PDA

View Full Version : Japan Fires Air Force Chief Over WWII Claims

ORAC
31st Oct 2008, 17:34
Japan's air force chief sacked over WWII comments (http://afp.google.com/article/ALeqM5hFUYD2227OBceDS5AVSmBAMXG0Pg)

TOKYO (AFP) — Japan sacked its air force chief on Friday after he wrote an essay in which he denied the country was an aggressor in World War II, a stance likely to anger its Asian neighbours.

China, the two Koreas and other Asian nations still have painful memories of Japan's aggression and colonial rule, and there had been speculation that General Toshio Tamogami's comments could strain relations.

"What he said was inappropriate for an air chief of staff as it differs from the government's position. He should not remain in the job," Defence Minister Yasukazu Hamada told a news conference announcing his dismissal.

Prime Minister Taro Aso, also known for his conservative views on history, told reporters: "Even if he expressed it personally, it is inappropriate."..........

Whenurhappy
31st Oct 2008, 17:55
There is a bit of a pattern being set here - first Gen Moseley, now General Toshio Tamogami..who might be next?

themightyimp
1st Nov 2008, 10:26
If the Government has their way it would be Dannat but they have effectively done this by overlooking him for CDS.................. The :mad: :mad:

Chugalug2
1st Nov 2008, 13:32
Whenurhappy:

There is a bit of a pattern being set here

What pattern might that be then, other than this man and yours were both Chiefs of their respective Air Forces, or is that it? In which case 'Dur' I believe is the appropriate colloquialism.
The subject of this thread reflects the state of denial of Japan as a whole of its past, despite begrudging government statements to the contrary. His position that Japan was not an aggressor, and a brutal inhumane one at that, is as bogus as the Nazi government blaming Poland for the incident that plunged us into WW2. Germany faced up to its historic role, Japan has not. It was right to sack him, though foreign outrage at his infamous prize winning essay would have escalated if he hadn't been, and I suspect that was the clincher rather than any domestic protest which would have been politely minimal.

themightyimp
1st Nov 2008, 17:28
I thought that denial was in deegypt............