PDA

View Full Version : Ways to become a Pliot?

Ricadoo
10th Nov 2008, 18:10
Hello, guys, after searching around around for a while, I've found this site. All I was wondering is what is the best route to becoming a commercial pliot? I am currently in Secondary school, I don't know the American equalivant, but I'm 15. I've heard a lot about doing the Military route, but I don't know??:ugh:

Lew747
10th Nov 2008, 18:14
Hey and Welcome!

I'm going to do what I first did when I came to this forum and that was to have a look through here:

http://www.pprune.org/professional-pilot-training-includes-ground-studies/131649-archive-reference-threads-posting-guidelines-read-before-you-post-question.html

Many good FAQ's and questions! Anymore problems just post back up here and i'm sure some of our friendly PPRuNe'rs will help out!

I was contemplating the military, but at the end of the day only go into the military if you want to go in the military! I would personally stick to the civilian commericial route. What options have you taken for your GCSE's? Are you thinking about staying on in further education such as doing A-Levels or a Degree?

Lewis :ok:

Ricadoo
10th Nov 2008, 18:23
Sorry for no looking, man:uhoh:.

Well, I've done research on the Military, I'm from Ireland- so it's the Irish Air Corp. It's only 5 years permanent service in the Air Corp, so it's tempting. Currently I'm two years away from sitting my Leaving Cert, which is the final big exam here in Ireland, I suppose it's the same as the G.C.S.E's. I'm studying Biology, Chemistry and Higher Level Maths and English- if these help?

GeorgEGNT
10th Nov 2008, 19:17
Just stick in at school mate get the best possible results you can in subjects your good at and keep an eye on all of your possible routes to dont concentrate on them too much. Things change alot and your still very young and in a much better position than I am, because your still in control of what you read on results day. Good luck with whatever you choose.

Rj111
10th Nov 2008, 19:33
You probably should do physics. I regret not doing it at A2 level myself. Though it may not matter, it can close a few doors which would make life a lot easier for you. You have to maximise your chances in this game.

Lew747
10th Nov 2008, 19:46
Yes any science (pref physics) and math based subjects will put you in good sted!

Remember to work hard at school and get the best possible results you can! I was often deemed a 'boffin' because I put a lot of time and effort into my GCSE's but it greatly paid off and shut a few people up! As mentioned above, you have the time now to govern what you get on your results day, the harder you work now, the better it pays off for you in future!

Oh, have you had, or are you, taking flying lessons by any chance? If not I would recommend you take a trial lesson in a light aircraft just to see what it's like! Xmas is only round the corner, put that on your list to santa :}

Best of Luck! :ok:

Ricadoo
11th Nov 2008, 17:11
Cheers, guys and thanks for your advice. I hear what you're saying, getting stuck in at school pays off. I'm gunna do my best. But me choosing Chemistry instead of Phyisics doesn't matter?

G SXTY
11th Nov 2008, 17:20
Physics is more relevant to flying than Chemistry. You'll learn some concepts which will come in useful later on, particularly when it comes to the ATPL written exams.

Ricadoo
11th Nov 2008, 17:27
Just going back to LEW 747' s post about introductory flights; any of you guys know any good offers for this at cork airport?