PDA

View Full Version : Self Fly Hire price comparison

nadders
5th Nov 2008, 21:17
I am still battling to find relatively 'cheap' self fly hire, of something with four seats in my area but am not having a deal of luck. :ugh:

With every other headine being 'credit crunch this' and 'recession that,' the constant advice from financial 'experts' is to get the best deals possible from price comparison websites. Maybe it would be a good idea to start something of a similar ilk with reference to keeping our flying costs to the minimum that they need to be.

Could we start something like this here? All it requires is for users of this site to tell us all of the cheapest place they've hired an aircraft, whether it be from a club/school or non equity type share. I'm not suggesting blatent advertising, just sharing each others experiences of SFH and where its cheapest.

Cheaper flying means more flying. More flying means more experience. More experience means better, safer pilots.

Lets see how it goes.

Regards,

Nadders.

6th Nov 2008, 08:39
http://www.pprune.org/private-flying/349652-cheapest-sep-hire-southern-england.html

Good idea. Maybe you need to start one for Northern England!?

dbee
6th Nov 2008, 08:42
If U do not mind travelling , try Highland at Inverness. I have no personal interest, just heresay. dbee

nadders
6th Nov 2008, 21:31
dbee Haha LOL:D Inverness is about a 9 hour drive. How cheap are their A/C? If they're about a tenner an hour i'm there!!!!:}

119.35 Thought putting everything in one easy manageble place would help everyone out. If I get no more responses maybe i'll try your suggestion.:ok:

I could start by telling everyone that I hire a Beagle Pup 150 for £89/hour wet.

DavidHoul52
7th Nov 2008, 10:10
A/C hire in Inverness very similar to your Beagle Pup rate. Cheapish flights from Luton or Gatwick available.

7th Nov 2008, 10:19
Nadders, no I agree. In one place would make life a lot easier. I just added the thread to show that one had already been started for the South.

Although, if it caught on, you could soon see one thread becoming huge and I guess you could potentially miss something if you were trawling through 20+ pages?

But where do you stop? The North/South divide wouldn't work well with somebody looking for cheap flying in say the Midlands for example?

I think one master 'sticky' thread is the way to go and if it gets unmanageable, then worry about regions or whatever later. Even of the economy wasn't in a state, it's still a great idea for a 'sticky' thread!

tuscan
7th Nov 2008, 10:45
Is it possible to sub divide a thread so we could go to the pages relevant to our area or for an area we plan to visit?

Inverness/Highland;I pay £85/hr for PA38 (10 hr block)
£99/hr for C172

nadders
7th Nov 2008, 16:05
119.35 I saw the southern thread and thought, as you have said, that this would in fact make a great 'sticky.' Was hoping that an overwhelming number of responses would kind of force it in that general direction but it doesn't seem to be, pardon the pun, taking off yet. I guess 20+ pages could become unmanageble but tuscan makes a good suggestion of sub dividing into smaller areas.

I'll add another one on here then, just too see if we can't motivate people to tell us where all this lovely, incredibly cheap flying is:}

C150 Aerobat. PPL Club hire £78 wet. Netherthorpe.

tuscan
7th Nov 2008, 16:49
There was a guy up in Wick that was renting at good rates a few years ago.

Far North Aviation. He had a C152 and an almost new C172 Skyhawk.

Sorry cant remember the rates.

Far North Aviation (http://www.farnorthaviation.co.uk/training.html)

7th Nov 2008, 21:27
Tusan makes a good point as it wouldn't actually be that hard to sub-divide into regions thinking about it. You could have the master 'sticky' thread which simply contained links to each thread region by region. With the regional threads being updated.

I still think it will be a winner!

tuscan
7th Nov 2008, 21:48
At last, a good idea that people agree with...........Wait till I tell my wife,she will never believe me;)

Seriously though, I think there would be more support for this if it were to reach a broader base.
People would soon loose interest if they had to filter through the pick`n`mix of one thread. There would need to be an order to it,break it up into regions or even into the 1:250`000 charts.
I`m sure someone will come up with a clever idea about division.:ok:

JUST-local
9th Nov 2008, 16:21
North West England

C152 1Hr £90.00 10Hrs £850.00 25Hrs £1875.00.

PA28 1Hr £110.00 10Hrs £1045.00 25Hrs £2250.00.

These include Vat.

nadders
9th Nov 2008, 23:43
Cheers just local.

Where abouts are you getting those rates? No need to mention specific clubs (wouldn't want to be accused of advertising) the airfield will do.

Keep em coming.

Nadders.

squawking 7700
10th Nov 2008, 10:51
nadders,
In my experience of flying, the school in question at Nethersludge is the best value in the country - no memebrship fees, free tea, helpful advice from experienced instructors and the lowest per hour charges for a commercial operation.
A 'members' owned club may be cheaper per hour and you might find a private owner who'll allow use of their aircraft but they won't want all and sundry on PPRUNE to know about it - and that's a question of asking in relevant places.

And that's from someone who regularly flies at different operations in the Midlands and elsewhere in the UK as work and holidays dictate.

Mickey Kaye
10th Nov 2008, 11:18
Sherburn 86 quid an hour for a 6 month old AT-3. GPS included. Dual about anoth 20 quid on top. Pretty good value I think.

How much is the aircraft at Nethersludge would I be correct in thinking it is at phenix. Also what sort of condition is it in?

nadders
10th Nov 2008, 15:16
Squawking 7700, The school at Nethersludge is the one you are thinking of and yes, it is probably up there as one of the best value clubs in the country and I can't rate it highly enough :ok:

My individual problem realates, in reality, to the practicalities of MAUW out of Nethers and the result being that I can't realistically fly friends or family as nine times out of ten, I would be well outside W&B :ugh:

The reason for my post was/is to help people find the cheapest hire rates for all variety of aircraft around the country.

Mickey. 86 quid does seem exceptionaly good value! The Pup that I fly is in very good condition, but of course, it isn't six months old!!

ColonialFlyer
10th Nov 2008, 23:56
nadders: Beagle Pup 150 for £89/hour wet.

Is it at Netherthorpe Airfield as well? Any TT requirement?

Any info of aerobatic capable SEP will be much appreciated. Thanks

nadders
11th Nov 2008, 11:22
Colonial flyer,

The Pup 150 is at Nethers. Its a club owned aircraft with excellent availability. There's no membership fee to join the club you'll just need the necessary check ride. Aero's not permitted I'm afraid due to the fatigue index on the airframe. If you need any details, feel free to PM me.

Nadders