PDA

View Full Version : Time to undertake ATPL(A) study/exams for QSP(H)

sarboy w****r
28th Oct 2008, 22:38
Hi All,

I'm interested in what means there are (if any) by which it is possible to obtain ATPL(A) exam credits, assuming that I'm a QSP(H), and more or less eligible for the bridging package (am on the very cusp of 2000 hrs, issue to be decided by PLD). Do you have to do all 14 exams? I'm interested in the quickest, most direct method of obtaining an ATPL(A), and am not bothered about obtaining a CPL/ATPL(H) en route.

Also, how long would it take to study enough to pass the exams, assuming I were to work full time at them?

Thanks,

SBW

Aeronut
28th Oct 2008, 23:11
Talk to Alex Wittingham at Bristol groundschool.

:ok:

Stupidbutsaveable
29th Oct 2008, 10:13
Alex at BS is definitely the man to talk to. I followed exactly the route you are planning 3 years ago.

However read LASORS as well, as the devil is definitely in the detail. Assuming QSP(H) you should be able to take the Mil Bridging to get ATPL(H) Theory and then bridge again from ATPL(H) to ATPL(A). Beware though, you must now open at least a CPL(H) before you can sit the CAA ATPL(A) composite paper! This caught me out and I had to buy some R22 time as I was no longer current. Don't underestimate how long it takes as the process is sequential.

PM me if you want more detail.

Stupid

I'm Off!
29th Oct 2008, 11:00
If you have to, all 14 exams start to finish can be done in 6 months or less - and when I did that I was busy pretty much every weekend, and only able to study evenings. I chose this way as I didn't want to wait for my final requirements, or waste time arguing with the CAA.

Once I'd got the CPL(A)/IR, I sent off the forms for CPL(H) - no requirements at all, just a paperwork exercise.

Worth thinking about, but Alex Whittingham is a good person to bounce ideas off.

sarboy w****r
29th Oct 2008, 19:54
Thanks, I'm in the process of talking to BGS now!

I've been advised that the Mil to (H) to (A) route may well be withdrawn at the end of Nov when the rules change - it's up in the air at the moment. And I would definitely need to become current for a CPL(H), so the 14 exam route is looking like a painful but necessary process as being the quickest and most reliable method...

I'm figuring that if schools that offer integrated courses have a schedule of ~28 weeks for groundschool, that if I were to be in the position of being able to study full time that I could at least look to improve on that somewhat. Does anyone have experience in having done this? Would 4 months be completely unrealistic?

And how far in advance do you need to book exams please?

Cheers,

SBW

I'm Off!
29th Oct 2008, 20:18
I think with full time study 4 months is eminently possible. One issue is that you need to book the 2 wk residential brushups in advance, usually 1-2 months, sitting the exams straight afterwards. This would mean booking the brushup and exams for Mod 1 as soon as the coursework arrives. BGS usually want to see a certain amount of progress and results before they'll accept a booking for the brushup, and sign off an exam application. This is not a show stopper, but will require close liaison with Alex Whittingham, as it is him you'll need to convince that you are competent and will be ready.

Alex Whittingham
29th Oct 2008, 21:29
The ATPL(H) to (A) bridging route isn't under threat in November. What is happening is that the CAA are introducing proper rotary exams and binning the old 'interim' procedure effective for people starting training after the end of Nov 08. Unfortunately we haven't had enough notice of this to produce the required training material so there will be a gap, from the end of Nov 08 to around April 09, where we will be unable to start anyone on an ATPL(H) course or a rotary Military Bridging course.

You definitely need to hold at least a CPL(H) before you start the (H) to (A) bridging, just as SbutS says above, but it shouldn't be a problem if you're in current flying practise. Before the end of Nov 08 we can be quite relaxed about the training required for the bridging course - the phrase is 'training at the discretion of the Head of Training of an approved FTO' - but the CAA have told us that after the end of Nov 08 we'll need to have a proper approved course to bridge from (H) to (A) which will inevitably mean it will be more expensive, comparable in price to the other bridging courses.

4 months is possible but tight for all 14 exams and would involve an element of 'monkey see, monkey do' unless you're a naturally academic pilot / A2 or A1 QHI etc. If you want to get the tick quickly and cheaply the best route is rotary military bridging followed by (H) to (A) bridging, if you want to stack away a bit more background knowledge I would suggest doing all 14 exams.

Exam bookings close 10 working days ( i.e. a fortnight) before the exam dates. Crammer courses need to be booked 3 to 4 months in advance at the moment.