PDA

View Full Version : General Flying Services- Moorabbin Airport

Sunstar320
10th Nov 2008, 09:01
Hi guys.
I have an interview coming up with GFS in MEL (I have searched threads for answers before you attack me), and Im a only a NEWBIE to the whole thing in terms of understanding the whole process. I dont have much flying experience due to living in the middle of nowhere, but thats all changing soon.

What the hell are they going to ask me?? Anyone been at a interview with this mob before. Im really scared about the questions...

:)

damo1089
10th Nov 2008, 09:24
Providing you are going for an interview because you put Swinburne Aviation on your vtac choices, then yes, I have been to the same thing you are going to. MY experience was the following (note that yours may, and probably will be different):
I walked in and room was full of other people all sitting on tables facing the wall around the room. I sat down, and filled out this form thing, and answered some questions. The purpose of the questions are for the interviewers to see how literate you are, and it gives them basis for asking you questions during the interview. When I went into the interview it was ridiculously easy, there was an ex BA guy and a Swinburne guy in there, they asked me to elaborate on 2 things about myself, which they chose from the form, and filled the ten minute interview time mostly with the BA guy talking to me about himself. Literally three quarters was me sitting there smiling and nodding at this bloke who just kept on rambling. Seriously, just go in there with a cool head, know how the stuff you wrote down will help you in your pilot career, and be able to elaborate on every point. You have to remember that they are not interviewing you for a job, but to make sure your not gonna spaz out when you are in their planes. When I did the course interview FEE help wasn't available for flight training, then I deferred this year and what do you know, they bring it in just intime for me to start! :E The point is, I would assume that the course just made itself a hundred times more competitive than it ever has been, and because of that, I think the interviews will be a bit different. Also another word of advice, although may be too late, is to aim for low 80's for your enter, I know they advise 75 as being ok, but everyone will be going for it this year, and it will push the minimum, I expect, up a fair bit.
Good luck, hopefully see you next year :)

Lowspirited
15th Nov 2008, 08:43
damo1089 do you mean the fly portion of the aviation course can now be put on FEE HELP?

griffy
15th Nov 2008, 10:39
im pretty sure u can as since our CSP will pay for the uni fees, so FEE HELP will pay for the flying costs. btw can some1 comfirm it also includes the costs of the licence tests as my friend says it includes it but just to be sure.:)
Also on the note about the interview, does any1 think we wont be filling a form in a group since we get an individual time slot. im planning to arrive with 5 mins to spare since i have to use pub transport:eek:.
PS: has any1 done the interview on the 13th? if so can they tell us about it?:ok:

Lowspirited
15th Nov 2008, 13:09
it looks like it was changed just recently? anyone know if this includes RMIT as well? or just swinburne?

tsubasa27
16th Nov 2008, 04:33
The 2009 RMIT Diploma of Air Transport should be eligible for FEE-HELP:p, however I don't yet know about the Swinburne Advanced Diploma of Technology (Aviation)http://static.pprune.org/images/smilies/confused.gif.

The Bachelor of Aviation degree and Qantas cadets only Associate Degree are FEE-HELP.

damo1089
16th Nov 2008, 05:27
As of 2009, the Swinburne 'Bachelor of Aviation' and 'Bachelor of Aviation/Bachelor of Business' flight training component of the course is eligible for FEE-HELP, including all licenses, until it is maxed out at around $83000
Check this
Swinburne Aviation - Flying Training (http://www.swinburne.edu.au/feis/aviation/flyingtraining.htm)

Jnr380
5th Dec 2008, 05:14
Forget about RMIT, they're not worth paying $350+ dual, i have a couple of friends that attend and the students that started mid 2008, most have yet to go first solo in 6 months! (thats what i heard anyways). I guess ex-RMIT students will agree on here.

tsubasa27
7th Dec 2008, 04:07
Apparently FEE-HELP won't be available for the RMIT diploma first semester of 2009. I have no idea if it was a government stuff up, RMIT problem or what, but this is dissapointing. Given some of the comments given against RMIT by current and past students on this site, I think Swinny is starting to sound like a lot safer bet!

VTAC Change of Preferences are open until the 22nd of Dec if anybody is so inclined... :cool:

For their Advanced Diploma of Avation, Swinburne TAFE is also meant to advise if FEE-HELP will be available in 2009 but they haven't yet sent an e-mail to confirm, hopefully their program won't meet the same fate. The full Swinburne Bachelor of Aviation and Avation/Business double degree already has HECS-HELP and FEE-HELP available for the various components.

Pilotolatino
23rd Jan 2009, 09:39
flight training is an expensive hobby you're getting yourself into...until you get a nicely paying job (perhaps years after finally completing your training [CPL, MECIR, etc]).

Don't rush in...and don't get sucked in by the hype or allure of a brand name (eg RMIT, Swinburne).

At the end of the day, when you look for a flying job...you need a Commercial Pilot Licence.

It doesn't matter what CASA approved school you go to, you need that ticket...SO...my advice from personal experience:

1) Spend the time talking to schools in the area. Try to see the chief flying instructor. Some mightn't give you the time of day. Spend time talking to the guy/woman. What vibe are you getting from them?

2) avoid schools with overseas or airline contracts. why? Because these schools pour all their resources (instructors and acft) into getting the contract sausages through in minimum time. if they don't, they foot the bill for the extra training....and that leaves you where? bottom of the pile which delays YOUR progress.

3) from 1) and 2) above, look for a school that gives as much personal attention to its students. In this regard small schools are better.

4) check out their kit - what are you flying in?

5) what am I getting for my hard earned cash? compare hire rates...why pay $350/hr for a 172 when other schools charge much less? every dollar saved is more time in the air for YOU

6) glass smasss...if you're going to be looking for a charter job after your CPL...wake up! your training will be the last time you'll see a nice new glass cockpit...once you've completed your training you'll be looking at analogue instruments (with GPS if you're lucky) for quite some time!

7) talk to the instructors and suss them out too. are they happy working there? Instructors that only get paid for the hours they fly will naturally want to only do that - less effort teaching you or briefing you pre or post flight.

8) if you're looking for an instructor job after training, ask if they'll guarantee you a job afterwards. I know at least one at YMMB which does.

9) How long's the flying course take? 12 months should be long enough. Training split over a longer period = more flying lessons required = more $$

10) Remember, flying schools are a business. They are there to make money. You, the customer have a choice.

On most criteria above, RMIT & GFS / Oxford don't cut it. They're all the same company anyway.

Best of luck in choosing a school. All the best for your career.