PDA

View Full Version : Arik Air Q400

mistarose
29th Oct 2008, 09:08
Does anyone know if Arik Air has received or if they haven't yet, approximately when they will receive any Q400s?

dakotanorb
1st Nov 2008, 22:40
I was in Toronto just now and the Aircraft left before 6th October

mistarose
2nd Nov 2008, 06:29
Thanks a lot!:D

Jeffdh17
6th Nov 2008, 23:53
Take this info with a grain of salt because its from a recruiting office. I was told that they would arrive next month.

Gaius Westman
3rd Feb 2009, 09:06
Thats what I am hearing as well. With the oil prices down, the free flowing money in Nigeria is starting to dry up.

Gaius

seper
4th Feb 2009, 06:28
WESTCOASTER are you sure ARIK Q400 have been bought by FLYBE?

They have crews trainned already

pls tell me you are joking?

406pilot
4th Feb 2009, 12:01
hi guys,

any further news on the q400's, when are they scheduled to arrive? any arik dash guys please pm me.

keep it up there fellows,

no more 406pilot

Max_Power
10th Feb 2009, 03:18
I hear the Q400s aren't going to arrive in Nigeria until June or July. Has anyone else heard this?

Although assessments are still being scheduled and pilots being hired so the planes must still be coming.......let's hope so anyway for the pilots already hired.

mistarose
10th Feb 2009, 03:55
This is ridiculous, all these rumors... Anyone have anything concrete?

Max_Power
10th Feb 2009, 16:18
Flybe did take possession of Arik Air's Q400 from Bombardier due to contractual issues. Apparently Bombardier wants money for these things?? Who knew!
This has caused the delay until June or July.

We will just have to wait and see how this fiasco plays out.

Max_Power

WhatThe?
14th Feb 2009, 03:36
How many Q400's are they going to have?

Jeffdh17
14th Feb 2009, 15:02
I believe seven. 2 that are ready, plus 2 on order, plus three from SAS. That's what I've been told.

One eye chimp
15th Feb 2009, 02:32
Don't know anything about whats happening but have a question....
I went to an interview in London in Dec for Q400 Capt position, have just been paid the 50% of airfare but still am as informed on what is happening as the locals are in inner Mongolia.

Anyone in same boat?

mistarose
15th Feb 2009, 19:47
I was interviewed back in October, got the job and so forth. Was told about 3 weeks ago that my sim training would be in Mid February and haven't heard anything from them since.

I am being very patient, and hope it all works out. Q400 FO

Edit:

I would also like to add that I have a friend who met some Arik Air Q400 pilots training in Toronto.

Jeffdh17
16th Feb 2009, 15:28
I wouldn't worry too much about it. I'm here now doing my indoc training. I'm just about finished and then I'll be going back home until the planes arrive. There's one other Q400 pilot here with me as well. The last info I was given about two days ago from the fleet manager is that Mid March is the new delivery date. Of course that is subject to change, but that's the info I have.

Do you have a contact at Arik? It might be good to get in touch just to remind them you are ready when they are.

Happy waiting. There's just more waiting once you get here, but I suppose the difference is your being paid to wait. LOL. Good Luck, see you here soon.

If you have a chance let me know where you are coming from.

mistarose
16th Feb 2009, 16:12
So far the only contact I have is with Sigmar Aviation. I'm from Washington State. Could you PM me and provide me with the fleet manager's email or some other contact with Arik?

I agree it would be beneficial to do so, where did you do your required pro check? Any info you have about the process would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Jeffdh17
17th Feb 2009, 11:49
Mitarose,

Check your PM's....

WhatThe?
9th Mar 2009, 17:35
Heard alot of ASA pilots from Norway/sweden have taken most of the Q400 jobs??? Anyone else hear this....or is there still hope?

Bartholomew
9th Mar 2009, 21:13
Hi guys - pse would you PM me with your contract deals... I'm a little dubious, to say the least? Many thanks

atpcliff
10th Mar 2009, 02:27
Hi!

My buddy is at Arik on the -900. He said from hire date to arival in Lagos, was 5 months.

I am supposed to leave for Nairobi in about a week (after being told I would fly out 1 Mar).

Africa is S-L-O-W.....

It takes a L-O-N-G...time to get anything done.

Schedules are slipped (for my op, 3rd airplane due this month, but now next month), everything takes longer than planned, plans change, etc., etc.

P-A-T-I-E-N-C-E is DEFINTIELY required when you are dealing with African aviation.

cliff
GRB

icedash
10th Mar 2009, 20:15
Hi

I applied to Arik Air for the Q400, still waiting for dates for the assessments.
I already have a DHC8-100 check but will need to bond for 2years for the upgrade.

Just wanted to see if I can get some info here from you guys.

Is anyone willing to pm me the approx amount of the bond incase of termination before 2years(for an FO if there is any difference...)?

How long did the upgrade training take?

Anyone already in Lagos?
If so how is the accommodation?

Or are you all at home still waiting?

Thnx :)

atpcliff
11th Mar 2009, 15:55
Hi!

My buddy is on the CRJ-900 for Arik. He lives in a hotel (provided) for the 60 days he's on. He sent photos: It's OK-small and nothing great.

His driver carries an AK-47.

Always wanted to go to Iceland!

cliff
KGRB

TonyWilliams
12th Mar 2009, 21:01
My buddy is on the CRJ-900 for Arik. He lives in a hotel (provided) for the 60 days he's on. He sent photos: It's OK-small and nothing great.

His driver carries an AK-47.

It's 56 days on, 28 off. Some of the hotels are truly quite nice, even by western standards. And some are truly are not. A broad range.

If somebody can tell me how to post pictures here, I will.

Dee
13th Mar 2009, 11:49
Can anyone provide any more info on the contract terms and conditions, feel free to PM me with addition info as the websites are very brief just stating :

USD3500-5500 for F/O and USD8000 for captains

are there any additional allowances, and is this pay during the 4 weeks off or only when operating?

Jeffdh17
13th Mar 2009, 14:34
Pay is every month. Even on off months. You get 10,000 Naira for overnight trips. About 60-70 USD.

TonyWilliams
13th Mar 2009, 18:06
The pay is after Nigerian taxes, but you may have a tax liability in your home country. If you are a captain on any equipment, your pay will be $8000 in US dollars. But, only $7200 will be deposit by wire transfer to your bank account. The remainder will be paid in local currency (Naira) in cash. Pay day is the end of the month, typically paid a few days to a week after the fact.

The over night payment of N$10,000 ($70) is paid in cash prior to your trip on that day. You can buy a lot of beer for that.

The other payment is $1,000 US paid for recurrent training. Both captains and FO's do 6 month recurrent.

There's probably not a lot you'd want to spend money on here. You won't have a car, for instance. No shopping malls around here, or fast food, 24 hour stores, etc. Not many brand names you'd recognize.

Dee
14th Mar 2009, 01:02
Whats the deal with the bond if you already have the Q400 rating and time on type?

Also the nigerian tax deduction does that come out of your pay, for example pay is $8000 per month less Nigerian tax Example 10% so you receive $7200 in your bank, or does the compnay pay the nigerian tax so your salary is untouched and you receive the full $8000.

Where do you stay in Lagos?

Where do the sim sessions take place and i assume they fly you there and provide accomodation, and is this time during the 2 month on period?

thanks for any info.

Utrinque
14th Mar 2009, 01:12
I am a Captain on the B737 and am interested in joining. Can anyone PM me the email for recruitment or fleet manager.

I have been through the agencies but they tell me that Arik Air is not recruiting anytime soon! :ugh:

JamaicanFlyer
14th Mar 2009, 03:06
So is Arik Air paying the Q400 guys they have already trained?? because thats basically a paid vacation

mistarose
14th Mar 2009, 04:01
You begin getting paid the day you first leave for Lagos. I haven't been paid yet, although they paid for my Q400 recurrent training, because I haven't yet been to Lagos.

Last I heard they are getting the 400s in April, I think I'll finally be sent to Lagos in 1-2 weeks to get my Nigerian License and medical and take care of all the other nonsense.

Dee
14th Mar 2009, 08:08
so mistarose are you bonded?

TomBola
14th Mar 2009, 12:45
Friends flying Dash 8s for Aero tell me they're really worried because the word is that Aero is going to sell all its Dash 8s. I wonder if Arik would take them (and their pilots) over?

From a report from the EFCC to former President Obasanjo, it would seem that Arik has plenty of cash available:

xiv. It was further established that Rockson Engineering Company Limited transferred over $120million through JM/JEM Air and one Thomas Eggar, a lawyer in the UK, to various bank accounts overseas. Over GBP2million and EURO 1million were also transferred overseas in the same manner. These transfers were done between January and November 2006. It is important to note that all the naira denomination of these transfers were direct lodgements originating from Rivers state Government accounts.

xv. It has also been established that Mr Arumemi-Ikhide the business partner of the Rivers State Governor, is the owner of ARIK AIR LIMITED. He used monies received from the Rivers state Government to acquire all the assets and aircrafts of the company estimated to be worth over =N= 25billion.

xvi.The Political and business relationship between Dr. Odili and Mr Arumemi-Ikhide has become more obvious since the former’s declaration to run for the Presidency. Investigation conducted at various hotels such as Transcorp Hilton, le Meridien, Sheraton etc in Abuja revealed that the Odili campaign organization made bookings worth =N=130 million through his campaign management team. The money came directly from the accounts of Arik Air Ltd. The origin of the money is linked directly to Mr. Arumemi-Ikhide for Dr. Odili’s campaign.

Point Blank News - EFC Report
(http://www.pointblanknews.com/os1540.html)

TonyWilliams
14th Mar 2009, 16:27
Also the nigerian tax deduction does that come out of your pay, for example pay is $8000 per month less Nigerian tax Example 10% so you receive $7200 in your bank, or does the compnay pay the nigerian tax so your salary is untouched and you receive the full $8000.

The latter. Your salary is AFTER nigerian taxes. Not a factor, you won't see them. You will receive the full $8000 as a captain, and of that total amount, 90% ($7200 USD) will be deposited via wire transfer to your bank account. The remaining 10% ($800 USD) will be paid to you in local currency cash (about N$120,000 naira).

You're welcome to slam/click your 56 days and not spend the local money.

If you are based in the US, you may be subject to taxes there. See IRS form 2555, "Foreign Earned Income". Generally, you are exempt from US taxes up to $91,400 USD, but you STILL HAVE TO FILE THE TAX FORM !!!!!!! The requirements are:

1.) More than 330 days out of the US.

or

2.) Foreign residency status (not a work visa)

Expect to get audited, so you better have your taxes done right.

Where do you stay in Lagos?

At a number of hotels. Obviously, not a good idea to post on a public forum where those are. Transport to work is provided by Arik. All food is paid for, however alcohol drinks are your responsibility.

Where do the sim sessions take place and i assume they fly you there and provide accomodation, and is this time during the 2 month on period?

Your 6 month sims are during your 56 work days. Boeing recurrents are typically done in London; Bombardier at Denver, Minneapolis, Toronto or Montreal. There may be others. Yes, they fly you there. Hotel and food provided for.

mistarose
14th Mar 2009, 18:27
Yes I am bonded for 6 months since they paid for my recurrent training.

icedash
15th Mar 2009, 12:14
You guys that have been through the assessment for Q400 can u pls tell me a little bit about it?

Exams on the prev day, sim on the second day. No interview?
Is the exams on the prev day psyciatric, technical and/or IQ test?

You can pm me if you don´t want to post those info here.

mistarose
15th Mar 2009, 18:40
The assessment is just as everyone has been reporting.

1st day:
Computer Testing, HR and Pilot interview you.

Lots of info in these forums on the various tests you do on the computer.

2nd day:
737 sim, you'll do 2 dual engine ILS approaches with a few maneuvers before the 1st one.