PDA

View Full Version : Military Jargon

Beancountercymru
10th Nov 2008, 21:45
How long have "elbow briefs" been in the jargon?

"In one email – dubbed an "elbow brief" and dated 17 April - it is revealed that no-one at RAF Odiham was "aware of the reason why PW was going to the Isle of Wight", the destination of his cousin's three-day stag party"

RAF was misled over Prince William's flights - Telegraph (http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newstopics/theroyalfamily/3405683/RAF-was-misled-over-Prince-Williams-flights.html)

Rigga
13th Nov 2008, 19:06
Intersting question!

I now wonder if you can work an 'Elbow Brief' up a list of anatomical issuances until you eventually make a complete boll@x of it?

...or do you simply "bypass" a variety of limbs to achieve this status?

Pontius Navigator
13th Nov 2008, 19:40
Something to do with rolling up the sleeves of the flying suit.

Normally the brief would be off-the-cuff but with the cuff round the elbow we have an elbow brief.

It can also be used in the debrief phase when the sleeves are normally rolled down. In this case a gentle push with the elbow into the other party's ribs is frequently sufficient admonishment for an inappropriate remark or act during the flight. Hence elbow debrief.

Where the debrief needs to be more robust a straight right to the nose is usually sufficient to reinforce the point.:D

Wensleydale
13th Nov 2008, 19:43
Anything to do with "Joint Operations"?

teeteringhead
13th Nov 2008, 19:59
It used to be known as a "back-pocket" brief, from where it was kept .....

...... but then many senior staff officers can't tell their @rse from their elbow ... ;)

Two's in
14th Nov 2008, 01:34
Isn't it called "Military Jargon" when squaddies from Cornwall go running?

L J R
14th Nov 2008, 01:54
In the non smoking world of today, the plan on the 'back of a fag packet' is misunderstood!

airborne_artist
14th Nov 2008, 08:59
Has the expression Chinese Parliament found its way into general service? It was a favourite of the wearers of droopy moustaches.

Wader2
14th Nov 2008, 10:33
Has the expression Chinese Parliament found its way into general service? It was a favourite of the wearers of droopy moustaches.

Splutter hurmph ^%)&^)&

Whatever next?

Democracy?

BOAC
14th Nov 2008, 11:00
AA - that's a new one to me - can you elaborate?

airborne_artist
14th Nov 2008, 11:14
A Chinese Parliament is an early phase in an op planning process. Once the target has been revealed, and all the key parameters presented, we'd then have an open floor discussion when everyone got an equal hearing, regardless of rank. Once that's done, then the mission commander draws up and presents the orders. The CP is a key Stirling idea, and very productive, and ensures buy-in, and means there's rarely any complaining once the orders have been issued.

Al R
14th Nov 2008, 11:33
Beancountercymru asked: How long have "elbow briefs" been in the jargon?

I do hope AIDU 'contributes' to this thread at some point, because then we can talk about "knee jerk" reactions.

Wader2
14th Nov 2008, 12:02
A_A, seriously, for once, I think CRM is really about CP. A formation might plan a mission but all will be expected to input into the plan.

In the back of a Nimrod, for instance, the sensor operators will have a far better idea how their equipment will work given the prevailing environmental conditions. They would certainly advise against a given tactic if the conditions were unsuitable for that procedure.

Wensleydale
14th Nov 2008, 13:11
Wader,

My experience of those sensor operators who come out of the back of a Nimrod is that they generally ignore all briefs and do what they want anyway.:ouch:

FlapJackMuncher
14th Nov 2008, 13:21
So, based on 'blue-skies' research, all personnel will recieve a 'heads-up'.
Then it's all 'shoulders to the wheel', with plenty of elbow-grease before the inevitable 'elbow brief'.
Having established that 'collars do indeed match cuffs' we can all get it off our chests, before making the customary 'balls-up', followed by the aforementioned 'knee-jerk reaction' when some arsehole puts their foot in it.
Have I missed any vital organs?

touchpaper
14th Nov 2008, 15:47
and then bang our heads against a brick wall while some spineless wonder makes a right c*** up of it all

Airborne Aircrew
14th Nov 2008, 16:50
It can also be used in the debrief phase when the sleeves are normally rolled down.

I though that was one off the wrist...:}

Pontius Navigator
14th Nov 2008, 17:17
t*sser :D

Dengue_Dude
14th Nov 2008, 21:53
For those who don't know, when in a Skype message, type (exactly) (mooning) - yes, the word 'mooning' in brackets.

Always good for a laugh.

TyroPicard
15th Nov 2008, 09:53
elbow brief.. made me think of the Monty Python "nudge nudge, wink wink, know what I mean" sketch...

Pontius Navigator
15th Nov 2008, 11:16
How about briefing on the hoof?

I would guess with the length of time we have had female aircrew there must be some naggers out there.

Hat, coat, scarf ...........

Monty77
15th Nov 2008, 16:57
The Oracle is surely Viz's Finbar Saunders and his Double Entendres.

Oink, fnaar.

billynospares
15th Nov 2008, 17:27
Been in on ramp briefs but never elbow brief. Also seen a lot of knee jerks recently but nothing beats a fluid plan !:ok:

Albert Another
16th Nov 2008, 11:57
Try this for the (almost) definitive guide:

http://www.bannedphrases.co.uk/definitions.php (http://www.bannedphrases.co.uk/definitions.php)

Dengue_Dude
16th Nov 2008, 12:46
Now on a type-rating course in dismal Paris.

This link gave me half an hour or so pure pleasure - it's quite dynamic as there are a sh1t load more that have appeared since I left.

Keep it up guys!

ProM
17th Nov 2008, 13:27
I think the OP deserves a medal for bravery.

For choosing to highlight in his forum name that he is both Welsh and a bean counter.

I suppose a Scottish politician would come outdo that in the unpopularity stakes but not much else for a large portion of the UK contingent on here. OK I mean English contingent

(You're welcome really)