PDA

View Full Version : Is it possible to fly as co-pilot in the northern sea with CPL+ theory of ATPL(H)?

heliporto
9th Nov 2008, 23:19
Hi there

Can anyone explain to me if it his possible to get a job in the Northern Seas as Co-pilot, with JAA CPL+ all the ATPL(H) exams passed ? (without having flown the hours of the Instrument Rating)

Help apreciated

Thanks a lot

BusinessMan
10th Nov 2008, 02:11
The way I'd heard it, all the flying is under IFR and hence you'd need the IR to work there (certainly Northern N.sea anyway)

chcoffshore
10th Nov 2008, 05:36
You will need a IR.....

Heli-Ice
10th Nov 2008, 12:46
This pretty much says it all:

"JAR-OPS 3.940 Composition of Flight Crew
(b) Pilots. An operator shall ensure that:
(1) Commanders and co-pilots on an
IFR flight hold a valid instrument rating,"

Paramonkeys
10th Nov 2008, 16:29
You don't need the ATPL, the CPL with ATPL theory is fine but as things stand you will need the IR. Sorry and good luck.

Firefly01
11th Nov 2008, 08:39
Yep, afraid not too many options for fresh cpl with low hours. Best options seem to be FI rating for experience and hours (although big downturn in ppl training lately) - or instrument rating and off to the north sea as co-pilot. I believe some firms are still recruiting, one or two more have big recruitment pushes planned for next year too. Good time to do IR due to time of year, general lack of business means most IR schools would be very accomodating at present. Good luck

tophelios
11th Nov 2008, 10:30
As I know, the minimum requested is a CPL/IR, on a ME (multi engine) is better.
A single engine IR is of course cheaper, but for the company you will join, it means a minimum of 5 flight hours to change it to a ME, and it's money...
A theorical ATPL is something you need, but without a MCC and some flight hours on a MP (multi pilot) heli, it's not very interesting for them...
My advice, go for an IR, SE first then ME (maybe they've got some course on Helisim in Marignane), or ME if you've enough money to, and then you can go to the companies working on north sea...(not only the big one's-CHC, Bristow, Bond;;;), check also with the others...( dancopter, NHV...)
Good luck...:ok:

offshore_taxidriver
11th Nov 2008, 13:14
correct me if I am wrong, but I believe for North Sea work a Single Engine IR is just as good as a twin IR because the 5 hours twin time to upgrade your IR is covered with the type rating that you will do on joining

helimutt
11th Nov 2008, 13:24
yes but it usually ends up more than 5 hours though. You're going onto a ME heli, and IR with it. There are a couple of slight differences but a few guys have done it that way.

chcoffshore
11th Nov 2008, 13:27
correct me if I am wrong, but I believe for North Sea work a Single Engine IR is just as good as a twin IR because the 5 hours twin time to upgrade your IR is covered with the type rating that you will do on joining

Your correct:ok: Many have gone down this route. The biggest tick in the box is just to hold a IR.

Ewe Turn
11th Nov 2008, 16:29
I noted from CHC last job openings in the UK that they would consider you if you had a fixed wing IR. Is this still the case?

I have a JAR CPL(H) with ATPL(H) theory credits under the fixed wing/interim system and also have a PPL(A).

I can't afford £35,000 for an IR(H) but can stretch to £12k for an ME IR(A)

I've checked LASORS and have the exam passes and XC experience to allow me to do an ME IR(A).

I'm given serious consideration to this option as I only have 12 months validity left on my exam passes. Has anyone else gone down this route ?

chcoffshore
11th Nov 2008, 16:39
Ewe Turn i think the last post answers your question..........

Ewe Turn
11th Nov 2008, 16:40
I'm just going on the stated requirements on CHC's last ad for co-pilot positions. It said applicants who held an IR(A) would be eligible to apply.

Doing a fixed wing IR would give me something to do this winter and also mean I wouldn't have to do the seven IR exams again if I didn't manage to get a an IR(H) in the next 12 months. Studying for them once was enough:{

Like I said, I don't have £35k to spend and given the current climate even if I had it I'm not sure I would.

Cheers

ET

Ewe Turn
11th Nov 2008, 16:52
I actually have £12k cash set aside for an FI course but give the current economic climate and the fact the clock is ticking on my exam passes I think I'm going to go ahead an do the ME IR(A).

I can then do an ME IR(H) at anytime in the future without having to do the full 40 hour course or any more exams.

I won't hold my breath for a job in the North Sea anytime soon though.

Cheers

ET

Helipilot1982
12th Nov 2008, 08:21
Ewe Turn
The North Sea operator I work for has considered IR (A) holders in the past, but if selected by them, you will have the cost of the IR (H) ungrade taken out of your wages aswell as being bonded for the type rating!!!

Paramonkeys
12th Nov 2008, 11:28
Be careful with the SE IR(H). Although some operators will be happy to include the ME conversion in your training, others won't. Be aware that you will be limiting your options with the SE. If you can afford the ME, go for it.

AnthonyCurran
13th Nov 2008, 22:05
In the middle of preparing for Mod 1 ATPL(H) exams and hope to have training up to CPL(H) finished by end of next year if all goes to plan, would like a shot at the rigs, whats my realistic chances with a fresh CPL and is everyone agreed that the self-funded IR is a must? Also in the opinion of those experienced fellows working off-shore is the economic crisis going to affect them too.

offshore_taxidriver
14th Nov 2008, 07:50
Chance would be a fine thing. No IR is an absolute must. Single engine will cost you between 25k - 30k, multi and your talking around the 40k mark.

VeeAny
15th Nov 2008, 11:18
Ewe Turn

I did the ME IR(A) route merely because when I did my IR(H) all the schools were booked solid and it needed doing in a hurry and the exams where running out.

I don't know your history but make sure you have enough SE (A) Time P1 to qualify for the ME if you don't already have one. I did my ME test then IR test and had to hour build to get the ME issued to put the ME IR onto, I hope that makes sense.

I was only required to do the time on type in the helicopter before test after I got ME IR(A) added to my PPL(A).

I wasn't however going to the North Sea so I can't comment on their willingess or otherwise to accept it.