PDA

View Full Version : Training during recession

BelArgUSA
8th Nov 2008, 18:23
This is not a "doom and gloom" thread - well to the contrary.
It is a suggestion for the many of you who want to inundate the population of unemployed pilots.
xxx
Many of you are in UK and Europe, so you dream of JAR training.
And getting hired by your airline next door.
Well, quite difficult with a downturn.
Especially if your JAR "fATPL" soon is no longer current at the time things get better.
xxx
My suggestion is as follows. Consider the FAA training.
Do the CPL, IR and ME training.
Option, do the CFIA and CFII, and/or a CE-500 type rating therafter.
All of the above can be done in as little as 12 months, 14 months at worst.
Note that a FAA CPL/IR never expires. Recurrent training takes a couple of days.
CE-500 (a jet rating) does not expire either. You can do a refresher in 2 days.
Same for the CFI/CFII, valid 2 years, can renew with 2 days refresher course.
xxx
JAR fATPL (with type rating) refresher course are extremely expensive.
So, the FAA option seems to be more practical.
You will say "but FAA is not valid here"... true...
But fact is - are you so certain to have an opening in the airline of your dreams...?
You might have to take a job (with your JAR or FAA licence) in another part of the world anyway.
But with the FAA licence and program as described, you will pay a fraction of a JAR fATPL.
xxx
Just my advice as an "old fart".
I did my career with a FAA certificate. Ending up as 747 captain.
Sure, my friends with Sabena laughed at me... FAA... ha, ha, ha...!
Where are they now, these Sabena boys, no better than me...
xxx
Good luck -
:ok:
Happy contrails

fadedfootpaths
8th Nov 2008, 19:06
Well, Thats really useful Information. I hope the blokes who are planning to commence their training in the near future, give a little consideration to BelArgUSA's Post.

Good Luck and Happy Landings to all:ok:

sharksucker
9th Nov 2008, 18:39
Totally agree to BelArg.
Did my JAA fATPL in 2001, exactly into the downturn. Landed 3 years later my first Job, but not in Europe. 4 years later, still flying outside of Europe and no idea, if I ever will be flying a JAA reg. Keeping my precious JAA current is headache and waste of money.
A FAA ticket would have worked out as well and could have saved big bucks for me..
But still lucky to have the JAA in addition to the FAA and local one where I fly, so keeping all doors open.
One thing to consider for Europeans:
There is no other place in the world then europe, where a Rookie can jump into the right seat of an airliner with less then 200 hrs TT...
If this is a good thing would be another topic..
Cheers

eikido
10th Nov 2008, 06:13
Are you sure it takes 12 months to do FAA CPL,IR,ME?

I heard you can do FAA PPL and CPL ME/IR in around 4-5 months.

Eikido

fadedfootpaths
10th Nov 2008, 06:29
Hi Eikido,

It solely depends on the school you goto. I know a few friends who went to Texas and got their FAA CPL/IR/ME in just 4 months and 2 girls who went to San Diego and Minnesota Who took almost a year to complete.

And, I am sure BelArgUSA took the worst of the worst possible conditions and said 12 - 14 months:E:E

Arun:ok:

BigGrecian
10th Nov 2008, 17:41
The reality of this is that for the vast majority, never get the job on their FAA licence. Those which do however, normally do pretty well out of it. However, the chances are pretty slim. I've seen at least 10 people do this - all still trying.

Also converting is generally ridiculously expensive - and most students spend just as much as the full JAA route after conversions.

Rj111
10th Nov 2008, 19:42
My concerns with that is that is that it would be hard to get a job with your FAA liscense. And i have often heard that UK airlines often want you to have been trained here. So assumingly you would have to have more hours to copensate.