PDA

View Full Version : RAF Shepherd Stroke Pilot

PPRuNeUser0183
8th Nov 2008, 01:55
BBC NEWS | England | North Yorkshire | Blind pilot guided to land by RAF (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/north_yorkshire/7715345.stm) :ok:

Jofm5
8th Nov 2008, 02:47
So nice to see a bit of good news...

av8boy
8th Nov 2008, 04:33
Should Wing Cdr Paul Gerrard ever be in Southern California and desire a beer, he should contact me. Amazing. I've run no-gyro PARs and ASRs from my comfy ATC chair, but I pale in comparison. This was exemplary and you are indeed fortunate to have such talent and willingness to help in the RAF. I now remember why we call it "the service."

Well done.

Dave D

India Four Two
8th Nov 2008, 07:09
Just in case anyone else missed it (I did first time around), below the picture of a 182 on the BBC page, is an audio recording of the talk down by Wing Commander Gerrard.

stingray320
8th Nov 2008, 07:47
well done james all down to good ab-initio training.

captjns
8th Nov 2008, 08:02
3 cheers for Wing Cmdr Gerrard. Read about it and saw it on the BBC... Extraordinary!!!!:ok::D:ok::D

JennyB
8th Nov 2008, 08:42
The RAF now employ shepherds to stroke pilots? Never happened in my day.

Chequeredflag
8th Nov 2008, 10:05
You sound critical of what they did?

Knight Paladin
8th Nov 2008, 10:09
Oh dear, methinks someone missed the joke there.....

Lister Noble
8th Nov 2008, 12:24
Wing Commander Gerrard was fantastic,and so was the stricken pilot,I listened to the playback and was amazed at how calm it seemed.
I really think the RAF pilot deserves some sort of official recognition for his action.:D:D:D
Thank goodness the civilian pilot was near airborne professional help when it happened,but what would happen to the majority of us if it happened near home?
My wife asked me and I said I hope it never happens,we are near RAF and USAF fighter and freighter bases but these aircraft would not be suitable, I suppose they could use a helicopter,as we have these nearby?
Lister