PDA

View Full Version : ICAO Language proficiency test

Gavilan
5th Nov 2008, 18:09
Hi everyone!
I need your help with this,I´m spanish and here there are no schools to issue ICAO Level 5 and I need to know any school in UK which can do it.Do you know about anyone to pass tests there?

tbavprof
6th Nov 2008, 00:05
G,

There's no such thing as an ICAO language proficiency test. It is whatever test or tests selected and approved by the CAA that issues your license. They also may have approval authority over training organizations for language proficiency. If you have a level 4, that's all you need. (FAA only issues an English Proficient license endorsement, corresponding to level 4).

Captain Stravaigin
6th Nov 2008, 01:45
Oddly enough I have just got this fixed myself. I am a Brit - but I fly in Malaysia and needed proof of my English Proficiency. I spent about 2 months earlier this year grounded until I got the problem sorted. Being British and having a Higher English qualification did not seem to count for much unfortunately.

This week I found a more permanent solution. When you undertake a flying test with a UK examiner he is permitted to sign you off as Level 6 (and level 6 only) on the basis of the test you have just conducted with him. There is a form - easily found on the CAA website which you can print off and ask him to sign for you. Once you have Level 6 sign off there is no subsequent re-testing required.

I was flying in Florida last week and advised a few friends of mine (Italian, German and French) to ask for the sign off when the do their (UK) CAA PPL checkrides.

This was fine for me as a Brit. How a non-native speaker would do I have yet to ascertain.

epsum
6th Nov 2008, 07:59
In a certain Northern - Europe country the English test will be held by CAA authorized examinator. And when on first time test for the non-native speaker, the maximum level they can give you is 5 (regulations from CAA). I presume, that in your case, you first contact the CAA, find a appropriate examiner, take the test with him/her, and let them put your language proficiency in your certificate.

Gavilan
6th Nov 2008, 16:40
Thanks a lot for replies,so...I have done today my renewal for IR/MEP in Spain but next year I gonna go to England to pass it there to get ICAO level 6,cos in Spain there are no school certificated to issue it. Sure that renewal is more expensive in England but at least i can get the english level endorsement

Thanks everyone

ELPSPAIN
19th Dec 2008, 12:45
I work in the Aviation English sector in Spain. The DGAC are currently making changes to the Royal Decree regarding approval of English Language Proficiency Test providers in Spain. Our ATPL school will be seeking approval when this is published. We are located in the South of Spain and our test has already been accepted by the UKCAA. I know advertising is taboo here, but let me know if I can help you in the future.