PDA

View Full Version : When holding a SPL can you get hours if...

LambOfGod
7th Nov 2008, 05:28
I didn't want to ask the question in the title as it may shorten it and then you wouldn't read it:).
Sorry if this has been asked before...

If someone hold's there student pilots license and they go 'flying' with a friend who has there PPL. Can the student pilot fly and log hours for it. Or even if your dad is a commercial pilot working for a 'major' airline, can he hire a C150 and teach you to fly? Clocking hours. When you learn to drive a car you dont need a certified driving instructor there. I know thats driving though... Not flying:uhoh:

I also sappose the rule that pilot in command must be on the right-hand side, err...:ugh:Effects that.

Whirlygig
7th Nov 2008, 06:09
No, unless they also hold an Instructor Rating. If they do, the hours can be logged but they won't count towards a licence, rating or qualification as they must be conducted through authorised flight training schools. It's not like driving.

As for P1 being on the right hand side, it depends on the aircraft!

Cheers

Whirls

Charlie Foxtrot India
7th Nov 2008, 12:12
As a student pilot you have to be authorised by an instructor to fly as pilot in command. So ask the instructor who is authorising you what you are allowed to do and be sure to comply with it. Suggest you study the Civil Aviation Regulations, it's all in there.

First scenario can be done if you have passed a GFPT.

Second scenario, only if your dad is an instructor and the flight is conducted through a flying school's Air Operators Certificate which employs him.

Third scenario, the pilot in command must occupy a control seat. This would normally be the left as a student but again, check with your authorising instructor.

xchox
8th Nov 2008, 03:34
In addition to this question, If you own shares in a plane, can you log the hours towards your full PPL if your flying with a certified instructor?

I know you cannot rent the plane and do it, but I was informed if you own the plane or shares in it, you can do your training on it as long as you have the instructor lined up!

Anyone?

Whirlygig
8th Nov 2008, 07:26
You can use your own aircraft (or even one rented from somewhere else) but,depending on national rules, in the UK, the tuition would still have to be operated through a Registered Training Facility or FTO.

Cheers

Whirls