PDA

View Full Version : Flight Manual Supplements...

griffothefog
28th Oct 2008, 11:24
Say you are flying a Bell 407 in EMS configuration, and all the equipment is approved... Is it legal to operate without an appropriate supplement in the aircraft flight manual?
All info greatfully recieved :ok:

spinwing
28th Oct 2008, 11:35
Mmmm ....

.... don't believe it is ..... the flight manual supplements which reflect the aircraft fit out have to be incorporated into the manual for it to be a valid legal document .... and you will find that in order to meet the requirements of the Maintenance Release, (and thus the Airworthiness Certificate and the appropriate regulations & or ANO's) you MUST have the up to date Flight Manual the aboard the aircraft.

Cheers mate :uhoh:

Bravo73
28th Oct 2008, 11:35
Isn't that what heema just asked in another thread (http://www.pprune.org/rotorheads/348744-leagl-mr-birde.html)? :E

And I think you already know what the answer is: non!

UCLogic
28th Oct 2008, 13:03
It depends on what the configurations are approved and the manner of their approval.

If the modification that installed the EMS fit also covered a configuration where the fixed fittings only installed then it is entirely possible that the Part 1 FMS may include reference to this configuration. If this is the case then the FMS is required.

If however the fixed fittings are installed and approved under a different modification from the main EMS fit then it is highly likely that there is no Part 1 FMS required for these.

To be fair you really need to talk to the STC or major change approval holder for your specific installation to find out. In our company we have always tried to separate the two issues for just this reason and to keep flexibility of the aircraft. This really helps in organisations where there may be a backup aircraft that may perform other tasks when not required

spinwing
28th Oct 2008, 21:21
UCLogic ...

As a rough guide .... ANY configuration/change from the "standard aircraft" (as described in the Airworthiness Certificate supplied by a manufacturer) requires mention in the aircraft flight manual which IS a legal (and controlled) document.

Any modification, including an STC once incorporated HAS to have the applicable supplement incorporated in the aircraft flight manual AND it is the responsibility of the aircrafts maintenance organisation to see that this is done. (It might affect the a/c W&B for example).

Technically an aircraft cannot be signed out as "servicable" unless this has been done. It is then the pilots responsibility to ensure that the aircraft he accepts for flight is acceptable and that he is aware of the a/c configuration.

All of which may have consequences with regard aircraft insurance etc etc. and of course is subject to the requirements of particular licencing authorities.

Cheers :ooh:

UCLogic
29th Oct 2008, 13:39
Spinwing

Perhaps I might refer you to EASA CS29.1581 for the legal rules in EASA land. the others are similar I believe.

Try looking for the Part 1 supplements (which cover normal and emergency procedures, operating limitations and loading information not operation and use information) for every modification that is listed in your mod record book or equivalent for your aircraft. I suspect there will be a long list of items for which there is no supplement.

If a modification does not introduce any abnormal, emergency procedures, change limitations or introduce loading changes which a pilot can influence i.e. not in the weighing report/basic weight sheet then a supplement may not be required. During the minor and major change process the need for a supplement is evaluated at an early stage this is a critical part of the determination as to whether it is a minor or major change. For clarification a major change requires an STC a minor change may be approved under other means such as the Part 21 design approval under EASA and ODA in FAA, I think CASA has a similar arrangement.

spinwing
29th Oct 2008, 22:05
UCLogic ....

I have no reason to doubt what you say ..... I did say my post was a rough guide .... and without specific examples to quote I think covers the reality of most cases .... It is the responsibility of the a/c maintenance organisation to determine whether there is a requirement for action in that direction (ie update of AFM) if it is not required by the appropriate authority obviously it won't need to be done!

And with regard to griffo's original post .... how would you know what modifications to an aircraft are or are not approved without the update/supplement in the AFM .....

Cheers

:hmm:

wigglyamp
29th Oct 2008, 22:21
And with regard to griffo's original post .... how would you know what modifications to an aircraft are or are not approved without the update/supplement in the AFM .....

The approval certificate for the modification - this may be the FAA or EASA STC certificate, or the design approval document issued by the design organisation (Part 21J in EASA-land) will state when an AFM supplement is needed and will specifically list the supplement number, revision staus and possibly date of approval.
Under EASA, some modifications classified as 'Minor' can still have an AFM supplement approved via the Form 36 route - typically this can apply to Traffic Advisory Systems, BRNav compliance etc. A similar route exists under FAA rules where a local FSDO can approve an AFM supplement as part of the Form 337 approval process.