PDA

View Full Version : RNZAF FJ Renaissance?

Squirrel 41
8th Nov 2008, 18:59
Now that Kiwis have had enough of ex-PM Helen Clark (BBC NEWS | World | Asia-Pacific | New Zealand opposition wins vote (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/asia-pacific/7717014.stm)), will this mean that the RNZAF will get back into the FJ business? :cool:

Just wondering - it always seemed a crying shame that the RNZAF never got those dirt-cheap ex-Pakistan F-16s. :*

(Cue: moist eyes from A4 memories at Norwa - Kia Ora 75 Sqn!!!)

S41

henry crun
8th Nov 2008, 19:22
Although I have not seen it in print, I am told that the National have stated they will not resurrect the strike wing.

I think it is possible the Macchi will be brought back into the training role, but that is just a guess.

ZK-NSJ
9th Nov 2008, 00:29
most of the former fj pilots have now flown the coup, to start from scratch would take years

Oz_in_oz
9th Nov 2008, 06:35
Not much chance of a resurrection - far too much cost involved I reckon!

Runaway Gun
9th Nov 2008, 07:45
Regardless - "THE KING IS DEAD !!" :ok:

GOLF_BRAVO_ZULU
9th Nov 2008, 09:26
Perhaps a salutary lesson in what "capability holidays" can lead to.

cribble
9th Nov 2008, 13:33
I marched up Queen Street on the day of the protest a few years ago (not a bad turnout) and listened very carefully to the Nat spokesman (having heard but not listened to the cannon-fodder junior Lab MP who also spoke) :

There was no committment (by the Nat) to restoring the teeth to the RNZAF. The wisdom of the day thought it would take about 15 yrs to start again from scratch. It would also cost many bucks.

I'm afraid that the treason of that day will stand. The senior officers on watch at the time will, no doubt, also have rationalised their complicity. I noted at the time that, unlike in the 60s, there was no honourable senior officer "falling on his sword".

:mad: Always...

XV277
9th Nov 2008, 19:30
National have promise a Defence White Paper - so they don';t have to commit to anything up front!

Squeezer
11th Nov 2008, 09:50
They [National] are in coalition with with a far-right, pro NZDF party in ACT who've been strongly in favour of reinsatating the MB-339C Aermacchi (half of the airframes) to its pre-1999 role of advanced training* to 'bridge the cap' so to speak between ab inito and front line types. The lease on the KingAirs runs out next year.

*Prior to 1999, all RNZAF pilots recieved some training on the Aermacchi.

-Good to see the Scots play some good footie last week mate.

antipodean alligator
27th Nov 2008, 09:09
Plenty of slightly used Piggies available in this parliamentary term (Dec 2010);)