PDA

View Full Version : Boeing 787 First Flight Delayed

BOEING777X
4th Nov 2008, 18:49
“Given the duration of the IAM work stoppage, first flight of the 787 Dreamliner will not be accomplished in the fourth quarter of 2008. The timeframe for first flight has not been established and will be based on the strike recovery assessment. The program is working to determine a new program schedule that will be announced when it is finalized,” said 787 spokeswoman Yvonne Leach.

Full Statement from Boeing on my Editorial here (http://www.fleetbuzzeditorial.com/2008/11/04/boeing-787-first-flight-delayed/).

manrow
4th Nov 2008, 18:55
I suspect the strike issue is a red herring!

In recent years it has become almost guaranteed that manufacturers issue a much too optimistic forecast on first flight, entry into service etc., to attract buyers. I just hope the purchasers have been able to introduce sufficient compensation clauses in the contracts?

autothrottle
4th Nov 2008, 19:16
I have to say this whole 787 story doen't surprise me one bit . It has been a complete shambles and this new revelation about the wrong fasteners is a joke. If Boeing had kept all its manufacturing under one roof, it would already have flown. I think Airbus are sniggering in the backround!

aiman
5th Nov 2008, 08:00
and isn't it a bit strange that they issue this very important news story on a day when some other minor event takes the whole news coverage, smells of a huge cover up to me

TopBunk
5th Nov 2008, 09:17
Surely Boeing wouldn't have engineered the machinists strike in the first place so that they could get their act together in the whole 787 fiasco? Is it not true that industrial unrest is deemed beyond the control of Boeing and that therefore payments to customers for the delays caused by the strike will not be made. All seems rather convenient for Boeing to suspend aircraft production at a time when they have problems with their new flagship and the world market takes a nosedive.