PDA

View Full Version : Heli-Pad London EC1?

pistongone
29th Oct 2008, 14:01
Afternoon Gents.
I was just driving through London near St Pauls Cathedral and i saw what looked like a twin Squirell landing just to the north of me on some roof tops!! I wasn't aware of any landing sites in the built up areas of London, or was it an emergency of some kind?

lotusexige
29th Oct 2008, 14:59
I worked in Farringdon Road for some years and a helicopter did land from time to time on a nearby building. The legend, whether true or not, was that it transported diamonds to and from a diamond merchant there. Could be true I suppose as it was just beside Hatton Garden

Rj111
29th Oct 2008, 15:12
I just happen to live in EC1 and there is a helipad on top of a building.

Here (http://maps.google.com/maps?sourceid=navclient&ie=UTF-8&rls=RNWE,RNWE:2006-03,RNWE:en&q=51.518426%2C-0.10615&um=1&sa=N&tab=wl)

pistongone
29th Oct 2008, 15:27
Well i think we can surmise it must be someone/thing important? I seem to recall someone trying to get a Helipad on a barge in the Thames and was told no one could have one that close to central london, well these guys certainly seem to know the right;) sort of people, with the requisite rubber stamp to hand:= Funny hand shakes any one?

Rj111
29th Oct 2008, 15:36
It's used very rarely, perhaps a couple of times a year, so maybe they have some kind of agreement.

Would be a brilliant way to get into the city quickly i must say.

Special 25
29th Oct 2008, 15:56
I think it is a Diamond Exchange building. They've had a Squirrel running in and out of their occasionally for quite a while - At least 15 years I think, but I've no idea really how often. Still I've been watching a lot of 'Spooks' on the BBC so the whole diamond thing may be just a front !!

pistongone
29th Oct 2008, 16:24
Are there any other roof top heli pads in london? I dont recall seeing any? Which makes this one interesting as i think it may well be unique?(rooftop helipad in central london)

Flingingwings
29th Oct 2008, 17:26
Not that unique really.
One on the roof of the hospital for the Virgin Air Ambulance and the roof of Harrods has one also.

FW

TiPwEiGhT
29th Oct 2008, 17:41
Is that the DeBeers helicopter "Diamond One"? Does it not take the head poncho to work everyday?

pistongone
29th Oct 2008, 17:52
Flingingwings I forgot about the London hospital, but i was thinking imore in terms of private opp's rather than Police/AirAmb etc. Just checked out the Harrods one!! Is it used much? Cant recall seeing one going in or out of there?

Spitfire boy
29th Oct 2008, 17:54
Is this the former Rupert Maxwell HQ building?

docstone
29th Oct 2008, 20:26
Nicky Openheimer's AS355N landing at De Boers

birrddog
29th Oct 2008, 21:21
Don't know if that ever got activated...

The story I heard was along the lines of...

Fayed built it for himself, and was told he would only get permission if it was available as a "public" / business charter location...

Flingingwings
29th Oct 2008, 21:27
Close but no cigar I'm afraid.

Harrods helipad was built after all the necessary constructin permissions had been obtained.

The Local Authority then refused permission for it to be used :ugh::ugh:

birrddog
29th Oct 2008, 21:33
That's what I was referring to; my point was what I heard the excuse they gave him was it could not be used for personal use (i.e. what he wanted it for) but had to be a business service, i.e. Harrods Scenic Flights around London...

Could be complete bollocks that's just a rumor I heard....

Bravo73
29th Oct 2008, 21:38
FYI, birrddog, but FW is the 'horse's mouth', so to speak. :p

birrddog
29th Oct 2008, 21:43
Consider me suitably put in place!

Just don't like anyone telling me I can't have a cigar ;)
(although Mrs Birrddog would be happy)

vital actions
29th Oct 2008, 22:14
http://www.pprune.org/rotorheads/67068-morning-drop-offs-central-london.html

Flingingwings
29th Oct 2008, 22:26
Oh ok, you can have a cigar.:}

Given the Harrods aircraft are available and used for charter, it would seem pointless to exclude access to the shop :confused:

And given some of the gripes concerning Battersea heliport, I'm sure an alternative would be gratefully received :p

Good rumour though ;)

location man
3rd Feb 2009, 16:03
hello, I've just joined your community and already I have a confession-
I'm not a pilot, sorry. I was doing a google search for a helipad in central London to use as a film location. I am working on the next series of a popular tv drama (I think Special 25 likes this show). I know nothing of helipads and google led me to your thread about this.
Can anyone help me with any information about where it might be possible to land a helicopter in central London? Being someone who knows nothing about this I assumed there must be dozens of places but this perhaps isn't the case

Anyhow, sorry gatecrash.

TRC
3rd Feb 2009, 16:56
location man, check your pm's.

scooter boy
3rd Feb 2009, 17:05
So, which location was used when Sir Sean Connery supposedly took off in a squirrel allegedly from a London rooftop bound for his scottish castle in the film Entrapment with CZJ?
Was it London?

SB

Freewheel
3rd Feb 2009, 20:34
Come on Chaps!

On a day when one's Bentley won't get one past the peasants and their snowball fights, one has to make do with a "plan B" and see if one's initiative is applauded!

helispeediii
4th Feb 2009, 11:53
hi location man i think there are many heli sites in london,used to be one on group 4 seen seen fron the thames has been used for tv ads get advise from david arkle ar seven avaition he used to do a lot of picture work regards heli seed iii ps yoll need variuos consents from owners /feds/ council but it poss

rattle
4th Feb 2009, 20:18
Check your PMs location man.

Rattle

HeathrowAirport
4th Feb 2009, 20:54
Helicopters can land In anywhere in the London R160/UNL zone if they have 2 engines, so in the event of an engine failure, it wont be a crash or disaster, It will be a safe one engine powered landing.

The Helicopters that operate into this area are Normally, UKP251 (Police 251) and and HEL27 (Helimed).

The London Air Ambulance can land normal were it can fit in and out, It lands in various parks, many I have witnessed near Kings College Hospital (Ruskin Park) a few occasions and video evidence to prove it, they have landed in streets in the west end, Most recently near Kensington or the busy Piccadilly circus and Trafalgar Square.

I have also noticed, due the area I live in UKP251 going as low as the nearby local flats.

Quick Question on that for myself, how does radar pick the choppers up on radar, if its well below Radar SFC.

Regards,

R..

JimL
5th Feb 2009, 06:31
Helicopters can land In anywhere in the London R160/UNL zone if they have 2 engines, so in the event of an engine failure, it wont be a crash or disaster, It will be a safe one engine powered landing.Oh the naiveté of youth!

'Location man', check the credentials of 'HeathrowAirport' before you take note of what was said.

Jim

ShyTorque
5th Feb 2009, 07:17
Helicopters can land In anywhere in the London R160/UNL zone if they have 2 engines, so in the event of an engine failure, it wont be a crash or disaster, It will be a safe one engine powered landing.

Yes, I often land in there in my twin to pick up a newspaper or a pizza. I always go in under the radar, using stealth mode at night.

:E

HEATHROW DIRECTOR
16th Feb 2009, 08:47
<<if its well below Radar SFC.>>

Not sure what you mean by "SFC" but the low cover depends on the type of radar in use. Certainly, the radars used for controlling helicopters in the London Control Zone can see helicopters just airborne from Battersea. I've certainly seen the SSR labels of helicopters on the ground several miles away from Heathrow.

chevvron
16th Feb 2009, 12:48
The new Heathrow 10cm radar near T4 has even better low cover!!(Yes better than the 23cm in the central area)

bigsimmer
19th Feb 2009, 09:52
OK Guys and Gals, some FACTS.

In addition to the London Hospital, Whitechapel - still active for London HEMS - there were three roof-top helipads operational some 20 years ago.

One was on top of the International Press Centre from where the old style newsprint presses were flown overnight to enable printing at other newspaper presses around the country. Although I believe it is still there memory (admittedly not what it once was!) suggests that the last time it was used was several years ago for a Rowan Atkinson credit card advertisement.

The second was on top of Robert Maxwell's office block, next door to the old Mirror Group building. Used regularly by the old villain's Twin Squirrel while he was alive - and again still visible from above - it is, to my knowledge, no longer active.

The third, close by across Holborn Viaduct, is still operational by a private owner. Some reading this will know more details, many will speculate. I believe in an individual's right to privacy. This particular helipad has been in operation for well over 20 years and is approved by the Civil Aviation Auhority Aerodrome Standards section of the Safety Regulation Group, having fully met the required safety standards.

The owner of the Harrod's building did indeed commission a helicopter pad for the roof in the mid 1990's. A full and thorough study was carried out and a safe design, including full fire and rescue equipment, approved and constructed. Trials were conducted using a Twin Squirrel helicopter and these included noise recordings taken at street level at various locations in the surrounding area. Despite the noise of the helicopter being less than that of the general traffic - and therefore failing, pretty much, to register, such was the lobbying strength of local residents - just check the price of properties in and around Sloane Square - that "Change of Use" planning applications were unsuccessful. So there it sits, ready to go but un-used.

All air traffic within the London Heathrow Control Zone is controlled by ATC. Any aircraft wishing to enter the zone will require clearance to do so, either IFR - eg scheduled aircraft in and out of LHR - OR Special VFR. For SVFR there is a dedicated team of controllers who become extremely good at their job. Invariably helpful they are able to monitor individual progress and WILL advise you if you stray more than a few metres from the designated routes.

Long-winded, I know, but perhaps useful to answer some queries and to end unhelpful speculation.

FarTooManyUsers
6th Sep 2011, 23:21
Helicopter spotted taking of in the afternoon of Tuesday 6th September 2011.

toptobottom
11th Sep 2011, 10:01
G-STRL on the 'Helipad in EC1'

http://i851.photobucket.com/albums/ab71/prooner/G-STRL.jpg

FarTooManyUsers
9th Oct 2011, 13:06
thanks for the pic - i presume that was taken on the helipad near Holborn Viaduct ?

i've seen the same helicopter (at least the same colours) quite a few times since then ...

JimBall
9th Oct 2011, 15:38
Landing a Private flight on a London rooftop with a twin is one thing. Getting an approval for an AOC is another.......I'm suspecting they will apply the same restrictions as they do for Vanguard. No HUMS, no AOC flight.

toptobottom
9th Oct 2011, 20:17
The pad's at 51 31.107N, 0 6.371W, at 17 Charterhouse St, EC1

It's only a matter of time before HUMS will be EASA mandated for all AOC flights..

JTobias
9th Oct 2011, 21:19
TTB

Are you 51?
as in 51 years old ?

You old git !
51 !

Got to go now, and laugh
;-)

Joel x

PS I know, I'm ugly, and a lousy pilot but I'm not 51 !