanted to do residential as I knew I was lazy when it came to self study but didn't think I could afford to take the time off work, until I had a chat with a pilot who said to take the hit on the loss of earnings, get them done then move on, the quicker I did, the quicker I'd be flying and the quicker I'd make back the money I'd lost through higher wages.

If only I'd made the decision earlier, I wouldn't now be qualifying in the worst economic downturn for years, and could have been flying heavy metal 18 months earlier. :ugh:

I was not disciplined enough to do self study, combined with working in Aviation and constantly being told by pilots it is all a load of rubbish you don't need to know, it was hard to pick up those books and try and take it all in.

At London Met, I was all done in 8 months with all 14 passed. They really guide you through what is really important to know, and what is just nice to know.

If your business is internet based, London Met have several computer labs you could possibly use during breaks depending on the nature of the business of course. You get 15 mins in the morning, 45mins -1hour for lunch and 15 mins in the afternoon and on 99% of days you are out by 4, some days it's even earlier and in the 1-2 weeks before exmas you don't need to go in at all if you don't want to, you can revise at home.

:)

paulyp
13th Nov 2008, 19:37
I am in a simular situation to yourself. Ive had a PPL since 1999, where i have slowly built up hours, ratings and experience, but finally bit the bullet and decided to follow my life long ambition and go comercial. I currently hold down a full time job, so distance learning was my only option. I looked at all the schools, but the choice came down to my personal circumstances and the need to complete over 3 modules rather than 2. Out of preference i would of chose Bristol GS due to their superior course material and online facilities, but have chosen London Met as they can deliver over the 3 modules/proximity to home. So far so good, as their course material is very comprehensive and support has been excellent.

good luck with your studies:ok:

tigermagicjohn
13th Nov 2008, 21:21
Paulyp, how far have you come yet in the GS?
I saw some previous threads that you also have been flying at Stapelford, I am getting my PPL back again now, hopefully within next few weeks, time and weather permitting. Just some minor brush ups, FRTOL and skills test left there now.

Was not able to PM you, but what are you ideas for building hours here in the UK or in another country?
Most likely I start on Bristol after new year, as you in same age group as me, interesting to see maybe can share some information on best way. So far everybody I have met have told me Bristol is the best, unless going to one actual school, of course time and work, is always against us.
When you expect to be finish? Have you finished first module yet?

Captain Smithy
14th Nov 2008, 10:50
Funnily enough, I have been thinking about this matter for the past couple of weeks, and have just started researching what I am going to do.

I'm now in the late stages of my PPL, hoping to go to the States next year to do some hour building and then commence study for my ATPL. The problem is that my full-time job has ruled out any full-time groundschool, and so the only option for me is distance learning. Have done a quick search on Proon and am gathering information so I can make the right decision but was just wanting to ask a couple of questions to clear things up:

1) Is it a requirement that during a distance-learning course there are classes at the school where attendance is mandatory? I was hoping that I would be able to do all studying myself at home in my own time, only having to travel for the exams. However, if this must be done then do be it. Bit of a pest due to getting time off work, but as needs must I suppose.

2) Are there any places in Scotland which provide ATPL distance-learning courses? From what I hear most people seem to go to Oxford, London, Bournemouth etc. but I haven't heard anything about ATPL studies "Up North" so to speak.

As always I'd appreciate any other advice/tips etc.

Cheers

Smithy