PDA

View Full Version : Fleet Air Arm Officers Association Gliding Scholarships for 2009

airborne_artist
28th Oct 2008, 16:09
Full info here (http://www.fleetairarmoa.org/pages/aviation_scholarship_awards/scholarship.shtml) and a link to the online application form is on that page.

A total of fifty-one scholars were awarded gliding scholarships in 2008 - 38 male and 13 female. Courses take place at Lee-on-Solent, Culdrose and Yeovilton in the Easter and Summer holidays. All attendees can then join the Naval Air Careers Initiative which awards places on powered flying courses on 727 Squadron at VL, further week-end gliding at Lee, and perhaps VL in 2009, and places on the Summer Camp at BRNC.

While I think all places were allocated in 2008, the courses are not heavily over-subscribed, so an application is well worth it. As an add-on, the course counts as a Duke of Edinburgh Gold residential course. The course is completely free - you even get a rail warrant for your journey, and you stay for free, fully catered, in the Wardroom while on the course.

PM me if you need any further info.

Mods - could this be made a sticky for the month of November? VMT.

airborne_artist
29th Oct 2008, 20:55
These scholarships are particularly aimed at those who are hoping to serve as commissioned aircrew in the FAA, so it's expected that applicants will have/be aiming at academic achievements in line with current officer entry standards, which as most will know are two A-levels with least 180 UCAS points. Since the minimum age is 16, there's no requirement to already meet the standard, just that you are heading in the right direction.

airborne_artist
1st Dec 2008, 16:18
Bumpety bump :ok:

wannabe87
2nd Dec 2008, 11:22
Thanks for the link- I have just submitted my application.
Fingers crossed! :)

Benjybh
2nd Dec 2008, 22:23
AA, Worth applying as 16 year old non-cadet with zilch flying experience to get my foot in the FAA's door?

airborne_artist
4th Dec 2008, 06:00
Yes - no flying experience is needed :ok:

CirrusF
4th Dec 2008, 09:18
And remember that learning to glide to a high level will serve you well in a subsequent flying career. Many of the best "hands-on" pilots I know are ex-glider pilots - including a large proportion of the Securité Civile pilots who fly the Canadair waterbombers here in France, which I reckon must be some of the most skilful hands-on flying there is.

Benjybh
5th Dec 2008, 18:15
Application in!

Two more questions for Mr AA (sorry!)

Would the fact that I haven't attended an Cadet Service count against me?
Roughly speaking what is the application/place ratio for the course?All the best,

Ben :)

airborne_artist
6th Dec 2008, 06:43
Would the fact that I haven't attended an Cadet Service count against me?
Roughly speaking what is the application/place ratio for the course?

1. No
2. I don't have that info, but believe it is almost 1:1

Benjybh
6th Dec 2008, 07:57
Fantastic, Cheers AA!

Benjybh
13th Feb 2009, 14:21
I got my letter through today - I'm in!

Thanks for the help everyone, especially airbourne_artist :ok:

Hangar_9
13th Feb 2009, 19:30
Same Here :ok:

Although the letter i recieved reads:

"Further to the award of your FAAOA Gliding scholarship..."

I havent received an initial "well done" letter?
Just me or has more than one letter arrived in the wrong order?

I hope to god this isn't an admin error :}

Thanks,
Sam

airborne_artist
13th Feb 2009, 20:04
Well done, both of you :ok:

Benjybh
13th Feb 2009, 20:12
Don't worry, my one reads the same - I hope we are not both on the receiving end of an admin error!! :}

Cheers a_a :ok:

airborne_artist
9th Mar 2009, 12:27
Ask your D of E mentor about that. Well done on the solo - my daughter was on the first summer 2008 CU course - I think you only had four good flyable days?

Benjybh
9th Mar 2009, 14:06
Did you get my PM, a_a?

Benjybh
9th Mar 2009, 22:33
Just a quick update to say that I have created a Facebook group for everyone who was awarded a FAAOA Gliding Scholarship in 2009; PM me for the link of have a search for 'FAAOA Gliding Scholarships 2009'.

Cheers,

Ben :ok:

nunquamparatus
10th Mar 2009, 11:03
This is great stuff. The opportunities to do a wide variety of aviation are just as broad within the Royal navy as they are within the RAF or the AAC - perhaps more so in some cases. For young people to be given the chance to get a glimpse of aviation with an RN/FAA slant is a good thing - not just for the service but for them too. And if they do all of this and choose to be a bricklayer/plumber/C130 pilot at the end of it all, well, as long as they enjoyed the experience. I have only one question; which fearless aviator types are instructing then? I only ask as there used to be some interesting people instructing Joint Services Hang-gliding................God help these cadets if they find themselves strapped into a glider with Sch......... :E:E:E:

Benjybh
10th Mar 2009, 11:08
Thanks for putting my mind at rest...:eek::ok:

nunquamparatus
10th Mar 2009, 11:30
Ben,

Fear not! The chances of you being fortunate enough to be flown by that individual are few and far between I suppose. Shame though - with my limited knowledge of aerodynamics I suspect there is little hope of putting a glider into the hover-stop but I reckon if anyone could it would be him! Seriously, have a great time and always remember the two bucket rule.
:ok:

dave_perry
10th Mar 2009, 11:45
Guys,

I applied before Christmas and still haven't heard anything. But I haven't had any letter to say yes or no.

Does this mean I was unsuccessful?

6Z3
10th Mar 2009, 13:31
Number 3 son applied also, but didn't hear anything. Whereas daughter applied at the same time and got both an acknowledgement before christmas and a place a few weeks ago, about the same day as the other chaps on this thread. Make of that what you will, but I've advised him not to get his hopes up; chances are his application got lost.

Benjybh
10th Mar 2009, 14:54
the Two Bucket rule

Care to elaborate?!:hmm:

airborne_artist
10th Mar 2009, 15:29
DP and 6Z3 - check yr PMs

nunquamparatus
10th Mar 2009, 17:06
Can't claim to be the originator of this one but it is a great moral for not just aviation but life in general (think it was published in a RN Cockpit article but think that was plagiarised from a USAF article - I stand ready to be corrected)

You start off in life with two buckets. One is marked 'Experience' and one is marked 'Luck'. The 'Experience' bucket starts off empty and you fill it up very slowly. The 'Luck' bucket starts off full and you can take stuff out of it but never refill it. The more the 'Experience' bucket fills up the more you can dip into it - but you can always fill it up again. If, at some point, you come to the bottom of the 'Luck' bucket then you have to expect the consequences. Moral of the story, keep it safe, build up your experience slowly, don't dip into the 'Luck' bucket too often and remember that everything has a pK of 1.0 if it hits you.

Enjoy the gliding - and remember - if the sh*t is coming out of your collar you are probably upside down.

Lynxy
10th Mar 2009, 23:53
Alright lads! My name is Eliott and I have won a scholarship for 3rd - 11th April at RNAS Yeovilton and I can't wait! I look forward to seeing those on the same date there!
I have a question, what should I wear for the journey? Smart clothes or normal clothes? Also, how should I address any of the officers in the wardroom?
Thanks for reading,
Eliott/Lynxy:ok::ok::ok::ok::ok:

airborne_artist
11th Mar 2009, 10:01
Travel in tidy clothes, but no need to be ultra smart. Start off calling all the (male) officers Sir - they'll almost certainly ask you to call them by their first name. You'll be briefed on all protocols by your course officer, who will meet you when you arrive.

The gliding scholarships take place at VL and CU during block leave periods, so the wardroom will be quieter than normal.

cats_five
11th Mar 2009, 12:34
Start off calling all the (male) officers Sir

And any female officers? 'Sir' won't go down so well with them.... :)

nunquamparatus
11th Mar 2009, 12:45
For female officers its Ma'am (rhymes with ham)

Benjybh
11th Mar 2009, 15:21
The gliding scholarships take place at VL and CU during block leave periods, so the wardroom will be quieter than normal.

Even the April EGDY course?

airborne_artist
11th Mar 2009, 15:49
Yes, there's block leave at Easter, too. Easier than mixing Lynx, SK4 and gliders together in the circuit...

Benjybh
11th Mar 2009, 17:14
Ok, I guess that makes sense! Does that mean there will be no regular flying whatsoever during the week?

Jucky
11th Mar 2009, 17:20
The airfield will be fairly busy this year so gliding will take place at Merryfield.

Lynxy
11th Mar 2009, 17:27
what so the gliding isnt at Yeovilton?
Thanks
Eliott/Linxy:ok:

Benjybh
11th Mar 2009, 17:27
Ok, thanks. Just one thing...how do we get to Merryfield?

Jucky
11th Mar 2009, 18:04
You will be taken there each day. It's not far.

Benjybh
11th Mar 2009, 18:08
And this is for the Easter course, yes?

airborne_artist
11th Mar 2009, 18:53
Merryfield has an interesting history (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RAF_Merryfield) - the 101st Airborne used it as one of their mounting airfields for D-Day - imagine the scene with the place buzzing with C-47s (Dakotas).
It's here
(http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&q=Copse+Ln,+Ilton,+Ilminster,+Somerset+TA19,+United+Kingdom&sll=50.955352,-2.928897&sspn=0.003447,0.006909&ie=UTF8&cd=1&geocode=FVV_CQMdeVjT_w&split=0&ll=50.962049,-2.937641&spn=0.02757,0.055275&t=h&z=14)

Jucky
11th Mar 2009, 22:38
And this is for the Easter course, yes?

Yes and most likely the summer course too.

Benjybh
13th Mar 2009, 14:32
Sorry, me again!

Now with a question regarding what to wear for the flying itself; it says in the little information pack that 'students may wear whatever they wish for gliding', but I'm not really sure what to wear.

My usual college attire is a pair of nice jeans and a collared ****, with a pullover if it is a bit cold, but I would rather not wear jeans for this, nor turn up in a growbag and look like a pr*ck. Is there such a thing as a pair of 'growbag trousers' - i.e. something comfortable with plenty of easily-accessable pockets, yet won't look out of place with a casual outfit?

Finally, shoes: Light boots or trainers?

All the best,

Ben :ok:

airborne_artist
13th Mar 2009, 15:08
a collared **** always looks nice :E

Ben - gliding involves a lot of pushing/pulling, generally mucking in to get it all set up, and so a fleece that you can unzip (if hot...) over a rugby shirt (or similar) and a pair of tracksuit bottoms, plus the light boots or trainers (ground will be damp in spring, and early summer mornings) is fine.

It really is not a fashion parade, and a grow-bag would be over-kill.

Benjybh
13th Mar 2009, 15:14
always looks nice http://static.pprune.org/images/smilies/evil.gif

Sorry :O

Ok, that seems fair enough to me; thanks! :ok:

Benjybh
13th Mar 2009, 21:18
http://i129.photobucket.com/albums/p204/bennybh/GlideNavycopy.jpg

Well why not, eh?! Knocked it up between bursts of reading 'Gliding - From passenger to pilot'! :ok:

ollyhol
29th Mar 2009, 17:30
hello guys im Olly and im on the 3rd April Yeovilton scholarship, has anybody had any trouble with their GP certification? I am still waiting for mine. also has anybody got their warrants yet?

And remember that learning to glide to a high level will serve you well in a subsequent flying career. Many of the best "hands-on" pilots I know are ex-glider pilots - including a large proportion of the Securité Civile pilots who fly the Canadair waterbombers here in France, which I reckon must be some of the most skilful hands-on flying there is.

We used to go to Provence a lot when i was younger and i remember the Canadairs refuelling at the Lac de St Croix, they were amazing.

airborne_artist
29th Mar 2009, 18:33
The warrants are sent out from DNR (Directorate Naval Recruiting), and you'll get one, but perhaps only a week before your course. Chase your contact if it does not come within five days of your start.

What issues are you having with your GP? It should be a question of attending, a quick listen to your heart, BP check, and a signature.

ollyhol
29th Mar 2009, 19:01
the women at the counter of my surgery did not seem to have a clue what the certification included. i left the form there and they told me id have to pay upon collection but they didn't mention need for examination!!!!!!!

Benjybh
29th Mar 2009, 21:18
Hi Olly,
I'm on your course :)
I still haven't got my form back from my GP either - I left it with them 3 weeks ago and have kept chasing it up but to no avail!!
A nice bloke from the RN phoned me up last Thursday to say the warrants will arrive early this week, if that helps?
And finally, are you on Facebook? I've set up a group (just search FAAOA Gliding 2009) and four of us on the April VL course have 'hooked up' as it were.
Oh, and if you want to find me on FB, just search for my PPRuNe username with '@gmail.com' tacked onto the end.

ollyhol
30th Mar 2009, 12:27
oh hy mate, where are you travelling down from? and sorry no dont have facebook, im really worried about this medical malarky! i spoke to Linda Purse ( Lt Commander M. Purse's wife) and she said to take it down on the day. If it is not ready by Friday i am going to leave an addressed enelope and ask them if they wouldnt mind posting it as apparantly we only need it for final day when we undertake soloflight. Do you Know if a medical examination is neccessary or does the form just consist of them countersigning to say your not epileptic etc. etc.? im [email protected] if any info comes up.

ProM
30th Mar 2009, 12:35
I don't know about this one olly, but when I had my medical for a race license it was a total joke. Sat there with my GP and the form, he went through the questions and asked me and I told him the answers. he then signs to say it is all true and accepts a cheque for an unwarranted amount.

ollyhol
30th Mar 2009, 13:56
would you mind p.m-ing me the unwarranted amount?
cheers!

airborne_artist
30th Mar 2009, 14:14
My daughter's gliding medical form was signed for free by our GP - but he's ex-RAF, so perhaps he was a bit biased. :ok:

ProM
30th Mar 2009, 14:31
I will PM this to Olly, but thought others might wan to know. Mine was years ago but IIRC it cost £120.

Each GP can set their own fees, but the BMA recommendations are at
http://www.bma.org.uk/images/Fees11_tcm41-180670.pdf

This case could fall into any of 3 categories as far as I can see

b) Report on a pro forma, no examination
(eg 20 minutes) . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 75.75
c) Written report without examination, providing a detailed
opinion and statement on the condition of the patient
(eg 30 minutes) . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 113.00
d) Comprehensive clinical examination including report,
certificate, or completion of necessary forms
(eg 45 minutes) . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 169.50

ollyhol
31st Mar 2009, 20:33
this is beginning to trouble me, still no sign of completed form!!!!!! anybody else has been/ is, in similar circumstances? I need it by Thursday daytime ideally, but i might ask them to send it on to yeovilton if they complete it after i have left for yeovilton (friday the 3rd) but before i need it (what ever day we undertake solo flight).

Benjybh
31st Mar 2009, 22:17
I got mine back yesterday and posted it this morning - it cost £15 by the way.

ollyhol
1st Apr 2009, 09:22
mine is now complete, but im not going to risk it in post as its a bit late. im going to take it down with me. yea mine was a tenner,

Hangar_9
1st May 2009, 17:41
Hi,
Having been told about two months ago i had been successful in gaining a scholarship i have heard nothing since in terms of dates etc..
I sent off the return sheet but as yet nothing has happened. I have called the number on the intial letter repeatedly but have never been able to get through :confused:

Thanks,
Sam

airborne_artist
1st May 2009, 18:17
I imagine you have requested a course this summer, so it might be a bit early for the final allocations to be made. I'll check, and get back to you though. I'm not at all involved in the scheme, but I know who is.

Hangar_9
1st May 2009, 18:20
Much appreciated :)

Benjybh
7th Jul 2009, 14:54
Right, it's me again!

I haven't posted anything about the course yet here, so...

Well, what can I say? The best week of my life, bar none! If you are unsure whether to sign up for a gliding course, do it ASAP! I cannot reccommend it highly enough. I met some great people - all the people on the course were brilliant and we had a great time in the wardroom every night. The weather was okay, torrential rain one day but this meant that we could have a day off flying to wander around the FAA Museum and be shown round the RNHF and 846 hangars. One one afternoon we went up in Piper Warriors for a Navex, and most of us got stick time on that too. But of course the best part was the gliding - the guys at Heron Gliding club, both instructors and people who helped us launch etc. were really helpful. In fact they were so helpful that I managed to solo after 21 launches and just under 6 hours flight time - the best (and at the same time most terrifying!) experience ever!. :ok:

This afternoon I managed to wangle a place on an Air Aquaint course at Culdrose in November, along with a mate of mine from the gliding. Any insight into what might happen there would be much appreciated.

So, thanks too all in this thread who have given me advice, and (without this turning into an Oscars speech) in particular airbourne_artist who brought this FAAOA scholarship to my attention in the first place.

Cheers,

airborne_artist
7th Jul 2009, 15:22
Ben - glad it was a great success. Not sure if you have also posted something similar on Rum Ration? If not, please do.

My daughter (Gliding Schol at CU last August) has two days gliding (six aerotows planned) this weekend at Lee on Solent, paid for by the Naval Air Careers Initiative, which is a follow on from the FAA Gliding Scholarships. Four of them are going. She had pretty poor weather at CU so was not able to get to solo standard, but hopes to get there this time around.

The FAA acquaint lasts four days, and will take you round all/most of the aviation depts at CU. You should get at least one flight.

Benjybh
7th Jul 2009, 15:43
Ah ok, thanks! Just out of interest, how did your daughter get the 'follow on' course? I've joined the Naval-Air Careers Initiative or whatever it's called, and it said that I would be eligible for further flying, either with 727 in the Grob or gliding with a naval gliding club. Any hints - I'd feel a bit mean calling the same person twice in the same day to nab myself more flying as well! :}

Ta.

6Z3
7th Jul 2009, 15:55
I was interested to see on the FAAOA website that the age criteria for the scholarship has been narrowed from 16-21 yr to 16-18 yr olds. So even if the lady hadn't lost my son's application(!), he would now be much too old at 21. Daughter is looking forward very much to the Culdrose summer camp, though she is struggling with some aspects of the recommended reading on gliding for beginners.

airborne_artist
7th Jul 2009, 16:06
Ben - Commander Bertis Vigrass sent out Naval Air Careers Initiative info last autumn/winter to all last years' scholars, I recall. You'll get yours in good time, and there will be activities offered to you in Summer 2010 I expect.

6Z3 - in what respect is your daughter struggling? Is it hard to find the title mentioned? I think I found one of them after a bit of Googling, and it was in an online secon-hand bookstore.

6Z3
7th Jul 2009, 16:15
A-A, oh no, she's got one of the recommended books ok (Beginning Gliding by Derek Piggott), it's just a bit dry and wordy - small print and even smaller diagrams. I'm having to read ahead of her and translate, and even I find it sleep-inducing.

airborne_artist
7th Jul 2009, 16:18
Our copy came just as Miss AA was leaving for VL, so I didn't get a chance to read it.

I can imagine that it's not very learner-friendly, but I hope she can make enough sense to get off to a good start. I expect that she won't tested on it!

airborne_artist
8th Jul 2009, 12:52
The scholarships and activities are great, but you still need good aptitude, and a good result at AIB. Aptitude may be helped by gliding/powered flying, but it won't improve your mental maths, for example, which is tested in the aptitude tests.

AIB are not looking for people who have done lots of course/scholarships/acquaints - they want people with leadership skills/potential who can express themselves well and who have already gained knowledge of the Service etc., some of which could have been acquired on visits, but could also be found by reading up in the library/web.

Have you been afloat with the RN yet? It'd help ground your knowledge very well.

Benjybh
8th Jul 2009, 13:36
Have you been afloat with the RN yet? It'd help ground your knowledge very well.

Nice pun. :}

That's another thing I would love to do sometime - is it simply something I would discuss with my ACLO or will it need me to speak to someone directly?

airborne_artist
8th Jul 2009, 14:28
is it simply something I would discuss with my ACLO

Yes, ask nicely, but ask often....

Hangar_9
5th Jan 2010, 23:34
Hi all.

Received a letter today regarding the "Air Careers Initiative". It seems my flying report was good and have been invited to join the above. Does anybody know when and how long the courses with 727 sqn are and what exactly is involved?

Thanks,
Sam.

airborne_artist
6th Jan 2010, 09:54
You stay in the officers mess

I think you'll find you stayed in the Wardroom :ok: