PDA

View Full Version : At the going down of the sun and in the morning.

ORAC
9th Nov 2008, 10:13
At the going down of the sun and in the morning. (http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=cLaw6lu8png) RIP

airsound
9th Nov 2008, 10:38
Thank you ORAC. And to Eaglehawk37.

A beautiful and timely reminder.

airsound

gar170
9th Nov 2008, 12:15
A fine tribute and a day to remember those who have paid the ultimate price.
But also a day which we should simply say thank you to those that are still serving.

youngskywalker
9th Nov 2008, 12:15
Except for some of the disgusting coments under the youtube clip. Wish I hadnt started to read them. :(

Derek Booth
9th Nov 2008, 20:27
One of my mates, in Kelso is a folk singer/songwriter. He penned this in memory of his late father - a WW11 bomber pilot & POW.

www.soundclick.com/bands/page_songInfo.cfm?bandID=2395&songID=717467 (http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page_songInfo.cfm?bandID=2395&songID=717467)

C130 Techie
9th Nov 2008, 20:49
Except for some of the disgusting coments under the youtube clip. Wish I hadnt started to read them.

Youngskywalker

Many, if not all of those who we remembered today fought and died so that such people are free to make such comments. It's a sad fact that they never see it that way.

Chugalug2
10th Nov 2008, 10:14
youngskywalker:

Except for some of the disgusting coments under the youtube clip. Wish I hadnt started to read them.

I did so too, but note that they are immediately disowned by other posters. The act of Remembrance each year seems to me to be more, not less, well observed than in my day (60's/70's). It was also more of a ritual then I believe, compared to the quiet and sincere form that it takes today. The Armed Forces (what remains of them) are more revered by the Nation, if not by the Government, and for good reason of course. Time to translate such regard into solid form in the shape of decent housing for their families and proper treatment of the maimed and wounded. Only then can we truly "remember them" without laying ourselves open to the charge "hypocrite", as a Nation.

Wingswinger
11th Nov 2008, 07:58
I shall be putting more money in the RBL coffers today.

angels
11th Nov 2008, 08:25
Indeed wingswinger.

Today is the day. The eleventh hour, of the eleventh day of the eleventh month.

cazatou
11th Nov 2008, 08:36
Just off to the Mairie for the local commemoration - an awful lot of names on the Memorial for such a small Commune.

im from uranus
11th Nov 2008, 09:59
We Will Remember Them.

:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D (X 10)

Brian Abraham
11th Nov 2008, 10:15
disgusting coments under the youtube clip
Takes all types. One community here had to clean graffiti sprayed over night on the Cenotaph before holding the service.

Wiley
11th Nov 2008, 11:32
It's been said in years gone by on this very forum when we've discussed this same subject that perhaps the greatest legacy the men we all honoured today was that they left arseholes (sorry, but the only appropriate word in the circumstances) who made such inappropriate comments with a society that gives them the freedom to make such comments.

themightyimp
11th Nov 2008, 22:04
Thank you very much

Guzlin Adnams
11th Nov 2008, 22:21
God bless.
(After watching the three veterans today in London and what's happened over the years I can't say anything more....sorry,
watching the box at the mo, letters from WW1 soldiers to loved ones, most who didn't make it....thinking of my 11 year old son tucked up in bed and my long dead grandad who was a Wipers and won the Military Medal....I can still see the scar on his arm, 10 inches long.........Too much Merlot and dust in my eyes, better go.)