PDA

View Full Version : California

Benoit
10th Nov 2008, 10:37
Hi,

I'm new of this really interesting forum. I hold a PPL H JAR and FAA and I'm looking to go in California this winter in order to build hour and travel with familly with heli, off course.
It would be also a good reason for making a turbine transition.
Anyone has a good adress or advice to give for a place to be ?

Thanks for your help.

Happy flights & soft landings

Benet
10th Nov 2008, 12:07
I had a load of fun a couple of years back with Leo Bell in Riverside, although his school was very busy. California is spectacular - although you'll have to ask nicely if you want to fly into the mountains.

When Leo ran out of available R22s I drove to Torrance and rented from South Bay Aviation in Torrance - home of Robinson, of course. You'll have a blast doing transits of LAX - low level along the beach, or straight over the top of the runways.

Happy memories!

rotor67
10th Nov 2008, 15:40
Benoit,

There are a few schools:
Twin Air at VNY
Group 3 Aviation at VNY
JJ Helicopters at Torrance
S.Bay Aviation doesn't rent 22's anymore
Los Angeles Helicopters at Long Beach
Helistream at SNA
Email me if you want: [email protected]

I beleive Group 3 and Twin Air can do a transition course(turbine). Also there is now Boatpix at Torrance, I think the rate is $150/hr.(R-22 Mariner), but it's somewhere around 4 hour min, but not 100% sure on that.
Cheers
Rob

B Sousa
10th Nov 2008, 15:52
Do a search on this site as many have asked the same question in the past. I know Nrfairy did the trip a few years ago. He flew all over the place . Drop him a PM.

Gordy
10th Nov 2008, 21:53
Depending upon what you mean--"travel with family"...do you mean fly around California with your family in a turbine? If so I can help---you will not get tot fly the aircraft solo, however, I can transition you into an L4 with high altitude T/R, and we can fly around the mountains, San Francisco, Tahoe/Reno etc....with your family in back. I will be based in Redding---just south of Mt Shasta (14,000ft) for the winter. PM me if you want to discuss further.

Benoit
17th Nov 2008, 20:44
Hi,

Thanks for the answers and help.
I'm still looking. Apparently as a low hours , it is impossible to rent a 44. At the moment I'm looking a block rate of 20-30 hours with a safety pilot.
I hope the weather is better over there than here :ok:

Happy flights & soft landings

Ben