PDA

View Full Version : NCL Ground Handling

transwede
11th Nov 2008, 18:01
Following on from other discussions regarding the EZY ground contracts, rumours started today that Servisair have lost it at NCL to the new kid on the block - GATE Aviation?? Anyone know any more, shame if it is true as Servisair's biggest contract!

AviationNE
12th Nov 2008, 09:33
Apparently servisair recieved notice that as of 21st January Gate aviation has been appointed to Handle all Ground Operations. Well done to the new kid on the block. 2 of the biggest all year round operators on their books!

speedbird_481_papa
12th Nov 2008, 10:57
u poor guys up north! I can honestly say I feel for you to. We to from the 21 January 2009 will be handled not by servisair but by menzies. The annoying thing here at BRS is that no one seems to know for certain exactly what is going to happen.

There are so many roumours flying around at the moment that I am not believing / doing /reacting to anything until I have seen something written down on paper. We were told by our managers about it.

Sorry though to hear that you guys are also in the same boat. We at Bristol are supporting you.

We were also advised that now is a good time to join a union.

Have any of you guys heard anything from Servisair?

Kind Regards

Speedbird

transwede
12th Nov 2008, 18:02
I think it will be quite damaging for S'Air at NCL. EZY was their largest client, leaving them with only FR, TCX, SN, WOW and EI - the latter 3 only having 1 flight per day. Hope all ok for staff.

twhite1
12th Nov 2008, 21:01
Same here today we were told at liverpool that Servisair are not going to handle ezyjet from 09. This leaves either gate aviation or menzies.

My question...if say ezy choose gate aviation to handle them, does this mean gate aviation will handle ezyjet throughout all the uk? or does it vary from airport to airport?

Gate aviation are only a small company so to take on someone like ezyjet will either be a big success for them or a disaster! Does anyone no if menzies are good to work for? i hear they pay higher wages?

Still dont no anything official will keep listening

Skipness One Echo
12th Nov 2008, 21:15
So putting this together, easyJet have dumped all Servisair UK ops? GLA / EDI / LGW / etc to Menzies.

opswench
13th Nov 2008, 14:01
the thing is that EZY gets a cheap deal with Menzies plus they are a known quantity - they have done enough new base start ups together to know how it works ....

Menzies have just laid off loads of staff where business is not booming ie LCY / LTN but Star alliance is going really well for them at LHR. They also have SOME (def not all) experienced managers who are used to the start ups and before they were menzies ... they were easyjet managers!

groundhogbhx
13th Nov 2008, 22:19
EZY not lost at all bases, still handled by Servisair at BHX. But Menzies haven't started operating there yet:ooh:

END BAG
14th Nov 2008, 19:16
Servisair lost contract to Menzies this time last year at East Midlands!!

speedbird_481_papa
18th Nov 2008, 10:39
well I think that for anyone who is in the same prediciment with regards from moving from Servisair accross to a new handling agent is honestly sit tight. It will be ok and all FOH staff will be fine and ram agents, baggage handlers dispatchers etc may well be transferd accross to menzies/Gate aviation as well as these new agents will need staff to continue the opperational side of things. We will all be fine! Lets all stick together and support our fellow colleagues in other bases and we will all ride out this storm!!!

Kind Regards

Speedbird

boeingbus2002
18th Nov 2008, 21:05
Good luck to all Servisair staff. Jobs should be safe through TUPE at least. But there is the uncertainty of how T&Cs may change. Too many rumours about Menzies floating about. However there is no smoke without fire.
They are cheaper with reason...costs are cut in all areas. Low cost operators may not be too worried about certain "reductions". Expansion is a good thing and fair play to any company who succeeds. However the rate of growth is too fast.
One poster has commented that the Star Alliance at LHR is going well. Yes there are new contracts. However there is a severe shortage of "experienced staff". Ops agents are being rushed through after 4 days training and no prior experience. Some of the carriers have been unhappy with service provided on the ramp. Its no hidden secret that TAP wanted to delay their Menzies move further or were even against it.

If this sounded too pessimistic, as the poster above mentions..stick together guys. Sometimes this sort of change can be positive. Either to move on to better things or perhaps just a new way of working.

speedbird_481_papa
22nd Nov 2008, 00:46
As well as STN :ugh:

Tranceaddict
22nd Nov 2008, 11:19
As well as STN

Doubt it, Swissport handle EZY at STN. Servisair never have

sunshine79
29th Nov 2008, 19:21
I don't know if I am way late with this news but Gate Aviation are advertising for staff due to easyJet moving their contract over from Servisair. Is this old news that I haven't heard about?

claireybaby
1st Dec 2008, 15:23
Does anyone know when Gate Aviation take over the EZY contract?

AviationNE
1st Dec 2008, 18:23
21st January 2008

Magic Buff
1st Dec 2008, 23:40
Does anyone know anything about this company?

sunshine79
11th Dec 2008, 20:59
Does anyone know if Gate Aviation have started interviewing for their recent recruitment drive at NCL?

SWBKCB
14th Dec 2008, 07:38
From the Chronicle. Odd choice of words - Servisair chose to drop Easy?

AIR passengers could face long delays after baggage handlers and ground staff agreed to take industrial action. About 120 members of the Unite union at Newcastle Airport voted in favour of a possible strike amid fears of job losses.

The Servisair workers are concerned they will be out of work after the firm dropped its contract with low-cost carrier easyJet.

The work has been picked up by Gate Aviation, which will take over on January 21.

Staff would usually be transferred to the new company, but a contract dispute has broken out.

Regional industrial organiser for Unite, Graham Eastwood, said: “There is some dispute between Gate Aviation and Servisair which is yet to be finalised. We’re trying to work with both companies to get this matter resolved as quickly as possible without affecting services. Workers voted almost unanimously that, if needed, they are prepared to take industrial action to protect jobs. The action could be imminent, however we don’t believe there will be any disruption over the Christmas period. The ball is clearly in Servisair’s court.”

Workers who could stage the walkout include baggage handlers, ramp staff and aircraft loaders. Easyjet flights could be grounded if they took strike action and other carriers could also be affected by any walkout. Meetings between the companies were due to continue on Monday.

However, a Servisair spokesman said: “Under UK employment law our employees who work on the easyJet contract have the right to transfer to Gate Aviation when the contract moves to them on 22 January, 2009. We had hoped that Unite would focus on supporting our efforts to protect their members’ rights instead of threatening disruption to passengers.”

No-one was available for comment from Gate Aviation

andrewmcharlton
14th Dec 2008, 16:38
Seems like a mad theory, "we lost the contract so let's go on strike to save our jobs".

Mr Scargill would be proud.

As SLF it's another opportunity for the airport and staff to shoot themselves in the foot.

DL93
16th Dec 2008, 13:56
Servisair did NOT loose the contract- Servisair had in excess of 12mths left of the contract, Servisair arranaged a meeting with Ezy to discuss their breach of contract-

Ezy agreed a number of turns per week in NCL BRS LPL- Ezy has been changing their programme constantly. then end result being a 17% loss of revenue for Servisair from the Ezy contract.

Servisair asked Ezy for more cash to fund the differences, Ezy were not meeting servisair on the table so Servisair issued Ezy with 90 days notice.

sunshine79
17th Dec 2008, 17:05
Does anyone know the outcome of Monday's meeting between Gate Aviation and Servisair?

speedbird_481_papa
17th Dec 2008, 19:40
DL93 likeing ur name :ok:

But DL93, thats a bit of info here at BRS we wernt informed about:ugh:

Typical :mad: management here keeping us in the dark all the time

skhwoody
18th Dec 2008, 11:15
i heard similar, the contract meant servisair were losing money for each turn around and refused to do it for a loss. Gate were appraoched when servisair gave notice.

DL93
18th Dec 2008, 15:45
easyjet went to swissport for handling but they refused- gate aviation refused at first as they wanted time to set up their ops fully- however with gate refusing it was leaving Ezy with out a handling agent so the airport stepped and gate accepted the contract-
I honestly dont think they are going to be ready to take over such a big contract the equip and manpower they are gonna need is un-real and they have just over 4 weeks to get it all set up and working.

Speedbird- what is going to happen to the guys @ BRS any ideas

transwede
18th Dec 2008, 15:54
Has agreement been reached between Servisair and Gate over transfer of staff or are Servisair looking at redundancies in NCL and likewise BRS? I too wish Gate all the best, but it is a very large contract to take on and 4 weeks is not alot of time to prepare?

speedbird_481_papa
18th Dec 2008, 17:33
Well at the moment havent gate aviation as a company been operational for no more than 2 months and only handles Eastern Airways? Thats what I was told when I came up for a day and if that is the case, that is one huge operation they will have to take on. Does Gate have the infrastructure in place???:bored:

sunshine79
18th Dec 2008, 22:21
Gate advertised on the NCL website a couple of weeks ago for different role types. They aren't leaving much time to do the interview rounds and training before the start of the EZY contract. I emailed them on Monday asking if they knew when they would be interviewing, but they replied saying they don't know at the moment and will be in touch in due course. Once Christmas/New Year is out of the way, then the interviews go ahead, you are looking at least 21st January as a starting date for new employees. People have to give notice on their current jobs too, so it dosen't look like this has been organised very well.

GeorgEGNT
23rd Dec 2008, 21:26
I have also applied for a position at Gate Aviation after the EZY contract take over announcement. Having read SWBKCB's post I am not filled with confidence, surely if the Servisair Gate meeting reaches a reasonable conclusion there will be little chance for 'outsiders'?
I'm starting to get quite anxious.

I'm starting to doubt that Gate will be set up in full for the take over of contract on the 21st of Jan (Uneducated opinion of course) looking at it realistically, say they interview over one week starting monday the 5th of Jan, they could of made a decision by the 12th, hired the staff and filled out all the paperwork. This gives them just over 1 week to train all of these staff ready for the start of the EZY contract on the 21st. I mean, from what I've heard, they seem a good company who are only growing at NCL, but this dispute regarding exsisting Servisair staff has seemed to mess Gate up abit. I suppose we'll have to wait a month to see how it goes.

speedbird_481_papa
24th Dec 2008, 19:13
All FOH staff are being TUPEd accross to Menzies here at BRS on the 22 Jan. They to are recruiting but as to how many they will take on I really can't say.

There are a lot of redundencies being announced at BRS and Servisair on the 30th of DEC.

How are your colleagues up there fairing who aren't being TUPEd accross?

KNIEVEL77
26th Dec 2008, 20:53
So I suppose someone with absolutely NO experience at all doesn't stand any chance at all of being employed in any capacity by Gate Aviation????

GeorgEGNT
26th Dec 2008, 22:09
KNIEVEL77, I assume when Gate Aviation took on this contract they were aware of the UK employment law regarding the Servisair staff (mentioned in SWBKCB's post) and were probably therefore expecting some Servisair staff, so at the moment I wouldnt be too worried at the present moment in time, I am in the same point and am trying to stay positive! I will be contacting them on the 2nd to try and get an update on the whole situation for candidates.

KNIEVEL77
6th Jan 2009, 21:10
Hi George,

Any update?

K77.

ReadyToGo
7th Jan 2009, 21:11
UPDATE (second hand, dont quote me on figures)

Gate is taking a fair few Ramp Agents, and FOH staff from Servisair. As well as a team of despatchers and training staff. They are also actively recruiting staff, some of which are ex-seasonal workers from Servisair. I imagine these guys will take over EZY operations from the start, and leave the Gate staff to deal with Eastern untill things settle down.

They are getting equipment daily, and it all looks to be in good condition. I am also told that the concerns aren't with the staff or infrastructure, (Servisair did a decent job with EZY) but more that there are concerns that new staff may not recieve their clearance in time. I guess a few guys at Gate are getting very nervous, their going to have all eyes on them when they take over (25th Jan? My memory let me down).

Its a HUGE gamble for Gate. If they get this right, they're going to be a major force at NCL, if they don't... they're going to look foolish. I wouldn't want to be a manager!

In the words of my friend (a former Servisair employee)... the guys on the ground arent fussed. Its still a plane, and its still to load and unload.

Good Luck, they are going to need it!

richardnei
7th Jan 2009, 21:32
I would have to agree, working for a ground handling company as a trainer myself. The biggest thing will be getting the necessary security clearance for Gate's new staff.

They may have the staff and equipment to handle such a large contract but it's not much good if none of the staff can get airside to do their jobs!!

Servisair have made the right decision by serving notice to ezy. At the end of the day the handling agent can't operate at a loss particularly in the current economic climate.

legalize
7th Jan 2009, 21:41
Who is the managemet team behind gate aviation? Are they experienced in aviation?

KNIEVEL77
7th Jan 2009, 21:51
Hi Richard,

As a trainer, what are the chances of a 43 year old with no 'airport' experience thinking of having a complete career change getting a job, say with Gate.........although I DO have already airside clearance due to working on the ITV programme 'Airline'?

K77.

sunshine79
7th Jan 2009, 22:45
I think Gate will look very bad if they don't even so much as offer interviews to people who have spent time sending in their CV's, especially when they advertised on the NCL website for a few different job roles. They knew what would happen with the Servisair staff and contracts when they decided to take on the EZY contract, so why put people through the past few weeks of hoping for an interview, then decide they aren't taking on 'outsiders' Looks like I won't be getting a foot through the door of working at the airport this year then.

ReadyToGo
7th Jan 2009, 22:57
Nobody should give up hope of working at an airport, Newcastle or any other, because this is not traditionally a time when handling agents are recruiting.

When I was working within the industry, January and the winter months were always quiet, but with Thomas Cook supposedly basing a third aircraft, and the seasonal charters from Onur Air etc, the companies will be looking to take on staff to see them through the summer, and hopefully beyond.

Gate are likely wanting experienced people in now, because this is a "make or break" contract. They simply dont have the time to train up 'green' staff. Working airside is not like a lot of jobs. In 2 weeks, they can't possibly train people all the safety/security aspects, and teach them to drive the vehicles/despatch flights. Not to mention the time it takes to get an airside pass. By advertising on the website, it sounds like they got what they wanted, ex-seasonal staff who already have driven airside, already know the rules of the ramp etc, and will just need refreshing to do the job.

I bet in March, Servisair, Gate and.... (Swissport?) will be looking to take on new staff, and thats your best chance to get a foot in the door. A lot of people start with no experience, and they soon learn. An interest in the industry, and maybe some semi-related experience (customer service, transport. warehousing?) will probably get you a long way.

Watch the website!

KNIEVEL77
7th Jan 2009, 23:01
Well i'm actually currently training as a Helicopter Pilot at Newcastle and also spent 6 months there filming for Airline/Easyjet so i'm hopefully not totally 'green'!

ReadyToGo
7th Jan 2009, 23:18
Sounds like you got a pretty good chance then!

Although I imagine the security pass would need clearing again. Just hold on for a few months and fire off your CV to the main companies and cross your fingers. As with all jobs, some relative experience is always better than none, and handling agents DEFINATELY hire staff with zero airside experience for the busy summer season.

But I think in the case of Gate Aviation, what they needed now was people with existing knowledge who they could just "refresh" in these weeks so that they had an experienced team in place for the start of the contract. I never saw the advert on the website, so can't really say, but I bet they were hoping to get ex-airport staff, or even to pinch staff from other companies, which is what it sounds like they got!

KNIEVEL77
7th Jan 2009, 23:21
RTG,

Thats the problem.......I don't really have anything relevant to put on a CV other than i've worked in TY for 25 years!

K77.

ReadyToGo
11th Jan 2009, 11:54
More information.

The management team behind Gate Aviation at Newcastle are apparently all experienced in handling, largely ex Swissport management I am told. So they should be more than capable of handling the situation.

What worries me, is that this company is going to go from a few Jetstreams with long turnarounds, to 30minute ones with Easy 737's and 319's, and I am told that the ground staff at Gate have had little to no practical experience with Easyjet and these larger aircraft, let alone dealing with a totally different type of passenger. I don't suppose there are many drunken hen parties and football fans flying out to Stavanger with Eastern.

Anyone care to make predictions as to how the handover is going to go?

DL93
11th Jan 2009, 16:55
I feel that there is going to be a few teething problems, but they have at least 70+ exp easyjet staff ( FOH Disp Ramp) so in theory is shouldnt be to bad once the "gate" staff are up to speed with EZY rules and regs then it should be painless, providing the kit gate have getten is up to scratch.

Gate have a good chance to make it here, get this right and there is no limits to what they can do, get it wrong and i feel they might be very red faced!!

AviationNE
11th Jan 2009, 17:17
There is no doubt that there will be teething problems but i think that will be expected by all concerned. With regards to staff. Current staff are by and large all ex swissport staff and will have dealt with all the easyjet type of passengers before. The FOH staff currently employed will most likely stay with eastern as they wear the Eastern Uniform. So the current staff who are all experienced plus the new Tupe staff should make for an experienced company all in all. As with regard to aircraft sizes the staff I Know who work for gate all have experience on 757/767 aircraft aswell as Just a Jetstream.

urdy gurdy
15th Jan 2009, 18:56
I know a few of there ops staff have lengthy previous service, and most of the others have a good 2-3 years experience add into that the tupe staff from servisair, some of which i know are good too and it looks ok. the existing ramp staff are good and again with the experience from airways that should be fine too.
you will always get teething problems, with any change of GHA and i am sure ezy are expecting this for the first few weeks.
As for 30 min turnarounds its becoming pretty much industry standard these days.

British Grenadier
16th Jan 2009, 14:34
Emirates at Heathrow like a 1Hr 45mins tunaround on their A380 !!!! Ugly looking critter !!!

speedbird_481_papa
17th Jan 2009, 17:28
well i expect 55 mins of that is just boarding the sheer no of pax! :}

But 25 mins for scheduled airlines is now the norm

GeorgEGNT
21st Jan 2009, 00:05
Any insiders have any information on the Gate Aviation jobs front? I take they have fully staffed themselves in preparation for the EZY contract takeover.
I spoke to the member of staff in charge of HR and she said that all of the candidates would recieve a reply either way. Just a bit confused. Hopefully the jobs fair in march (if they have one!) will open up a few more doors for us outsiders.

sunshine79
21st Jan 2009, 09:33
I really hope the do have a jobs fair but I'm not holding my breath. Apparently Swissport are laying off staff at the moment.

DL93
21st Jan 2009, 20:20
servisair - loosing staff threw tupe/ being finished ( taken into account summer wrk)
swissport - finishing staff
gate avi - fully staffed to cope

i think the jobs fair will only throw up secuirty/AOU :sad::sad::sad::sad:

Ops Guy
21st Jan 2009, 21:19
i think the jobs fair will only throw up secuirty/AOU

Security / Landside Operations is a possibility. Airside Operations, definately not :{

Good luck

GeorgEGNT
21st Jan 2009, 22:50
I'd be happy in airport security to be honest and maybe special assistance, something like that. I would of expected nothing more from the Handling Agents. Derichebourg might have something for us!

ReadyToGo
25th Jan 2009, 10:57
Well I have flown into and out of NCL with Easyjet since the takeover, and it seems like Gate have got their act together pretty damn quick. Their equipment looks to be in good order, and the flight left on time, despite the fact they were clearly training up a new dispatcher as well.

All in all looking very professional. But wow... the airstairs they are using are steep! Very very steep!

Did anyone travel on the day they took over?

ReadyToGo
31st Jan 2009, 14:18
Latest rumour.... (and I repeat rumour)

Gate have secured another significant NCL contract though it hasnt been made public except to the top levels. It is also apparently a "largely seasonal one". (any guesses?)

Also that a second wave of recruitment is in the pipeline for february. They arent going to advertise new jobs, but they will be looking for a few airside jobs fulltime, and the usual seasonal staff too. They will be going through those that applied when the jobs were advertised online first, so there is still hope for those that were ignored at the EZY contract.

RTG!

ReadyToGo
6th Feb 2009, 20:02
Both NCL airport and Servisair both began advertising on their website for seasonal staff today. Disptchers, ramp, passenger agents, security etc...

Get in early folks! Its only likely to be part time, but theres usually plenty of overtime about, and its a good starting point for newbies!

ReadyToGo

sunshine79
7th Feb 2009, 15:22
My appliations have already been sent off. I sent them yesterday as soon as the jobs were advertised.

ramp1
10th Feb 2009, 19:44
job loses at ncl

ReadyToGo
12th Feb 2009, 21:34
Seems funny that Swissport are making cutbacks, while Servisair and gate are recruiting for the busy summer season. Is there a major contract(s) that are likely to change hands.

Swissport have/had some big seasonal contracts, Thomsonfly, Monarch, Eurocypria... does someone upstairs know one of them is going to Gate or Servisair?

RTG!

GeorgEGNT
16th Feb 2009, 00:14
I've sent all of my applications off for this summer and Servisair were the first to respond to me, thus interview tomorrow at 10! Just doing my Servisair research at the moment, need a list of airline customers at Newcastle though. Could anyone help me out on that one?

Good luck to all those applying.

GeorgEGNT
16th Feb 2009, 00:17
What about Onur or Balkan? Will be interesting to see who they've nabbed mind, if it is true of course.

sunshine79
16th Feb 2009, 12:32
I had my interview last week. I was in around 15 minutes. However, if I get offered the job, I'm not going to take it as it's only £5.80 per hour, no shift allowance etc that you used to get a few years ago. I wouldn't be able to manage on the wage. To make it match my current wage, I would have to work 15 hours overtime per week, and that's if any overtime is offered. If you were given a shift allowance, I would take it (if it was offered to me) but not now. You get asked about giving excellent customer service, receiving bad customer service, what you think the role entails, why you want to work for Servisair etc. Good luck!

ReadyToGo
16th Feb 2009, 12:32
Servisair at NCL. (I think...)

Brussels Airways
Aer Lingus
Thomas Cook
Ryanair
Aer Arran
and nearly all dedicated Cargo flights.

Theres a better list somewhere in the "Who handles who" thread.

GeorgEGNT
16th Feb 2009, 19:52
Cheers for that, it wasnt required during the interview, I was expecting a 'what do you know about Servisair?' question but it was generally very customer service focused. My favourite question was 'what are the three key attributes to have as an excellent passenger service agent' I felt I answered it very well and they seemed pleased.

Hopefully I'll get it, would prefer to work for them than the airport itself, they seemed a very nice bunch. But obviously, if I get offered one job I'll snap it up without thinking about it! Its a good chance for the newbies to 'break into the industry.'

Now its time for the long wait :bored:

jamster247
16th Feb 2009, 21:05
yeah you know what the salary is and i have to go there on thrusday for my interview for bagagae handler is that what you applied for what did you ansewar to that question

GeorgEGNT
16th Feb 2009, 21:57
My interview was a lot more customer focused because I applied for passenger service agent. I am guessing your interview will be alot about team work, health and safety, target setting and problem solving? Then again could be wrong.
Think about the job and industry specific in the interview. I wasnt asked, what are three key attributes to deliver excellent customer service, I was asked what makes an excellent Passenger Service Agent, providing good customer service in an airport is different to customer service in a shop for example.
The interview is very relaxed, you are taken up to level 3 with two people, they just give you a chat to start off with, outlining the job and the hours along with the training courses, the interview then started. Pretty textbook stuff, be prepared with situational answers. "When have you given good customer service?" "When have you received bad customer service" and maybe even "When have you worked effectively in a team?" etc etc.
Its very chilled out, just relax and enjoy it.

This is all just my view though, I am not an interviewer or anything. From my interpretation of the interview.
Good luck.

ramp1
18th Feb 2009, 18:25
draging heels on pay offs not nice every body waiting

GeorgEGNT
20th Feb 2009, 19:24
Read the e-mail yesterday saying that I didnt get the Servisair job :( However today I got a phone call from the airport itself saying that they were holding a presentation on thursday, can anybody shed any light on what this actually is? Is there an interview involved?

GeorgEGNT
25th Feb 2009, 20:17
Got my 'presentation' at the airport tomorrow, not quite sure what to expect. Anyone else heard back for the seasonal vacancies?

sunshine79
25th Feb 2009, 21:13
I didn't get the Servisair job either. I was at the NCL open morning yesterday and I really enjoyed it. You start off with an introduction about each other, then an intro about the airport and how it started off to the present day. Key people from different departments go through the roles and the department they work on. You then do a small presentation in groups on excellent customer service. After a break of around 30 minutes, you are then advised if you are through to an interview, which takes place in the afternoon. After the interview you then filli n starter forms just in case you get the job so they can get the ball rolling with your CRB checks and references etc. I left the airport at 4.45pm, so don't plan anything for the afternoon. Enjoy it, I did!!

GeorgEGNT
25th Feb 2009, 21:20
Wow, sounds like a long day. How many people were there and how many got through? I would love to get it so much. I take it you got through to an interview then, well done and good luck.

sunshine79
5th Mar 2009, 10:24
Does anyone know when NCL will be contacting people who had interviews last week?

GeorgEGNT
6th Mar 2009, 12:56
They said around the end of Marchish, however they also said that they wanted some people to be fully signed/ trained up and on standby to start for around the beginning of April, so realistically, probably sometime after the weekend.

ReadyToGo
8th Mar 2009, 20:00
Gate Aviation now seeking seasonal staff!

I wonder if they have anything other than T3 and EZY up their sleeves?

RTG!

Ph1l1pncl
10th Mar 2009, 00:16
Hey, i was at the airport flying to London yesterday and i noticed that a number of planes were parked sideways on stand instead of nose in. Is this just a request from the airlines i.e Easyjet for qucker turnarounds or is it what the airport is starting to implement at quieter times of the day??

Thanks Philip

GeorgEGNT
10th Mar 2009, 00:54
Most likely due to the high winds there have been recently, the aircraft sometimes get parked into the wind.

ReadyToGo
10th Mar 2009, 20:44
I flew in with Eastern today and noticed the same thing. We parked nose-out as well, and there wasn't much of a noticable wind.

RTG

AviationNE
10th Mar 2009, 21:37
If you were travelling on a T3 Saab2000 then it was probably parked nose out due to an unservicable towbar if there was no wind.

ReadyToGo
10th Mar 2009, 22:01
Yeah it was the Saab2000, cheers for clearing that up.

RTG

jamestkirk
11th Mar 2009, 16:31
You can sometimes get problems with starting and/or control surface test problems with the wind from behind. Depending on the strength.

GeorgEGNT
23rd Mar 2009, 21:41
Anyone who had interviews for seasonal work heard anything back from the airport yet?

sunshine79
25th Mar 2009, 10:10
I was offered the job of Security Officer a week gone Friday, but I turned it dwn as I was offered a job closer to home.

GeorgEGNT
25th Mar 2009, 11:00
Haha, ok, doesnt look good for me then who hasnt heard anything :sad:

sunshine79
3rd Apr 2009, 20:46
I just noticed on the NCL website that Swissport are recruiting. I thought they had just laid off staff???

lukeylad
4th Apr 2009, 16:25
True, but there will allways be a need for Seasonal Check In staff during the summer.

ReadyToGo
26th Apr 2009, 13:02
Gate Aviation have picked up the Handling contract for Viking Airways. Twice weekly Dalaman and Heraklion, and occasional charter work.

RTG!

transwede
26th Apr 2009, 19:40
The Viking charters do not appear on any tour operators websites or on airport timetable, anyone know who they are operating on behalf of? Hope they work out better than last years HER charters!

GeorgEGNT
4th May 2009, 07:55
I believe these are being operated with SGX (Saga) flight numbers.

Who's working where then (out of those applying like mad a month or two ago). I'm working night shift with ICS.

ReadyToGo
5th May 2009, 22:09
Have Servisair won Jet2?

I flew out with Eastern yesterday, and the white 757 on one of the remote stands had Servisair steps on it. Or did someone let the new seasonal lads get the airstairs!

RTG!

nclops
6th May 2009, 20:08
The Jet 2 757 has been operating some flights on behalf of TCX so thats probably why servisair stairs were on the a/c. Swissport still have the handling contract for Jet 2.

ramp1
1st Jun 2009, 19:05
ramp at ncl not happy with new ramp manger ???????????

ReadyToGo
2nd Jun 2009, 09:38
Thats very vague ramp1...

Which ramp are you talking about, Servisair, Swissport or Gate?

RTG!

ramp1
4th Jun 2009, 20:20
sorry swissport

ramp1
1st Jul 2009, 16:41
not so good on the ramp shifts and hours getting longer and longer feelings running bad Pay rise still not sorted out the swissport way:mad: