PDA

View Full Version : How do I get flying again??????

902Jon
6th Nov 2008, 12:13
For those of you that dont know me, I lost my medical & licence in 2005 due to newly diagnosed diabetes (I am not a fat boy either).
I managed to get my licence back at the end of last year (with a 2 crew restriction), following a change in JAA medication policy, and have been trying to get work ever since.(Not even an interview). Due to my geographical location (UK midlands) I have been looking for a touring job either in the UK or overseas.

Next month my I.R will expire. With no finances to pay to renew it myself, it seems like I am going to be unable to get any work without it.

As a 20 year professional pilot I have a great range of experience, but employers dont seem to want to know. My medical condition seems like the obvious reason - however I have a CAA class 1 medical (not easy to get back) that means I am more monitored than most other pilots. I have never had any sort of diabetic incident (I was only diagnosed due to an infection). I know two people with class 1 medicals in the last couple of years that have just dropped dead from heart attacks - luckily not while working.

I apologise if this sounds pathetic - I have tried all routes I know.
All I want to do is to go to work and earn a wage to help pay the mortgage.

Any suggestions gratefully received.

902Jon
6th Nov 2008, 13:47
No I dont have an instructor rating - I couldn't teach anyway as I have to fly with a qualified captain or co-pilot.

darrenphughes
6th Nov 2008, 14:35
I don't really have any suggestions for you but I was just wondering what the approximate cost of renewing the IR is in the UK?

misterbonkers
6th Nov 2008, 14:49
London HEMS is two crew and I believe pilots need IR. They were advertising recently.

How about Premier (S76), or JCB (your neck of the woods).

As for the NATS comment - not a bad idea. Appreciate your thread was 'how do I get flying again' but for info my friend is just about to qualify on Tower at an oop north airport (salary in the region of 30 to 40k) and has a radar course pencilled in (20k more!) so the money is there (not bad compared to some of the london based taxi driver salaries!)

I don't know how the medical would work but you normally have an assistant at busier places and there is normally at least 3 ATCOs working at once at this particular airport (they try rotate 1 tower, 1 radar, 1 break) so I guess there is a second crewman available should a medical problem manifest itself whilst you are at work.

Im not convinced its a good time to get into instructing at the moment as there is very little work around.

902Jon
7th Nov 2008, 08:27
Misterbonkers

1. London HEMS - not an option.
I was a HEMS captain for 51/2 years before losing my licence. Following a contractual dispute regarding my Loss of Licence Policy with the NHS (non-aviation) management, I am not welcome. Also due to HEMS shoe-string aviation budget, the lack of IFR training & testing time is why I am in this situation now. (Last IR renewal December 2002 - loss of licence April 2005!).

2. JCB/PremiAir - nothing available.

3. NATS ATCO
(i) Requires unrestricted Class 1 medical to start
(ii) Am too old to start
(iii) Ex-wife an ATCO:E

misterbonkers
7th Nov 2008, 09:01
your welcome.

902Jon
7th Nov 2008, 09:12
Misterbonkers

My apologies if that appeared ungrateful

I really appreciate the help & support.

902jon

misterbonkers
7th Nov 2008, 09:49
Ok - no worries.

Can you get an FAA medical and convert to FAA CPL(H) IR? Would that give you some options? Then you could tour overseas.

Also, when was the last time you discussed your medical issue with the CAA as things change all the time. I know of a chap who was told by the CAA he couldn't get a medical due to his eyesight under age of 25 (end of) BUT he found out from an optician friend of his the rules were changing the following week! - he had a Class 1 medical the following Thursday and passed - the CAA didn't even tell him the rules were changing. Charming!

902Jon
7th Nov 2008, 10:11
I have & can hold a UK Class 1 medical - albeit restricted to 2 crew operations. My problem is when my IR lapses I will be unable to get 2 crew work - unless anybody knows of any 2crew VFR operations? I was hoping to get overseas touring work - but none has been forthcoming.

I could get a FAA cpl/IR but financially (1) I can't afford it having not worked for 31/2 years and (2) I'm not sure if there would be any advantage against paying for a JAA type rating & IR renewal.

nickyjsmith
7th Nov 2008, 18:11
Hi Saw this and thought of you, Tiger are advertising for IR sim instructors. Could be able to earn some pennies and maybe your renewal. Also, they have some 109's.

Good luck.

Nick

Helicopter Pilot Jobs UK Tiger Helicopters Ltd Herefordshire simulator instructor flight instructor charter pilot instrument pilot maintenance engineer (http://www.tigerhelicopters.co.uk/jobs.htm)

Camp Freddie
8th Nov 2008, 17:48
hey Jon,

nobody has mentioned the obvious for 2 crew i.e. north sea.

if you are the person I think you are, didnt you use to work for Bond ?

presumably you have tried the "big 3" ? or not

regards

CF

WhoKnows??
9th Nov 2008, 08:42
I believe that the advantage of obtaining an FAA medical would be that such a medical might be unrestricted, as opposed to your restricted JAA medical. The restriction could be putting overseas companies off as the overseas CAAs may not approve a validation, given the restriction. What types do you have previous experience on?

902Jon
11th Nov 2008, 12:15
First - a big thank you to those that have contacted via this forum to offer their help. It is really appreciated. I haven't got anywhere yet but have at least some leads to chase up on.

Camp Freddie - Check your p.ms

WhoKnows
I have 1800 hrs/ 4 years SK76A+/B offshore
- 1200ish Sa365N offshore & EMS
- 1000 hrs MD902 EMS
Total time just over 8000hrs (Bell 206 & As355F the remainder)

Thanks again

chcoffshore
11th Nov 2008, 13:03
Humberside are looking for S76 pilots!

helimutt
11th Nov 2008, 13:34
Humberside would like S76 drivers but I doubt there are any jobs advertised.:hmm:

902Jon
11th Nov 2008, 15:49
Helimutt

Check your p.m's

Jon

chcoffshore
11th Nov 2008, 16:16
Humberside would like S76 drivers but I doubt there are any jobs advertised.http://static.pprune.org/images/smilies/yeees.gif

Well why don't you check out the chc site then:hmm: