PDA

View Full Version : You're costs to making it?

Francie81
10th Nov 2008, 22:52
Hello Everyone,

To all who made it online as a professional airline pilot with big or small airline company, am just curious to know of you're costs?

My first taste of flying will come next year when I take a trial flight hoping to embark on an exciting career.

Francie

Reluctant737
11th Nov 2008, 00:00
My costs amounted to over £100k, but in retrospect that was unadvisably excessive.

A close friend of mine went from nothing to fATPL for £26,000. Such a low figure is rare, and I am jealous that he is now on an identical salary to me with TCX but with me having double the repayments!! :ugh:

Ballpark figure is generally £30-50k, depending on where you go, what route you take, and who ultimately employs you. For instance, if you continue with this and ultimately come to RYR like I have you can add another £25k on top of that for your type rating/uniform/novelty pen etc etc etc. And get the privilege to work your first six months clearing just around £9k...

All the best! A

D O Guerrero
11th Nov 2008, 12:08
60k fATPL
20k Living costs approx
24k TR
So probably just under 100k.
But I did it the integrated way and this suited me. I don't regret it. Yes I know I could have done it cheaper. But I am now in the RHS having left my old career 22 months ago.

Francie81
11th Nov 2008, 18:03
Thanks for the responses I was guessing them kind of figures and suppose it is all about the €€€€€/££££££ at the end of the day.

Next year I plan to star flying from nothing and I already have 15k behind me to get on the road but I wanna make sure flying is for me before I start spending big, if so I'll relish getting stuck into my PPL:)

Francie81
11th Nov 2008, 18:33
Very good eire great to hear, no disrespect to the ones who knew they had no problem making it but its the likes of yourself I like to talk to. Yep correct and right I definately would be going the modular route also (if flying is for me of course), am just on the basic wage althoguh little or no bills thats why I can save buckets, and next year my company is facing a possible 3 day week which would suit me down to the ground to start out ya'know. Am gonna try my best to avoid debts at all costs because for one am a man who doesn't like to owe in any case.
Eire I don't actually get 'Flying In Ireland' mag do you actually have to order that off the site or can you get it off the shelf?

Thanks,
Francie

thompsonmarkp
11th Nov 2008, 18:37
I finished my ATPL exams just a month back but was interested to hear comments of working while studying for ATPLs. I tried this but found it incredibly hard (was working as a Project Manager). Doing a 5 day week with studying led me to the decission of dropping down to part time hours, working 3 days and studying for 2 extra days. Eventually even this wasn't enough (in my opinion) and I was lucky enough to get redundancy so could dedicate all my time to it.

Good luck though, if you can do it, it keeps the funds coming in..

As a reply to costs, I'm about 40hrs into my IR, have completed the ME and not started CPL yet. To date, this flight training has cost me about £12.5K

Mark.

Finals19
11th Nov 2008, 19:00
ICAO CPL/ME/IR (Canada)
Licence conversion to JAA CPL/ME/IR
1000+ hours total time including 800hrs odd air taxi time

£34K give or take a few quid.

fadedfootpaths
11th Nov 2008, 19:06
About 60K Euros including all flying, accomodation, air tickets(from and to India*6 times) and still dont have a Type Rating:ugh::ugh:

But I did accumulate about 40K miles on my Frequent Flyer Program :ok::ok::ok:

fadedfootpaths
11th Nov 2008, 19:25
And Forgot to mention, I am NOT going to pay for type rating:=:=:=

IrishJetdriver
11th Nov 2008, 19:31
Just to show what a bloody ripoff it has all become.

I did mine in 1998/9. Self improver with 1800hrs nearly all instructing. This meant I had to take enough instruction in order to pass the exams. I did the whole fATPL plus commercial GFT and IR in 5 months and including loss of salary came to 13k.

The system has gone mad for anyone in a similar position.

Francie81
11th Nov 2008, 20:17
Yes eire could you please that would be greatly appreciated, i'll pm ya my address if you happne to find it thanks.

G SXTY
11th Nov 2008, 20:23
Approximate all in costs (including various overpriced bits of plastic, accommodation, pot noodles and cans of Red Bull):

PPL: £6k
Hours building: £10k
ATPL written exams: £3k
CPL/IR (including 10% extra for additional training / resit): £23.5k
MCC: £2.5k

Total: £45k

Didn't pay for a type rating, starting salary around £25k. Will be a long, long time before I start to turn a profit on the investment, but getting rich was never the aim.

Francie81
11th Nov 2008, 20:58
Very good SXTY thats sounds like a well managed route, oh and when I start flying I won't be seeing it as a get rich thing it will be more for the love of flying which to my mind is better than sex.

AlphaMale
11th Nov 2008, 22:32
it will be more for the love of flying which to my mind is better than sex.

Are you sure you're doing it right? :E

IrishJetdriver
11th Nov 2008, 23:29
The one thing they have in common is that it's not a bad thing to pull out early.

BG101
12th Nov 2008, 06:06
Haha... classic!

MIKECR
12th Nov 2008, 08:29
fATPL for just short of 30k going modular. Did a lot of hour building glider towing. Now if I could get just get that damned job! Currently swimming following a couple of interviews. Both jobs(if they ever happen!) will be bonded TR's.

AlphaMale
12th Nov 2008, 10:06
The one thing they have in common is that it's not a bad thing to pull out early.

I like that! :ok:

littco
12th Nov 2008, 10:31
Finished March last year.

0-FATPL £32Kish + MCC £3000

Didn't pay for type rating.

diarmuid8
12th Nov 2008, 10:34
€75k to the school and roughly €5k-€8k on top of that for other things like food!
Looks like I have a pretty good chance of a "paid for TR" at the moment but if that doesn't come off then I will pay the €30k or so for a TR with FR.
I've spent so much already it would be foolish to stop now!

It's enough to make you :yuk:

D8

toeyshear
12th Nov 2008, 13:34
I spent about 20k on ICAO fATPL in NZ Modular.
12K on converting to JAA fATPL
3k on MCC

Ending up with about TT 330hrs.

with lots of fun in NZ.

Tony_Soprano17
12th Nov 2008, 23:08
dublin_eire,

I think your suggestion of reading the article in "Flying in Ireland" is a great idea. However to scan it and send it on is a complete infringment of the copyright.

We all like to promote GA in Ireland so i think ultimately the best thing to do is subscribe to the magazine or buy that particular months issue. This way, money is going back into one of the best things to happen in general aviation in Irealnd. It will also see its continued gorwth and success and in turn the continued quality of articles like you have mentioned.

Francie81
14th Nov 2008, 22:42
Interesting storys indeed.
Ok here is my situation, next year am taking my first trial flight and if flying is my thing am going for it and have already worked it out financially. Am 27 with €17K saved and can save €10K a year in my current position, so am thinking if I want to go for a flying career its very much possible with abit of hard work and will power.
Any advice on this would be greatful?

Thanks,
Francie