PDA

View Full Version : Urban Legend??

unstable load
3rd Nov 2008, 12:26
I am looking to clear up something that has intrigued me for a few months. I work in Thailand at U Taphao International Airport. It was apparently a B52 airbase during the Vietnam war and the local legend has it that a B52 went in off the end of the runway with a full bomb load and that it created a lake when it blew up.

The co-ordinates from Google earth are 12 deg 42' 11N and 101 deg 00' 22E.

Can anyone confirm or is this just wishful thinking?

Thanks in advance,

UL.

Wader2
3rd Nov 2008, 13:27
Two links, the second gives the date. I can't check out the first link.

yashy.com/idea/page.php?id=2387
Major Warren K. Davis (http://hh43b-husky.net/PedroMemorial/WK%20Davis.html)

Google is your friend.

ORAC
3rd Nov 2008, 14:38
Also, on the same day:

Ash 1 B52D No. 56-0584, 12-26-72 U-Tapao Crashed at U-Tapao.

Attempted go-around with 4 engines out on same side. 4 KIA. CP, 1st Lt Bob Hymel & Gunner, TSgt Spencer Grippen were rescued.

The A/C made a determination that they should bailout before the crash, but since the gunner was wounded and they felt he might not be able to physically execute the bailout, they decided as a crew to try and bring the plane in. Ironically, the only survivors of the crash were the C/P and the wounded gunner. In addition, the C/P would not have survived had he not been rescued by a crewmember from another BUFF who watched the crash, and rushed into the wreck to pull the C/P out before the plane burned up.

Lt Col Bob Hymel was killed in the Pentagon on 9/11. (http://www.arlingtoncemetery.net/rjhymel.htm)

forget
3rd Nov 2008, 15:32
unstable load, Urban myth I'd say. The report says;

The crew sped up too rapidly, however, and the aircraft--carrying about 300,000 lbs of fuel and 108 500-pound bombs--skidded off the runway into a ditch. ..... suggesting that the aircraft stayed within the airfield. Your lake would mean one helluva long over-run.

Give my regards to Utapao. I spent many happy times with the Royal Thai Navy there in the 80s. Great guys - one and all. :ok::ok:

unstable load
4th Nov 2008, 01:39
forget,

Thought so, the bomber would have to have been airborne and speared in to make a hole like that IMO.

ORAC, Wader2,

Thanks, guys! Will check the links out!

Cheers,

UL.