PDA

View Full Version : VAT recovery on flight training

thompsonmarkp
11th Nov 2008, 18:57
Dear all

I'm about 40 hrs into my IR having also got a multi-engine rating and have chocked up about £12.5k of which, about £1800 is VAT!!!!!!

Anyone know of any way this can be claimed back from the taxman?

mcgoo
11th Nov 2008, 18:59
Nope, this has been covered a few times and always comes back no unfortunately.

chrisbl
11th Nov 2008, 19:21
Dont waste your time - forget it

IrishJetdriver
11th Nov 2008, 19:25
Used to be able to do it with the NVQ system but the government spotted it and put the trainset back in the box.

I don't know but maybe if you set yourself up as a company you can claim a lot of it back when you get a job. I believe this can work well with a SSTR but have never had to do it myself.

fadedfootpaths
11th Nov 2008, 19:28
Contest in the next elections and wipe out the VAT and help future "Wannabes":D:D

portsharbourflyer
11th Nov 2008, 20:17
In short no you can't claim back VAT on initial training.

Irishjetdriver,

You could only claim the VAT back on a SS type rating if you subsequently start working as a self employed contract pilot. With low hours and no time on type it is very unlikely that someone would be able to work as a contract pilot.

Superpilot
11th Nov 2008, 21:05
I have heard from Ryanair recruitment that a lot of Ryanair Brookfield Contract pilots have successfully claimed VAT back on the TR which is about £4.5k

A and C
12th Nov 2008, 07:56
It has always seemed to me that the UK government discriminates against its own citizens. On the one hand it lets pilots from almost anywhere work in the UK despite the fact that most nations put in place rules and regulations that prevent UK pilots working in those country's (try getting a flying job in France of Spain).
At the same time pilots from these country's can train in the UK and get the VAT back from the UK government via the home government & EEC.

So in effect the UK government gives cheap training to non UK pilots so that they can take YOUR jobs...........If that is not discrimination I don't know what is.

Before some one starts bleating about free movement within the EEC I just have to say "try getting a flying job in France".

Niallpatty
5th Nov 2013, 21:04
Can anybody comment as to whether this ruling by the court of appeal sets a precedence with the flying training being classed in this instance as vocational training and therefore should be VAT free. With the taxpayer paying for this guy's PPL I just wondered if things might have changed in light of this ruling.

Taxpayers' £10,000 bill to teach failed asylum seeker to fly | Mail Online (http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2487444/Taxpayers-10-000-teach-failed-asylum-seeker-fly.html)

RichardH
6th Nov 2013, 10:29
It has always seemed to me that the UK government discriminates against its own citizens.

You are correct the UK government doesn't a stuff about the indigenous people and just does as the EU wants. Ie arrive in Spain, France or Eastern Europe and just keep walking until you arrive in the benefit paradise of the UK as all the main parties lack the balls to do something about it.

As stated, under NVQ 15+ years ago VAT relief was allowed on COMMERCIAL training unfortunately the system was abused when every PPL schools signed up for it for PPL students with no intention of a commercial career.

Don't worry though the VAT of course goes to pay for failed asylum seekers pleasures instead! Though strictly it is a loan - hmm - to be repaid - not a chance.

mad_jock
6th Nov 2013, 10:50
The claim back of training costs through the Irish tax system is falling over especially if your based in the UK.

There are FO's getting 5 figure tax demands through the post. They can go back 6 years as well and appear to be doing so.

High-Flyer2
7th Nov 2013, 05:42
I was under the impression you can claim it back. Speak with an accountant, the chap I spoke with reckons you can claim it back as your PPL is the initial training and the CPL/IR can be classed as further training and not initial training.

RichardH
7th Nov 2013, 07:51
Remember YOU are responsible for your tax obligations not your accountant.

Trying claiming back the VAT on this will have HMRC crawling all over you, your accounts and possibly your accountant. See mad_jock's previous post.