2nd Nov 2008, 18:42
Amazing skill....

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=XRCbkBfdBrQ

hoodie
2nd Nov 2008, 18:55
Skill, indeed. Not everyone could use a computer to fake such a video. :}

BoeingMEL
2nd Nov 2008, 18:59
Get a life old buddy..this is quite clearly CGI (computer-generated image)... and you should know from your flying controls and aerodynamics studies that it just doesn't stack up!! Cheers bm :ugh:

Croqueteer
2nd Nov 2008, 19:37
:eek: An aircraft like that can maintain level flight in knife-edge, and just look at the rudder and aileron just prior to touchdown. I would say a highly skilled and cool pilot that knew his aircraft.

False Capture
2nd Nov 2008, 19:54
Here are some questions and answers I thought of when I saw this video:

a) Why is the posture of the "pilot" far too upright and motionless especially as he'd be working his butt off to control the aircraft? Looks like the figure is a small model.
b) Why is the landing roll far too short? This indicates a lack off energy - just like watching a model aeroplane land.
c) Why doesn't the landing gear collapse or flex? In a full-sized aircraft the landing gear would have collapsed or at the very least it would have been compressed to point of a prop-strike.
d) Where's the registration? No need for a registration on a model aircraft
e) Why does it conveniently groundloop to the left after landing? To hide the wing of the full-size aeroplane when it is substituted to show the hero opening the canopy.
f) How many Extras have suffered a structural failure? None

At the end of the day, it's a radio controlled aircraft which some fancy editing.

Lister Noble
3rd Nov 2008, 07:39
Doesn't the Extra have a carbon fibre main spar which is almost unbreakable and would certainly make a serious mess of the fuselage if there was a failure?
Looks like a model to me ,esp as mentioned no reg numbers etc.

englishal
3rd Nov 2008, 08:05
It is fake. When the wing comes off it spins the wrong way for a start!!!

hatzflyer
3rd Nov 2008, 08:21
The makers of the video have owned up on another forum,its a fake!

bellend
3rd Nov 2008, 08:31
cannot believe anybody in here would fall for that... sheesh

:ugh:

oversteer
3rd Nov 2008, 08:50
To be fair it's not a bad study in video editing... but yes very fake.

BoeingMEL
3rd Nov 2008, 10:08
Sorry to be pedantic Croqeteer but knife-edge flight is NOT possible with a wing missing! (Clue: Consider the effects of weight and drag on the remaining wing!)

cheers bm

Croqueteer
3rd Nov 2008, 13:09
:ok:I have an open mind on this, but a couple of points. I see no reason why a one wing extra would not spin either way. Looking at the drag and aerodynamics, the knife edge in the clip would be a natural stable position. The "pilot" is leaning forward after touchdown, and can be seen then moving and leaning back. On the roll out, right rudder would seem to be applied to couter the swing to the draggy heavy side. In the final left turn, the background gives scale while the bare wing root can still be seen. If not true, where is the info to that effect? If true, somebody must know where it happened! This is better than listening to the news anyway!

Chequeredflag
3rd Nov 2008, 15:28
I've seen the full video of this which ends with the "pilot" collecting it and walking back with it. It is of course a model, but there's no doubt the guy at the other end of the R/C box was skilled. The end of the original video was faked, it did not land quite so gently, but as it's owner said "it will fly again"

Croqueteer
3rd Nov 2008, 18:25
:confused: I've seen that clip, different a/c different colour. It would also be hard to replicate the sound of a seriously slipping prop at high power.:confused:

Brian Abraham
4th Nov 2008, 00:34
A viral ad made for a German clothing company. Fake and then some.Air Racing (http://www.killathrill.com/killaworlds/kw3.action)

englishal
4th Nov 2008, 06:33
Sorry to be pedantic Croqeteer but knife-edge flight is NOT possible with a wing missing!

Oh yea? ;)

YouTube - Plane Loses Wing In Mid Flight (http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=SsNIhBlyepc)