PDA

View Full Version : Bomber Command Memorial Walk - Your Help Needed

fantaman
12th Nov 2008, 08:41
Good Evening All,

Many thanks to all of those who have already offered to help with this appeal.

For the last week I’ve been working behind the scenes trying to get this appeal off the ground and I’m please to say, things are moving in the right direction. Offers of assistance have been flooding into my inbox from all areas of the UK.

The original idea of walking from the Mohne Dam has now been cancelled in favour of a UK based effort as the logistics involved in an international event wee just too prohibitive. We’re now at the route planning stage and we’re hoping that you can help us.

There were over 50 bomber command bases during WW2 so visiting them all would be impossible. However, a walk taking in as many as possible would be a fitting way to honour those who perished.

One of the ideas proposed involved two teams, one starting from the North (RAF Elvington) and one starting from the South (RAF Mildenhall). Both teams would finish the walk at RAF Coningsby, with the home of the BBMF providing a fitting finish line.

Please use this thread post any ideas you may have for a route or any other ideas you may have for the walk. I can’t emphasise enough that we need your help in making this work. Please keep the PMs/posts offering your support and help coming.

55,000 aircrew died during WW2, it’s our duty to make sure they are remembered in the best possible way. The floor is yours.

Mods, I’d appreciate if you could make this a sticky

Grabbers
12th Nov 2008, 08:45
What about cycling, unsupported, to all 50? Do you have a list of the bases involved?

fantaman
12th Nov 2008, 09:28
Grabbers,

The telegraph have an excellent map on their site where you can roll your mouse over the map and look at the base. It also lists the losses of that particular base.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newstopics/rafbombercommand/3268803/find-your-nearest-bomber-station.html

Grabbers
12th Nov 2008, 19:04
Cheers Dude,

I will, at a spare moment over the weekend, work out a route to assess feasability. Anyone interested in joining me then please get in touch. I had a rough idea of ending up at the same finish line as the walkers at the same (ish) time, and working the route and timings backwards from there. Anyone fancy running a team doing a similar feat?

fantaman
12th Nov 2008, 19:28
Grabbers,

It doesn't have to be a walk. Nothing is definite yet so if ther is more interest in a cycle, we can change it to that. A cycle would allow us to take in more of the bases so thats a major plus :ok:

A team running from the North and South does seem like a plan with both teams ending at the same location for a bit of a bash and celebration. Coningsby is fairly central in relation to all of the Bomber Command bases and with the BBMF and Lanc being based there, I can't think of a more fitting end.

Chuck me a PM when you've worked out a route and I'll do the same.

Cheers fella :ok:

Stretch182
12th Nov 2008, 19:42
Fanta

Happy to work out the walking route for you, with timings & routecards etc, have some software thats pretty good at that sort of thing.

Cheers

Stretch