PDA

View Full Version : American Baggage Policy - $300 for 5"

TimGriff6
4th Nov 2008, 12:23
I've just checked this for an imminent trip across the Atlantic and noticed a size limit on checked baggage of 62" total dimensions. I have a large wheeler suitcase which I have taken with me before but thought I'd better check it - the result is 67" total size.
As the excess is $150 each way, I'm not sure the risk of taking it is worthwhile and I may decant the stuff into two smaller cases.

Does anyone know the likelihood of getting charged the excess at LHR & MIA?

Rainboe
4th Nov 2008, 13:09
Don't forget baggage weight limitation and excess baggage charges! I think an investment in a smaller, lighter case would be money saved.

TimGriff6
4th Nov 2008, 13:24
I have never been able to get the weight up to the limit that I am allowed so that is not an issue for me. It is volume that I need a large case for rather than weight. I have smaller cases but will need to take two which is just more of a pain to carry around (I also have to shift my wife's). As both of these each have a similar tare to the large case, I will be taking more total weight so will cost more to move around the world - but that's their choice!

ps I would have explained all that at the start but wanted to keep the signal to noise ratio high.

Mr @ Spotty M
4th Nov 2008, 16:54
You better not fly the flag (BA) then, as from later this month any case over 23 Kgs will cost you £15 (if my memory is correct) to check it in, still allowed two cases.