PDA

View Full Version : Cabair Week Zero Maths and Physics

rogerthat777
29th Oct 2008, 12:06
Has anyone attended the Cabair Week Zero Maths and Physics prep week before?

If so, has it been worth it or would the Oxford Maths and Physics CDROM training discs suffice?

Cheers

Bonanza_Driver
29th Oct 2008, 12:10
Uhm, let me guess, you're starting groundschool next week? Is that the week you're talking about?

Flying Squid
30th Oct 2008, 14:41
Week 'Zero' is all about practising re-arranging equations, using the CRP-5 to convert things like CAS to TAS and you will most likely get a basic introduction to the subjects that you will be studying on your first module ,which if you are starting week zero on Monday will be Instruments, HGK and Air Law. Hope this helps. FS :ok:

maxdrypower
30th Oct 2008, 19:29
I am without doubt the biggest foxtrotwit on the planet when it comes to maths believe me , im so bad they wouldnt even enter me for maths GCE not this poncy GCSE thing , thats how old I am.
I have succesfully completed the atpls with very little understanding of maths , I can just about understand how to rearrange a very simple formula and my arithmetic is almost juvenile . I used the oxford CD and found it to of absolutely no help whatsoever .It confused me teaching me things that thoughout the entire course I have never encountered (yes I was on a full time very well run GS course) I would save your money
The part that hepled me the most was that discussed by Mr squid above , the initial week when basic formula CRP/5 work etc etc is all covered and a bit of ppl brush up , I believe it is pretty much the same whichever school you attend , but I wouldnt spend money on a maths brush up CD I did and it helped me pass the exams in no way at all . Admittedly had I understood it etc etc my groundschool may well have been a bit easier , but I made it through , almost unscathed , so it is possible .
Good luck

m04scott
1st Nov 2008, 10:12
I started Cabair back in sept, I found the week Zero really helpfull, I would recomend going to it.

I take my first set of exams next week, you will prob start with Perf, Mass Balance, Flight Planning, Ops, HPnL, R-Nav.

Keith.Williams.
1st Nov 2008, 14:55
I am the CGI at EPTA.

When the EPTA ground school started in 2002 there as no weeks zero. We went straight into the ATPL modules from the first day. I believe that many schools still do this.

But the students in a typical modular class range from those who have recently completed a science based degree, to those who have never been able to do maths and have never taken any GCSE exams. This can cause problems when teaching subjects that involve any significant amount of maths or physics. POF, PERF, MET and GNAV are good examples of such subjects.

To overcome this problem I introduced Week Zero in 2004. It increased the duration of the course by 1 week. It is free in the sense that the course fees were never increased to account for Week Zero. Although it is primarily designed for students who are about to start a full time course with us, it is also available to students who are about to start our distance learning course.

Any spares spaces are also made available free of charge to people who are not signed up for any type of course with CABAIR or EPTA. Quite a few people who have taken up these spare places have seen how good we are and have subsequently decided to do their training with us. This is why we give away free spare places on week zero.

Students on the Week Zero Course must make their own arrangements for their food and accommodation and must pay their own costs. But EPTA plays no part in these arrangements, other than to provide an extensive list of accommodation providers within easy tavel distance of the school. Students are under no obbligation to select accommodation from the list. They can stay wherever they wish.

Week Zero takes place when the existing students are away at the JAR Exams. So the Week Zero students have the classrooms to themselves for a week to prepare for the start of their first module.

The basic structure of week zero is as follows.

10 period of mathematics. This covers all of the types of maths that will be need during the ATPL course. The main emphasis is placed on trigonometry and rearranging of equations. Each subject is explained and demonstrated by the instructor. The students then carry out practice exercise using a worksheet. The questions in these worksheets are typical of those that must be done during the ATPL course.

10 Periods of CRP5 work. This covers all of the functions of the CRP 5. Once again the processes are explained, demonstrated then practiced.

10 periods of physics/POF. This includes such things as Newtons Laws, Acceleration, Velocity, Distance, and the gas laws, plus a review of PPL POF.

The remaining 10 periods are used to cover a number of subjects which depend of which of the ATPL modules the students will do first. If for example a student is to start on the RNAV module, then week zero will include basic radio theory. If starting on the Instruments module, then Week Zero will inlcude some GNAV to prepare for compasses and Inertial Systems.

After Week Zero the students who are joining us on Monday morning will be split between two classes for the ATPL modules, in order to balance the class sizes.

One of classes will be doing PERF, PLANNING, RNAV, OPS, M&B and HP&L in their first module. So week zero will include radio theory and lots of POF. The second group will be doing AGK, INST and LAW in their first module, so Week Zero will include some GNAV.

Throughout the four years since I introduced week zero, I have never yet met a student who did not appreciate its value in preparing them for the main course. I have however met a number of students who did not make themseleves available for Week Zero, then went on to regret it during their subsequent ATPL training.

We cannot work any miracles in a single week. But we can make a difference.

weido_salt
1st Nov 2008, 15:43
I am going to let you into a little secret. Please don't tell anyone but I left school at 15. Yes and with not one qualification to show for it. Played up the whole time.

I went to Oxford ATS mid seventies to convert a foreign CPL to a UK ATPL. The first week at the school was maths revision. For me it was learning!! They got me through so they can get anyone through.

God bless the OATS.

Another thing I would like to mention is this. 1st day the principal interviewed the class and told us that we needed to put in a minimum of 40 hours per week home study. If you got behind in the work, you were history as far as passing any examinations were concerned. Best £100 I ever spent towards aviation training.