PDA

View Full Version : RANT IR training

scults
30th Oct 2008, 19:51
Hi
Anyone that could point me in the direction for a program like RANT to help with IR as RANT is a little pricey? also wouldn't it be cool for a apple app to help in training, oh well

Capt Loop
1st Nov 2008, 17:10
RANT is an excellent programme and helped me loads for my Instrument Rating,

I dont know of any programme that comes close to RANT for helping with IR training other than possibly Flight Sim to a point !!!

Once you start your IR training and start using RANT you will see how good value it is then.

Capt Loop

ChrisLKKB
1st Nov 2008, 19:09
It's useful but not £80 quids worth useful.

Unfotunately here's not much else availble that i've seen although you can use MS FS (98 or above) quite effectively, practicing navaid tracking, routes and proceedures using the autopilot functions.

I'd save yourself £50 tbh.

mcgoo
1st Nov 2008, 19:15
This is quite a good free site for starting the IR, has VOR/HSI/ADF/RMI etc simulators to get you used to where the aircraft is and what is shown on the instruments.

luizmonteiro - Learning & Tutorials - Altimeter Simulator (http://www.luizmonteiro.com/Learning.aspx)

Keygrip
1st Nov 2008, 20:47
729 pounds test fee for the most stunningly easy flight test to fail. Less than 50% pass first attempt.

Couple of hours of aircraft rental, at some 6 pounds per minute to run the engines, to do the test with.

Not worth the cost at 80 pounds?

If the RANT disc saves you 13 minutes of flight time (or taxi time) by allowing you to figure out just what the hell is going on with those needles, then it's worth the money.

sion22
2nd Nov 2008, 01:32
£729 test fee - jeepers!

If we can't get airline jobs we should become CAA examiners

at that price I will pay the extra not to fail or go over hours in my IR training

ford cortina
2nd Nov 2008, 11:17
Keygrip is right, I paid the money for Rant, still use it now every time I have a OPC coming up, just to keep holds fresh in my head. Normally the FMC in the 737 does this for you, but during OPC's it tends to be broke, along with the autopilot and autothrottle.
Oh and I passed my IR first time.

scults
3rd Nov 2008, 21:42
Cheers for the advice, it seems like RANT is the only way to go then. Still i think it would be nice if they could make a sort of mobile version for the Iphone (i know its a little geeky)

Mikehotel152
5th Nov 2008, 18:24
This is simple.

Average SIM hourly rate, say, £150.

Average Twin IR-type aircraft hourly rate, £350.

RANT XL costs £89 and is pre-loaded with a large number of regularly used STARs and SIDs including Cranfield.

So if RANT saves you half an hour in the SIM or 15 minutes in the aircraft you've broken even.

And once you've got your IR and need to brush up to keep those skills because your 4000th CV had gone unnoticed, load up RANT....:ok:

Keygrip
5th Nov 2008, 19:27
Think that's pretty much what I said on Saturday, MH.

ChrisLKKB
5th Nov 2008, 21:23
Approach plates are free on the NATS website NATS | AIS - Home (http://www.nats-uk.ead-it.com/public/index.php%3Foption=com_content&task=blogcategory&id=6&Itemid=13.html)

If you already have one of the Microsoft flight sims you can fly the airplane using the auto pilot functions just as you would on the rant sim. (I expect you can pick up fs 2000 for a tenner).

I've seen nothing here so far to convince me that there's any advantage in paying the extra cash for rant, and I also passed the IR skills test (FAA and CAA) first time.

I have rant 2000 but found fs2000 just as useful. I also downloaded an aircraft from one of the many flight sim websites for free with similar performance and the same panel layout as the test aircraft so it helped with the scan and cockpit familiarisation.

What does an approach cost these days ? You could probably get a couple in for 80 quid.

Tootles the Taxi
5th Nov 2008, 22:00
£729 test fee - jeepers!

If we can't get airline jobs we should become CAA examiners

And in your spare time you could make a few bob by writing some instrument training software like er ... RANT :}.