PDA

View Full Version : A340 Engine Start

BleedingOn
6th Nov 2008, 12:07
Our company have come up with a two eng taxi checklist for use with long taxi delays. We still have to start all four initially then we can shut down 1 & 4 with the green elec pump running. It took a long time for this checklist to be sorted out with AI.

I saw a Qatari 346 taxying away from the pushback the other day at LHR having only started 2 & 3 and it set me thinking what other operators are doing.... over to you

Canuckbirdstrike
6th Nov 2008, 12:18
Have operated the A340 for years with a two engine taxi out checklist that allowed us to only start two engines or start all four and then shut down two if departing a congested area. As long as you are not too heavy for taxi out it works very well. Taxying in on two is very easy to do.

BleedingOn
6th Nov 2008, 16:00
Thanks Canuck. Which 2 do you start?

I'm wondering if it's just our company that is worried that we'd try to take off with 2 engs!

RolandPullthrough
7th Nov 2008, 03:55
Don't forget that the system architecture of the 345/6 is quite different from the 342/3. The 5/6 have alternate nose wheel steering available so not running the green system pumps isn't quite the problem that it is in the originals.

FCOM 3.04 should detail the applicable procedure with all the good notes about what not to screw up.

divinehover
7th Nov 2008, 14:13
I agree with the last post. Follow the FCOM procedure. I cannot see the benefit of deviating from it.

B747-800
7th Nov 2008, 14:26
Our company have come up with a two eng taxi checklist for use with long taxi delays. We still have to start all four initially then we can shut down 1 & 4 with the green elec pump running. It took a long time for this checklist to be sorted out with AI.

I saw a Qatari 346 taxying away from the pushback the other day at LHR having only started 2 & 3 and it set me thinking what other operators are doing.... over to you

its a long time procedure in our company just be careful when turning, you might get off the centreline

BleedingOn
8th Nov 2008, 19:53
Thanks all. Understood re alternate nws. We operate both -300 and -600 flavours so guess they wanted a coverall failsafe procedure. Any more thoughts keep 'em coming. Also, which 2 engines are you guys starting up and taxying around with?

Canuckbirdstrike
8th Nov 2008, 21:13
Bleeding On:

We start engines 1 & 4, then when required engines 2 & 4. If you follow the FCOM procedures that require all engines to be started before completing any part of the before takeoff checklist then you are unlikely to try and depart with engine(s) shutdown.

If you design your SOP's correctly engine out taxi is not an issue. It is a tool that need to be used when appropriate. I have used it many times on many aircraft types and it works just fine.

I always approach this with the view of safety first and then if I can save fuel during any phase of flight I might be able to use it later in the flight. If I don't use it then the financial bottom line and my job security are improved.

The prbolem is too many urban legends about engine out taxi cloud pilots decision making processes.