PDA

View Full Version : Media Blunders

Old Fella
8th Nov 2008, 06:35
ABC 7.30 Report transcript on ABC TV Web page is indicative of just how wrong the media can be. Reporting on 50 years of C130 Hercules service in the RAAF the header reads, in part, "C130 Hercules Jet Fighter". One would have thought the once impeccable quality reporting on ABC would at least get the heading correct. Alas, even the spelling of aircraft types was wrong in a couple of instances. CONVAR for Convair, KARIBU for Caribou. Even the Loadies were mis-named as "Payload Masters" instead of Loadmasters. :ugh::ugh::ugh:

Beatriz Fontana
8th Nov 2008, 09:01
Old Fella,

You'll probably get more response from a thread entitled "When the Media Get It Right".

[Stoney silence.... tumbleweed passes...]

Hercules jet fighter is pretty good going, though :}

Old Fella
8th Nov 2008, 09:35
Beatriz Fontana

If I headed it "When the Media get it right" I would probably have nothing to write about!!!

Runaway Gun
8th Nov 2008, 13:48
Reminds me of the NZ Terror Incident, when crowd at a Rugby match complained about the low flying terrorist aircraft they saw. Apparently they knew it was an Enemy Jet Fighter about to commit mayhem (after the disbandment of the Skyhawks), and not simply a RNZAF Hercules under ATC control....

Old Fella
8th Nov 2008, 13:58
One thing I learnt very early was never make a quote to the media. They will very often mis-quote what was said and never give a radio station anything other than a live to air interview. The editors can play havoc with pre-recorded stories.

Thelma Viaduct
8th Nov 2008, 14:29
People get bashed on here for being 'spotters', then the media get bashed for being not being 'spotter' enough, then you've got the acronym 'pax' elevated sense of status brigade.

How much of a 'spotter' do you have to be to meet the acceptable PPRuNe criteria, 75%, 85%, 90% ???

Just wondering before I send in my application.

Two's in
8th Nov 2008, 14:40
One thing I learnt very early was never make a quote to the media. They will very often mis-quote what was said and never give a radio station anything other than a live to air interview.

Rather rashly gave an interview to BFBS some years back (with CO's blessing), subsequent segment was virtually unrecognisable, but clearly my words, made me sound like a complete window-licker. In fairness, all I usually have to do to achieve the same effect is open my mouth, but I learned a valuable lesson about letting others make you look like a moron when you already posess that particular gift yourself.

spheroid
8th Nov 2008, 15:06
You have to remember where the media get their information from. The press are merely the messengers....

I Blame the press Office. Does anyone know how many people work in the MOD Press office (about half of them.... ). No, really. How many people are there in the MOD press Office? 2....3... may 6 or 7... any one?

Beatriz Fontana
8th Nov 2008, 20:54
Here's (http://www.mod.uk/DefenceInternet/DefenceNews/PressCentre/MediaEnquiries.htm) a starter for ten, spheroid...

Load Toad
9th Nov 2008, 02:30
When you know a little about a subject the glaring errors made in the media are obvious and you roll your eyes and discount the story because it is not accurate. If they can't even Google to find out what type an aircraft is - they must have pretty low standards.

But on all the other stories where you aren't informed about the subject - well - people tend to believe that stuff.

KeepItTidy
9th Nov 2008, 02:44
Media Blunders

Chris Moyles says X factor is ok , Chris Moyles clings to media atttention , he cant give us cheap things , we listen to pish moyels says

I like Scotland. forget *****

enginesuck
9th Nov 2008, 09:35
wow how pissed were you last night??!!

Ewan Whosearmy
9th Nov 2008, 13:17
Five recently had a 'Top Trumps' programme that compare the AH-64 with the Augusta 109.

Asides from the fact that the guy who visited the AH unit in the US was a complete and utter tool (embarrassingly so), he awarded the Apache top trump points because it carries, and I kid you not, "12,000 rounds of 30mm ammunition". What a knob.