PDA

View Full Version : Vref & landing

Spam Up
12th Nov 2008, 10:53
Hello All

Whats is the correct speed for landing a jet ? It has been suggested to me that you should land at Vref !

Im new to a jet and my technique for landing has always been Vref over the threshold and then, it becomes a visual thing.
So in my new type (Hawker 800) I maintain Vref till over the threshold and then when I hear the 20ft call I slowly reduce the power - level off and catch the sink with a bit of nose up which gives a nose up attitude for landing, this way of course the speed bleeds off and on a couple of occasions a fraction of a sec before landing the stall warner has sounded (is this wrong ?), I thought this would be a good thing as it means you are landing at a slow speed and making the most of aerodynamic drag.

Look forward to your replys !!

Spam Up

Spam Up
12th Nov 2008, 11:15
When I say a fraction of a second, I really mean a fraction !

so tell me then , why is it okay in a C172 and not anything else, im still getting good landings with this technique ?

Spam Up

BOAC
12th Nov 2008, 11:45
Vref is supposed to be the min speed at ?50ft' on finals, and I have always been taught that this SHOULD be bled off towards touchdown, and touchdown SHOULD occur at a minimum of Vref-5 - although the shrieks and yells from the other seat stop me doing that!:) Indeed, for the B737, Boeing confirm the above.

slam_dunk
12th Nov 2008, 11:51
Correct (Boeing)technique :

Keep FAS : Vref + X ( for winds <= 10 knots : 5kts) until crossing the threshold, thereafter bleed off the speed during the flare.
For gusty winds the correction "X" to Vref would be 1/2 the steady wind + the gust with a maximum of 20 kts.

Why not VRef crossing the threshold ? to have some margin above the stallspeed.

Kelly Hopper
12th Nov 2008, 11:52
Ummm. The stall warning in a Hawker is the stick shake!!!
Can I respectfully advise that to land with the stick shaker going is NOT correct. :eek: You are tooooooo slooooow. :=

FE Hoppy
12th Nov 2008, 11:53
Vref is the speed at 50' over the threshold. Not the touchdown speed. remember it's at least 1.23 Vs. I wouldn't expect stall warning before touchdown though.

Spam Up
12th Nov 2008, 11:55
I thought there is a horn also ? whats the horn that sounds then :\?

Definetley no stick shaker going off !

Spam

Spam Up
12th Nov 2008, 12:11
Opened a good old can of worms here !

been thinking about it ! ( yes it hurt ) could it be the horn for the ventral tank because of a nose high attitude causing fuel to slosh around, but isnt that only at high speed or does it warn you also when the gear is down???

My brain hurts now !

Spam

Kelly Hopper
12th Nov 2008, 12:23
The horn in a Hawker is really multi-purpose. Much like an attention getter.

From the training manual:

STALL WARNING AND IDENTIFICATION SYSTEM

General

A stall warning and identification system is provided to emphasize the aircraft's natural cues available at the point of stall. The system functions are:

Stick shaker (warning)

Stick pusher (identification)

The system comprises ywo sensing channels, each using an airflow angle sensor vane, a signal summing unit (SSU), and a third sensing channel which uses two underwing pressure-sensing vents and a stall identification sensor.

Warning and identification is provided by two stick shaker motors, and hydraulically operated actuator with two integral electrohydraulic valves respectively, and associated logic, announciators and test switches.

SYSTEM LOGIC

1. It is impossible for a stick push to occur before a stall warning (stick shake)

2. No single active fault of an SSU or relay can cause the operation of a stall valve or the associated red STALL VALVE annunciator.

3. The autopilt is disengaged when a stall warning signal is initiated. This prevents the autopilot from attempting to counteract the resulting stick shake operation or subsequent stick push.

STALL WARNING SYSTEM

The stall warning system uses an electrically driven stick shaker on each control column to provide a physical warning of an approaching stall to the pilots.

There is more but I'm knackered now!

Kelly Hopper
12th Nov 2008, 12:52
If you are not getting the shaker you are not on the stall warning.
Fuel in the ventral tank may be the reason if you are getting the horn!!!!:ok:

safetypee
12th Nov 2008, 12:52
Spam Up. IIRC not all versions of ‘HS 125’ (if any) use the standard margins for calculating approach speed; thus you should follow what is written in the ‘particular’ aircraft’s manuals.

Normally the reference approach speed (Vref) is 1.3 stall speed (Vs), and most aircraft are certificated for a landing at or about 93% of Vref, often rounded to a training recommending to touchdown at Vref-7kts. However, as the 125 originated under UK BCARs many years ago, it claimed grandfather rights to maintain the benefits of reduced landing distance from a better (slower?) approach speed. A different FAA certification was used for the original ‘Hawker’ aircraft, circ 125-400, thus giving another set of figures; notably (to the angst of the Hatfield designers) a ‘lower’ FAR part 23 cert standard.
Later UK build and certified 125s may have compromised slightly in either using revised UK requirements, or moving toward the JAR 25 standard, but, not as I recall, ever having a JAR certification.
Most certifications normally account for an abuse approach and landing from Vref-5 at the threshold with a correspondingly lower touchdown speed – tail strike limit.

In addition to the old regulations being applied to later variants of the 125 (at least the 800?), there may have been other differences between the ‘A’ (USA and FAA cert) and the ‘B’ (rest of the world, UK cert) markets (N.B. there were some FAA certs in ‘the rest of the world’ so check the manuals and who owned the aircraft originally/previously). The AFM should reflect these differences, which might also include Vmo / Mmo.
There may be a reference in the aircraft documentation to the certification standard, i.e. UK BCARs (old), UK – becoming JAR, or FAA. When the basis of certification has been established, you can then check the speed margins for approach and landing from the appropriate regulations;- of course follow the advice in your ‘particular’ aircraft manual might be quicker.

The 125 also has a particular characteristic when landing with full flap, in that the ground effect can feel like sitting on a bubble of air, which cushions the landing. This depends on landing at the ‘correct’ speed and ‘holding off’ at relatively low height (1-2 ft?); if the aircraft is too high or held off too long with speed falling, the bubble can burst resulting in a ‘stiff’ landing. The trick is to ‘burst the bubble’ at touchdown.

slam_dunk
12th Nov 2008, 16:15
That's exactly as i posted !
things haven't changed as much since '65 :)

EXCEPT that we set our bug speed at FAS = Vref + correction ! ( min 5 max 20 kts)

FE Hoppy
12th Nov 2008, 16:23
Embaer do a nice little pamphlet called understanding Vref and Approach speeds. I don't have it with me but will print extracts from work tomorrow. Not withstanding the Approach speed additions which for the E-jets are half the head plus all the gust min 5 max 20 this speed is expected to be lead off so you cross the threshold at Vref and touchdown below Vref.

Important to know that Vref is used to ensure landing climb and approach climb gradients so could be considerably higher than 1.3 or 1.23 Vsr.

PantLoad
12th Nov 2008, 20:19
Target speed is usually 1/2 the steady state wind plus all the gust factor (if any). This speed is to be held until crossing the threshold (actually
50 feet). Total additives not to exceed 20 kts...

Example: Vref is 120
Landing Runway 10
Reported surface winds: 060/12G22

So, take half of the 12, which equals 6....and all of the gust factor, which is 10 (22-12)

Vapp = 120 + 6 + 10 = 136

Note: This is a TARGET SPEED....it's not a minimum speed or maximum speed...it's what you try to hold...plus or minus...based on the turbulence and wind speed kicking around.

Speed to reduce to as you're crossing the fence:
120 + 10 = 130

(10 is the gust factor...which you are to hold crossing the threshold, going into the flare)

The idea is to touchdown at a speed not below Vref...or thereabouts....so, you have to be prepared for a loss of the gust factor as you go into the flare...thus, you hold the extra speed (in this case the gust factor of 10 kts). In theory, you could lose 10 kts of wind...lose 10 kts of speed...at the worst moment (in the flare)...that's why you keep the gust factor as you cross the threshold.

In the Airbus, we normally use 'Managed Speed' .....so, these calculations are made for you...a different algorithm.

Fly safe,

PantLoad

Tee Emm
13th Nov 2008, 00:02
Correct (Boeing)technique :

Keep FAS : Vref + X ( for winds <= 10 knots : 5kts) until crossing the threshold, thereafter bleed off the speed during the flare

Boeing have always avoided recommending the point on final approach at which you deliberately commence to reduce airspeed when the only additive is Vref plus half the steady headwind component.

Example runway 27 and wind 270/30 knots. Half the HW comp is 15 knots therefore approach speed Vref plus 15 knots. Under steady wind conditions the average landing will bleed no more than 3-5 knots off in the flare providing you do not float. . That leaves at least 10 knots excess speed. The free flow airstream (wind gradient) commences around 2000 ft above ground level. Below that, ground friction slows the wind. This suggests in a perfect world you should commence the bleed off of the half the steady HW component at 2000 ft. It is this failure to understand the dynamics of bleeding off the half the steady HW component, that has been a factor in some fast landings and subsequent over-runs particularly on a wet or slippery performance limited runway. Everyone becomes an expert when this point is discussed.

CONF iture
13th Nov 2008, 00:33
Example: Vref is 120
Landing Runway 10
Reported surface winds: 060/12G22
For Airbus VAPP would be only 125 as the correction is limited to the higher of
- 5Kt
- 1/3 HEADWIND (excluding gust) max 15Kt

By George
13th Nov 2008, 00:49
The 727 didn't like Vref+5 always felt better +10. Other Boeings +5 and the gust loading to a max of +20 is fine. I have never been back to Vref in a jet.

framer
13th Nov 2008, 03:06
so tell me then , why is it okay in a C172 and not anything else, im still getting good landings with this technique ?

I have never flown the Hawker so I don't know if tailstrike is ever an issue.
Maybe someone with lots of jet experience can give their opinion on whether or not Spam is setting himself up for a tailstrike if things start getting a bit gusty. If it is not an issue in the Hawker it may be in other types that you fly Spam....down the track a bit I mean.

john_tullamarine
13th Nov 2008, 04:27
Some observations

(a) The 727 didn't like Vref+5 always felt better +10

If my recollection is correct, the -100 was certificated on the basis of stall speed, while the -200 used minimum steady flight speed, leading to the common practice of carrying a bit extra on the later aircraft. I suspect that most (many ?) of us preferred the -100 for landing ease.

(b) the steady wind/gust (Boeing) rules of thumb reflect the reasonably predictable nature of a steady wind (intentional speed bleed into the flare) and the randomness of gusts (maintain the gust additive). This was discussed at length in an old thread (http://www.pprune.org/tech-log/10456-737-wind-increment-vref.html). The slightly different tack adopted by Airbus indicates that the subject is a bit rubbery and that the goal can be achieved by multiple, similar techniques.

(c) the certification landing animal is a flight test black art resulting in a substantial operational fudge factor (100/60 or 1.67) for the final AFM data. Those who have been involved with performance takeoff and landing trials will understand what I mean. Rather than agonise over whether a particular aircraft was certificated to this or that, on the line I prefer to consider the underlying intent of the exercise - which is to stop comfortably on the runway .. and I hold that the AFM is the pilot's friend ..

(i) follow the AFM guidance, fly a stable approach, and you are half way to the hotel

(ii) beware of slow speed approaches unless you have lots of instantaneous thrust to counteract gust problems

(iii) beware of low approach path landings lest the undershoot area beckon you

(iii) beware of high speed or high approach path landings lest the overrun area beckon you

(iii) if the aircraft is somewhere near (say, ± 10 kt) the AFM recommendation at screen/touchdown, and touchdown is in the nominal touchdown region (typically around 1500 - 2000 ft into the runway) then there is a high probability of a successful outcome. Conversely, if not, then perhaps one ought already to be on the missed approach or doing something else appropriate and urgent to address the matter.

FE Hoppy
13th Nov 2008, 08:02
SECTION V − CONCLUSIONS
From the certification point of view, landing performance data
presented in AFM/AOM is generated considering that the airplane will
be at VREF once it has reached the threshold and is at a height of 50 ft
above the ground.
From a practical point of view, every pilot knows that almost every
approach is better if the airplane maintains a speed higher than VREF
on final approach in order to assure a speed margin above stall should
turbulent air or variable wind conditions be encountered along the
flight path.
Due to these reasons (or at the Captain’s discretion for safety
reasons), sometimes it is not possible to cross the threshold exactly at
VREF. It must be clear that VAPP must be the upper limit in this case. In
this scenario, the pilot must always keep in mind that the performance
achieved cannot be determined exactly but may be close or better
than the calm wind performance data.
Crossing the threshold with VREF at 50 ft height will always
produce, at least, the predicted performance in the AFM and this is
the actual policy suggested by Embraer.

Spam Up
13th Nov 2008, 08:44
Thank you all for your comments so far !

Framer : it has been established that the horn im hearing is nothing to do with the stall warning system, maybe more to do with the Horn that warns if there is a small amount of fuel sloshing around in the ventral tank ! but you are 100% right, i want to get the correct technique now so that I wont have to re-learn in the future.

On my flights so far there have been no crosswinds, but the book says to add half the gust !

Someone actually took the time to explain the technique to me over the phone yesterday, so thanks to them :ok:

Spam Up

Tmbstory
13th Nov 2008, 09:08
Spam Up:

Fly Vref + Additives (Vap), then bleed off a little during the flare (do not stall).

The early HS 125 business jets had an excellent lift dump system for after landing. It was like landing on a treacle covered runway.

Tmb

framer
13th Nov 2008, 09:20
Good stuff Spam, I just mentioned the tail strike thing because when I first went onto the 737 the landing attitude looked very flat to me after turbo props and took a few hundred hours before it seemed normal. Are you flying with Captains that can show you what the picture looks like?
Like I said before I have no idea about the Hawker, does it seem like a flatter attitude than your last a/c?

Spam Up
13th Nov 2008, 10:24
I was on a Kingair before and dont really feel the attitude looks much different, good point about the lift dump sytems, it is very effective !

Spam

Cecco
13th Nov 2008, 11:03
I'm a FO on a cj1+ and the commander I fly with (used to fly A320/330) expects me to be at Vref+10 over the numbers (in calm conditions, otherwise the wind corrections as mentioned in some previous posts apply) and to touch down on the runway surface with Vref (never below!). Another commander, however, who has always flown small business jets, applies the power-idle at 50ft AGL technique and then flares the a/c much like a C172, I watched the airspeed sometimes going down to Vmca before the wheels touched the ground. I reckon the former landing technique gives you a greater safety margin.

FE Hoppy
13th Nov 2008, 16:03
To all who carry extra speed over the fence just be sure you have the extra landing distance required.

safetypee
13th Nov 2008, 17:44
FE Hoppy – “just be sure you have the extra landing distance required”
Absolutely correct! The extra 10 kts that pilots add without thought is equivalent to 300-500ft added to the actual landing distance ( AC 91-71 Runway Overrun Prevention (www.airweb.faa.gov/Regulatory_and_Guidance_Library/rgAdvisoryCircular.nsf/0/0052F2A2A00D91B28625738E0071E44C?OpenDocument&Highlight=ac%2091-79)), and that’s without considering any effect on extending the flare.
Many pilots think that they can adjust their landing technique in adverse landing conditions, thus minimizing any additional distance; however as indicated above there is only one optimum landing technique, and the associated skills are best improved by constant practice. Furthermore when the approach and landing conditions are poor, and the manufacturers recommendation for speed addition is followed, then we need to exercise the mental skill of adding the speed-additive-distance to the landing distance required just to maintain the same level of safety as for a ‘calm’ day, ‘dry’ runway landing; if not, this could be judged as poor risk management in the event of an overrun.

Spam Up, you may be seeking a real smooth touchdown in the 125-800; IMHO this is difficult to achieve as the gear / structure is relatively ‘stiff’ occasionally causing the aircraft to shake and the touchdown feel hard. Also, small roll errors give some ‘judder’ from a single wheel touchdown. The 125 is relatively demanding when seeking excellence, but the low flight deck, small aircraft, ‘heavy’ control feel provide a good basis for improving landing skills which can be transferred to larger aircraft in the future .

framer
14th Nov 2008, 02:34
the commander I fly with (used to fly A320/330) expects me to be at Vref+10 over the numbers
Is that what the book says? I'm not being smart, serious question.
My understanding is that Vref is a 50ft speed, not a touchdown speed. I would get the QRH out and determine how much extra distance is used by carrying the extra speed. I reckon you'll be developing a mental picture of what the flare attitude looks like that isn't quite right if you are carrying extra speed and also one day you might operate into a strip where it really counts.
Just an opinion though. Good thread I reckon.

G-SPOTs Lost
14th Nov 2008, 08:23
The answers are all in this thread just not in one post, applying boeing airbus landing techniques to a Hawker 800 maybe isn't quite as relevant as people think much more iniertia, different spool down rates for the engines.

My 2p'sworth is to read the AFM, in their is a definiive guide to how the test pilots derived at the raw figures, more than likely it will say that the TR's were not involved, it will probably say that the thrust levers were closed at 50ft at VREF over the runway. Test pilots when certifying aircraft are fairly brutal with them, not for the reasons of trying to achieve better figures but to ensure that they have consistency in their data, no point chuck landing one way and john another.

Regardsless of what advise you are given here just arrive at 50ft on speed and then do what the AFM says! should you wish to be less brutal than the test pilots youwill use more runway, this is what factoring is about cos we dont want to hit the runway at 180fpm or whatever the hard landing criteria says it is.

If you add speed then more runway will be used, consider the 90 degree gusting x-wind scenario if you are arriving with an extra 10-15 knots and its Part 91/private and its a tight runway then problems may ensue!

Stanley Eevil
14th Nov 2008, 08:34
When scheduling LDR, most performance manuals assume a 15kt overspeed with regards to VAT/Vref anyway?

safetypee
14th Nov 2008, 12:30
Stanley Eevil, - “…performance manuals assume a 15kt overspeed…”
I believe that you are perpetuating a widely held misbelief; see:- Landing performance of large transport aeroplanes. (www.nats-uk.ead-it.com/aip/current/aic/pink/EG_Circ_2006_P_014_en.pdf)
Modern certifications/operations use a factored landing distance:-
“…in order to provide an operationally realistic value of performance, this gross distance is multiplied by a field length factor to obtain the Landing Distance Required.
This factor accounts for the normal operational variability that can be expected in day to day service such that the chances of a landing overrun are remote”.

The AIC does discuss an (old) alternative method of determining landing performance from a ‘fast landing’, Vref+15 (and from a low screen ht, 30ft), but this ‘error value’ was an alternative means of contributing to a safety factor catering for operational variability. The speed error, or field length factor, are not margins to be employed routinely without thought about the change in safety / risk.

framer
15th Nov 2008, 00:08
When scheduling LDR, most performance manuals assume a 15kt overspeed with regards to VAT/Vref anyway?

Even if that were so, carrying extra speed just erodes any buffer built in. If you land a bit deeper than planned (say 1800ft in) plus you are a couple knots over your planned speed which has already got ten knots added to it, plus it's wet...it all starts to add up I reckon.
I am going flying tomorrow and when I am PM I will take note of the exact touchdown IAS on a couple sectors and work out what % of VS it is. I'm picking it will be about 1.2VS, maybe but probably not 1.3 .
Cheers,

AirRabbit
15th Nov 2008, 00:28
I know just how much everyone on this forum likes to have someone come along and “tell them” how it’s to be done. So, for those of you here who are older than ½ of my age – stop reading and go on down to the next post. OK, maybe you don’t know my age, but I was around when dirt was invented – that should give you an approximation. But, for you folks who are less than ½ of my age, listen up – this may be important to you, and, after a little practice, you just may be able to teach those guys who have now stopped reading how to really land an airplane. This procedure is applicable to every airplane from a C-152 to a B-747 (I haven’t flown a B-52 or the A-380, but I’ll bet it works there, too) – it also works in calm conditions, head winds, tail winds, cross winds, CAVU conditions, snow, ice, rain, simple IMC conditions, and even FLIR-aided IMC conditions.

As almost all of the folks above have indicated – the last portion of the final approach should be flown in the configuration in which you plan to land, and flown at a constant speed of 1.3 Vs (computed in that configuration), plus ½ of the steady state wind (not to exceed an additive of 20 knots) plus all of the gust factor. I personally believe that this steady-state condition should be established at 1000 feet AGL, but I know that some operations allow this altitude to be lower – but in the passenger revenue world I’m not aware of any that are below 500 feet AGL.

You should cross the runway threshold at what ever is the minimum threshold crossing height – for most transport category airplanes this should be about 50 feet. And at that point you should have been able to bleed off the airspeed additives you’ve been holding for steady-state wind (only the steady-state wind additives) – you’ll still have the 1.3 Vs plus all the gust factor. This will require you to continue to fly the airplane to the runway. Some operators recommend that you begin to reduce power at this point – if that is the procedure you’ve been taught, fine – but keep the airspeed constant until you begin the flare (that may mean pushing the nose over a bit – hopefully it will only require nose down pressure and not nose down movement. The point to which you should be flying at this point (the “aim” point – that point that doesn’t move up or down in the windscreen) is a point on the runway surface about 2/3 of the way between the threshold and the fixed distance markers (for the C-150 guys, this aim point should be the numbers themselves and for the B-747 guys, the aim point should be the fixed distance markers or just beyond).

OK, now for the flare. The question that always comes up is, “what attitude do I flare to?” When you start to flare is critical. You will want to reach your flare attitude with the main wheels something between 1 and 5 feet from the runway surface (1 foot or so for the C-152 guys and 5 feet for the B-747 guys … yes, I know how difficult it is to imagine the mains at 5 feet above the runway from the B-747 cockpit – but remember, you’re good at your job! – Make it 5 feet!) The change in the attitude from when you initiate the flare to reaching the flare attitude should take 3 seconds and you should wind up with the main wheels “just off the runway surface. The speed you should have when you reach the flare attitude should be just below what you carried from the threshold to this point – between 5 and 15 knots – the smaller number for the smaller airplanes and the larger number for the larger airplanes. The attitude should be just exactly what it would take to maintain level flight from this point all the way down the runway. What I’d have you practice would be, “do not climb, do not descend, do not accelerate, do not decelerate; we’ll go around at the end of the runway.” I’d also have you mentally locate the position on the belly of the airplane exactly between the main gear (the body gear for you B-747 guys) and I’d tell you to fly down the runway (no climb, no descent, no faster, no slower) with that point on the belly of the airplane exactly over the runway centerline – and to do that with whatever crab angle you need to do it. Of course you’d have to add a bit of power – since you had the throttles back but this is OK for practice.

I’d have you do this exercise as many times as was necessary to get you comfortable with when to initiate the flare, how quickly to flare, and to what attitude you need to stop the flare with the main gear just off the runway surface. The key here, getting you to recognize when to start the flare and how quickly to flare, is to get you to recognize what attitude to reach at the end of the flare – THAT attitude is the LEVEL FLIGHT ATTITUDE.

Once you’ve got it, as you begin the flare you begin the throttle reduction. The idea is to get the throttles to the idle position as the mains touch the runway. As you pull the throttles back, you will notice the nose getting heavier – don’t let it move down. Increase the back pressure on the elevator controls – not to move the nose up – rather to just keep it from moving down. Over that 3 seconds, the airspeed to continues to decelerate, while the airplane continues to descend, going from just above the runway to ON the runway. Level Flight Attitude is the attitude from which you want to land the airplane. Your touchdown should be firm but not hard, the kinetic energy of the airplane should be moving in the right direction, the nose should be able to be flown to the runway rather quickly as it is not unnecessarily high to arrest a high sink rate. You should be over the center of the runway, with the controls already properly positioned for the landing run.

If you had been carrying a crab angle to counter a crosswind, the crab should be removed in exactly the same time as the flare takes – 3 seconds. The pressure applied to the rudder pedal to pressure the nose around to line up with the centerline of the runway should start with the back pressure on the control column to flare. As you probably know, this may take some into-the-wind aileron to counter the tendency of the forward sweeping wing to rise … but, unless the wind is quite strong, you won’t be in the air long enough to have the wind blow you downwind off the centerline. Of course, if the wind IS quite strong, you may have to add a bit more aileron to slightly (very slightly) dip the wing tip in the up-wind direction.

I offer just one caveat. If you discuss this with your chief pilot or fleet captain and they absolutely forbid you to fly and land this way – pay attention to your company and forget what I’ve said. This is not an attempt to thwart the way your company procedures require you to operate. If this is different from the way you normally approach and land, I do not recommend that you do it without everyone in the cockpit knowing what you are going to do, no matter what position you are flying – if you can swing it, I’d recommend practicing it in the simulator with someone who knows what they are doing. I think you’ll be surprised at how easy this becomes, and how consistent your landings will become as well – night, day, rain, snow, clear, no matter. Consistent landings are good things to cultivate. Also, if you try this and just simply think it is the epitome of wrong-headedness, let me know and I’ll buy you a beer. However, if you think it is the correct way to land, let me know and I’ll buy you two!

framer
15th Nov 2008, 00:47
The highest degree of confidence in successfully achieving the scheduled landing distances is obtained by crossing the threshold
at the correct height and at the target threshold speed, touching down firmly after a normal flare and applying maximum retardation
without delay.

That is the conclusion from the link that safety pee posted above. Thanks for doing that.

Can I ask someone to confirm for me that the 'Target Threshold Speed' mentioned in the above post is indeed Vref+5 on a nice day, and not Vref.
In my company we arrive at 50ft at Vref+5 on a nice day . Cheers again

SIDSTAR
15th Nov 2008, 02:05
AirRabbit,

Excellent description of how to teach someone how to correctly "flare" (check?) for landing - the best I've ever read - thanks!

Re the initial issue, just to add to the confusion - Airbus and Boeing ahve different meanings for Vref. In "AB-speak" there's only one Vref = Vls Config (Flaps/Slats) FULL. Due to the low-speed protections of the fly-by-wire system this is lower than the traditional Vref at 1.23 Vs instead of 1.3 Vs (in that configuration). In practice it means little (as Vls is not Vs) but AB has cunningly hidden it away in one little line in the QRH
p 2.32.

Essentially, no matter which type you fly, there will some additive to your basic approach speed to cater for the wind - usually up to a max of 20 kts so as not to infringe the landing distance calculation. In all cases, most if not all of this should be bled off after you cross the threshold and it is perfectly acceptable - even desirable - to touch down at a speed below Vref/Vls.

What's most important of all is to touch down in the TDZ and get the nosewheel on the ground without delay to maximise the retardation effort. Many more aircraft have gone off the far end of runways than have landed short (although it's usually more severe to hit the fence on the way in!). Safe landings (i.e. in TDZ) are what is required in any a/c especially a transport category one - not smooth ones. If you can achieve both, congratulations but never hold it off for a greaser.

Happy (safe) landings. You're only as good as the last one.

BOAC
15th Nov 2008, 08:27
framer - my understandng of 'threshold' is start of runway, which should be crossed at around 50', so in my book, Vref+5 at 50' is the target, as you are doing.

G-SPOTs Lost
16th Nov 2008, 05:10
Vref+5 at 50' is the target, as you are doing.

Nice day your too fast consider the last 50 feet

Typical Hawker Vref 115KIAS V squared = 13225
+ 5 knots for the wife/kids = 14400

Difference is 1175 as a percentage of 13225 =9%

9% more lift energy to go somewhere, where is it eventually going to go? Brakes?? Runway ??

Might work on your boeing though

Tee Emm
16th Nov 2008, 05:55
constant speed of 1.3 Vs (computed in that configuration), plus ½ of the steady state wind

I presume you mean half of the steady state headwind component. That is straight from Boeing.

BOAC
16th Nov 2008, 07:36
9% more lift energy to go somewhere, where is it eventually going to go? Brakes?? Runway ?? - I know nothing of the way your a/c landing performance is calculated, but NORMALLY limiting landing weights are predicated on a given touchdown speed. This should be determined in the manufacturer's publications and this is what you should fly. If the 'Hawker' manuals tell you to fly at or below Vref at 50' then that is what you should do, on the basis that the runway has been calculated to be long enough. If you choose to fly slower than the recommended speeds that is up to you, of course, but I would have expected someone to complain. I have not experienced an a/c in my time where I am expected to fly the approach below Vref.

G-SPOTs Lost
16th Nov 2008, 10:19
Sorry - crossed purposes somewhere. I was advocating Vref at 50ft because that is how the book says the aircraft should be flown and how the figures are derived. What Boeing, Airbus et all reccomend before you get to 50ft is whatever the company or manufacturer consider to be safe.

My point was that on a limiting runway 50ft at Vref is whats required to make book, up until that point then Vref +** is determined by whatever portion of h/w/ or gusts or other weather math you/your company choose to deploy

Framer is instructed to be at the Threshold at 50ft at Vref +5 hence my amateurish maths.

Sorry for mixup

AirRabbit
16th Nov 2008, 23:35
I presume you mean half of the steady state headwind component. That is straight from Boeing.
Yes … that’s what I meant … sorry if that was confusing.

Cecco
17th Nov 2008, 06:50
(the “aim” point – that point that doesn’t move up or down in the windscreen) is a point on the runway surface about 2/3 of the way between the threshold and the fixed distance markers

Not sure what you mean by "fixed distance markers". Do you mean the aiming point markings painted on (catII/III) runways?

BelArgUSA
17th Nov 2008, 07:50
Boeing says Vref is equal to 1.3 Vs (for the landing flaps configuration).
Those of you adepts of D.P.Davies "Handling the big jets" will also recall his Vat definition, as "speed at threshold"...
At PanAm, we called that speed "Vth" or "vee-thresh".
Vref+5 seems to be the norm of the industry, as the target speed for landing.
Plus winds additives, as described above, not to exceed 20 knots.
And J.T. mentioned carrying Vref+10 for the 727-200. I did that too.
xxx
:ok:
Happy contrails

BOAC
17th Nov 2008, 08:07
Framer is instructed to be at the Threshold at 50ft at Vref +5 - and that, in my book, is correct. If the approach is correctly flown, it matters not too much what speed the a/c is flying BEFORE touchdown as it is only the energy AT touchdown that affects landing roll, and therefore that should be correct, I.E. reducing to Vref in the flare and Vref-5 (or as directed) at touchdown.

That will go 99.9% of the way to guaranteeing a safe stop, although as someone else has pointed out, your 'limiting' runway generally allows a 15kt overspeed on those figures. NB NOT a 15kt 'target', just a buffer!

safetypee
17th Nov 2008, 18:12
framer, et el “… to confirm that the 'Target Threshold Speed' is indeed Vref+5 on a nice day, and not Vref.” (#37)

In my experience (several operators and manufacturers), ‘Target Threshold Speed’ (TTS) can be used in different ways. Generally, TTS is Vref+5, but this could be a corruption / extension of the ‘calm conditions approach speed’, another ‘target’ speed. Note that the UK AIC (#34) avoids confusion (contention), by using 'basic reference approach speed' (Vref).

The safety view (certification - ignoring add-ons), requires the aircraft to cross the threshold at Vref.
Where manufacturers recommend an approach at Vref+5, then they may have assumed that either the 5kts is bleed off before the threshold, or lost during the landing flare, i.e. a particular technique, not applicable to all aircraft. It might be difficult for a manufacturer to argue otherwise if the aircraft is to retain its certificated landing distances.
If manufacturers do not make these assumptions or have some other justification, then more often than not, the crew’s responsibility for a safe landing is increased by having to consider their ‘calm air’ 5 kt addition in their landing assessment – user beware.

In practical terms for the majority of everyday operations this is not a problem (excess runway length), but occasionally in limiting conditions this small loss of ‘distance’ might be overlooked, which increases the risk of an overrun. (General assumption that +5kts is worth 250ft, but with an extended flare this could be 1250ft; ref AC91-71).
Some regulators/operators accept the status quo without further consideration; the extra 5kts is part of the ‘normal variability in operations’. However, operators should define the non-normal conditions by specifying an acceptable approach and touchdown (i.e. stabilised approach, touchdown position, use of brakes, etc), which IMHO also requires pilots to understand the factors effecting the risks as the conditions change.

BOAC, associating the ‘buffer’ (actually a safety factor in the certificated landing distance) with threshold speed can be misleading. The ‘buffer’ can be associated with any of the ‘normal’ variations in operation, but not all at the same time! A limiting landing cannot tolerate multiple errors, i.e. speed error, height error, touchdown position, spoiler/brake/reverse operation, and runway condition, the latter being one of the great unknowns in aviation.

BelArgUSA “Vref+5 seems to be the norm of the industry, as the target speed for landing. Plus winds additives, as described above, ....”
The UK AIC stresses that any wind addition is added to Vref, not the industry norm (Vref+5).

The short summary is we should follow the advice in the manuals, but use all available information in our landing considerations.

AirRabbit
17th Nov 2008, 23:49
Not sure what you mean by "fixed distance markers". Do you mean the aiming point markings painted on (catII/III) runways?

:uhoh:Yes, sorry. Very old habits die very hard (apparently) ... and my excuse is that I’ve been told I was around when dirt was invented.

I am, indeed, referring to the aiming point markings, which used to be called “fixed distance markers” (somewhere, long ago) and are normally painted approximately 1000 feet from the threshold on instrument marked runways.

BelArgUSA
18th Nov 2008, 20:51
While we are all busy going through the alphabet, with FMS, SOP and CRM...
Any other letters of the alphabet...? How about time to think landing performance.
We all know from initial training that our airplanes are supposed to be landed at Vref.
We know that we land at a Vref that is 1.3 x Vs... and the 20 knots additive.
And we studied that our planes landing performance is based on 60% of the runway bla bla bla...
xxx
Reading our friend IGh here above, he reminds us of the spooling of engines.
Good point.
In many types of airplanes I flew, we had two flaps settings.
The 727 could be landed with 30 or 40 flaps, the 707 did 40 or 50 flaps.
And my old 747 can land with 25 or 30 flaps.
xxx
Not much difference in stall speed between the two... some 5 knots.
The big difference is drag, not lift. The difference is power on the engine.
With extra drag, we keep our engines to higher power. Great for spool up.
Sure it burns fuel, sure it makes noise, but maybe is extra safety, no...?
xxx
I recall the UAL Salt Lake City 727-122 accident, mid-1960s...
Captain approached fast, then went to full idle to reduce speed.
Then when he realized he would not reach the runway he added power.
Too late. The engines did not have time to spool up. He was a former DC6 captain.
In a prop airplane, you want power now, you get it. Not in a jet.
xxx
Then there are the gentlemen here who are shy of "extras" over Vref...
Vref+20 is all Boeing says to add for wind components factor. Fine, no objections.
A little hypothetical landing performance exercise here...
Just for classroom and play with your brains.
xxx
Suppose you land a 747-200 on a long 11,000 feet runway (as usual).
Average passenger weight - say 230 tonnes - your Vref is 134 KIAS.
If landing in a stiff wind, your Vref could be 134+20 = 154 KIAS. Still ok.
So, you good CRM and SOP boys would no squeal a word.
Do you really know landing performance, let us see.
xxx
Suppose same conditions, but the wind is a "very stiff" 60 knots.
Why would I possibly carry Vref+30 then... too fast...?
No, gentlemen. I looked at my landing tables.
I see I could land a heavy 747 at 285 tonnes on this runway (I am only at 230 tonnes)
The Vref then would be 155 KIAS... and I would add 20 knots = 175 KIAS.
xxx
Bottom line is this. Nothing wrong about landing at say Vref+30 (or 40).
That would be Vref+30 = 134+30 = 164 KIAS (I could do as much as... 175)
I consider this... Hopefully dry runway, and still being stopped on 60% of the runway.
Maybe even 70%, as I am not that good, I tend to flare for smooth landing.
Go ahead with your objections - I am retiring and know what I say and do.
xxx
Maybe if the L-1011 (Delta 191) in Dallas would have done so, they might still be here.
And approve.
Extra speed is like extra money in the bank, within reason, and knowing performance.
:}
Happy contrails

PEI_3721
19th Nov 2008, 00:22
Poor spool-up response is generally overrated as a safety issue; the often quoted 6-7 sec is probably the 8 sec certification requirement to achieve ‘landing-climb’ thrust (usually TOGA) from a low power setting (CS 25.119).
Adequate thrust response is available during the approach and landing. Most approaches can be controlled with changes of only 2-4% N1, and this should be sufficient to prevent a sinker during the flare.
One of the tail strike problems is that the sinker may not be recognised; another is the habit of relinquishing control of thrust during the flare – selecting low thrust/idle early or asking the other pilot to control thrust so that a two handed landing flare might be ‘finessed’. These actions may result in the handling pilot attempting to control the combination of speed/touchdown position during a ‘sinker’ with pitch only, usually resulting in a high nose attitude, whereas a small thrust increase might soften the arrival.

Re “Nothing wrong about landing at say Vref+30 (or 40).”
What an appalling statement given to number of fatalities in overrun accidents this year.
Touching down with excess airspeed in many aircraft may prevent the main wheel air/ground changeover working, thus preventing deployment of lift dump/spoiler, thrust reverse, and probably operation of antiskid/brakes. In these circumstances the “knowledge of performance, within reason, or experience – what you say and do” will not prevent an overrun.

framer
19th Nov 2008, 00:54
Re “Nothing wrong about landing at say Vref+30 (or 40).”

yeah that doesn't sit right with me either. It's not the total energy the a/c has that worries me, it's the aerodynamic side of the equation, the lift being generated, weight on wheels etc.
It has made me think though BelArgUSA, thankyou for that.

BelArgUSA
19th Nov 2008, 07:10
PEI 3721 -
xxx
Do YOU know how the "air/ground changeover" works in a 747...?
Apparently, you don't...
Also, re-read carefully the presentation of problem... 11,000 ft, dry, etc.
So (1) lack of system knowledge and (2) cannot read and understand.
xxx
:ugh:
Happy contrails

AirRabbit
19th Nov 2008, 23:24
Bottom line is this. Nothing wrong about landing at say Vref+30 (or 40). That would be Vref+30 = 134+30 = 164 KIAS (I could do as much as... 175) I consider this... Hopefully dry runway, and still being stopped on 60% of the runway. Maybe even 70%, as I am not that good, I tend to flare for smooth landing. Go ahead with your objections - I am retiring and know what I say and do.
I understand your comparisons of landing weights. I also recognize that you can land on a given runway at some maximum landing weight, with whatever VREF speed that weight would require – then add the appropriate additions for winds and gusts – giving you a “maximum condition” for that particular runway. And I appreciate the fact that if you land at a landing weight less than this “maximum” landing weight, with identical wind conditions you shouldn’t have a problem in getting the airplane stopped once on the ground, even if you flew the approach at the speed that would have been required for that higher, “maximum” gross weight. But that philosophy presumes that you’re going to put the airplane on the ground at the point it should be on the ground – and very often that is not accomplished precisely because of the extra airspeed the guy driving has elected to carry. A given speed in a lighter aircraft is not the same as that same speed in a heavier aircraft. As you undoubtedly know, the handling characteristics and performance are somewhat different. It is also true that if you don’t get the airplane on the ground, it will eat up distance a lot faster by staying in the air – and a faster than required approach is much more likely to result in a circumstance where unnecessarily overflying concrete will occur. Sure, you can plant the airplane at a speed that is a lot higher than what would have been normal, but, you have to know what to do and when to do it. (Personally, I prefer to train the pilot to be able to recognize how to do this – and the procedure I outlined for flare and landing earlier in this thread will allow you to do that.) However, if a pilot is not familiar with the handling characteristic differences presented by flying faster than what the weight requires, and does not know what to do about it when getting down to the runway, the probability goes up rather dramatically that a problem will occur.

Can a pilot do what you have outlined? Absolutely. But because not everyone is going to recognize the performance and handling characteristic differences, I would not recommend anyone doing anything differently than what they’ve been trained to do – compute the required approach speed based on the existing landing weight; fly the approach with the appropriate wind adjustments; reach the threshold with the appropriate airspeed (that means reducing the airspeed an amount equal to the amount added for the steady-state headwind component – keeping any additive for gusts); continue to descend to the runway, flare to reach the level flight attitude with the main wheels just off the runway, take no more than 3 seconds to get the throttles to idle while you continue to descend those last couple of feet – keeping that level flight attitude constant as you descend those last couple of feet; put the mains on the runway while still in that level flight attitude; and quickly fly the nose to the surface.

Please understand … I’m not at all suggesting that you cannot, or should not, fly your airplane the way you fly your airplane. I’m just saying that the technique you’ve outlined is not something everyone should try.

Maybe if the L-1011 (Delta 191) in Dallas would have done so, they might still be here. And approve.
Sorry. On this one I’m going to throw the flag. That was a microburst windshear. It is highly unlikely that even had the flight crew carried an unrealistically high approach speed, the conclusion would have been anything different than the tragedy that occurred. And I certainly don’t want to indicate to some of the younger, more eager, perhaps a bit too self-confident aviators who frequent this forum that windshear is “no big deal,” just add a big handful of knots and press on. That is a sure recipe for disaster that should not stand without a significant and very vocal challenge!

xxgunnerxx
19th Nov 2008, 23:36
What does the autopilot do during the autoland - vref at 50, reduce idle or touchdown at vref?:ugh:

BOAC
20th Nov 2008, 07:58
Although I generally have my eyes closed and hands clasped in front of me in a prayer-like manner, I would say the 737 can land you as low as Vref-10 depending on what happens during the 'flare'. If I were controlling throttle manually I would aim for Vref-5

PEI_3721
20th Nov 2008, 20:39
IGh Re adequate thrust response on the approach (#55).
IIRC this is the basis of being able to fly stabilised approach - the basic control of the aircraft. The magnitude of the thrust change (N1, EPR, etc) and engine response will depend on the aircraft type, but neither the thrust change nor the response time will be ‘excessive’. Excessive is a relative term, but this covered by the certification of the aircraft i.e. the aircraft can be flown/landed “without undue skill” – satisfactory handling qualities, etc, etc. (CS 25. AC 25-7 “flight test guide for certification of transport category airplanes”)

The TC circular focuses on the energy of the aircraft and not the characteristics of the engine response. It specifically defines low energy state as being where “thrust has stabilized in the idle range”, not that the engines might not spool-up quickly. The other low energy aspects are that the airspeed is decreasing and the aircraft is at low altitude.
The low airspeed reduces the option to ‘trade’ speed for increased altitude (reducing the descent rate in the flare), nor can the altitude be traded -nose down- for speed, i.e. the aircraft is low and slow in the flare.
In these circumstances, thrust is the only means of adding energy. A meaningful change (not TOGA) may take 2-3 sec to take effect, and for an average flare time of 7 sec this might not be sufficient to correct the low energy situation.
I do not read the TC comment about ground contact as relating to a tail strike or the severity of contact, only that the aircraft may touch the runway during a late go around from low airspeed. I recall other advice that in such situations it may be necessary to accelerate to the GA (approach climb) speed (~Vref) before attempting the climb away.

AirRabbit
22nd Nov 2008, 22:43
I have read, with interest, IGh’s “Examplar for PEI” in which he has pointed out several areas where the FAA (specifically the, Flight Standards offices – the HQ in Washington, and one he referred to as the SW Region) and how those offices have either incompletely addressed the issue of “stabilized approaches,” or have, if I understand his meaning, differing opinions on what that means, or at least, how it is to be achieved. He also has indicated his belief that the US NTSB erred in their investigation of the AA2065 tail strike at Denver in 2006, citing the Chairman’s comment about the board agreeing that the AA’s definition of a stabilized approach not being in “compliance” with FAA Order 8400.10. I’m not sure how that should warrant a criticism of the NTSB, but that’s a discussion for a later time. IGh has also, and very correctly, pointed out that there was a problem in the management of some activities in the SW Region. Since that time, the FAA has apparently taken significant steps to correct the lack of oversight that had apparently existed, according to DFW area newspapers and according to non-attributable confirmations in Washington, by removing and replacing the top two position holders with personnel from other areas within the FAA.

Additionally, some of you may or may not be aware that the FAA Flight Standards HQ office has been engaged for quite a while in updating and modernizing the regulations under which most passengers in the US are carried. You would note that the material that IGh referenced are “orders” and “advisory circulars,” and, as any astute observer or participant in aviation within the US would immediately recognize, the only thing the FAA can enforce are regulations. All the rest of it – including “orders” and “advisory material,” of all types – are recommendations that, while the FAA may believe important, are not requirements that anyone must follow.

You should also know, that, because the US is a nation of laws, it is imperative that the laws that will ultimately govern what happens be subjected to the scrutiny of anyone who may have an interest. It is this process that has lengthened the time that the Flight Standards office has taken to complete this project. Obviously, when anyone attempts to write a “regulation” or a “rule” that is to be followed by everyone, the task of the rule writer becomes more than a bit challenging … as this industry has long ago departed from the idea that a “one-size-fits-all” approach to something like this is not an easy thing to achieve. Also, the speed with which new technology is entering all facets our lives, it is a huge force making its way into the inner most workings of aviation. We are learning more each day about the way people learn to do things … we learn more about how simulation may be used to assist in that learning … we are able to determine, with much greater accuracy today, the root cause of incidents and accidents. And, because all of this is terribly important to the safe operation of aircraft, it is imperative that this material be taken into consideration when the rules and regulations governing the operation of aircraft are levied on those who make their livings in this industry. The rather archaic method in which the US regulatory functions have been mired was beginning to be seen as an “un-indicted co-conspirator,” so to speak, in obstructing efforts to have rules and regulations stay abreast of the situations currently existing in this fast-paced industry.

The FAA, to their credit, I believe, has opted to try a new approach to incorporating into their rules and regulations, a process that sets out requirements in a regulation (a regulation being enforceable) but in a manner that will allow that regulation to be modified rather quickly, when necessary (e.g., learning something new about how pilots learn, or learning something new about why certain accidents occur, or to keep pace with developing technology in simulation, etc.) – while still providing all of the “safe-guards” of having the general public have an opportunity to read and comment on the proposed rules prior to their going into effect. This new approach has been successfully employed in a recent rule on the evaluation of simulators, and, I understand, will be employed in the new rules governing cockpit crewmember training. As a part of that new approach, there is considerable undercurrent in the industry about what it says and what it doesn’t say … but one of the things that it will allegedly contain is a bit more specificity for a “stabilized approach.”

I have learned from someone who claims to know a lot (and has always been relatively accurate in his comments) that the material on stabilized approaches will look like the following:
A pilot flying a stabilized approach must …
1. Have the aircraft in the desired configuration for landing with the engines spooled and stable.
2. Maintain a constant pitch attitude.
3. Maintain a constant heading (within ±10°) or maintain electronic navigation indication with no more than one-quarter scale deviation vertically and laterally
4. Maintain a constant airspeed within +5 and -0 knots.
5. Maintain a constant rate of descent (not to exceed 2,000 fpm below 2,000 ft AGL or 1,000 fpm below 1,000 ft AGL).
6. Keep the aircraft trimmed.
7. Maintain altitude at MDA, when reached within +50 to -0 ft.
8. For constant angle non-XLS approaches (where “XLS” means either ILS or MLS), execute a missed approach when reaching the MDA, DA, or DH (as appropriate – and that is purportedly to mean, if the runway is not in sight or cannot be reached safely).
9. Except where the required visual references for the runway are distinctly visible and identifiable, going below the MDA, DA, or DH prior to the initiation of the missed approach procedure, is unsatisfactory performance.

To maintain my own reputation (such as it is anyway) I can’t guarantee that the above is an accurate listing of what the FAA is proposing, but it does offer an interesting series of steps which we all could, and probably should, contemplate.

RansS9
23rd Nov 2008, 15:50
Dear AirRabbit,

I read your article on final approach / flare...it's great. On your scale C150 to 747 I'm definately at the low hours C150 end. However I'm slightly confused...a not unusual situation. Two points
a) I've got three seconds to retard the throttle and remove any crab. Does the three seconds start when I start to initiate the flare or when I achieve the level flight attiude?

b)Is the gust factor that's added the total gust or the component along the runway?

Apologises if this is all blindingly obvious.
TIM

tournesol
23rd Nov 2008, 16:16
If you have been in icing conditions for an extended period of time, and at 50ft you fly below Vref, you will drop like stone. The stalling caractristics are based on a clean wing. The 1.30 and (1.23 in fly by wire airplanes) stalling margins will not protect you. I am of the opinion to fly at Vref + all the corrections(wind and gust) and bleed the speed off during the flare and touch down at Vref +the gust factor.
The advantage of reducing the landing distance, by flying below Vref is outweight by the chances of tail strike and reducing the climb performence in case of abort landing.

framer
23rd Nov 2008, 21:54
I read your article on final approach / flare...it's great. On your scale C150 to 747 I'm definately at the low hours C150 end. However I'm slightly confused...a not unusual situation.

Dear RansS9,

If you are a low time pilot just do exactly as you are being taught by your instructor. Don't muck around with final aproach speeds etc. Wait until you have 1000hrs then revisit the idea.(Unless Airrabbit is your instructor of course:))

safetypee
24th Nov 2008, 01:44
tournesol Re – “If you have been in icing conditions for an extended period of time, and at 50ft you fly below Vref, you will drop like stone”.
Your explanation perhaps states the obvious.

Certification requirements cover these points, and require manufacturers to determine any change in stall speed and publish procedures relating to this.
CS 25, AMC 25.21,
4.4.2. c. Changes in operating speeds due to flight in icing conditions.
6.8 Landing (CS 25.125). The effect of landing speed increase on the landing distance may be determined by a suitable analysis.

The AFM or operating manual should have information on the approach and landing speeds (or additions) to be used in icing conditions and the effect on landing distance required.
Some manufacturers have specific speed additives for approaches made in severe icing conditions (where the de/anti icing system can be overwhelmed); again, landing distance corrections are required.

Re “I am of the opinion to fly at Vref + all the corrections (wind and gust) and bleed the speed off during the flare and touch down at Vref +the gust factor.”

This belief might result in an overrun, as all of your excesses will reduce the landing distance safety margin. I suggest that you study the references above and the guidance in ‘Managing Threats and Errors During Approach and Landing’. (www.flightsafety.org/ppt/managing_threat.ppt)

Stan Woolley
24th Nov 2008, 04:50
[QUOTE][Re “I am of the opinion to fly at Vref + all the corrections (wind and gust) and bleed the speed off during the flare and touch down at Vref +the gust factor.”
/QUOTE]

Safetypee

This is the same advice I have in both our company ops manual and the Boeing FCTM. There is of course the proviso that you have added a maximum of +15 or +20 to Vref depending upon type but that aside I think it is correct.

AirRabbit
25th Nov 2008, 00:08
Dear AirRabbit,
I read your article on final approach / flare...it's great. On your scale C150 to 747 I'm definately at the low hours C150 end. However I'm slightly confused...a not unusual situation. Two points
a) I've got three seconds to retard the throttle and remove any crab. Does the three seconds start when I start to initiate the flare or when I achieve the level flight attiude?
b)Is the gust factor that's added the total gust or the component along the runway?
Apologises if this is all blindingly obvious.
TIM
Dear RansS9,
If you are a low time pilot just do exactly as you are being taught by your instructor. Don't muck around with final aproach speeds etc. Wait until you have 1000hrs then revisit the idea.(Unless Airrabbit is your instructor of course)
Hi RansS9:
It's nice to know that there are those on this forum who think very much alike - and, actually framer beat me to the punch (thanks framer!) He is exactly correct. I never recommend anyone doing anything contrary to what they are taught by their instructor or going against the dictates of their company policy.

Your question is a good one and the answer is that you should take approximately 3 seconds to flare and then not more than 3 more seconds to get the power to idle - and reaching idle should occur at the same time as the mains touching the runway. But, again, if you're working with an instructor, don't attempt to do this without discussing it with him/her. If you're really driven to try it and you're not working with an instructor now, what you may want to do is to discuss this with an instructor and ask him/her to go along with you while you work on the techniques involved. My point was to get folks to recognize that the proper attitude to touchdown is the level flight attitude for an established speed/configuration ... and that should put you comfortably between Vstall and Vref.

If you’re holding a crosswind correction (a crab), that correction is removed as you flare (as you have recognized) – and, here is one of the times when more rapid throttle reduction MAY be warranted. The longer you stay in the air, the more time you give the wind to work on your position. The closer you are to the runway when you complete the flare and pressure the nose around to align with the runway, the quicker you can get on the ground – out of the air – and limit the time that the wind can work on your position. No doubt you will want to apply some “upwind” aileron to keep the forward sweeping wing from rising as it moves forward – but if the wind is strong, you might have to put a bit more aileron control into the wind – and wind up with a very slight bank angle into the wind. If necessary, this may cause you to wind up touching down on the up-wind wheel(s) first … but if you’re in a very shallow bank, by the time the gear struts retract (or the springs begin to give) that should put the down-wind wheel(s) on the surface pretty quickly.

When I taught in transport category airplanes, I used to get my students to understand what attitude I was describing by having them fly down the length of the runway (at 1 to 5 feet above the runway) at the speed reached after completing the flare ... which requires adding a bit of power to keep that airspeed. Then, when they had that part pretty well under control, I'd ask them to do the same thing - attempt to fly down the length of the runway (at that same 1 to 5 feet) - but I wouldn't let them add any power. Guess what? Without that additional power and by staying in the level flight attitude - the airplane cannot maintain level flight ... it will descend. And when it descends that 1-to-5-feet, you land - and the airplane is in the proper attitude to do that. Of course, with any power added, the touchdown is usually very soft and very "greasy," and much farther down the runway than you would want. THAT is NOT what I was teaching. The point was to show that keeping the level flight attitude is not going to allow you to climb AND perhaps the most significant point is that the student learns to use whatever cues is logical to use to achieve and maintain that level flight attitude. When you flare, immediately reduce the power to idle (getting to idle as the wheels touch – and you can do it quickly or take up to 3 seconds, depending on the conditions) results in a firm (not hard) landing – firm enough to get the wheels on the surface (and through water, snow, ice, etc.) with an attitude that still allows airflow over the tail (for directional control until you get the nose gear on the ground) and because the nose is not way up there, you can fly it to the runway pretty quickly – and have that nosewheel steering available that much more quickly.

I used to teach my students to land the way I landed. I land fine (at least I think I do - haha). So ... how come they couldn't do it? Well, different pilots use different input cues to determine what to do with the airplane at different points … when to do it, how much to do, when to take out an input, etc. So I adjusted my teaching approach and decided to let the students figure out what cues were best for them to use to flare to "a level flight attitude" ... They may find that what I use works for them – but they may not – and I found that it was mostly NOT. Therefore, because I wanted them to determine what cues they thought were best to maintain that attitude without having to do it by reference to the attitude indicator or altimeter, I didn’t tell them I was teaching them to find the level flight attitude, I merely told them to fly down the runway – without climbing … without descending … without accelerating … and without decelerating. What is the definition of “level flight” again? I wanted my students to fly the airplane as well as they could - not necessarily the way I fly the airplane. And when they find out what works for them ... it DOES make a difference!

So, again, as framer said, if you’re working with an instructor –don’t mess around with this – do what your instructor teaches you to do. If you’re not working with an instructor and want to try out this method, I’d recommend getting with an instructor and tell him or her what you want to do … and then go from there. Most instructors will be willing to see what it is you’re describing, if they don’t already do something similar. Let me know what you decide to do.

safetypee
25th Nov 2008, 01:37
Stan Woolley #67, an interesting point, which is similar to many disparities in the industry. The problem might originate with:-
The aircraft certification standard may be pre regulatory change - Older aircraft – ‘Grandfather Rights’. This could mean that the risks associated with landing differ from those in a modern aircraft.
Alternatively, the aircraft may be using a different standard of landing performance, or that the aircraft is not affected (unlikely).
There might be disparity between certification and operational requirements, either within the manufacturers documentation, or the certification and/or operational regulations.
Manufacturers and/or regulators might assume a landing distance additive is used in icing conditions, i.e. it’s the operator’s responsibility for compliance with (safety) regulations.
There could be problems of communications; cf TAM, Spanair accidents, where ‘lost’ or corrupted operating information from manufacturer / regulator can contribute to an accident; – check for old notices to operators, advisory manual revisions, etc.
So it might not be surprising for manuals to have differing standards, but what is consistent is the operator’s responsibility for a safe operation, which comes down to the Captain’s responsibility on the day. Thus, it is important to understand all of the aspects which could affect the landing, the assumptions made in the regulations, and the risks involved. A good reference which covers normal operation is the UK AIC (#34) and also the relevant certification standards i.e. CS 25, FAR 25.

IGh
1st Dec 2008, 14:13
First, an easy question, for “AirRabbit”, about something you mentioned in slot #62, thrust – energy management proposal for “stabilized approach”:
“… a bit more specificity for a “stabilized approach.” … the engines spooled and stable.” [???]

There it is again! “stable” thrust???
AirRabbit, Where are you getting this? The airline pilot has always been free to move TURBOJET’s Thrust Levers while on final.

The “Energy Management Element” of FSF’s ALAR TASK FORCE [ALAR Briefing Note 4.2] doesn’t say anything about “stable” thrust. Nor does FAA’s AC120.71, Appdx 2. Nor does 8400.10.

I’m curious about where you get this notion about “stabilized thrust”??? Is there something from FSF? Maybe from FAA Flight Standards? Or, maybe this is another “alternative” from FAA’s SW Region?

= = = / / = = = =

This thread is about Approach Speed. Our industry previously debated factors that affect a pilot’s ability to control that SPEED during “unusual” conditions (fatal 11Nov65, and inflight breakups post- ARC-events). The TURBOJET engine as used in civil ops (lacking the engineered safety feature of Thrust Attenuators), still suffers the spool-up delays of decades past. To insure that any THRUST LEVER advances of a pilot yield a more intuitive linear THRUST response from his TURBOJET engines, the “engine spooled-up” criteria was established for use during final approach.

Contributed by “AirRabbit”, in slot #62, dated 22nd November; regarding
-- any US airline and it’s regulator
-- FAA’s 8400.10 and
-- FAA’s “standards” for airline pilots:
“… the material … referenced are “orders” and “advisory circulars,” … in aviation within the US … are not requirements that anyone must follow….”

Hmmm, not a requirement?
The FAA’s “standard” for AIRLINE pilots employed by US operators, re’ “stabilized approach” is published in 8400.10.

As you’ve asserted (as did FAA's AFS-2 Flt Stds), FAA’s SW Region seems free to disregard the engines spooled-up “standard” included in FAA Order 8400.10, meant for checking US air carriers. An alternative “standard” was created by an operator, and accepted by FAA’s SW Region. The operator did something more, operator cited FAA’s 8400.10 as the source for that “alternative” standard, a deception inflicted upon their own instructors and Check Airmen.

FAA Order 8400.10,
_Air Transportation Operations Inspector's Handbook_, Volume 4, chapter 2, section 3, paragraph 511 discusses stabilized approaches [8400.10 CHG 10 page # 4-158, left column, on FAA web-site, page dated 12/20/94,]
http://www.faa.gov/library/manuals/examiners_inspectors/8400/media/volume4/4_002_03.pdf

Paragraph 511 defined a stabilized approach, for TURBOJET ops’ it established the old “engines spooled-up” as the FAA’s standard, then in the right column has this note to POIs:“NOTE: Principal inspectors shall not approve an operator’s procedure unless the stabilized approach concept is used for all turbojet aircraft operations....”
Later in 1995, there is this:
On June 26, 1995, the FAA issued FSAT 95-10A,“The ‘stabilized approach concept’ of 8400.10, [paragraph] 511, will be considered essential for safe operations for all aircraft in air carrier operations....”
Still later, May 26, 1998, the FAA issued _Flight Standards Handbook Bulletin for Air Transportation _ (HBAT) 98-22,
“… 3. ACTION….
"B. POIs shall ensure that their operator's operations ... manuals contain criteria for the stabilized approach as referenced in FAA Order 8400.10, Air Transportation Operations Inspector's Handbook , volume 4, chapter 2, section 3, paragraph 511. …”

“… POIs shall make a PTRS entry to record the actions directed …”
?? AirRabit? That FAA standard, only in 8400.10, is not a requirement?

For SMS gurus, ?? does an airline management pilot have an obligation to comply with such an FAA "standard", even when his local regulator accepts non-compliance? Lacking an "accountable executive", maybe the very big US airlines are designed to overlook such details, and avoid such "changes" to their manuals: the airline is so big, there is no manager to take charge, no manager obligated to insure compliance.

AirRabbit
2nd Dec 2008, 00:00
First, an easy question, for “AirRabbit”, about something you mentioned in slot #62, thrust – energy management proposal for “stabilized approach”:
“… a bit more specificity for a “stabilized approach.” … the engines spooled and stable.” [???]
There it is again! “stable” thrust???
AirRabbit, Where are you getting this? The airline pilot has always been free to move TURBOJET’s Thrust Levers while on final.
Hello IGh. Thanks for the “soft ball,” I think. Since you didn’t question the use of the term “spooled,” I’m presuming that this particular term doesn’t engender the same degree of animus as the term “stable” does; however, at the risk of providing an overly simplistic answer, the term “stable” (as in “stable thrust”) does not mean to “lock the throttles and don’t touch them again.” It is a term that is often used with respect to throttle usage as one where the movement of the throttles may be continuous or constant but the overall effect is one that results in minor changes in pitch, trim, or airspeed – usually involving movement of the throttles significantly less than a full “knob-width.” Lack of stability in thrust would be evident in a rather large variation in pitch, trim, or airspeed – with airspeed likely being the most noticeable – exceeding values of 4 or 5 knots – strictly as a result of throttle manipulation. I probably need not say the words, but to preclude any misunderstandings, the term “stable thrust” is meant to be the opposite of “unstable thrust,” where power management runs the gamut from “flight idle” to “takeoff thrust,” in wide-ranging and precipitous throttle … (shall I say) adjustments??

I’m curious about where you get this notion about “stabilized thrust”??? Is there something from FSF? Maybe from FAA Flight Standards? Or, maybe this is another “alternative” from FAA’s SW Region?
Well, your reference to the US FAA Advisory Circular (AC) 120-71, is a good reference, and, while the term “stabilized thrust” is not used, certainly the terms “stabilized approach” and “stabilized condition” are used throughout. If you have the problem you seem to have with “stabilized thrust,” I would be curious to know if you have the same problem with either “stabilized approach” or “stabilized condition.”

You may desire to review the document you referenced, AC 120-71, Appendix 2, in which a “stabilized approach” is described a bit more … and, among other things, are the following 2 statements contained in a description of a "Stabilized Approach:"

“The airplane speed is within the acceptable range specified in the approved operating manual used by the pilot.”

...and

“Power setting is appropriate for the landing configuration selected, and is within the permissible power range for approach specified in the approved operating manual used by the pilot.”

It would be from these 2 sources that the radical concept of “stabilized thrust” derives … and please note the reference to “speed range” and “permissible power range” – clearly denoting the ability to actually move the throttles. It’s something very similar to the admonition to maintain a “constant angle, constant rate of descent;” which, of course, under any interpretation, we would all recognize as being similarly not possible – if taken to the dictionary definition, as written.

Contributed by “AirRabbit”, in slot #62, dated 22nd November; regarding
-- any US airline and it’s regulator
-- FAA’s 8400.10 and
-- FAA’s “standards” for airline pilots:
“… the material … referenced are “orders” and “advisory circulars,” … in aviation within the US … are not requirements that anyone must follow….”
Hmmm, not a requirement?
The FAA’s “standard” for AIRLINE pilots employed by US operators, re’ “stabilized approach” is published in 8400.10.
As you’ve asserted (as did FAA's AFS-2 Flt Stds), FAA’s SW Region seems free to disregard the engines spooled-up “standard” included in FAA Order 8400.10, meant for checking US air carriers. An alternative “standard” was created by an operator, and accepted by FAA’s SW Region. The operator did something more, operator cited FAA’s 8400.10 as the source for that “alternative” standard, a deception inflicted upon their own instructors and Check Airmen.

?? AirRabit? That FAA standard, only in 8400.10, is not a requirement?

First, I think you may have confused me with someone else. I don’t believe that I’ve ever asserted that anyone is free to disregard any issue that is pertinent to aviation safety. If your intent here is to criticize the SW Region office of the FAA – I’ll offer to hold your coat and hat while you do so. But if your intent is to berate my understanding of Federal Aviation Regulations vs. Advisory Circulars, Bulletins, FAA Orders, and the like, I’m afraid I’ll have to take exception. The only regulations the FAA is charged with enforcing (indeed, the only ones they MAY enforce) are those published as regulations – and they can be found in the Code of Federal Regulations. Forgive me if I sound like a colonist, but rules are rules, and advice and preferences are not - ACs are not rules; 8400.10 is not a rule. The SW Region wound up getting a lot of light and heat because of the way some there elected to do business. I am, and have been, of the opinion that the duty and responsibility of any regulatory authority is to set the minimum standards that have to be met – where, if such standards were only met in a minimal way, that level would provide for safe operation of the airplane. If the regulator can show why something is necessary to accomplish – fine – they should do so. If they cannot show why something is necessary, they have no business trying to convince, cajole, threaten, induce, persuade, or encourage anyone to do whatever it is. Now, having said that, I also believe that it is the duty and responsibility of everyone in the aviation industry to try to do the best they can for all concerned. Normally, the most efficient way to operate an airplane is also the most advantageous for maintenance, scheduling, profit, and … safety. No one should have to be encouraged, persuaded, induced threatened, cajoled, or convinced to operate an airplane safely.

However, as I often say on these threads – anyone here is free to disagree with my opinions – and some do – regularly, in fact. However, the fact remains that what is true is not dependent on any particular person’s agreement with that truth. The other fact is that when a pilot is in the cockpit, the way he or she actually flies the aircraft is a matter of personal pride and professionalism (modified, of course, by whatever the bloke in the other seat might have to say).

I would hate to find this industry in a state where the only thing anyone does is just (and only just) what he or she is required to do. I’m not a particular fan of having the kinds of skills tests to which I’m likely to be subjected contained in an internal document published only to those who may administer that skill test and determine my future. I think the new approach that some in the FAA have described sounds at least interesting … and I, for one, am anxious to see what it is they are proposing. Over the years, I’ve met several FAA employees – and generally, they pull their britches on the way we all do … and I would think that a couple of “enterprising” dolts who managed to approve some funny (“funny” as in “strange”) goings-on in the SW Region, does not make the rank-and-file FAA employee very proud of his or her colleagues.

Pugilistic Animus
2nd Dec 2008, 01:10
I'm not gonna argue with you all:\

PA:}

edit: some prior thoughts

Your aim with a large aircraft is to ALWAYS be trimmed and stabilized---during all phases of flight--furthermore---the most important aspects of being 'stable' seems lost in certain SOPS

you should be able to:

Arrive over the threshold at Vref [in most case] at the correct height---in such a manner as to assure a touchdown in the TDZ---

and maintain a thrust setting that allows full thrust to be available before contacting the ground--- i.e a missed approach or landing climb-or turbulence/shear [added words bold]--i.e spooled up in time to avoid a crash!!!

PA

IGh
2nd Dec 2008, 01:26
AirRabbit -- that's a long one, yours in slot #71 above, you seem OK with that "alternative" standard, where operator avoids the "engines spooled-up" requirement.

Take that exemplar case noted several slots above: DEN06IA051 (http://www.ntsb.gov/ntsb/brief.asp?ev_id=20060330X00368&key=1)

Those mishap pilots flew their final approach using their company's "alternative" standard -- at a "stabilized thrust" [NTSB cites the EPR as steady at 1.1 EPR all the way to impact].

?? Per the FAA's standard, should such an approach have been continued below the 500'AGL "gate"?

AirRabbit --
-- How does YOUR understanding of the FAA's "engine spooled-up" requirement fit with that operator's alternative "stabilized thrust"??

-- Do you think that "alternative" standard was an effective guide for those mishap-pilots??

Those mishap pilots did just what their company told them to do, at their company's "stabilized thrust". Speed control becomes quiet difficult using that "alternative" standard, when the engines took seven seconds to spool-up.

EDIT -- to add ENGINE ACCELERATION curves, for display on the web: First is a generic response curve (Airbus & Boeing agreement) for a 1990's TURBOJET:

http://i675.photobucket.com/albums/vv118/IGhhGI/TypicalEngineResponseChart.jpg
Flight Safety Foundation’s ALAR Tool Kit
ALAR Briefing Note 4.2 – “Energy Management”
Figure 3: “Typical Engine Response From Approach-idle Thrust ...” “Engine Acceleration
“When flying the final approach with the thrust set and maintained at idle (approach idle), the pilot should be aware of the acceleration characteristics of jet engines (Figure 3).”
FSF, _Flight Safety Digest_, August-November 2000, pg 75-79 [five pages]
Flight Safety Foundation, Approach-and-landing Accident Reduction (ALAR) Task Force.

Here's the FAR req'd response
http://i675.photobucket.com/albums/vv118/IGhhGI/FARsChart.jpg

Below is result of the accident at SLC on 11Nov65, Boeing's first graphics to teach airline pilots about the weaknesses of the TURBOJET engine:

http://i675.photobucket.com/albums/vv118/IGhhGI/JT8DAcceljpeg.jpg
[above] “727 Ops..." _Boeing Airliner_, Jan-Feb'66,pg5: “Engine acceleration from 47% to 100% thrust requires approximately 2 seconds. During acceleration from idle, power increase after 2 seconds is negligible, after 4 seconds is only 20%.”

Turbojet "Spooled-up" concept

During first week of training for TURBOJET pilots, airline must introduce the "spooled-up" concept for TURBOJET's "stabilized approach" STANDARD (see B727 / 11Nov65 fatal accident at SLC). Other airlines taught 50%N1 as their "spooled-up" standard for the JT8D. [NOTE: This really teaches pilots about DRAG required, to attain "spooled-up" requirement, prior to 8400.10's 500' gate.]

http://i675.photobucket.com/albums/vv118/IGhhGI/JT8DEngineAccelaration.jpg

AirRabbit
2nd Dec 2008, 19:06
AirRabbit -- that's a long one, yours in slot #71 above, you seem OK with that "alternative" standard, where operator avoids the "engines spooled-up" requirement.
Take that exemplar case noted several slots above: DEN06IA051
Those mishap pilots flew their final approach using their company's "alternative" standard -- at a "stabilized thrust" NTSB cites the EPR as steady at 1.1 EPR all the way to impact
I don’t see what would allow you to come to a conclusion that I “seem OK” with some nebulous “alternative standard.” If you read the post I made earlier, the first item I indicated as being acceptable is “Have the aircraft in the desired configuration for landing with the engines spooled and stable.” In my follow-on post (immediately above) I attempted to point out the fact that “stable thrust” doesn’t mean “not moving the throttles.” The last time I checked, an EPR reading in the neighborhood of 1.1 was very close to “idle” – and I certainly hope you don’t think that maintaining a stable, idle thrust on final is an appropriate way to get the job done!

If you are questioning the decision of the crew, who seem to have accepted what the airplane gave them, i.e., a speed, rate-of-descent, a ground track, etc, I agree with your puzzlement. Just because they maintained a “stable thrust setting” doesn’t mean that the setting they decided to use was an appropriate thrust setting – and – I’m completely in the dark about why you think I think that is OK!

In my post (immediately above) I indicated that “(the) airplane speed (must be) within the acceptable range specified in the approved operating manual used by the pilot” …and…“(the) power setting (must be) appropriate for the landing configuration selected, and (must be) within the permissible power range for approach specified in the approved operating manual used by the pilot.”

I think for you to presume that the flight crew was flying a procedure their company mandated or approved, when they maintained essentially an idle power setting all the way down final, is a bit of a stretch. Of course without “being there,” its hard to know just what the crew was thinking … but, and excuse me if I step on some toes here, but it seems as though the crew was deliberately attempting an “idle approach, flare, and touchdown.” I can’t imagine any company, anywhere, thinking that this is an acceptable procedure. In my opinion, this is an air-show, glitzy, "gee-wiz" stunt that has no place in air transportation service! In fact, the link you provided describes the company’s procedures as the following:
A stabilized approach means the airplane must be: at approach speed (VREF + additives); on the proper flight path at the proper sink rate, and at stabilized thrust. These requirements must be maintained throughout the rest of the approach for it to be considered a stabilized approach. If the stabilized approach requirements cannot be satisfied by the minimum stabilized approach heights or maintained throughout the rest of the approach, a go-around is required.
In my opinion, this sounds like a very logical, very safe, and completely appropriate procedure to follow. However, what the crew flew was not this procedure. Where you get the idea that the crew followed an authorized or approved “alternative” procedure is beyond my understanding.

AirRabbit --
-- How does YOUR understanding of the FAA's "engine spooled-up" requirement fit with that operator's alternative "stabilized thrust"??
-- Do you think that "alternative" standard was an effective guide for those mishap-pilots??
Those mishap pilots did just what their company told them to do, at their company's "stabilized thrust". Speed control becomes quiet difficult using that "alternative" standard, when the engines took seven seconds to spool-up.
And what makes you think that this crew “did just what their company told them to do?” Do you have any statements? Any manuals? Any bulletins? Any anything? Are you of the opinion that the company lied when they supplied the definition of a “stabilized approach?”

The concept of having the engines “stabilized” within an appropriate power range to provide adequate speed and rate-of-descent … and the concept of having the engines “stabilized” at idle power … are completely different issues – and I cannot imagine that you don’t see that simple fact. I continue to puzzle over the fact that somehow you think that I believe an “alternative standard” or an “alternative procedure” is even a discussion issue here. The flight crew had an established procedure. They did not follow that procedure. That part seems pretty evident. Simply because they did not follow the established procedure, does not immediately imply that they were complying with an acceptable or an approved “alternative procedure” – unless you have access to information that no one else has … is that the case?

IGh
3rd Dec 2008, 22:26
OK -- this is STILL about control of Approach Spd on TURBOJET aircraft. There is a tightly coupled relation between Vref, and Engines "SPOOLED-UP".

Reply to a question posed in the slot above:"... you of the opinion that the company lied ... the definition of a 'stabilized approach'?...”
"Lied"? Maybe the operator never appointed the "accountable executive" to coordinate the needed changes to their manuals. Even in good time$, the operator never wanted to participate in projects motivated by their own A&L mishaps. Sure, they'd send a few staffers, but never wanted to train their managers to ALAR Standards. Nor did their local regulator provide training for the CMO guys, even after the Recommendations following a mishap at LIT [Recommendation A-01-69 is classified "Open--Unacceptable Response."]:

Even now the SW Region & the AA-CMO think that "... stabilized thrust has the same meaning as engines spooled-up" [2Jan08 reply from Flt Stds' AFS-2].
There is a longer paper trail on this subject of "stabilized approach" criteria re' that operator. There were several investigations, the ALAR Task Force, repeated Bulletins to the CMO/POI, but the operators' CMO never was capable of persuading the operator toward correcting the err re' their 8400.10 deception. The Board gave up on trying to get the regulator to work with the operator to get their manuals corrected.

AirRabbit
4th Dec 2008, 14:22
Hi IGh:

Perhaps you are used to speaking or writing with multiple abbreviations, being under the assumption that everyone surely knows the meanings of such references. If I may, here is a suggestion … it would aid the readers if you were to indicate what it is that you are using when you abbreviate terms … e.g. it would have been helpful to have indicated that the “ALAR Task Force” or the “ALAR Standards” referred to the Flight Safety Foundation’s “Approach-and-Landing Accident Reduction” efforts. It took me a while to locate the appropriate references.

Additionally, you cite sentences supposedly contained in a letter from an official in the FAA’s Flight Standards Service, but don’t give the reference(s) where one can read the entire letter, including the referenced sentence(s), to learn the context in which it(they) were(are) used. Additionally, you claim to know a lot about the exchanges that took place between the respective FAA offices and the offices at American Airlines; you suggest that you understand the motives behind some of those exchanges; and you seem to be certain of the failure of some of those exchanges. I understand if your anonymity is necessary to provide this information without incurring recriminations, but, please understand the awkwardness in which your readers are finding themselves in trying to keep up with your allegations.

I continue to suspect that you believe that 1) American developed a procedure that ultimately turned out to be inappropriate – and 2) the local FAA office is complicit in accepting (or approving?) that procedure. However, I cannot understand why you believe this is true. You cite an example of a flight crew flying an approach that is contrary to the procedures that American stated was the appropriate and approved procedure. If I’m reading the American procedure correctly – they required a “stabilized approach,” which they described as having the airplane at the proper approach speed (Vref + additives), on the proper flight path, at the proper sink rate, and at stabilized thrust. Apparently, the FAA office agreed with the procedural description provided by American. I’ve attempted to provide a rather universally practical understanding of the term “stabilized thrust,” that does not imply a rigid, unmovable throttle position at any power setting. Rather, the throttle setting has to be in a range (indicating that movement is logical and is to be expected) appropriate to the airspeed and rate-of-descent desired due to glide slope angle, configuration, and weight – and, I was hopeful that anyone would understand that such a “throttle position range” would not be “idle thrust” – hence the descriptive term “spooled and stable.”

I believe that you think there was a sinister effort on the part of either American or the FAA to provide American crews with an incoherent description of how an approach was to be flown – and it was this incoherent description that caused confusion and resulted in the flight crew mishandling the approach. I would submit that your conspiracy theory is just that – a conspiracy theory – that has no place in a legitimate discussion of approach procedures. Unless you can provide any information to the contrary, I would suggest that you cease with the non-specific allegations of wrong doing on the part of the company or of the FAA – heaven knows, the FAA in the SW region has enough of its own problems without having to deal with conspiracy theories as well.

IGh
5th Dec 2008, 12:42
From a statement in slot just above:"... cite sentences ... in a letter from an official in the FAA’s Flight Standards Service ... the reference(s) ..."
The ref # used by FAA for that reply-letter is "reference: S20070716012": Letter from FAA, John M. Allen, Deputy Director,[AFS-2], Flight Standards Service, Reply Dated Jan 2nd, 2008. Letter was 2-pages; one important paragraph is the last paragraph on the first page:“In its review of these complaints, Flight Standards Southwest Region determined that ... the term “stabilized thrust” ... has the same meaning as engines spooled up and can be used ....”
Edit: FAA's website shows that the writer [FAA, John M. Allen, Deputy Director,[AFS-2], Flight Standards Service] was later PROMOTED to AFS-1, and as of Feb'09 that man is listed as "John Allen, Director, Flight Standards Service"
per: http://www.faa.gov/about/office_org/headquarters_offices/avs/key_officials/

AirRabbit
5th Dec 2008, 14:10
Hi IGh:
Ummm... thanks for the reference. Now that you've provided a reference number for the letter you describe, I've got just one question ... do you have a suggestion as to where one would search for that reference number? Just for your information, both a "google search" and an "FAA search" for that number resulted in "no match found."

tournesol
8th Dec 2008, 14:01
Safetypee,
Tx for the link. It is indeed educational and a refresher for the more seasoned aviators. Throughout, I have not seen anywhere suggesting to fly below Vref.
My opinions have been formed by following the guidelines from Boeing training manuals.
I have flown in the corporate aviation for a while,where the idea of flying below Vref is quite readily accepted. Personally, I have yet to see any publication by any manufacturer sugesting this technique. Even though a lot of non FAA/CAA approved publications, TRIs and LTCs encourage it.
As for my exposures to airlines, this is not tolerated by the major manuacturers nor by any airline that I know of.
By following the recommendations of those who build and certify the planes that we fly will keep us safe and legal.

john_tullamarine
8th Dec 2008, 20:27
where the idea of flying below Vref is quite readily accepted

How quaint .. can't say that I'd like to be in the box at a post mishap inquiry trying to defend such a practice ...

BOAC
9th Dec 2008, 16:29
Good job you were not involved in autoland certification for the 737, JT :) - it often (naturally) touches down at speeds a fair bit below 'Vref'.

safetypee
9th Dec 2008, 18:05
tournesol, to avoid any misunderstanding about landing from Vref-5 at the threshold; I stress that the certification tests only demonstrate that a landing will be safe, and thus provides a margin of safety below the normal minimum speed of Vref at the threshold. Vref-5 is not intended for normal (or even abnormal) operations, only as a margin to counter speed inaccuracy, wind, etc.

It would be interesting to understand why manufacturers and operators add an additional margin above Vref for normal landings. It could indicate a difference in views of the safety margin between the operational and certification assumptions. If Vref is ‘safe’, and landing performance is based on this, then what is the justification – the balance of safety from the speed margin in landing at Vref+5 against a reduction in the landing distance safety margin?

Pugilistic Animus
9th Dec 2008, 20:09
Vref is safe the arrival in the TDZ at between Vref an Vref+5 is to me a common sense item---under most circumstances however ---see BelArgUsa's post:ok:

as long as you are not accelerating [in the real meaning] you are in steady level coordinated flight---if parameters are changing VS/ ASI then you are not in 'SLCF' however if [in my divination] have allowed yourself the correct altitude/airspeed buffers it is possible to alter the flight path and resume SLCF---by making trim and power changes------

but that is steady level coordinated flight

---to be stable for landing you must first acheive force vector equilibrium, thence remain with in the performance parameters dictated by the OEM/certification authorityn and the Air carrier rules and coomon sense

now, many folks get SLCF confused with stable:= they are different --- One can be stable at VMO

However,

----by acheiving and remaining in SLCF the are several benefits acceleration noted on the instument give advance notice of event like gust or windshear

----engine thrust should be quite close to that required for fast spool up to aprch and ldg climb thrust form Vref+x

correction to mild deviatons in sink rate are easily adjusted for with thrust because the airplane will remain near trim airspeed and -- if applicable-- it makes the ol' "boeing push' real smooth like:} if you're gonna get an arrival you can just drag her on in
PA

john_tullamarine
9th Dec 2008, 20:44
Good job you were not involved in autoland certification for the 737

Have no difficulty with a below approach speed touch down .. if this isn't the case then something strange is going on .. unless one is coming aboard the boat. However, approaching at below Vref for a normal civil aircraft is an invitation for legal sanction somewhere down the track after it's all turned pear-shaped.

One of the reasons we see a basic additive is to provide for handling differences between the stall/min speed certification animals.

For example, if my recollection is OK, the 727-100 was a older conventional stall certification while the -200 was to the later rules. End result was that the -100 was fine at or around Vref but the -200 behaved itself better if one carried an additional 5-10 knots .. while the aces could get away with the lower speed ... those of us who aspired only to a routine stick and rudder standard preferred to avoid the near inevitable crashes when the ground rose up to smite the aircraft ... always amazed me .. the -100 was a pussycat delight to land (greasers were the routine norm) while the -200 had to be watched all the time (in 2500 hours I managed one greaser and I still have no idea how that occurred .. perhaps the ground was having a day off that day ?

I occasionally reminisce about a chap with whom I flew for a few months .. his worst landing generally was far better than my best .. I could never quite work out just how he caused the -200 to cease going down and commence rolling along the runway with no generally discernible flare or touch down dynamics ... then, again, he had about a million hours on the -200 so that may have had something to do with it, I guess ?