PDA

View Full Version : Flying in Florida in the summer

Absoulutley lad
4th Nov 2008, 20:30
HI,

I am 16 hours into my PPL, I have not yet gone solo but am only an hour or so away(fingers crossed) I am planning to go to Florida to complete my PPL In late July/Early August.

I'm going to Ormand beach. ( I Know what you may think but I have been warned and am ready for any messing around or bad treatment I get there.)

What I really want to know is, Whats it like flying in the hight of summer in Florida? I have been there many many times for family Holidays in late August and know how hot it can get. (and sometimes very windy!!)
IS it difficult to concerntrate while flying in the immense heat?

What do you think about it?

Thanks

mcgoo
4th Nov 2008, 22:58
It's only really unpleasant when you are going to taxi or hold, once you are airbourne it's fine.

minimum_wage
5th Nov 2008, 05:35
It's flat, boring and hazey. Did my ppl at ormond beach and on leaving, I wasn't prepared for flying somewhere that was a little more challenging or somewhere that required harder decision making.
Don't be put off, but just be aware that Florida airspace isn't as hard as other places.
Having said that, I'd find it hard now to do a VFR flight plan, work out winds and times etc.

As for winds, you will have to fly in them someday so don't worry about it. It will only make you better.

Just make sure you take a spare shirt, wear deodorant and keep the vents open.