PDA

View Full Version : FAA Licenses

AvEnthusiast
1st Nov 2008, 13:31
Dears,
I’m having my flight training in an ICAO member state, but all the training materials are those of FAA. And Civil Aviation Authority of this country almost follow FAA and maybe that’s why the FTO is also following FAA training procedures. So what I was looking for is that, would it be possible for me to convert my licenses to FAA licenses (CPL/IR, ME) or would be able to sit for FAA written test and checkrides based on the ground school and flight hours that I have loged? Because all my training is from FAA training resources. Or no, being FAA approved FTO or trained by FAA CFI is needed?

AvEnthusiast
22nd Nov 2008, 07:18
73 vies and no reply. Have I aked something non-sense or you have no ideas or if it's difficult to answer.

Shunter
22nd Nov 2008, 07:55
I would suspect the country you are training in simply doesn't have sufficient resource or motivation to create their own rules, and decided importing FAA standards was the best way to become an ICAO member. Nothing wrong with that, I guess.

If you've learnt in an ICAO state with suitably qualified instructor, all your hours will count toward FAA licenses. I doubt very much that your exams and checkrides will count for license issue purposes in the USA, but if you've learnt to the FAA syllabus a conversion should be trivial. Take the exams, complete the neccessary handful of hours with an FAA instructor, then take the checkrides.

tbavprof
22nd Nov 2008, 08:25
All the rules for license conversions and training are contained in 14 CFR Part 61 (http://www.access.gpo.gov/nara/cfr/waisidx_02/14cfr61_02.html).

If you have to do a checkride (CPL), you'll have to get 3 hours of US CFI training and an endorsement. Your ME will transfer onto the PPL issued with your conversion. If you take the IR written test before you apply, the IR will also go on your PPL.

Get your US PPL ASEL/AMEL-Instrument, Airplane on the basis of your foreign license and one written test. One more written, 3 hours training, two endorsements, and two checkrides for upgrading to CPL.

petknu
22nd Nov 2008, 08:34
You can find the answers in your FAR Manual.

You have several options:

1. You can piggyback your ICAO license to a FAA license. Read FAR 61.75.

2. Before the FAA Knowledge and Practical tests, you need endosements from your instructor. Read FAR 61.35 and 61.39. I don't think any instrcutor will endorse you before you have taken a trial test and they have flown with you.

As far as training from instructors not approved by FAA, you should read FAR 61.41, which says training is credited as long as the instructors are authorised by an ICAO member state.