PDA

View Full Version : PPL/NPPL medicals after cardio vascular treatment

Hants Eaglet
8th Nov 2008, 11:12
Anybody out there who has had a similar experience to me, or can offer a bit of advice, before I embark on a battle with the medics?

Background:

Out of the blue a couple of years ago, a few weeks after passing an ATCO's unlimited Class 1 medical, I got angina (say's something for the predictive ability of the aeronautical medical examination!).

CAA medical branch immediately pulled my ATCO licence and PPL. I was subsequently very succesfully treated by stenting to widen a blocked artery and, following numerous tests (stress ECGs, cardiac ultrasounds, blood tests etc.), my cardiologist says that the blood supply to my heart is fine. I no longer suffer from angina. Also I'm on all the usual preventative medications and have taken lifestyle measures to try to ensure no recurrence. I feel far better protected and monitored now than I ever was when I had a full class 1 and, apart from minor, but annoying, drug side effect problems, I feel as fit as a fiddle - with low cholesterol, which was never monitored before by the CAA! I have a pretty active lifestyle too.

Indeed I have regained a class 1 medical (with a proximity endorsement) for work, but I know that the CAA medical branch are reluctant to issue a class 2 for a PPL. Consequently I'm flying on a class 1 NPPL (no non pilot passengers), my GP issued the medical certificate soon after my treatment after taking advice from the anonymous NPPL medical advisor.

I would rather like to be able to take passengers again, as flying alone most of the time can be a bit tedious. Looking at the PPL/NPPL cardiac protocols I'm sure I satisfy the requirements for at least a class 2 NPPL, if not a PPL.

From the experience of nearly 40 years in aviation I know that the CAA medics are a rather cautious bunch, perhaps not unreasonably, and that GPs signing pilot medicals don't really have a clue, but seem to be scared of the consequences of signing anybody off who hasn't got apparently perfect health.

Before I go in with all guns blazing, knowing that all the cards are on the doctors' side, is there anybody out there who has ploughed this furrow before and could offer me some advice and/or encouragement? Anybody out there who has experience of the CAA medics' attitude towards stents (as opposed to full bypass surgery)? Should I go to an AME for a med cert rather than my GP?

Also anybody know anything about the medical certificate requirements for the US LSA licence? I used to fly over there quite a lot and would like to do so again.

Thanks everybody.

fernytickles
9th Nov 2008, 13:33
Sorry to hear about your predicament, glad to hear you are fit again.

Can't help you with the CAA medical, but I do know I had a couple of colleagues when I worked for an airline in the UK who had gone through heart bypass surgery and got their 1st class medicals back again. You may get more response if you post this on the medical section. I'm sure it has been brought up before, did you try a search?

For your LSA question, try this website -
Learn to Fly - EAA Sport Pilot and Light-Sport Aircraft Information (http://www.sportpilot.org/) And if you don't find the answer you are looking for, try the "ask the expert" section.

Good luck, and when you come to Oshkosh to shop for your new LSA aeroplane, let us know :ok:

AMEandPPL
9th Nov 2008, 14:06
I, too, am sorry to hear of your predicament . . . . everyday stuff in my job I'm afraid !

But the bit that surprises me is
Indeed I have regained a class 1 medical (with a proximity endorsement) for work, but I know that the CAA medical branch are reluctant to issue a class 2 for a PPL

How do you know that ? Has it actually been stated ?

My experience ( AME = 23 years) is that once the kind folk at the "Belgrano" are persuaded that any kind of professional class 1 certification can be re-considered, albeit with a "non-solo" limitation, then they are USUALLY willing also to consider the issue of an unrestricted JAR class 2 for recreational flying. There may, of course, be individual reasons why that is not the case.

The "non-solo" limitations are different on UK and JAR certificates. For pilots, on a JAR class 1 medical, the limitation is "OML" (= Operational Multicrew Limitation); for ATCO's, on a UK class 1 medical, it's a "proximity" endorsement, as you mentioned. Same thing in principle.

Might be worth while asking the Medical Dept (politely !) about the possibility of a recreational JAR class 2. Good luck !

Gertrude the Wombat
9th Nov 2008, 19:39
From the experience of nearly 40 years in aviation I know that the CAA medics are a rather cautious bunch, perhaps not unreasonably, and that GPs signing pilot medicals don't really have a clue, but seem to be scared of the consequences of signing anybody off who hasn't got apparently perfect health.
The documents for the GP state very clearly that the GP is not being asked to assess whether you are medically safe to fly. S/he is being asked whether they would pass you to drive HGVs. The CAA are deliberately trying to avoid GPs who don't know anything about flying denying people the right to take passengers unnecessarily ... according to the documents, at least.

I currently have my medical suspended by the CAA for cardiac reasons. However my GP is perfectly happy to sign the NPPL declaration so I can take passengers.

VictorGolf
10th Nov 2008, 16:16
Me too. Harefield, stent, NPPL (OK to drive a car but no pax). Stress test to Level 4 (I think). Back to GP. Agrees I'm OK to drive an HGV so he signed me off to fly pax on an NPPL. Duly signed off by the hospital and GP continues to be happy to sign my declaration. A very good system.

xrayalpha
11th Nov 2008, 08:51
Hi all,

NPPL is NOT an HGV medical.

NPPL medical is the standard for drivers of commercial minibuses etc. Not all "commercial" licences are HGV - that is a much higher skill and medical level.

I have two former students, now fully qualified.

One had a quadruple heart bypass - NPPL SSEA with passenger, no problem apart from a run on the treadmill every year.

The other has had a heart transplant!

No exam by GP needed - he has all the exams he needs twice a year because of the heart transplant. All the notes are then sent to GP for his records. So Willie's GP then very happy to sign.

Skip all this Class 1/2 stuff if you want private flying and have any medical problems.

Get an NPPL medical, get back in the air and keep current with your flying.

Then worry about a medical that will allow you night flying, IMC, IFR, trips to France etc.

I am aware you also mentioned commercial ratings, but this a the private flying forum and I want to encourage as many people as possible to fly.

If you are fit enough to drive to the GP, you are fit enought to fly!

Very best,

XA