PDA

View Full Version : Does the name make a difference (the four big schools)?

NWeeks
7th Nov 2008, 18:28
This is more a question for the recruiters really....

I'm looking to book my place for a continuous modular CPL/ME/IR from around March, when I complete groundschool.

There seem to be a number of people jumping ship from the school on the flying side for varous reasons, some discussed in other threads.

When it comes to looking for work, how much difference will the name make if I can say I've done all the training from start to finish with the same school (of the big four)?

Would I be better saving a couple of grand and going elsewhere, or it is really worth having a reference from a brand named school as opposed to "Tom, Dick and Harry's Flight Training"?

Right now I'm totally stuck, and as this is meant to be a carreer I'd like to make as many informed decisions as I can!

Thanks if you can help me in the 'right' direction!

NW

eikido
7th Nov 2008, 18:44
Hey, it seems you just registered to write this question.

I think you should give it some time to read around this section of the forum for you to realize soon is not a good time to start training.
Here is a thread you must read.
http://www.pprune.org/professional-pilot-training-includes-ground-studies/335548-growing-evidence-upturn-upon-us.html
And also the thread called growing evidence the downturn is upon us.

You might know all of this already so i'm asking you, what is your plan the near future? Because almost no fresh fATPL students will get jobs any time soon.

I might sound negative mate, but i wrote all this for your sake.

Give it a second thought before you jump into any major training soon.
You might even have to redo the ATPL theory if you want to be a fresh fATPL pilot when the hiring starts again.

Also, i was going to start training this January to April but cancled it because it doesn't look good.

Eikido

GIZZAJOB
7th Nov 2008, 20:02
Just out if interest , why would someone with a fATPL need to redo the theory ????? has JAR suddenly gone out the window

eikido
7th Nov 2008, 20:47
Im sorry if i was unclear. I was thinking since he has the atpl theory done and should wait, he will probably exceed the checkrides for the cpl and ir which must occure within 36 months.

Frankly Mr Shankly
7th Nov 2008, 22:25
I can recommend Tom, Dick and Harry's Flight Training, I'd be happy to go with them, save a few quid. Although Harry's run off with Dick's missus so it's not a happy ship at the moment, and they're looking to replace Harry so if there's any FI's out there looking for work...........:)

Frankly Mr Shankly
7th Nov 2008, 22:34
Sorry for the facetious answer NWeek, but really right now, I don't think it makes a happeth of difference where you train with the job market the way it is. Even in the best of times I personally don't think it matters, but there's a whole other debate. Now, modular or integrated, discuss.........:bored:

Afraz
7th Nov 2008, 22:54
I personally dont think it makes a diffrence where you train. Airlines employ students from various diffrent FTO's, not just the big four. Look at SFC for example. Its a pretty obscure FTO but students from SFC fly for major british airlines like Ryanair, Easyjet, BMI, Thomson etc etc. Same goes for BCFT, BGS & Bristol Aviation.

I agree 100% with the post above this one.

johnodonovan
7th Nov 2008, 23:56
hey dude from sweeden i never heard somebody so negative.. i know a guy from my school who started on 737-800 last monday, i know guys who just got sent on type ratings for thomas cook, ryanair just exercised 36 options on top of 140 orders easyjet have 140 orders. go to ryanair.com click pilot recruitmet they are hiring, :ok:

you dont always have to be so negative:=

clear prop!!!
8th Nov 2008, 03:58
Johnodonavan

go to ryanair.com click pilot recruitmet they are hiring,

don't think you've quite grasped what's going on out here in the real World.

A closer look at Ryanair's site will tell you..Since we already have more than treble the applications we require for our possible future needs we have decided to impose a recruitment freeze until further notice.

G SXTY
8th Nov 2008, 08:27
Some airlines have relationships with some schools, which can enable suitable CVs to go straight to the top of the pile. Such a relationship can be an advantage, but just because you train with x doesn't mean you'll walk into a job with y.

Right now it's a pretty academic point, as no-one is recruiting in any significant numbers, and the situation will almost certainly get worse - probably much worse. I would strongly recommend delaying CPL/IR training for at least 2, preferably 3 years. You have 36 months from passing the last ATPL exam to get the IR, so the timing works.

Qualifying in the middle of a recession is a very bad idea.