PDA

View Full Version : Recognition Training Packages

seafuryfan
3rd Nov 2008, 14:27
I am looking for the latest military software recognition training aids.

I've so far had posted to me the Army Basic Recognition Training Instructors CD (Through the British Defence Film Library), but am having difficulty finding anything else. Someone mentioned that there is some up to date recognition material for Afghanistan and Iraq and this would help to provide our audience with the latest material.

Anything that is esp relevant to aviators and makes use of imaginitve methods of presentation (e.g: sillouetes that appear quite distant and a bit blurry, as opposed to top spec photos) is particularly welcome.

Anyone able to help?

Cheers

minigundiplomat
3rd Nov 2008, 15:32
Powerpoint - Google Images, Google Images - Powerpoint.

Not exactly rocket science. An IntO should provide you with a list of friendly/hostile equipment for the theatre.

airborne_artist
3rd Nov 2008, 15:47
Check yr PMs.

I still annoy Mrs AA by shouting out at Soviet vehicles when they come up on news clips. Saw some UN BMP-1s on footage from DR Congo just yesterday.

Melchett01
3rd Nov 2008, 21:46
Speak to your IntO. Any IntO worth their salt will have an up to date recce trg package.

Be aware, the Army stuff is ok up to a point, but it is fairly basic designed as a squaddie-proof syllabus and may not be detailed enough if you want any more than the basics.

Two's in
3rd Nov 2008, 22:58
Are all the T-72 slides all still on that rail flatbed with the silver birch trees?

Squirrel 41
3rd Nov 2008, 23:06
Not all.... just most.

SFF - pls PM me - I may have some stuff that you could use.

S41

barnstormer1968
4th Nov 2008, 07:45
Hi Melchett.
I'm feeling rather stupid now, after never realising that the 4000 differing vehicles/aircraft/vessels I had to be able to recognise/identify, only meant I had studied the subject to a basic level!.
Gosh, if I had been in the RAF then those levels would probably only have classed me at recruit level.

Sadly my eyesight now is not what it used to be, and I even need to wear glasses to shoot on a 25m range, or the "tin hat"targets are just blurs which I fire in the general direction of (but still hit:}).

BlackadderIA
4th Nov 2008, 20:21
4000 bits of individual kit eh? The force is strong in this one.

You won't mind telling us what this is then :ok:

http://i113.photobucket.com/albums/n226/Blackadder77/what.jpg

Specific kit please - no base vehicles accepted :}

Squirrel 41
5th Nov 2008, 13:42
I'll bite

1V14 series - probably a 1V14 itself.

Hat coat, etc...

S41

Mister-T
5th Nov 2008, 15:18
Black and white photo that had silver birch trees and a tank was always T64.

barnstormer1968
5th Nov 2008, 16:23
It's an old soviet ice cream van..You can see the comrade whippy residue under the glacis plate

Mister T. Not always tanks, but certain aircraft too were usually from familiar silver birch locations
But at least they were proper photos, not like the "could not be bothered" silhouette of a USAF B1 to represent a TU 160. Although I have to admit I last studied photo interpretation in the mid eighties, so hope things have moved on a bit since then.

S41 Why do you say IV14, as there were:
IV 13
IV14/15
or IV 16 to choose from (that is if you have not grabbed your coat yet:})

Squirrel 41
5th Nov 2008, 21:03
Barnstormer -

Educated guess territory here....

S41

Two's in
5th Nov 2008, 23:49
Are all the T-72 slides all still on that rail flatbed with the silver birch trees?

Black and white photo that had silver birch trees and a tank was always T64.

Mr T...I never actually said I stayed for the lesson!

There was always some over-zealous Recognition Instructor who wanted to know how many helical spirals were on the stbd, fwd, glacis plate VHF antenna mounting plate. Does he still survive in any form today?

BEagle
6th Nov 2008, 06:11
Ah, the days of 'curved handrails' and 'GT wheels' on Ivan's tanks, beloved of recce pukes.

At Chivenor, we had to give a daily 'recce brief'. One lad started his with "What's the release range" for the Hawk. 1667 yards, if memory recalls. He then announced the length of a T-wotsit and invited the audience to calculate what that represented in mils at release range. The correct answer was not a lot!

"Here is the sight picture of a T-wotsit at release range", he announced, showing a blank slide with a little dark spot in the middle. "Notice the curved handrails, fume extractor at the end of the barrel and the GT wheels"......

Cement Head was NOT impressed. He always asked "How can you tell it's one of theirs, not one of ours?". One day (after my suggestion), the late Brian 'Shlib' Wxly announced "And the way to tell its one of theirs, not one of ours, is that it's probably heading west whilst ours are heading east...." The back of Cement Head's neck went scarlet at that!

Mind you, the baby navs recce briefs at Finningley were even worse. One bright sod told us the key recce feature for some ManPad was the 3 inch cable dangling from the back end. Another nav gave us a brief about a ship of which there were 3 in the entire world - all somewhere in the Dutch East Indies.....:rolleyes:

At Wattisham, 'BK' was the boat recce bloke. Every so often a black and white slide show would be held and we had to say which one of Betty's boats was in the picture....

"Broadsword"

"Yes, that's a bit of an easy one"

"Amazon"

"Correct"

"Bristol"

"Very good"

"County"

"Yes - you're good at this, aren't you BEags?"

"Not really. I'll bet that the next one is Invincible, then Rothesay, Leander and Sheffield. Same as last month - BABCIRLS is the mnemonic to remember your slide sequence, BK"

"Ah, bugger!"

Mind you, his recce feature for the Coontz was "The 'coon cage' in front of the funnel" - not very PC!

barnstormer1968
6th Nov 2008, 07:30
Please check your PM's

CirrusF
6th Nov 2008, 07:47
'curved handrails'

We used to refer to them as the "carrying handles". It made the newbies laugh and ensured they always remembered the difference between T72 and T80 (not that I can any more!).

Mister-T
6th Nov 2008, 09:49
Oh the joys of Christie Suspension, gap between the 1st and 2nd road wheel. A straight grab rail followed by a curved one. Straight glacis plate and a fume extractor at the end of the barrel, double headlight cluster and IR searchlight both on starboard side.....Anyone?

Twos in, i don't know of any over zealous Recognition Instructors ;-)

Zoom
6th Nov 2008, 10:16
Does the Recognition Journal still exist?

I remember a JP whose secondary duty was ship recce training (or whatever it was called) and he gave us a number of memorable descriptions for ships. Eg, Amazon Class frigates - 'spikes yer b*lls' for the big spike by the funnel; Bristol Class - 'Bristols' for its 3 large radomes; Leander Class - 'you can meander round a Leander' (but not the similar Rothesay due to the positioning of its superstructure); Kashin - 'lots of ash' (from its 4 funnels). Might sound daft but that is 33 years worth of remembering! Of course, I've forgotten all of his aircraft and AFV tricks!

dangermouse
6th Nov 2008, 12:19
sounds like a T55 to me (or a T54B or a PLA T69)

DM

Flarkey
6th Nov 2008, 12:52
There are 1165 pages of Aircraft recognition here (http://www.arrse.co.uk/cpgn2/Forums/viewtopic/t=50108.html).

Fill yer boots.

seafuryfan
6th Nov 2008, 22:31
Wow - what a response.

TVM for the posts, Gents. Dutifully heading off to the land of glacis plates, six road wheels etc