PDA

View Full Version : Helo Missing in NZ

Ned-Air2Air
1st Nov 2008, 20:04
Just heard on the news that an R22 and its pilot are missing near Wanaka. No names or company given yet.

gafa1
1st Nov 2008, 21:37
check you pm's ned.

Search resumes for missing helicopter

Sunday, 02 November 2008
Rescuers have resumed their search for a missing helicopter and its pilot in the Wanaka area.

The family of the missing pilot reported he was overdue just after 8pm yesterday.
Rescue Co-ordination Centre NZ (RCCNZ) launched a search and rescue operation to find the Robinson R22 helicopter and sole occupant overdue on a flight to Wanaka.
The helicopter was last sighted north of Wanaka.
Marguerite Fahy, from RCCNZ, said four helicopters were searching for the missing helicopter and its pilot today.
Helicopters from Te Anau and Queenstown using night vision goggles and a local boat searched overnight.
Rescuers had a break at 4.30am to re-group and plan for today, and resumed the search around 7am.
Two helicopters would be searching the Lake Wanaka shore and two would be flying east to west, said Ms Fahy. Two fires seen on one of the islands and on the shore had been discounted, as well as an emergency beacon signal.:sad:

Akutan
2nd Nov 2008, 00:47
Helicopter pilot missing

from newtalk zb

02/11/2008 13:16:06

The helicopter pilot missing in Wanaka is one of two men who were involved in a greenstone scam on the West Coast. Morgan Saxton, aged 31, was reported missing by his family last night when he did not return from a solo flight in a Robinson R22 helicopter.

In February Mr Saxton and his father agreed to pay $240,000 compensation to Maori owners of pounamu they stole over a six year period.

Rescue Coordination Centre spokeswoman Marguerite Fahy says helicopters and a boat were searching until 4.30 this morning. Four helicopters and 12 searchers have been scouring the lakeshore and countryside today

Ned-Air2Air
2nd Nov 2008, 01:04
News has just said that debris has been found that is "probably" from Morgans R22 and includes seats.

Still keeping fingers crossed. What a tough end to a tough year for the family.

:(:(

RVDT
2nd Nov 2008, 01:20
More info Missing helicopter pilot is Morgan Saxton | Otago Daily Times Online (http://www.odt.co.nz/news/queenstown-lakes/30002/missing-helicopter-pilot-morgan-saxton)

BigMike
2nd Nov 2008, 08:14
News story from early today here:

3 News > Video > National > Chances of finding missing helicopter pilot alive dwindling (http://www.3news.co.nz/Video/National/tabid/309/articleID/78141/cat/65/Default.aspx#video)

skidbiter2
2nd Nov 2008, 09:17
Bad bad news!

My thoughts are with the family!

The thing that P1SSES me off, is when at times like this the media and "others", have to drag up the dirt and publish that as well.
Why can't people show a bit of respect to a missing and now deceased person and their family, there is no need for it!

Rest in peace Morgan, you are going to be missed my friend. :(

B Sousa
2nd Nov 2008, 11:24
Skidbiter. Fill us in on what is greenstone and why did this guy become a "Convicted Thief" .
Most of us dont consider a convicted thief much of a loss, so there has to be another side to this story........

Edit: This thing certainly got blown way out of proportion. Nobody is joyous when someone goes missing or is killed. However I didnt post the add on that the subject of this thread was the "convicted Thief" it came from another. Not knowing the person, I asked the question, "so there has to be another side to the story"
Apparently there may be. I hope that may straighten out a bit that most of us have no clue what greenstone is.
Its also been discussed before that sometimes here folks get threads mixed up with condolences and accident causation. I think if this had just been a thread of condolences only those who knew the guy would probably post. When its open to the world, its going to receive comments from around the world. Curious questions for some, offensive to others. Hopefully they will be read before commented on.
The cause in this case may also draw controversy.
Sorry if I was misunderstood.

pohm1
2nd Nov 2008, 11:39
Greenstone (http://www.pprune.org/jet-blast/313635-nz-greenstone-court-case-verdict.html?highlight=greenstone)

P1

TukTuk BoomBoom
2nd Nov 2008, 15:15
"Most of us dont consider a convicted thief much of a loss, so there has to be another side to this story........"
Touching, thanks "BSousa".
You do realise hes probably been killed in a crash?

Obviously your aviation experience is limited to reading magazines and playing games, not actually meeting real people in the industry or even being one yourself.

The Sax family are well known down there, your opinion of the guy isnt required.

heli-cal
2nd Nov 2008, 16:31
Tut-Tut, Tuk Tuk,

Evidently, knowing what you are talking about is not your strong point!

skidbiter2
2nd Nov 2008, 17:56
I beg to differ, he sounds like he definitely knows what he is talking about!

The whole family are great people and would do anything for you.

Enough said.

Ned-Air2Air
2nd Nov 2008, 18:00
skidbiter - I think he is referring to the comment about SASless not being involved in the industry. Sasless is and has been for longer than I have been alive - he is an old fart :}

And guys, come on, lets show some respect for Dave Saxton and his wife Denise and not turn this thread into a slanging match. Morgan deserves more than that.

Ned :(

B Sousa
2nd Nov 2008, 19:02
Im just asking a question. I dont know the guy from a hill of beans.. Someone else came off with the Convicted Thief story?? In fact I wouldnt know Greenstone if it was used to pave the road........
Now that someone ELSE has posted the story I know a little more and it sounds like the "Theft" is a lot more Political Bravo Sierra that we have to go through when someone finds an Arrowhead.
Dont get your shorts in a bunch, I am not showing disrespect..I just wanted the other side of the story...

your opinion of the guy isnt required.
Dont think I gave one, read again........

BigMike
3rd Nov 2008, 01:27
Sad for the family regardless of what he did.
Hopefully they can recover the wreckage and determine the cause. It is pretty deep where they are searching though.

TV ONE item: Search continues for pilot after chopper plunges into Lake Wanaka | NATIONAL | NEWS | tvnz.co.nz (http://tvnz.co.nz/view/page/411749/2254331)

hef
3rd Nov 2008, 05:10
Morgan's body hasn't been recovered yet but I'm sorry to say that it's pretty obvious where he is. Some navy divers are going down to Wanaka tonight (Mon) with salvage equipment and deep water dive gear to hopefully recover the Robbie and hopefully Morgan with it. He was flying his black alpha model down to Wanaka from Haast to do some frost work.

RIP mate. You will be missed.

dragman
3rd Nov 2008, 05:17
B Sousa

Your comments don't do you any favours and even go as far as to suggest your level of integrity and professionalism as a commercial pilot - assuming you are one - needs a little attention.

Like you, I also have never met Mr Saxton. However, it appears he has lost his life. Regardless of his past activities - which are not for you to judge, it seems he has donated his time in past search and rescue missions, quite possibly looking for overweight and under prepared American tourists that have needed help in the New Zealand bush.

I am sure he deserves more respect than you care to offer.

DM

lostpianoplayer
3rd Nov 2008, 06:03
I'm sure most of us have had friends killed in this game, and have a sense of how awful it is when it strikes those close to you. When a statistic becomes personal. I know Dave, and I know Morgan, who, as far as I know, hasn't actually been found yet. I don't know either of them well, certainly not close enough to be friends, but am reasonably familiar with them, and their recent legal problems.

I agree the situation looks pretty grim. This is a really sad situation. The family has been through some very, very tough times in the last couple of years. Dave and Morgan Saxton were jailed for what in many other countries would be considered illegal mining - aka picking up greenstone, the NZ version of jade, from West Coast beaches, mainly by helicopter, and selling it on the side. Not, in most countries, considered "theft", and certainly not, in most countries, something for which one might reasonably expect to be jailed for years. Against the law, nonetheless, whatever the morality of "illegal mining", "theft" (from the alleged owners of NZ minerals, ie the Maori people) or whatever one cares to call it.

It was a very, very political prosecution, with the South Islands wealthiest, most influential Maori tribe calling for Morgan and Dave's incarceration, and expressing satisfaction at the sentence, in what seemed to me to be a peculiarly vindictive manner. There is a large "free Dave and Morgan" movement, which raised a lot of money for the appeal against their sentence, which many, quite possibly most, people considered to be extraordinarily harsh. They are both out of prison, on bail, while the appeal is considered. I personally was appalled at the verdict, and I sincerely hope the appeal is successful, but I realise this is only my personal/political opinion, and others differ. In any case, Morgan is not, as far as I know, what most people would think of as a thief. Both the Saxtons performed a great deal of search and rescue work, helped a lot of people over the years, and, while presumably not being perfect (who is?), are very respected by a lot of New Zealanders. In common with many people who live on the very sparcely populated southern West Coast, they may, perhaps, have had a fairly casual relationship with some of the finer points of government regulation, but many of us have done far worse. Let he who is without sin, etc etc.

PLEASE don't let this thread deteriorate into name-calling. The Saxtons have been through enough, thieves, not-thieves, saints, sinners, whatever. Enough.

Scissorlink
3rd Nov 2008, 07:22
There are alot of Kiwi's hurting at the moment still hoping for a positive outcome but it is looking grim. No they haven't recovered the wreck but will try first thing tomorrow if weather allows...fingers crossed

heli-cal
3rd Nov 2008, 08:42
The very sad irony is that had the pair not lodged their appeal, this accident would never have occurred!

deeper
3rd Nov 2008, 08:57
8.30 ???? night vision ??? was he flying over water at night ?????

hef
3rd Nov 2008, 09:02
As far as I know the accident occurred at about 6pm, so it was light.

The NVG's were used by a rescue helicopter crew.

Ned-Air2Air
3rd Nov 2008, 09:28
Hannibal was using the NVGs and I heard that they worked through the night. One of the guys said he got back home at about 4.30am

BigMike
3rd Nov 2008, 10:12
"Obviously your aviation experience is limited to reading magazines and playing games, not actually meeting real people in the industry or even being one yourself"

I think you will find B Sousa has been around for a while. Flew in Vietnam I believe (war that is) and is still flying.
This is a public forum where you can expect comments.

TukTuk BoomBoom
3rd Nov 2008, 14:52
Well since its a public forum he can expect a reaction to stupid comments like..

"Most of us dont consider a convicted thief much of a loss.."

Even an aussie would agree thats pretty insentive considering there are still people trying to recover a body from the bottom of a lake.
Who cares if BSousa flew in Vietnam, show some respect no matter who you are.

RIP Morgan.

R.OCKAPE
3rd Nov 2008, 15:06
I think B Sousa's comments were taking out of context...

heli-cal
3rd Nov 2008, 19:01
Tuk Tuk, you are a hypocrite to say "show some respect no matter who you are."

This was one of your posts regarding the accidental death (in N.Z.) of a 57 year old helicopter passenger whom fell 300m.

The quote at the top of your post is of my request that you edit that phrase from your post!

http://static.pprune.org/images/statusicon/post_old.gif 2nd March 2008, 04:22 #67 (http://www.pprune.org/3950411-post67.html) (permalink (http://www.pprune.org/rotorheads/227239-tourist-dies-fall-helicopter-4.html#post3950411)) TukTuk BoomBoom (http://www.pprune.org/members/141473-tuktuk-boomboom)

"I would very much appreciate it if you would edit that phrase from your post."

What, now you cant even say spastic?
I thought you couldnt say retard?

Well what do you call a guy that gets out of helicopter against instructions and walks off a cliff?
What about punters that get out of the machine wearing the headset and start walking off??
Etc etc etc

This was your post which I objected to, not exactly showing a great deal of respect, are you!

http://static.pprune.org/images/statusicon/post_old.gif 1st March 2008, 15:45 #63 (http://www.pprune.org/3949361-post63.html) (permalink (http://www.pprune.org/rotorheads/227239-tourist-dies-fall-helicopter-4.html#post3949361)) TukTuk BoomBoom (http://www.pprune.org/members/141473-tuktuk-boomboom)

Yeah but it not just rich c**ts that have issues around running helicopters, plenty of normally sane people get weird when you start the engines.

You say....."Dont walk down the back, dont raise your hands or anything else above your head, this is the way the door handle works, press to talk "etc etc etc
They hear...weeeeeeeeeeee

No one listens, they get all hyped up like their had too many wine biscuits and start pushing on controls and stomping on things, what a bunch of spastics!

I honestly think most people in the helicopter are there to kill themselves and take me with them.

Senior Pilot
3rd Nov 2008, 19:42
This thread is sounding more like JB than Rotorheads: have you all taken leave of your senses, or is it a full moon somewhere on your planet :rolleyes:

I was going to slash and burn the most offensive posts on this thread, but it serves a better purpose to leave them as an indication of the insensitivity and stupidity of some of our brethren, especially since this thread is about the death of another helicopter pilot.

Get back on topic: further abusive posts will be binned, along with whoever thinks it smart to try :*

boogar
3rd Nov 2008, 20:00
The people on this site really anoy me at times. You idiots should stop fighting like a bunch of schoolgirls and think of Morgan for one, his family and close friends and the heartache they are all feeling at the moment. If you don't have anything nice to say about Morgan or can't help in any way don't bother, I for one don't want to read it. Just think it could be one of your friends or family.

Also get your facts straight 100% before you push the submit button at the bottom of the page.

You were a great bloke Morgan and it was a real priveledge knowing you. You will be sorely missed by many.

Gas Producer
3rd Nov 2008, 21:11
Senior Pilot,

Well done and said. Thank you. It's a pity such a step was necessary. Hopefully that's the end of that.

I didn't know Morgan well but had met him on a couple of occasions, as I have other members of his family. A very sad time. My condolences and kindest thoughts.

GP

Hughesy
4th Nov 2008, 02:21
Agree with the two post above!!
I only met Morgan once (when I took the accident investigators down to the 500) and he was really generous. Giving me a decent jacket to wear while I tied down my heli in pretty wet and cold conditions. Then over filled me with coffee! :p

Such a shame. RIP mate, may you forever be hunting those deer!

outofwhack
4th Nov 2008, 04:47
I met Morgan for the first time last week at Wanaka airfield. He told us of some good fishing spots. As a newcomer I noted how refreshing it was to meet such a genuine open and friendly local pilot. It is very sad to hear this terrible news. My heart goes out to those who really new him.

Bushbandit
5th Nov 2008, 07:59
Hughesy , you're lucky Morgie only filled you with coffee and not piss . He had a good nack of stiching people up on the boozze.
R.I.P Good Mate

Hughesy
5th Nov 2008, 22:21
They have now found Morgan and recovered his body. :(

RIP mate.

philipnz
5th Nov 2008, 22:40
Yeah well done to the recovery guys. RIP Morgan and condolences to the very honourable Saxton family

oldsoak
13th Nov 2008, 14:45
RIP Morg.
I met him some time back and he flew us out to South Westland on hunting trips as our pilot of choice. My thoughts go out to his family.

Hughesy
13th Nov 2008, 20:25
It was a very sad, but nice service.
Morgs had a great send off. He had obviously touched so many people as over 1200 people attended.
Was a bit of a tear jerker when he was watched by about 100 deer on the neighbouring farm as the took him on his final flight.

Lonewolf_50
5th Aug 2010, 12:38
Gentlemen:

At the risk of being accused of thread necromancy, I wish to thank the original participants for fleshing out the story as I read it here.
Helicopter pilot was texting when he crashed - Story - Home - 3 News (http://www.3news.co.nz/Home/News/Display/tabid/209/articleID/169235/Default.aspx?src=email)

I now understand the politics of New Zealand/Maori jade a bit better.

That said, this story made me scratch my head. Do any of our friends in NZ have any more insight on the conclusions of the investigation?

A helicopter pilot was sending and receiving text messages when he crashed into Lake Wanaka and died. Investigators have also found that Morgan Saxton liked to fly fast.It seems to me that most pilots like to fly fast ... at least some of the time ... and am not sure how that was a relevant point in the investigation.
Now a report into the accident says Saxton was sending and receiving text messages just before his aircraft plunged into the lake. Investigators found he hit turbulence - and distracted by his cellphone - had no time to react.

Investigators say it's not the first air crash involving cellphones.

There are no rules for helicopter pilots using cellphones but that may be about to change.
Here in Texas there is a huge public push to get after people who drive and text at the same time. I don't do that, as I don't like being head down while driving. Too many idiots sharing the road with me to not keep the VFR scan going.

It never occurred to me that one would text while flying. I guess I am out of touch with the modern age. :\:confused::ugh:

Is the report generally accepted by the pilots who fly in New Zealand, or is it controversial?

gafa1
6th Aug 2010, 10:50
pretty much means that they aren't to sure really what happened is my guess.:hmm: but thats just my thoughts, and as for flying and texting, well no big deal i think. i know lots that do it.:eek: for some young people these days, texting and driving/ flying is just like what they do to themsleves in bed, it comes naturally!! lol
But in saying that, Morgie is still sorely missed and lots of people miss that cheeky grin of his and his laughs and humour, a great tribute to him at the top of the lake!! TOP GUY. RIP morgie,

Lonewolf_50
6th Aug 2010, 12:10
and as for flying and texting, well no big deal i think. i know lots that do it.http://images.ibsrv.net/ibsrv/res/src:www.pprune.org/get/images/smilies/eek.gif
:eek: Indeed.

for some young people these days, texting and driving/ flying is just like what they do to themsleves in bed, it comes naturally!!

Texting is an acquired skill. Nothing natural about it. ;) (Unlike that other "skill" you mentioned :} )

Thanks, gafa1. :)