PDA

View Full Version : Standard Flight Training Curriculum

AvEnthusiast
1st Nov 2008, 13:28
Dear Trained Aviators,

I would like to know if there is a standardized flight training curriculum. Or what are the curriculum (training materials) of those well known FTOs in US and UK?
Well I’m a little bit curious about the sufficiency of training materials of flight school where I’m having my flight training. They have provided me with “Pilots Handbook of Aeronautical Knowledge” & “Airplane Flying Handbook” of FAA for PPL and they say that we ganna use these books for our CPL with a one or two more books and an additional book for IR. So I was wondering if they are the sufficient training books for the theory of flight training of CPL/IR & ME. Or is it more less the same with every flying school.

AvEnthusiast
22nd Nov 2008, 07:20
And with 71 views for this one with no replies.

tbavprof
22nd Nov 2008, 08:05
US-wise, those two books, along with Aviation Weather, Aviation Weather Services, and the FAR/AIM should form the beginning of your personal library. There is no "standardized" curriculum, as you can train totally under Part 61. In the 141 outfits, quite a few use the Jeppesen syllabus, especially for IR and CPL. I know Sporty's also has a PPL and IR syllabus that some places use, and (please correct me if I'm wrong here), Cessna had a PPL syllabus as well. I know a lot of the books aimed at CFI's contain some recommended syllabi, but I don't know how many of them are actually in use.

Some of the other posts indicate that there's some form of "standardized" flight training syllabus in the UK, but I'm only familiar by "fallout" of some of the ground training materials.

If you're concerned about the quality of your training or the material covered, you might want to pick up copies of Kerschner's manuals (or Machado if you want a little folksier approach) to add to your library. They're organized a bit better than the FAA pubs, and can give you a good idea if what you need is being covered.

You might also want to examine the expectations on training you've conveyed to your instructors. With the books mentioned in the first paragraph, and a few choice additional AC's, you'll have no problem passing the aeronautical knowledge tests. If you've let on that money's tight and you want to finish up at minimal cost, the recommendations you've been given are sufficient.

Good luck.

petknu
22nd Nov 2008, 08:23
When I received training a Jeppesen kit was used. The theory syllabus was according to Jeppesen Private Pilot Training Syllabus and the practical part was according to Jeppesen Private Pilot Maneuvers Manual. I used a prep software FAA Written Test Preparation Software which helped me a lot. The training a progress was recorded in Jeppesen Private Pilot Record Folder. I am sure other vendors have similar material

The FAA books you mention, are good and inexpensive, but a little dry. You can download other FAA books from their website.

My advice is for you have your instructors track your training and for you to get test guides and/or some assement software. You use the test guides to check that you know the theory.