PDA

View Full Version : Steel fishing rod cases.

Der absolute Hammer
31st Oct 2008, 18:26
Flying to Nassau in next week on wonderful BA. I do not normally check bags in and only carry hand luggage.
Have two fishing rods in steel cylinder cases and these are too long to fit in to flight bag.
Does anyone know if BA and/or security at LHR is going to allow me to carry these on board as hand baggage. The cases are about half a metre long. It is the heaviness of the steel cylinders that is making me worry?

Final 3 Greens
31st Oct 2008, 18:50
Packet a cricket bat and a baseball bat as well, they'll realise you are a sports nut and let you straight through.

Der absolute Hammer
1st Nov 2008, 12:41
Thank you for the stunning idea.

Moira
1st Nov 2008, 13:38
Looking at the link below, I'd say they'll probably only accept it as checked baggage.

British Airways - Sporting Equipment (http://www.britishairways.com/travel/bagsport/public/en_us)

Final 3 Greens
1st Nov 2008, 14:35
Thank you for the stunning idea.

Was that a deliberate pun?

Der absolute Hammer
1st Nov 2008, 14:40
Thank you to.
The whole case is only 30cms long so I will ust give it a flyer I think.

PAXboy
1st Nov 2008, 15:15
BA website
one standard-sized bag - maximum size of the bag must not exceed 56x45x25cm (22x17.5x9.85in) (including wheels, pockets and handles)It is not a bag and they may object for that reason alone. Once they open the tubes, they may decide that they are dangerous weapons - hooks etc. Whilst they might think it improbable that you would assemble the rod and use it malevolently ... since it falls outside the norm, there must be a chance they will insist on it being checked as a special.

Just ask at the check in desk, don't wait until you get to security as that makes it more tedious to make your way back to check-in and a queue a second time. When you get back, you might drop by here to update the thread for future pax to search.

Der absolute Hammer
1st Nov 2008, 16:39
I will keep you posted and thank you for the advuice. There are no hooks, just two rods. It is the weight of the steel case that worries me. It makes a very nice thing to hit people.

Final 3 Greens
1st Nov 2008, 17:43
It makes a very nice thing to hit people.

A stunning conclusion :}

BladePilot
1st Nov 2008, 19:00
Are you angling for flying fish;)

PAXboy
2nd Nov 2008, 01:59
It makes a very nice thing to hit people.Since they positively encourage laptops on board - some can weigh 3Kg - and sell glass litre bottles of liquid ...?? That means they are certainly going to prevent you from taking the cases. :oh: :rolleyes: :ugh:

reventor
4th Nov 2008, 00:20
I think that's a no-go. I believe fishing rods and similar are actually banned as carry-on on all flight to and from the EU, typical knee jerk reaction by legislators desperate to appear to be doing SOMETHING. Flying BA and then perhaps LHR as well reduces your chances further, they both seem particularly eager to apply the strictest possible enforcement on even the most pointless of rules.

ps! Be real careful around Nassau, you might see arriving American carriers, which might very well be filled with yankees holding their precious fishing rods inside the cabin. How these planes make there without being hijacked is something you can ponder while you stand in line waiting to file a missing luggage claim... ;)

Lantern10
4th Nov 2008, 04:10
Probably wouldn't be to hard to knock something up from PVC pipe. Comes in a large range of sizes. Add a shoulder strap and your sorted.

Der absolute Hammer
4th Nov 2008, 21:30
Okay guys - thank you.
Here is what happens.
Terminal 5 LHR this morning.
Approach security with rod roll wrapped in big Tesco bag. 30cms.
Asked what was in the bag and told them a fish rod.
Told must check it in. The steel was not the problem. The rod is the problem.
No problemo, went back and did that and then left it in A15-unusual object drop off.
Plastic wrap station in G at departures.Also downstairs at left luggage at arrivals. L5 a bag.
Rod arrived Bahamas. Bone fish tomorrow.
Terminal 5-no great fun. No real information signs anywhere. Much helpful staff, they need to be. Shops, shops and shops, nothing but shops and for passengers, poor toilet facilities upstairs, miles to walk and narrow passages at arrivals with luggage trolleys - every space taken up by shops.
Long bus ride to aircraft - many buses ridding to fill a full 767.
The BA flight was excellent though.
It is not passenger terminal. It is shopping precinct. Very good food at Wagamamma - very funny to see English peoples in Japanaese restaurant to order full English breakfast. Strange people really?
Thank you for help.