PDA

View Full Version : Cape Town Flight Training Centre

BORO-22
28th Oct 2008, 21:23
I have been quoted R195 000 to get my PPL/CPL with CTFTC. Does anyone know if this a good school? I know 43 and another few in Joburg have been discussed but found nothing on them.
Any help much appreciated!!!

AlphaMale
2nd Nov 2008, 23:33
I have been quoted R195 000 to get my PPL/CPL with CTFTC

I am researching SA schools too, have you been told how long the PPL/CPL will take to complete there?

I've had info back from SAFTA saying that it'll take 75 to 90 days to complete my PPL and 10 to 12 months to complete my PPL/IR+CPL?!? This seems like a long time considering schools in Florida advertise a PPL in 21 days. I guess I was expecting to achieve my PPL between 25 to 50 days with the right instruction in the right weather conditions?

What does the R195,000 get you exactly? Is that with accommodation?

The figures I have from SAFTA are R72,400 (£4,600) + Flight and Accommodation for the PPL (C172).

Although I'd love to take the year out and complete the PPL, Night, Hour Building, ME IR & CPL with them at R283,375 (£18,040) + Flight and Accommodation.

Accommodation seem pretty cheap and a flight from LGW to CPT seems reasonable too.

BORO-22
3rd Nov 2008, 14:49
I can't remember exact timing but from the phone call I had, she thought it would take approx 12-14months. Not bad in my mind.
Unfortunately it does not include accomdation, but still seemed pretty good considering I would not live in Germiston (fairly rough).

Course included PPL/NR, Commercial theory, CPL, and IR, does not include multi engine rating.

Have you looked at PE as they seem to have some highly recommended FTO's?

Leezyjet
3rd Nov 2008, 18:15
I've had info back from SAFTA saying that it'll take 75 to 90 days to complete my PPL

Blimey thats an age. I completed my PPL in under 20 days at Algoa in PE, although that was not normal, with 4-6 weeks being more the norm. It cost me less than £3,500 and that was with accomodation just over 3 years ago.

Try looking at some of the PE outfits such as Algoa and Aptrac or even Progress. PE isn't a bad little town to spend a few months flying and hanging out in.

:ok:

BORO-22
3rd Nov 2008, 19:02
And considering the current exchange rate, it would seem ideal. Would your suggestion then be to come back and do the ATPL through Bristol?

AlphaMale
3rd Nov 2008, 22:02
Ok, now we're talking.

PPL in less than 6 weeks in a nice climate that can be done at half the cost of the UK. I plan on doing my ATPL GS with BGS when I get back so similar situation to you Boro.

I've not decided on CPL/IR due to many reasons such as the job availability with the biz jets / airlines, cost of the training in the UK/Abroad etc.

I think I'll make some enquieries with other SA schools and this time change £3,000 into Rand when I think I'm getting a good exchange rate(anything over R16). :O

South African Pilot
24th Jan 2009, 18:47
I'm starting my PPL with CTFTC in february. During my visits to the school I found the staff to be friendly and very knowledgeable. It's very small and the aerodrome they opperate out of is old and a little neglected. taking into consideration they are not the only establishment at fisantekral. They also have a nice selection of aircraft including a yak 52 and its only a stone throw away from cape town international, paarl durbanville and stellenbosch.

Progress and 43 do sound great but i live and work in the area so thats my reason for selecting them.

I'll gladly email you a couple of pictures that I've taken if you like.

peace:ok:

mover shaker
26th Jan 2009, 13:10
43 Air School are probably the best - they do training (or used to) for Kenyan Airways, South African Airways, Police force choppers, Cityjet in Ireland...
Big school, own airfield and own aircraft maintenance facilities.
More expensive than other schools but you'll be doing a fully integrated course which is more appealing to airlines than the modular route if thats the way you're headed and you'll find airlines in the UK and Europe have heard of them which helps when your cv is on the pile.

Mikehotel152
26th Jan 2009, 20:18
Fisantekraal Airfield is indeed a little neglected. The concrete runways are rough in parts and there is no air-to-ground radio as far as I remember. A lot of student pilots from other flying clubs visit for circuits because Fisantekraal is remote, quiet, and fairly near the general handling area used by most student pilots in the Cape Town area. I'm sure it's friendly on the ground, but I would warn that it's in the middle of nowhere and you would need a hire car.

safta
27th Jan 2009, 06:19
Although SAFTA advises potential students that a PPL takes between 75 to 90 days, we have had many students complete the PPL in less than 60 days, and students who have even completed the flying portion in less than 30 days.

The South African PPL theory is based on the JAR syllabus and therefore requires substantial lectures to be able to pass the exams. SAFTA has full-time lecturers and offers our students a proper grounding as the majority of our students continue on with CPL training. We also have our own PPL online testing centre so that students can test as and when they are ready to do so. It is very much up to the student's ability and dedication as to how long it will take to obtain a PPL.

SAFTA maintains a surplus availability of aircraft and instructors so that students are able to fly when they need to.

Additionally, many of the schools mentioned in this post are severely affected by the volatile and unpredictable South African coastal weather. We have had over ten students from some of the schools mentioned in this thread join SAFTA in just the last three months due to the coastal weather having affected their training progress so badly and we have many more students who have enquired about joining SAFTA from other coastal schools.

SAFTA's advanced training and aircraft maintenance operation is located at Rand Airport in Germiston and on the 1st of March 2009 we will be expanding our operations by moving our ab-initio training to Heidelberg which is just 25 minutes drive from Rand Airport and Johannesburg. Our new facility there can accommodate 140 students and we will be the only operator at the airfield. The town of Heidelberg is extremely safe and is located in a country setting.

Additionally, SAFTA only operates type certified aircraft and one of the schools mentioned in this thread operates non type certified aircraft and that is why they are able to train pilots for the prices they advertise. Future employers will not be very impressed with students who train in aircraft some consider to be microlights.

Also, be very aware that coastal flight schools have no way of predicting how long a PPL will take as they are at the mercy of the South African coastal weather which is known for being severe and long-lasting. There is a reason that the first explorers to discover Cape Town nicknamed it "The Cape of Storms".

SAFTA does not make optimistic claims about training times but instead advertises realistic and obtainable training periods. MAYBE THIS IS WHY WE HAVE NEVER HAD A STUDENT LEAVE US TO JOIN ANOTHER FLIGHT SCHOOL, YET SO MANY OF OUR STUDENTS HAVE JOINED US FROM OTHER SCHOOLS!!

aintboeingaintgoing
12th Apr 2012, 13:16
I think that saying the weather on the cost is volatile is a slight exaggeration, I have flown out of Rand and down at the coast and have had issues with weather at both….
If anything at the coast you will be dealing with stronger winds, much better for the crosswind landings technique. J
I did a lot of flight training at Border Aviation in East London, they were brilliant, and nothing was too much trouble. You can book as many flights a day as you like (although I would not do more than 2 sessions a day)
I converted the SA CPL IR to the UK JAR so if you have any questions feel free to inbox me and when I get a chance ill answer them.
All schools have their good and bad points, I know if you are in the UK it is difficult but NOTHING beats actually going to the school yourself and chatting to the instructors perhaps even doing a back seat flight and making your mind up that way.

DSSJunior
25th Jul 2012, 10:54
I am also currently researching flight schools in SA, but am quite demoralised by the costs. I would be interested to hear more about what that R195,000 includes, as this is by far the cheapest option I have come across.